ImageImageImageImageImage

around the nba part 5

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Re: around the nba part 5 

Post#321 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Thats childs thinking.

Even when the team traded players in the past, no one looked at those other teams to compare it to the Knicks.

No one followed Sprewell to the Wolves cursing the Knicks, or Oakley becoming Raptors fans, and his team actually beat us in the playoffs.

I'd suspect when Ewing became a sonics fans became Sonics fans.

Fans done got pussified.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,977

Post#322 » by Capn'O » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 pm

It's more about the approach to building a team. I strongly advocated for holding onto our young core, cap flexibility, + Stat and tinkering with that as they grew together. That team was still young... a bit immature... but I liked the way that they played together.

You get Melo and I had all these dudes jumping down my throat and telling me how obviously better the team was and how much brighter the immediate future was. I just don't see it. I mean, it's better than it was at the moment we traded. But had we continued building with that core, it would have gotten better then too. You let the assets mature and then make moves for the right pieces (like the Iggy deal was for them). You make a solid free agent signing there... the team is open for business.

I want to see RESULTS from this team. They should be better than a second round exit. If the Nuggets are better it does add insult to that injury because they did it with the model that I understand to be the winning one.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#323 » by Thugger HBC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Capn'O wrote:It's more about the approach to building a team. I strongly advocated for holding onto our young core, cap flexibility, + Stat and tinkering with that as they grew together. That team was still young... a bit immature... but I liked the way that they played together.

You get Melo and I had all these dudes jumping down my throat and telling me how obviously better the team was and how much brighter the immediate future was. I just don't see it. I mean, it's better than it was at the moment we traded. But had we continued building with that core, it would have gotten better then too. You let the assets mature and then make moves for the right pieces (like the Iggy deal was for them). You make a solid free agent signing there... the team is open for business.

I want to see RESULTS from this team. They should be better than a second round exit. If the Nuggets are better it does add insult to that injury because they did it with the model that I understand to be the winning one.

Totally understand, but this team has never developed or stored young talent except when they were bad.

I'm suprised the kept Shumpert to be honest, buit i do agree with you, the Knicks shoiuld definitely be much better than a first round knockout.

You could have left it alone if that happens again....they have enough to compete for something bigger.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#324 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 pm

rockmanslim wrote:DeJuan Blair's agent is named Happy Walters

And Griesswald didn't get rid of White for him. Spurs would've taken anything. Semi-ginger looking fool.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#325 » by Capn'O » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:It's more about the approach to building a team. I strongly advocated for holding onto our young core, cap flexibility, + Stat and tinkering with that as they grew together. That team was still young... a bit immature... but I liked the way that they played together.

Totally understand, but this team has never developed or stored young talent except when they were bad.

I'm suprised the kept Shumpert to be honest, buit i do agree with you, the Knicks shoiuld definitely be much better than a first round knockout.

You could have left it alone if that happens again....they have enough to compete for something bigger.

No, they really haven't kept anyone. Our brief restocking of the pool under Walsh kind of lulled me into thinking they might build that way... but obviously no.

That's what was so big about the Melo deal. It was really the first time that the Knicks at least appeared to build from zero since Ewing. And then they went the other way for the name. I mean, all you can really say about the Marc Gasol scenarios I propose are "we never had a shot at him" - and perhaps that is true. But that would have been a bitchin' team.

I like Melo. As an upstate NY'er who watched him bring home the NCAA title nearly single handed you'll never see me say too much bad about him. As you know, I didn't think this was the right deal for him and am of the opinion that Walsh didn't think this version of the deal was the right one either (though would have given up Gallo, for sure). I'm glad they kept Shump. I really didn't see any of the rumors as putting us over the top though Reddick would have made us marginally better.

I still have a lot of faith that he will ultimately be much more of an impact player than Reddick though.

Back onto off topic for me :)
BAF Clippers

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,352

Post#326 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 am

Thugger HBC wrote:Thats childs thinking.

Even when the team traded players in the past, no one looked at those other teams to compare it to the Knicks.

No one followed Sprewell to the Wolves cursing the Knicks, or Oakley becoming Raptors fans, and his team actually beat us in the playoffs.

I'd suspect when Ewing became a sonics fans became Sonics fans.

Fans done got pussified.

Alright men.. well then you settled it.. I'm a child and a pussy... that's what's up. :lol:

:lol: When these little threads come up once in a while about your worst moments in Knicks history.. it don't change for me.. and I don't forget... trading Strickland and choosing Houston and his bum ass knee over Sprewell and trading Pat and not just pacifying him so he retired a Knick will ALWAYS be forever etched in my mind as mistakes... you got that Fam? :lol: You trip me out man... good times... :lol:
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#327 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:13 am

Capn'O wrote:
No, they really haven't kept anyone. Our brief restocking of the pool under Walsh kind of lulled me into thinking they might build that way... but obviously no.

That's what was so big about the Melo deal. It was really the first time that the Knicks at least appeared to build from zero since Ewing. And then they went the other way for the name. I mean, all you can really say about the Marc Gasol scenarios I propose are "we never had a shot at him" - and perhaps that is true. But that would have been a bitchin' team.

I like Melo. As an upstate NY'er who watched him bring home the NCAA title nearly single handed you'll never see me say too much bad about him. As you know, I didn't think this was the right deal for him and am of the opinion that Walsh didn't think this version of the deal was the right one either (though would have given up Gallo, for sure). I'm glad they kept Shump. I really didn't see any of the rumors as putting us over the top though Reddick would have made us marginally better.

I still have a lot of faith that he will ultimately be much more of an impact player than Reddick though.

Back onto off topic for me :)

Man bottom line it man.. does this guy (Melo) got what it takes to lead a team to a chip and is this team good enough to beat Miami (<around the NBA on topic)?
Drun53
Sixth Man
And1: 337

Post#328 » by Drun53 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:16 am

Thugger HBC wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Comparing records is a bit meh as both teams required some tinkering post trade.

Acquiring Melo SHOULD pay us more dividends in the near term. If the Nuggets get farther than the Knicks in the playoffs this season I'm going to be royally pissed as they're the team with more flexibility moving forward. Making a trade of that magnitude when the team is already on an upward trajectory should result in a contender.

We canned MDA, We got some ball handlers. We got that interior presence and shooters. Melo got the role as top dog. If you believe the papers, the team even made moves at his behest.

The Knicks went "win now." We should be better NOW.

No excuses.

Honestly, I'd like to see Denver make the WCF again without Melo, that's what they did the last full year they had him.

That's actually not true. They made it to the WCF in the 08-09 season. Melo's last full season as a Nugget was in the 09-10 season, where they lost in the first round to Deron Williams and the Jazz.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Drun53
Sixth Man
And1: 337

Post#329 » by Drun53 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:23 am

It really has nothing to do with the Knicks, that's the thing I've yet to understand.

What Denver does is totally irrelevant to the Knicks....unless they met in the finals.

This.

The purpose of the trade was to make the Knicks better. And that it did.

However, people can't seem to fathom that it also may have made Denver just as good on the court, but with more upside for the future. It is possible for a trade to be good for both teams. And this trade was just that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#330 » by Capn'O » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 am

ibraheim718 wrote:Man bottom line it man.. does this guy (Melo) got what it takes to lead a team to a chip and is this team good enough to beat Miami (<around the NBA on topic)?

I dunno. But (again to go "off topic") to me the number one difference between now and the beginning of the season is Kidd doesn't have enough in the tank to be all leadershippy and take over in critical moments. He needs to play the stabilizer, not be leaned on throughout the game. The way Kidd is being used is an abomination.
BAF Clippers

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#331 » by ibraheim718 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:31 am

Capn'O wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:Man bottom line it man.. does this guy (Melo) got what it takes to lead a team to a chip and is this team good enough to beat Miami (<around the NBA on topic)?

I dunno. But (again to go "off topic") to me the number one difference between now and the beginning of the season is Kidd doesn't have enough in the tank to be all leadershippy and take over in critical moments. He needs to play the stabilizer, not be leaned on throughout the game. The way Kidd is being used is an abomination.

You know Capn... you know? :lol:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks

Post#332 » by Capn'O » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:46 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

You know Capn... you know? :lol:

I suppose I do then, don't I... doggone it. I enjoyed that early season run so very much.
BAF Clippers

kakaman
Banned User
And1: 665

Post#333 » by kakaman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:21 am

J Lin toyin with the Nets tonight
daschysta
Assistant Coach
And1: 347

Post#334 » by daschysta » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 am

Pacers routing the Pistons by 30+ again. If the Knicks lose tonight Indiana is officially the 2nd place team in the Eastern Conference. They play the Pistons tomorrow night too, so they would look to pad the lead should the Knicks lose to Toronto.
ijag23
Lead Assistant
And1: 7

Post#335 » by ijag23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 am

Knicks will be much lower than 3rd in a few weeks.
Quick Kick
Banned User
And1: 123

Post#336 » by Quick Kick » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 am

kakaman wrote:J Lin toyin with the Nets tonight

Hes got 6 points. FOH
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,526

Post#337 » by Lord Commander » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 am

ijag23 wrote:Knicks will be much lower than 3rd in a few weeks.
frogfood
Suspended
And1: 1,609

Post#338 » by frogfood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 am

Rockets are gassed
socks fit OK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#339 » by socks fit OK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 am

Go...Houston..
yunaclf
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#340 » by yunaclf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:40 am

Is it just me or do the Nets get a lot of calls in their favor at home?

Return to New York Knicks