ImageImage

Poll: Who would you rather have-JJ Redick or Klay Thompson?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Who would you rather have on the Bucks roster now?

J.J. Redick
38%
Klay Thompson
62%

Total votes: 107

Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,953

Re: Poll: Who would you rather have-JJ Redick or Klay Thomps 

Post#41 » by Siefer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:54 pm

I like JJ a lot more than Klay, but I understand and agree with the point being made. Hammond has continuously hemorrhaged value throughout his tenure.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#42 » by Badgerlander » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Never liked Klay, I wanted Biyombo until we traded down and then I wanted Faried. At this point Redick I suppose although not at 4/40.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
TheDIsSilent
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#43 » by TheDIsSilent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 pm

This is a question with an obvious answer. Klay Thompson. However, it isn't a fair question anyways, waaaaayyyyy too much hindsight. It's a question, that is asked with the sole purpose of bashing Hammond.

I blame 50% of this mess on Scott Skiles for benching Jax and 50% on Hammond for acquiring Jax. Nobody knew Skiles would bench a guy you just dropped 12 draft spots for without a blink. Hammond should have fired Skiles immediately after benching Jackson for any multiple of games, the year after benching Maggette. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. Thank god, Hammond finally fired Skiles after benching Dalemert and trying to fool Hammond a 3rd time. A lot of this stuff is Skiles making Hammond look bad and visa versa. Do we win 1 or 2 more games if Jax wasn't bench last season? That's the number of games we missed the playoffs by. Same as I feel like we'd have 3-4 more wins this season if Skiles didn't bench Dalembert.

I don't say this to credit Hammond with complements, I say it because Hammond's biggest mistake outside of Joe Alexander (which still is largely credited to bad luck since we dropped from 7 to 8 and wanted Gordon), was keeping Skiles around too long. Every substantial move Hammond made, Skiles backfired in his face.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,432

Post#44 » by blazza18 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Right now JJ. For the future Klay.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
MagicGirl
Junior
And1: 8

Post#45 » by MagicGirl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:08 pm

Magic fan here. You guys are going to love JJ. The guy is a tireless worker, runs off screens, distributes the ball, takes charges, gets up and down the court, is a savvy passer, and oh yeah - great 3 point and clutch free-throw shooter. He has improved his game in every aspect each year he's been in the league. His basketball IQ and leadership skills are off the charts.

Many fans in Orlando (myself included) are opting not to renew our season tickets for next year because we are so upset he was traded. Don't know what'll happen once the season ends, but enjoy the guy while you can.

By the way, he's been doing a Rick Flair 'Wooooo' whenever he hits a 3....it'd be nice if y'all continue that tradition up in Milwaukee.

Good luck the rest of the way.
Bad Midget
Junior
And1: 12

Post#46 » by Bad Midget » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Redick by a mile. Klay is trash.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,220

Post#47 » by Chapter29 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:16 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Put aside all the issues we vetted out yesterday (Monta, Josh Smith, playoff run, Redick being the best player in the deal, etc.)

Unless you guys surprise me in this poll and vote for Redick, the Klay Thompson discussion highlights well how the Bucks have consistently mismanaged assets and maybe the real reason why people are so upset.

If we agree to stipulate that in the 2011 draft the Bucks would have selected Klay Thompson with either the 7th overall or 10th overall draft pick, which has been reported on here, you can track how this asset was wasted over the last two years.

We start out on draft day 2011 where we split the value of that lotto pick in half. We allocate half of the value to acquiring Stephen Jackson and half to acquiring Tobias Harris. In 2011-12, Stephen Jackson was such a mess that we had to use a positive asset in Bogut to take him off the team. And we’ve gotten nothing out of Tobias in two years.

Additionally, because we are so focused on “win-now” 8th seed, we don’t give Tobias serious minutes either. I don’t think they guy will amount to a great player, nor am I crushed we traded him. But we really didn’t give him the minutes needed to see if he could flourish.

So now we arrive at yesterday where the Bucks send off the Tobias asset and what we basically have to show for that 2011 lotto pick is 29 games with JJ Redick. A nice player but also a guy who we will pay at least $30 million to in the offseason we want him to stick around.

We could have just drafted Klay Thompson and had the benefit of a good young sharpshooter on a rookie deal for all of the last two years. Instead the Bucks took that 2011 draft pick and completely mis-managed and depreciated it. We seem to have a knack for doing that with all our assets. Do people disagree?

I cannot disagree with you I guess.

I will say that that these 2 players are really pretty close and I think JJ is more efficient. The salary and being under contract is what sways this the most. I like Klay's size and I would guess he's a better defender. Eh. It's not like Klay is some star. So really if the worst we've done is lost out on Klay for JJ we haven't really floundered all that badly. Though all in all we have.

We swung and singled and got Bogut with a 1st overall. That is far more impactful. Trading Bogut for Ellis and really striking out a bit with Udoh. Much more impactful. We've had so many chances with players we've drafted in the top 10 and so many misses. People act like effectively we haven't tanked for the better part of the last decade and haven't had our shots in the lotto. How long do stay down? Till you lose all your fans? That parts a balancing act.

This team is reasonably talented. I think it could be fun if the Bucks can make a little run and JJ fits in and does well. The FTD Year isn't all that hard to recreate essentially. Just have to start winning more than you're losing and play well and get into the playoffs on a bit of a roll. Fans will come. Many of the folks that are irate around here will suddenly enjoy themselves some Bucks. We are not that far off of that. We shall see but I can tell you we are a better team today than we were yesterday.
Giannis
is
UponUs
Sarunas_4_MVP
Ballboy

Post#48 » by Sarunas_4_MVP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:02 am

It's a hard comparison because of the age difference.

I chose Klay but I also think some fans have made his ceiling much higher than it really is. I think he'll be a similar player to Redick and at the very best, a better all around player because he's working on going to basket (Something Redick doesn't do).

Win now:Redick

Win later:Thompson
Sarunas_4_MVP
Ballboy

Post#49 » by Sarunas_4_MVP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:02 am

It's a hard comparison because of the age difference.

I chose Klay but I also think some fans have made his ceiling much higher than it really is. I think he'll be a similar player to Redick and at the very best, a better all around player because he's working on going to basket (Something Redick doesn't do).

A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#50 » by A Diddy2231 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:13 am

Sarunas_4_MVP wrote:It's a hard comparison because of the age difference.

You can that again! Klay reminds me of Kevin Martin
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#51 » by AussieBuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:35 am

I'd take Redick for the short term, Thompson as the far superior trade asset.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
bogutisabust
Ballboy

Post#52 » by bogutisabust » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:48 am

Redick easily not even close this guy is going to surprise alot of people with how hard he works just a great hustle player and high iq monta may lose his starting job :lol:
bucksfan4life
Jeremy Lin Sim
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#53 » by Jeremy Lin Sim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 am

Klay Thompson hands down, he will be a all star one day.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#54 » by smooth 'lil balla » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I would personally rather have Klay Thompson. I'd venture to guess Hammond would rather have Klay. I also do know with certainty that is who they would have taken.

The interesting thing in my mind is that 90% of the people here wanted Alec Burks to be drafted. There really were only one of two guys who wanted Klay and everyone else was killing them for it. I love how that's been lost in here.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#55 » by AussieBuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:I would personally rather have Klay Thompson. I'd venture to guess Hammond would rather have Klay. I also do know with certainty that is who they would have taken.

The interesting thing in my mind is that 90% of the people here wanted Alec Burks to be drafted. There really were only one of two guys who wanted Klay and everyone else was killing them for it. I love how that's been lost in here.

Hammonds would rather Stephen Jackson.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#56 » by blkout » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm

What I would give for Jennings to be as inefficient as Thompson
giraldo5
Sixth Man
And1: 109

Post#57 » by giraldo5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:I would personally rather have Klay Thompson. I'd venture to guess Hammond would rather have Klay. I also do know with certainty that is who they would have taken.

Great post. People were laughed at repeatedly by one well-respected poster in particular when they even mentioned Klay over Burks.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Post#58 » by emunney » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:53 pm

I personally would still prefer Burks, but I rarely repeatedly laugh at people's opinions (although I will reserve the right to needle DB about Jimmer -- he can take it), so I don't think it was me you're referring to.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Post#59 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm

The other point I'm trying to make with this thread is that we wasted almost two years before presumably now getting a productive player in Redick with that 2011 pick asset.

So again, even if you greatly prefer Redick as a player, it isn't like we've had the use of him up until tonight.

If you wanted Redick or a guy his equivalent, Hammond should have just spent that 2011 number one on a good veteran rather than trying to always accomplish multiple things like he did with the Charlotte part of that trade. Just send the 10th overall pick out for a high quality vet (Afflalo, Wes Matthews, Kyle Lowry, etc, or whoever you prefer from that June 2011 period) rather than try to dump Maggette's contract and at the same time recoup a much later pick in the first round.

We just can never focus on overpaying for one high quality player. We always have to go cheap or try to accomplish salary dumps with our trades. And it kills the value we get back.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#60 » by Badgerlander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:06 pm

Or pick a player that isn't a project every damn year, once every 3 years would be fine. I'm just tired of collecting overachieving role players. Get one young player that has a legitimate chance at being a superstar to at least give the fans hope that we may someday be able to rise above the 8th seed.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks