Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

dreamchaser
Banned User
And1: 166

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#81 » by dreamchaser » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm

team stream said that kg rejected cp3's personal approach to accept trade to the clips... yep kg is definitely going to retire as a celtic...
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#82 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Beardman wrote:
spudwebb wrote:
This IsMy House wrote:What franchise/culture did he change? Boston was already a winning culture? Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.

RealGM is full of 13 year old's that started watching the NBA like 5 years ago. KG = 13 time all-defensive team and 9 time all-defensive 1st team. Rivers coached the Celtics since 2004? and sucked. KG came and the Celtics culture changed.

You guys are acting surprised about a bandwagon Heat fan having a casual opinion on basketball. Just roll with the punches man. :rofl:

HAHA! Yup jumped right on that bandwagon when it started in 88......nice try. :lol: :roll:
I Stand With The []_[]!
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#83 » by Froob » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Beardman wrote:Kinda selfish...he stopped the Celtics from retooling. They tried to put him on a contender and get value for him at the same time and he cock blocked it smh.

Does he think management will act in his favor after this ? the fans may still like him but its bad blood with the front office now.

I don't think they can really be mad at him for using the no trade clause that they agreed to give him. Could be wrong though just my 2 cents.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
diablerouge
Analyst
And1: 260

Post#84 » by diablerouge » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:16 pm

i'm always amazed that boston fans are buying the loyalty schtick that the celtics are selling when danny ainge looks to trade guys left and right every single year.

he traded ray allen to memphis then memphis pulled out at the 11th hour. he had a deal to the clips for garnett and kg had to wave his no-trade. he lobbed a rondo package to LA for dwight.

but the players should bleed green?
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#85 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:18 pm

Froob wrote:the heat to honor him. It's just silly. They probably only do it for a ticket gimmick. I hate the lakers with all my heart but, at least they are a respectable franchise and would never do something that dumb.

Ticket gimmick? Yes people go to games just to watch a jersey sit on the wall....
I Stand With The []_[]!
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#86 » by SweetTouch » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm

He already got some nice paper from the Celtics

HE probably has a deal to get another extension when he's 40

Get that paper old fella!
Stop being so disrespectful.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#87 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

diablerouge wrote:i'm always amazed that boston fans are buying the loyalty schtick that the celtics are selling when danny ainge looks to trade guys left and right every single year.

he traded ray allen to memphis then memphis pulled out at the 11th hour. he had a deal to the clips for garnett and kg had to wave his no-trade. he lobbed a rondo package to LA for dwight.

Uhh no? As has been reported, veterans from Bostons locker room came in and forced Ainge to cancel the trade. Why do you think Garnett was so fed up with Ray afterwards, genius?

If you have your doubts, then please take a search on the Boston forums -- the reports citing it are there & even OJ Mayo was quoted stating it to be so.

Edit, here it is since you obviously have no clue what you were referencing:
“I was pretty much set to come here and something fell through at the very last second. A couple of the guys wanted to keep Ray, and management wanted to make the trade.”

And what @ the first part? This is about KG's loyalty. Not the organizations; it's going to act as a business first(hence why KG made sure he had a no-trade clause). wow.. :roll:

Signature by freshcontrast
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#88 » by Beardman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Froob wrote:
Beardman wrote:Kinda selfish...he stopped the Celtics from retooling. They tried to put him on a contender and get value for him at the same time and he cock blocked it smh.

Does he think management will act in his favor after this ? the fans may still like him but its bad blood with the front office now.

I don't think they can really be mad at him for using the no trade clause that they agreed to give him. Could be wrong though just my 2 cents.
I guess they can't be mad with a HOF wanting to retire with their franchise. Still Ainge was too generous to give 35 yr old KG a clause, you always have to keep the rebuild window at least a little open.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#89 » by BigTrade92 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:42 pm

After reading through this thread I'm convinced a majority of the posters on RealGM know absolutely nothing about basketball.
kenifpassion
Pro Prospect
And1: 127

Post#90 » by kenifpassion » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:50 pm

i think he knows he won't get another ring in Boston.
2000s BEST TEAMS
1st team: Nash-Kobe-LeBron-KG-Dwight
2nd team: Iverson-Vince-Pierce-Duncan-Shaq
3rd team: Kidd/Parker-Wade-McGrady-Dirk-Yao
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#91 » by CBB_Fan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Obviously KG cares more about retiring with one (and a half) teams and being remembered as a Celtic, and Ray Allen cares more about helping a team win even if he isn't the star and it hurts his long-term legacy with a lot of people.

I don't either guy is wrong. They just have different priorities.
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#92 » by desertlakerfan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Too bad, the Clippers would have been something else with him anchoring them. Still, classy thing from Garnett, and i'm sure the Celtics fans appreciate it, even though a Bledsoe+Jordan package would have been great at this point in time.

Too bad for the Clippers that is, I was a bit worried they would make this move and become the western conference favorites for the finals. With OKC trading Harden there really is no clear cut favorite in the west right now, Clippers turning DJ and Bledsoe into KG could of easily put them over the top to challenge the Heat.

Im a bit curious as to what Celtics fans feel is so important about loyalty from KG when you're rebuilding. I don't think you're going to get much better than Bledsoe and DJ for KG. That's two starter quality young players you can rebuild with.
diablerouge
Analyst

Post#93 » by diablerouge » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

supremacy wrote:
diablerouge wrote:i'm always amazed that boston fans are buying the loyalty schtick that the celtics are selling when danny ainge looks to trade guys left and right every single year.

Uhh no? As has been reported, veterans from Bostons locker room came in and forced Ainge to cancel the trade. Why do you think Garnett was so fed up with Ray afterwards, genius?

If you have your doubts, then please take a search on the Boston forums -- the reports citing it are there & even OJ Mayo was quoted stating it to be so.

“I was pretty much set to come here and something fell through at the very last second. A couple of the guys wanted to keep Ray, and management wanted to make the trade.”

And what @ the first part? This is about KG's loyalty. Not the organizations; it's going to act as a business first(hence why KG made sure he had a no-trade clause). wow.. :roll:

1- what feel through is memphis backing out. players never wanted ray to leave but that didn't stop doc from calling ray to tell him he was traded. danny ainge doesn't consult players on trades.
2- the first part is to illustrate how ridiculous it is that boston fans complain about the lack of loyalty from the players when their management has none. expecting unilateral loyalty is silly - can anybody guarantee that ray allen would be in boston right now if he had signed a new contract?
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 pm

diablerouge wrote:
supremacy wrote:

1- what feel through is memphis backing out. players never wanted ray to leave but that didn't stop doc from calling ray to tell him he was traded. danny ainge doesn't consult players on trades.
2- the first part is to illustrate how ridiculous it is that boston fans complain about the lack of loyalty from the players when their management has none. expecting unilateral loyalty is silly - can anybody guarantee that ray allen would be in boston right now if he had signed a new contract?

Once again, you're wrong. You have sources close to both organizations, including Mayo himself stating that the reason Allen wasn't traded was because the "veterans" persuaded Ainge NOT to finalize what was practically a done deal. But hey, in your case it's probably more convenient to believe an outside source instead of the player himself that was supposed to be traded. Where do you think Mayo got his information from? His GM or an "outside source"?

And while I think it's pretty idiotic to generalize any fan-base as you just did, it's on par with the rest of your statements. The main issue was never with Ray's "loyalty" but more-so with the fact that he chose to go to the Heat. Especially after certain guys had lobbied for the trade to not go through(this was obviously made known well after the fact). It's understandable, but at the same time irrational.

Garnett is not loyal to Ainge per se. He's loyal to the brand that is the Boston Celtics, his teammates, the fans, etc. At the same time he understands first and foremost that it is a business and that he may be subject to being traded(hence the no trade clause). It enforces the idea that it's primarily a business first, guided by self-interests. That doesn't mean loyalty is non-existent or that there's an expectation of unilateral loyalty throughout the organization. Some facets don't show this, but many do. A GM would not be a good GM if he was loyal to his players. His job is to make the team better by any means necessary. Loyalty in this instance DOES NOT have to be reciprocated. Many are able to understand this, but apparently some just can't grasp this concept.

DWiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 698

Post#95 » by DWiz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Do Celtics fans want a rebuild or do they want KG and Pierce till they bow out ?
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#96 » by PetroNet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm

why the fck would garnett want to play with a bitch like chris paul and for a terrible coach like del negro when he can stay in boston and play for doc rivers?

Clippers have no shot anyhow. too much comp inthe west and will get clowned by spurs or thunder.

celtics at least have a extreme long shot to upset miami in a weak east similar to last year
Nobymoby
Starter
And1: 532

Post#97 » by Nobymoby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Had every right to exercise his no trade clause. Don't see anything to moan about.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant

Post#98 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Prime James wrote:Do Celtics fans want a rebuild or do they want KG and Pierce till they bow out ?

The rebuild is coming. That's for sure. But good luck trading Pierce for a rumored package of Humphries/Brooks or JJ/and whatever other garbage and still keeping your job. There really was no offer that would have substantially expedited the rebuild.

final
Junior
And1: 35

Post#99 » by final » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 pm

I think Garnett is tired and happy enough just staying in Boston where he doesn't need to worry about anything - moving, pressure, money, people around him, organization, etc. Also KG is still the big cheese in Boston proven by calling this C's era the "KG era" along with the "big 3" era.

Also I can't think of any team that routinely puts out their players in trading circles throughout the season for multiple seasons. There is always talk every season about some players with some more prominent than others but most of the big 4 were always available (less so KG) and known to be available. I'm not an nba insider so I don't know how much other teams make their players available but with the Celtics you know that practically every one is available and they get thrown about in trades.

The players seem to try to have some loyalty and I love that but the fans and the organization... screw their "loyalty", never seen so much negativity these past few years from fans. NBA is a business right and can't expect loyalty from the organization so stop wanting loyalty from players, its unfair.
diablerouge
Analyst

Post#100 » by diablerouge » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 pm

supremacy wrote:Once again, you're wrong. You have sources close to both organizations, including Mayo himself stating that the reason Allen wasn't traded was because the "veterans" persuaded Ainge NOT to finalize what was practically a done deal. But hey, in your case it's probably more convenient to believe an outside source instead of the player himself that was supposed to be traded. Where do you think Mayo got his information from? His GM or an "outside source"?

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/01/doc-rivers-memphis-backed-out-of-ray.html

Doc Rivers reaffirmed why O.J. Mayo didn’t become a Celtic last season.

On WEEI Thursday morning, Doc Rivers said Memphis backed out of the deal that that would have swapped Mayo for Ray Allen.

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
Doc on old Ray/Mayo deal: "Memphis pulled plug, not us. … O.J.'s so much younger. That's a trade we really thought we had to look at hard."
2:21 PM - 31 Jan 13

i do agree that it's much romantic to imagine kg and paul bursting in ainge's office and persuading the gm to give one last run to the big 3. even though pierce was also in his hotel room thinking that he was close to being traded to the nets.

Return to The General Board