ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edition)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt.LI "Trade Deadline" Edit 

Post#1261 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:03 pm

recko321 wrote:Soooooooo what happens now, draft seems forever away :cry:

get these young guys ready for Summer League!!!
j/k...kind of.
the worst part of this, is Harris and Lamb have to learn the system outside of camp.
Beno has been on a few teams now, I'm sure he'll pick up quicker. Also having played in S.A., he and Vaughn probably can relate the system easier.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#1262 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:08 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:It really came across that he and his team are really into moneyball.

I don't think so yet. Because, outside of Vucevic, Moore & Nicholson, all the youth he has gathered are horrible percentage guys as far as efficiency.

I think it's really hard to gauge people as young as we have so early. Will be interested when he assembles his playoff team what they do with money. It seems the goal will be no middle class players. A superstar or two, and a bunch of cheap contracts that produce.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#1263 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:25 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:It really came across that he and his team are really into moneyball.

I don't think so yet. Because, outside of Vucevic, Moore & Nicholson, all the youth he has gathered are horrible percentage guys as far as efficiency.

I think it's really hard to gauge people as young as we have so early. Will be interested when he assembles his playoff team what they do with money. It seems the goal will be no middle class players. A superstar or two, and a bunch of cheap contracts that produce.

I keep wondering why everyone is including Moore, I just looked him up, I thought he was a 3rd year player, not 2nd year. I am a bit more impressed with him now. This year was his 1st year of having a camp, had to learn 2 positions, pretty impressed.
Swiftraven
Senior
And1: 124

Post#1264 » by Swiftraven » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Can anyone sum up Chad Fords Orlando draft preview/ He just posted it on twitter, but it is insider of course.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,606

Post#1265 » by RookieStar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:

j/k...kind of.
the worst part of this, is Harris and Lamb have to learn the system outside of camp.
Beno has been on a few teams now, I'm sure he'll pick up quicker. Also having played in S.A., he and Vaughn probably can relate the system easier.

Henny had stints in SA too right? Anyone here can research on their history together?
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#1266 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Swiftraven wrote:Can anyone sum up Chad Fords Orlando draft preview/ He just posted it on twitter, but it is insider of course.

TWO DIFFERENT ONES.

Magic should get Smart
February, 22, 2013
Feb 22
4:04
PM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN.com

As we noted earlier today, the Orlando Magic have set themselves up for what should be a loss-filled stretch run. They traded their No. 2 scorer, J.J. Redick, to the Milwaukee Bucks Thursday, Hedo Turkoglu is suspended, Glen Davis is likely out for the rest of the season, Jameer Nelson is injured, and much of their remaining roster is younger than a veteran college squad.

The intention, of course, is to lose as much as possible so they can have the best possible shot at the No. 1 pick in this year's draft and then take advantage of cap space to lure some free agents. Time will tell how that plan goes, but if they do land the top pick, ESPN NBA Insider Chad Ford thinks they should target Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart:

Chad Ford
Orlando Magic draft needs

"Smart isn't putting up huge numbers, but he has come up huge for Oklahoma State in some of its biggest games and appears to have the X factor that NBA GMs look for in a No. 1 pick. Smart has great size for the position, has a NBA body, has a power game going to the basket, and is a clutch leader who is fearless with the game on the line. He also is a versatile defender who can guard multiple positions. Jameer Nelson has the starting job locked down right now, but Smart would be a long-term upgrade. ... The Magic need a star to start building around. To me, Smart is oozing with star potential. He's still pretty raw. His jump shot is shaky and he can be turnover-prone, but he's a charismatic leader who works hard on both ends of the floor and usually rises to the occasion in big games. Putting him on the floor with the Magic's collection of young players would immediately make everyone better."

....................................................................................................................................................

Orlando Magic draft needs

The Dwight Howard saga came to a sad, messy conclusion last summer when the Orlando Magic shipped Howard off to the Los Angeles Lakers for a collection of young players headlined by Nikola Vucevic and Moe Harkless, as well as veteran Arron Afflalo.

The move signaled that a massive rebuilding effort was under way in Orlando. With no young stars to build around, the Magic's collection of middling veterans and middling young players was the perfect recipe for blah.

The team ranks 26th in offensive efficiency this season and is tied for 25th in defensive efficiency. The Magic are in the middle of the pack in Assist Ratio, Effective Field Goal Percentage and Rebounding Rate.

But there is some good news. The team ranks No. 1 in the NBA in Defensive Efficiency Rate thanks in large part to the excellent work on the boards by Vucevic. He's averaging 11.5 defensive rebounds a game and while he's just a middling defender, his work on the boards is crucial. The Magic are also getting strong play from rookie Andrew Nicholson and see long-term potential in Harkless.

At the Thursday trade deadline, the Magic continued the franchise teardown shipping off veteran sharpshooter J.J. Redick for two young players -- Tobias Harris and Doron Lamb. Harris gives the Magic another combo forward who many scouts around the league believe can blossom. Lamb is a rookie sharpshooter who has struggled a bit his rookie season.

Overall, the Magic have a number of nice young pieces. But what they really need is a star. I'm not sure that that star is in this draft, but there are some intriguing options.

Here's a look at their best options if the get the No. 1 pick.

Good fits: Marcus Smart, Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Victor Oladipo

Smart isn't putting up huge numbers, but he has come up huge for Oklahoma State in some of its biggest games and appears to have the X factor that NBA GMs look for in a No. 1 pick. Smart has great size for the position, has a NBA body, has a power game going to the basket, and is a clutch leader who is fearless with the game on the line. He also is a versatile defender who can guard multiple positions. Jameer Nelson has the starting job locked down right now, but Smart would be a long-term upgrade.

Noel would be an excellent fit next to Vucevic. His shot-blocking ability and athleticism would be a strong combination next to Vucevic's more plodding game. Besides, the Magic have a history of developing poised young big men. First Shaq, then Dwight Howard, then Noel? Our only fear is that when he reached his prime, he'd push his way onto the Lakers.
[+] Enlarge
Victor OladipoAndy Lyons/Getty ImagesVictor Oladipo's elite skills would fit well with a burgeoning Magic defense.

McLemore would give them a pure scorer in the backcourt. While Afflalo has the position locked down, McLemore is an upgrade who would give them shooting and athleticism in the backcourt.

Oladipo isn't quite the offensive player McLemore is, but he's the best defensive player in the country, an elite athlete and an emerging scorer on the offensive end. He's this year's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. No one plays harder in college basketball.

Questionable fits: Anthony Bennett, Shabazz Muhammad, Alex Len

The team is already filled with combo forwards like Harkless, Harris and Nicholson, making Bennett pretty redundant. While I could argue that Bennett has more upside than any of them, with so many holes, I'm not sure they'd go Bennett's direction.

Muhammad falls into a similar situation. With Harkless and Harris on the roster, Muhammad would be forced to play some 2, and I'm just not sure he can guard backcourt players in the NBA.

Len has a lot of upside and is a more polished big man than Noel, but his skill set seems to be more redundant next to Vucevic in the frontcourt.

Best fit: Smart

The Magic need a star to start building around. To me, Smart is oozing with star potential. He's still pretty raw. His jump shot is shaky and he can be turnover-prone, but he's a charismatic leader who works hard on both ends of the floor and usually rises to the occasion in big games. Putting him on the floor with the Magic's collection of young players would immediately make everyone better.
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#1267 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 pm

RookieStar wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:

j/k...kind of.

Henny had stints in SA too right? Anyone here can research on their history together?

I read Henny drove Beno around town on a tour when he came to the Spurs. Or something like that, maybe he drove him around looking for a house.
LetItRain
Starter
And1: 224

Post#1268 » by LetItRain » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:51 pm

If we get a top 3 pick in this year's draft, I'd rather trade it to one of the perennial bottom dweller teams for their 2014 unprotected 1st rounder. That way we could potentially have two lottery picks in next year's loaded draft.

Don't know if any teams would be dumb enough to do it, but that would be awesome.
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#1269 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:53 pm

We are eventually going to have to acquire a PG. Is Smart good enough? Could he do to us what Lillard is doing for Portland?
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1270 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:58 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:We are eventually going to have to acquire a PG. Is Smart good enough? Could he do to us what Lillard is doing for Portland?

Lillard offense >>>>>>>>

Smart defense >>>>>>>>

As crazy as it sounds....If we have top pick we will be in a tough situation unless one of these players completely separates himself from the pack.

With the way the roster is constructed as of now though, I would say Smart is the favorite unless we decide to trade down for other assets.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#1271 » by RickB-Orlando » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:45 pm

Noel would be an excellent fit next to Vucevic. His shot-blocking ability and athleticism would be a strong combination next to Vucevic's more plodding game...Our only fear is that when he reached his prime, he'd push his way onto the Lakers.

So, Orlando stops drafting big men because of the Lakers? I hate articles like this.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#1272 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Noonskadoodle wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:We are eventually going to have to acquire a PG. Is Smart good enough? Could he do to us what Lillard is doing for Portland?

Lillard offense >>>>>>>>

Smart defense >>>>>>>>

As crazy as it sounds....If we have top pick we will be in a tough situation unless one of these players completely separates himself from the pack.

With the way the roster is constructed as of now though, I would say Smart is the favorite unless we decide to trade down for other assets.

Even Anthony Davis wasn't a clear-cut #1 pick until tournament play started, remember. Kyrie, even, wasn't a clear cut #1 at this point in the season. It may well be that someone (or multiples) separate from the pack when it counts starting next month. The draft combine is another area where player metrics can be a huge difference maker. If, by some weird fluke, Anthony Bennett measured out at 6'10, for example, he'd distinguish himself. Same may be true of others (I see guys like Burke and McCollum and Oladipo really benefitting from the combine).
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1273 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 pm

Smart could be a Deron Williams type PG if he can develop a solid jump shot, but he is too reckless, he has to pick his spots or he'll always be on IR. he certainly has "IT" though
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Carlos Arroyo
Pro Prospect
And1: 126

Post#1274 » by Carlos Arroyo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:01 am

have you guys seen isaiah austin play?
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1275 » by Noonskadoodle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:06 am

Carlos Arroyo wrote:have you guys seen isaiah austin play?

Yea he has been up & down all season long. A little too inconsistent on the glass, although he does average 9 a game. He has a ton of offensive moves though for a 7'1" freshman.

He has to put on muscle big time though or he will get bullied in the NBA. Pretty much a lock for a lottery pick though.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1276 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 am

Here's the base of the team i want after 2014 draft, trying to be realistic

Smart, Wiggins, Vucevic, Nicholson, Harkless, Harris, O'Quinn, Afflalo, Sulaimon

with 40 million in capspace, so we could overpay if we had to, to sign a RFA like Paul George/Derrick Favors or something
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
94_MagicFan
Senior
And1: 59

Post#1277 » by 94_MagicFan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 am

2014 rfa I'm interested in

Wall, george, Monroe
Follow!!! @13edm

#WeWill
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#1278 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 am

Have we waived Warrick yet? Haven't seen anything on it.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
arkknight1988
Assistant Coach
And1: 172

Post#1279 » by arkknight1988 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 am

MagicFan32 wrote:Here's the base of the team i want after 2014 draft, trying to be realistic

Smart, Wiggins, Vucevic, Nicholson, Harkless, Harris, O'Quinn, Afflalo, Sulaimon

with 40 million in capspace, so we could overpay if we had to, to sign a RFA like Paul George/Derrick Favors or something

Would be insane
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 324

Post#1280 » by trebone » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:00 am

arkknight1988 wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:Here's the base of the team i want after 2014 draft, trying to be realistic

Would be insane

:nod:

Return to Orlando Magic