ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XXII (2/6/13 - 4/1/13)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Re: Official Trade Thread XXII (2/6/13 - present) 

Post#841 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:38 pm

nate33 wrote:
ocellatus921 wrote:Would you guys be interested in Stuckey(8.5mil expiring) & Jerebko(4.5mil 2 years left) for Okafor & Ariza. This trade would save you 9.3 mil this offseason.

No.

The problem is that that $9.3M in cap savings doesn't help much. As it stand now, the Wizards project to have a payroll of $61M at the start of free agency this summer. Effectively, they have the $5M MLE to play with and that's it. (It'll probably be used to resign Martell Webster).

If the Wizards make this trade, they will have a payroll of $52M at the start of free agency, leaving $6M in cap room. I'd rather have $5M in cap room plus Okafor and Ariza instead of $6M in cap room plus Jerebko.

How about this as an offseason plan....Go all in for K Love. All picks & players except for Wall/Beal on the table. If you swing & miss try to get Millisap through a S&T. Re-sign Martell using a portion of the MLE, and use the pick on Zeller or Porter....Get the best available combo guard in the 2nd round
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#842 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 pm

TBH I'd probably part with Wall to get KL.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#843 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:49 pm

It would have saved us from making the worst trade ever!

Really would the C's have said no if we had asked for their 2014 second round pick, E.G. is a dumb a** who does not know how to evaluate talent. We need a brand new front office, some one who believes in young talent.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#844 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:TBH I'd probably part with Wall to get KL.

but they wouldn't want him....they have multiple pgs on thier roster including Rubio. You have to give KL a situation where he thinks there will be success, otherwise he'll opt out when he can.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#845 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:14 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Good point. Do we have the ability to take on a max type of contract in a trade and use the pick this year Nate?

I don't understand the question.

The trade deadline has passed so there will be no more trades until the offseason. We have the ability to take on any type of contract provided that we send out a roughly equal amount of salary. We have no ability whatsoever to absorb salary beyond what the Trade Exemption allows.

If we were to trade for a max salary player, the obvious contract to send out would be Okafor's.
Liverbird
Senior
And1: 12

Post#846 » by Liverbird » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 pm

jivelikenice wrote:
nate33 wrote:
ocellatus921 wrote:Would you guys be interested in Stuckey(8.5mil expiring) & Jerebko(4.5mil 2 years left) for Okafor & Ariza. This trade would save you 9.3 mil this offseason.

No.

The problem is that that $9.3M in cap savings doesn't help much. As it stand now, the Wizards project to have a payroll of $61M at the start of free agency this summer. Effectively, they have the $5M MLE to play with and that's it. (It'll probably be used to resign Martell Webster).

If the Wizards make this trade, they will have a payroll of $52M at the start of free agency, leaving $6M in cap room. I'd rather have $5M in cap room plus Okafor and Ariza instead of $6M in cap room plus Jerebko.

How about this as an offseason plan....Go all in for K Love. All picks & players except for Wall/Beal on the table. If you swing & miss try to get Millisap through a S&T. Re-sign Martell using a portion of the MLE, and use the pick on Zeller or Porter....Get the best available combo guard in the 2nd round

I think Millsap would be a good fit for this team as well. Effective enough if Nene's out and accustomed to coming off the bench as the first big. I wonder what his price tag would be on the open market? Can we do a sign and trade to include any combination of Veseley/Singleton/Booker or Ariza's expiring?

I would then draft Porter/Oladipo (not as high on Zeller as most are here) with our first and try to trade into the latter 1st with our 2 2nd round picks and pickup a backup PG or Center.

Decide on Price and Webster based on the outcome above with our MLE...
You'll Never Walk Alone
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#847 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm

jivelikenice wrote:How about this as an offseason plan....Go all in for K Love. All picks & players except for Wall/Beal on the table. If you swing & miss try to get Millisap through a S&T. Re-sign Martell using a portion of the MLE, and use the pick on Zeller or Porter....Get the best available combo guard in the 2nd round

Going "all in" for Love may sound nice, but it's somewhat meaningless. We don't have what it takes to acquire Love. We definitely don't have a chance if we don't include Wall or Beal.

In order to set up a S&T for Millsap, we would need Millsap to be interested. That would mean he'd have to prefer joining Washington over joining any other team that offers him a contract. And then, to make it work, Utah would have to be willing to take back contracts equal to at least 80% of whatever salary we choose to pay Millsap in his first year. Utah would need to be motivated to do such a thing so we would have to offer some considerable incentive. I don't see it happening.

The only realistic way to make a play for Millsap would be to free up the cap room to sign him outright. Essentially, that means dumping either Okafor or Nene for pure cap room. Very few teams have the cap room to absorb that kind of salary this summer. If we were going to make a move like this, the time to do it would have been at the Trade Deadline that just passed.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#848 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:04 pm

You might be able to convince Utah IF one of our rookie contract players shows some promise over the last two months of the season. Maybe an Okafor or Ariza/ coupled with Seraphin and a high second? I'd consider a future first as long as it was lottery protected. Convincing Milisap is another thing....its why a positve finish over the last 30 is important, as well as a a clear role as a starter/ stretch 4 for this team.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#849 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:10 pm

nate33 wrote:
jivelikenice wrote:Good point. Do we have the ability to take on a max type of contract in a trade and use the pick this year Nate?

I don't understand the question.

The trade deadline has passed so there will be no more trades until the offseason. We have the ability to take on any type of contract provided that we send out a roughly equal amount of salary. We have no ability whatsoever to absorb salary beyond what the Trade Exemption allows.

If we were to trade for a max salary player, the obvious contract to send out would be Okafor's.

Sorry, question was about future years w/ luxury tax implications if we traded Okafor for a max player and used our pick....
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#850 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Nate, let me clarify with one cohesive question 8-) ...If we were to trade Okafor for a max player, use our lotto pick, and use the MLE or a large portion of it on Webster, how are we looking with the luxury tax?
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#851 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:53 pm

^ I don't think there's any real danger of the luxury tax next season no matter what the scenario. It's what comes after 2014 that we (and the rest of the league) would be worried about.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#852 » by stevemcqueen1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:29 am

If I were Golden State, I would try and trade for Vesely in the offseason. He'd be a good fit there around all of those shooters and they could probably get him from us without giving up much at all.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#853 » by jivelikenice » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:47 am

What's the deal with Gallinari? Are they happy with him? It seems like they have so many guys that need touches in Denver that sometimes he's forgotten. He could be that stretch 4....
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#854 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 pm

jivelikenice wrote:What's the deal with Gallinari? Are they happy with him? It seems like they have so many guys that need touches in Denver that sometimes he's forgotten. He could be that stretch 4....

Took a second look at his deal and it's not as bad as I thought it was. But I don't think he's a 4 in any way.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#855 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:42 pm

Gallinari is really important to Denver, because they NEED a guy to stretch defenses, and he's about as good as it gets in doing that. But like Rico said, he's strictly a 3.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#856 » by stevemcqueen1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:16 pm

For next season:

GS trades to DC:
- David Lee - $13,878,000

DC trades to GS:
- Nene - $13,000,000
- Jan Vesely - $3,524,880
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#857 » by nuposse04 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Lee is legitimate all star PF, and honestly is borderline top 5 at his position IMO, plus he really doesn't have an injury history, nor is his game predicated on elite athleticism...I seriously doubt GSW would entertain that.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#858 » by gambitx777 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:11 am

I think we should start thinking about whether we should or should not trade wall, and to whom and what we should get for him. Obviously we would never want E.G. around this deal, nor do i think he would trade him. But, a new GM might just want to start fresh and totally over hall the team the right way.

maybe to orlando in the off season, They could have enough cap room to take him in an uneven trade over the offseason.

Maybe trade him for a top 3 protected pick and Vucevic and or another one of their young guys or so?

Maybe to the kings? for Thompson and a first?

maybe to the pistons with Jan, Booker, Kevin and a second for, Knight, Singler, Jerebko, Kravtsov and their first ?

Maybe to the jazz? for Kanter and one or both of their firsts this year?

Maybe to the suns? for Gortat, Marshal and we swap our pick and one of our seconds for both of their firsts.

IDK just some ideas? Do you guys think we should even think about trading him?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#859 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 am

Yes. I think we should strongly consider trading Wall if we get top 5 pick type talent in return. But if we did so, we would first need a plan to find an acceptable replacement at PG. This season proved that this offense is horrific without a competent point guard running the show.

Trading Wall made a lot of sense in conjunction with my Nene for Bledsoe + Odom idea. Unfortunately, with the Trade Deadline having passed, there is no opportunity to acquire Bledsoe. I'm not sure what other PG's are available that a good enough and young enough to be credible a building block, or at least a stop gap.
jivelikenice
Analyst

Post#860 » by jivelikenice » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:11 am

Totally disagree with trading Wall. We have a young backcourt that compliments each other and won't get in each others way. This team is finally showing signs of real progress and growth. Why reset again. Why risk backcourt chemistry? This offseason's plan is simple enough.
1. draft Porter
2. Re-sign Mar tell
3. Sign a combo guard capable of playing the 1/2
4. Trade Okafor or Ariza if you're offered a quality 4 from a team that's looking to create cap space

Time for continuity. The lack of continuity has surely slowed Wall down....lets not put Beal in a similar situation

Return to Washington Wizards