ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddadi, 2nd-rounder

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Re: Raps acquire Sebastian Telfair for Haddadi, 2nd-rounder 

Post#501 » by thunderforce » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:15 pm

I think he should be our back up because I don't see how Bargs is going to be the first option off the bench if he is not going to get the ball .
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#502 » by Homer Jay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:25 pm

thunderforce wrote:I think he should be our back up because I don't see how Bargs is going to be the first option off the bench if he is not going to get the ball .

Bargs needs to learn how to be the off-the-ball player. He's not going to get the ball at the three-point line and having the option play of jacking or driving. He's either got to go to a location and catch and shoot with no dribble, set the PNR, or follow the cutter for either the dish or jamming home the O-reb. It's so fundamentally different from what he's had to do the last two and a half years, I wonder if he can make the adjustment quickly. It might be a lot more down than up games going forward.
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#503 » by DatBoiCapspace » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Landomar wrote:
YogiStewart wrote:
Landomar wrote:BC is just awful at asset management.

Lucas is fine as backup PG for this season. Telfair is not clearly better than Lucas. We could sign some free agent scrub to provide 3rd string depth. Haddadi's contract shouldn't be part of the motivation for this trade at all, and I hope that it wasn't. It's so small that just waiving him and paying it ourselves should be inconsequential.

Second round picks aren't worth much, even in good draft years like 2014, but there's no reason to just throw them away at the rate that BC does. I can't stand watching this guy make moves, he's not improving at all, and I want BC gone years ago. I want to have a GM who understands value and long term strategy like an Alex Anthopolous or Darryl Morey.

so, on one hand, a 2nd rnd pick is not worth much, but on the other hand, you don't want it used to acquire a known asset with a relatively known ceiling versus an unknown asset that likely has a lower ceiling? seeing that it will be a mid-2nd rnd pick.

and instead of signing a scrub, we traded for a guy that's better than a scrub. and we used a likely-scrub pick to get a guy that's above scrub level.

got it.

It's the principle of the thing. Second round picks are minor assets, but they are assets. It is helpful to have them around for trade purposes, or for filling out the roster with cheap third string depth that has potential. If you do a good job, it's also possible to occassionally find a diamond in the rough, like a Paul Millsap or Chandler Parsons. Just because a future second rounder has relatively low value doesn't mean that you should just toss it away for marginal talent.

Here's are the main problems with giving up anything to add Telfair:

- He's something like the 60th best PG in the NBA. He's a capable backup if you don't have anyone else, but we already have Lowry and Lucas, and aren't desperate for a "proven" backup. It would be fine to bring in the equivalent of Ben Uzoh or whoever. If we take a chance on someone like this, we could even stumble into the next Jamario Moon or Alan Anderson type, which has value. A random guy would also do just fine as insurance against injuries for the rest of this season.

- Telfair is a free agent at the end of the season, so we're only adding him as injury insurance for the next 27 games, in a season where we aren't making the playoffs and are basically gunning for 9th. Even if we somehow do make a miracle run to the 8th seed, I highly doubt that Telfair is going to be an important part of the story.

Its a protected pick and we already have another pick that year, so this one will be high. Well just draft the guy we like in the 2nd round and if our GM is really desperate to grab a second we can always buy picks at that range for like 1 mill. No harm, no foul, calm your horses. And you dont know for a fact that were not making the playoffs so enough of the negativity mr.
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Post#504 » by Dalek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Ganjamayne wrote:
C_Money wrote:Does anybody know if he's going to be playing tonight?

He's apparently in TO now, but won't suit up till Monday.

Are they trying to locate Haddadi?

If he doesn't report to Phoenix, let us be the first to start the "where's your Haddadi?" campaign on Twitter. I think he started a used, big and tall, car dealership in Newark.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#505 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm

I think most of you are undervaluing Telfair. He came into the league with a lot of promise, but was very immature. He grew up in Phoenix. We never had a very good backup pg in our history. Telfair is the first time I really felt good about our depth there behind Nash.

He is a very competent backup. He come in and plays excellent, hard nosed defense, he has a decent shot, he distributes fairly well. I think he is better than Lucas and is well-worth a second round pick. His contract is good and he is still quite young.

The pick is fine for us as Suns fans. We needed to move Telfair because we need to give his minutes to Kendall Marshall. Its just not fair to Bassy to play an inferior rook and sit him on the bench. This trade was done as a favor to Bassy who has been such a good presence here.

The best thing about him is that he is still improving.

You are going to like him. Just watch.

I am mystified that any Toronto fan would think that this is a bad trade. It was a gift. Who complains about giving up a protected second round pick for a player that can actually make an impact?
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,124

Post#506 » by djsunyc » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 pm

telfair should totally take all of jl3's minutes. the hope is that he finds other players to hit the 3.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#507 » by Lord Eder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:24 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:I am mystified that any Toronto fan would think that this is a bad trade. It was a gift. Who complains about giving up a protected second round pick for a player that can actually make an impact?

Toronto Raptors RealGM Fanbase, where the only way to build a team is to trade and amnesty everyone and then tank for 2 decades
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#508 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:37 am

stro wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:I am mystified that any Toronto fan would think that this is a bad trade. It was a gift. Who complains about giving up a protected second round pick for a player that can actually make an impact?

Toronto Raptors RealGM Fanbase, where the only way to build a team is to trade and amnesty everyone and then tank for 2 decades

Ha. Most GM's would be happy if their late first round pick plays as well, and makes the impact that Telfair is at this moment.

He can be a back up for your for a long time. If we could unload Marshall, I would be glad to have him back.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,659

Post#509 » by SkywalkerAC » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:28 am

Anyone else think there's a pretty good chance that Telfair signs on for bargain contract? I suppose he'll be looking to "get paid", given where he's at in his career but if he genuinely likes the guys on the team and feels like he belongs I could see him signing a similar deal to JL3's, maybe for 3-years though.

I think Lowry/Telfair/Lucas should be a pretty damn good PG rotation. We need another point going forward so why wouldn't it be Bassy? If we got a point in the draft, that would change things but otherwise...
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#510 » by TheToothFairy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:36 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:Anyone else think there's a pretty good chance that Telfair signs on for bargain contract? I suppose he'll be looking to "get paid", given where he's at in his career but if he genuinely likes the guys on the team and feels like he belongs I could see him signing a similar deal to JL3's, maybe for 3-years though.

I think Lowry/Telfair/Lucas should be a pretty damn good PG rotation. We need another point going forward so why wouldn't it be Bassy? If we got a point in the draft, that would change things but otherwise...

I don't thinkmu need 3 extremely small PG's
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#511 » by Morris_Shatford » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:Anyone else think there's a pretty good chance that Telfair signs on for bargain contract? I suppose he'll be looking to "get paid", given where he's at in his career but if he genuinely likes the guys on the team and feels like he belongs I could see him signing a similar deal to JL3's, maybe for 3-years though.

He may be looking to get paid but I don't think the market is that great, I tend to agree around JL money assuming he continues to be be dependable on the court.

2/5 or 2/4? Maybe 3/6 with the last year n/g?

With the Suns he showed he could be a reliable back-up and a good citizen, I am not sure what that is worth on the open market?

I think the goal is to bring him in and see how this all shakes out;
We have the option to retain Lucas on a very cheap deal next season, and if Telfair earns the back-up spot and sticks around I tend to agree that that would be a pretty solid rotation at the one and a rotation that would be pretty reasonable next season
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!

Return to Toronto Raptors