Veteran
And1: 828

Re: NCAA Basketball Thread / 2013 Draft Targets 

Post#281 » by PZiv » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:49 am

My choice:
9th pick: Victor Oladipo
25th pick: Jeff Withey/Gorgui Dieng
50th pick: Isaiah Canaan
59th pick: Have no opinion, what somebody skips and suits Minny.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#282 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:33 am

NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#283 » by NikolaPekovic » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 am

Magic said that Oladipo will be a top 5 pick... I hope not D:

He could just take malcolm lee's spot on the roster
JDthrillinger
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#284 » by JDthrillinger » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:00 am

I've decided there are 8 players(and only 8) that we should consider drafting with our pick in the first round.

With Ridnour, D Will, and Memph 1st as trade assets I feel like we should be able to land 1 of these guys by trading up if they're off the board when we pick.

I've ranked the prospects we should target based on their value to us:

1. SG Shabazz Muhammed- Way higher on this guy than anybody else. I think he's going to be a devastating scorer and perennial All-Star. I see his game taking off in the Pros and people will forget all about his college issues.

2. SG Ben Mclemore- A lot of mock drafts have him going #1. I don't see it but still think he'd fit nice here.

3. C Nerlens Noel- Have to take this guy if he falls to us because of the injury. Perfect compliment to Pek/Love

4. PG/SG Marcus Smart- Probably going in the top 5 but he's definitely a guy we would draft to play SG

5. SG Victor Oladipo- I am almost ready to put him above Mclemore. This may be our guy if we keep our pick

6. C Cody Zeller- Not the perfect fit but way too talented to pass up if he fell and other guys were off the board

7. SF Otto Porter- A high IQ defensive minded SF who would be groomed by AK. Have greater positional needs though

8. C Alex Len- Could be a nice backup C for us to begin with and immediate upgrade over Stiemsma

Projected 2013-2014 Depth Chart:
Rubio/Barea
_____/Shved/M Lee
AK47/Budinger/Gelabele
Love/Cunningham
Pekovic/______/Johnson
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#285 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:14 pm

JDthrillinger wrote:I've decided there are 8 players(and only 8) that we should consider drafting with our pick in the first round.

With Ridnour, D Will, and Memph 1st as trade assets I feel like we should be able to land 1 of these guys by trading up if they're off the board when we pick.

I've ranked the prospects we should target based on their value to us:

1. SG Shabazz Muhammed- Way higher on this guy than anybody else. I think he's going to be a devastating scorer and perennial All-Star. I see his game taking off in the Pros and people will forget all about his college issues.

2. SG Ben Mclemore- A lot of mock drafts have him going #1. I don't see it but still think he'd fit nice here.

3. C Nerlens Noel- Have to take this guy if he falls to us because of the injury. Perfect compliment to Pek/Love

4. PG/SG Marcus Smart- Probably going in the top 5 but he's definitely a guy we would draft to play SG

5. SG Victor Oladipo- I am almost ready to put him above Mclemore. This may be our guy if we keep our pick

6. C Cody Zeller- Not the perfect fit but way too talented to pass up if he fell and other guys were off the board

7. SF Otto Porter- A high IQ defensive minded SF who would be groomed by AK. Have greater positional needs though

8. C Alex Len- Could be a nice backup C for us to begin with and immediate upgrade over Stiemsma

Projected 2013-2014 Depth Chart:
Rubio/Barea
_____/Shved/M Lee
AK47/Budinger/Gelabele
Love/Cunningham
Pekovic/______/Johnson

I agree with your whole take, though I'd consider Zeller and Len for trade value more than anything. Definitely agree Shabazz is head and shoulders the best fit for the team and agree with Olapido above McLemore (potentially)
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,577

Post#286 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

The thing that scares me about Shabazz is that he plays too much hero ball, and isn't always a willing passer. That won't fly with Rick.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#287 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:32 pm

yea, but its better than being too passive. Plus that UCLA connection might win some small points for keeping both guys happy in MN
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#288 » by [RCG] » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 pm

I'd throw McCollum in there as well. He's a guy we could potential trade back a couple of spots for if we see a lot of those guys taken already. He shoots lights out and has since he was a freshman. Capable ball-handler too.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#289 » by jfg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:34 pm

I just want every player who's scouting report says "Motor and athleticism makes up for limited skill set" crossed off the Wolves big board right now. 1st one to cross off is Oladipo.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#290 » by Klomp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:57 pm

jfg wrote:I just want every player who's scouting report says "Motor and athleticism makes up for limited skill set" crossed off the Wolves big board right now. 1st one to cross off is Oladipo.

So I take it you want to trade Ricky then? Because other than the passing, that's EXACTLY the type of player Oladipo is.

(No, I'm not saying Oladipo is as good as Rubio, I'm comparing their skillsets)
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#291 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 am

Ricky is extremely skilled though.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,007

Post#292 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 am

I think McLemore is going to drop a little bit. He's really passive in games, I know that I wouldn't take him unless I had a player on my team that is the #1 guy. Unless he improves his handle(or he has one and we don't see it at KU), then he's not going to be a star.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#293 » by Klomp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:13 am

moss_is_1 wrote:I think McLemore is going to drop a little bit. He's really passive in games, I know that I wouldn't take him unless I had a player on my team that is the #1 guy. Unless he improves his handle(or he has one and we don't see it at KU), then he's not going to be a star.

He's a shooter. He's not some iso scorer that a lot of people seem to think. I'd take Oladipo over him.

NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#294 » by NikolaPekovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 am

Klomp wrote:The thing that scares me about Shabazz is that he plays too much hero ball, and isn't always a willing passer. That won't fly with Rick.

We kind of need someone like that. Someone who we can give the ball to in bad situations and let them create.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#295 » by NikolaPekovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:39 am

Klomp wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:I think McLemore is going to drop a little bit. He's really passive in games, I know that I wouldn't take him unless I had a player on my team that is the #1 guy. Unless he improves his handle(or he has one and we don't see it at KU), then he's not going to be a star.

He's a shooter. He's not some iso scorer that a lot of people seem to think. I'd take Oladipo over him.

Mcelmore is alot more skilled tho. And he is almost as athletic as oladipo.

Mcelmore definitely fits our team composition alot more than Oladipo.

I would be very happy with Mcelmore, Shabazz, Noel, Austin, or Oladipo.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#296 » by Devilzsidewalk » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:46 am

McLemore is okay, but Oladipo's motor and athleticism makes up for his limited skill set, so I think we can all agree that's the way to go
jfg
Junior
And1: 45

Post#297 » by jfg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:57 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:McLemore is okay, but Oladipo's motor and athleticism makes up for his limited skill set, so I think we can all agree that's the way to go

:lol:

The comparison to Rubio was a little crazy because Ricky's skills are what got him noticed and what makes him a star. The motor is complimentary to the skills. I'm trying to think of one player who had that scouting report out of college and became a star in the NBA. I can't, probably because the Wolves keep drafting them. NBA stars are skilled, role players are athletes with heart. I guess you could say superstars are both.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie

Post#298 » by NikolaPekovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:59 am

Devilzsidewalk wrote:McLemore is okay, but Oladipo's motor and athleticism makes up for his limited skill set, so I think we can all agree that's the way to go

Motor cant make 3 points for us :/
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#299 » by AQuintus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 am

Klomp wrote:He's a shooter. He's not some iso scorer that a lot of people seem to think. I'd take Oladipo over him.

:-?

Why? A shooter is the team's biggest need, by far.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,039

Post#300 » by shangrila » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:16 am

The other thing about Oladipo...he can't drive left, at all. Which is a pretty significant weakness IMO.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves