ImageImageImageImage

How are you taking this season?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Re: How are you taking this season? 

Post#21 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 pm

JV gonna prove y'all incorrect!
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Post#22 » by Skin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 pm

trebone wrote:Very Badly, I can deal with some of the losing but when you are losing and the young guys are not playing consistent minutes either it really frustrates. If we are going to lose anyway throw them in the deep end and see if they can swim, JV is mainly the most frustrating thing for me, he seems like he is already a lame duck coach...

There is wisdom in not forcing the young guys into situations that will hurt them. It's not a mere science that more playing time equals getting better. A lot of guys are forced into situations they aren't ready for and it kills their careers. So to gripe about JV monitoring their minutes is falsely based.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#23 » by Rick Rolled » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Well, for the first time in years, it seems like our front office has a plan.

I'm enjoying watching the young guys grow, and I expect them to get all the playing time they can handle to finish up the season.

Losing sucks, but it's a necessary evil right now.

I'm very optimistic about our future, and am willing to suffer through the losing for another season, if it nets us some good draft pieces and big time cap room.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#24 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Viper1500 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Vaughn is the patsy here and was brought in just to coach the young guys obviously. He is hard on none of the players who only coddles and praises effort. With little discipline, I find it hard for the team to really go all out in games to win anymore with the Vets out.

I don't see Vaughn being this teams coach in 2 years.

I like Vaughn tho. Nothing personal.

But, I could really see SVG coming back in two years after taking it easy and getting paid not to coach by the Magic.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,631

Post#25 » by Skin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:27 pm

HAHAHAHA.. SVG AIN'T EVER COMIN' BACK.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#26 » by Bensational » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 am

i'm bored. i like that we've got prospects, but i'm not interested in watching them try to figure it out on court. i really just want to walk away and come back in a couple years when this team looks like it's serious to compete. the trades and draft are what keep me interested enough to continue posting on the board, for now.
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 458

Post#27 » by dsg2003mach1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:49 am

last year definitely started the downward spiral...before you believed the team could go out and beat any team on any night to knowing they werent capable of competing for a championship to not able to compete at all on most nights. It sucks to be in this position AGAIN. As I recall we all praised Otis as a genius until all the wheels came off the train at once and here we go again with Henny as the second coming. We've heard this all before and we won't really know if theres the slightest sliver of truth to it for several years. At this point Im skeptical at best and will probably continue checking the score from the comfort of my couch where I can go ahead and change it back to something else

Weve got season tickets and I dont think we've gone to a game since before thanksgiving, hell we cant even give them away most of the time
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#28 » by MagicMadness » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:42 am

If our team had been healthy all season, we'd probably be figting for the 8th seed right now, which would have been fine...but really I prefer the position we're in now, instead.

I like the direction the team is headed in, and I don't care at all if it means losing badly in the short term. I like that we don't have one of those GMs that make short-sighted moves to try to make a team decently competitive now while destroying the future. I think its safe to say most of us want to see the Magic competing for titles, not 8th-seed fodder. I really like some of these moves Hennigan has made, and I'm excited about our young talent and up-coming lottery pick.
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#29 » by silent1900 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 am

I'm fine so far...enjoying it more than the last couple of Dwight years, actually. It started to drag leading up to the trade deadline, but now we have a couple more young kids to watch closely so my interest will pick back up.

Like most, I care not whether we win or lose this year, just that I see flashes.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#30 » by JF5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:46 am

I'm taking it pretty well

Just looking at Player/Coaching development. Most everyone is looking good so far.

Its been a pretty successful season in my opinion
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#31 » by Def Swami » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:27 am

It has been a lot better than last year. Last year was stressful as a fan. Between the Dwight fiasco and the team being a fringe contender, making every game important, there was much more to think about. I've enjoyed this season. Every game is a win for me. If we win, awesome. If we lose, also awesome. Rack up some more ping pong balls. I'm good with that. And I enjoy the college game, so I've been more inclined to watch more of it to see where we set our sights in the draft. And I have seen a lot of bright spots in our young players which gives me hope for our future.

However...I think next year is going to be rough. I can take a year of losing. But, I think at this time next year, I could see myself getting restless. Even now, with the trade deadline over, I just want to fast forward to the draft. It'll all payoff in the end. I think we're on the right path. If we're not in the hunt for a playoff spot after 2 years, that's when I'll start being disappointed.
arsenal6106
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#32 » by arsenal6106 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 am

I hate losing like everybody here, but overall I'm content. Most of our games have been competitive and the young guys are showing flashes of hope. I really hope Vucevic and AN work on their defense during the off-season.

We've got Harkless, AN,Quinn,Vucevic(kind of), JOnes, and Harris. One of them has to stick!
Confidence Poll[/size][/color][/url]
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#33 » by sportsrock37 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm with most of you. This year has been a lot more fun to watch games then last year. Last year was by far the worst year of Orlando Magic basketball for me. It was fun to watch the team win some games early in the year, but with that the young guys didn't get too much playing time(other than Vucevic obviously). While we are losing, the change in confidence of Harkless now the last 2-3 weeks has been unbelievable to see. The development and confidence level in Vucevic has been great to see as well. Watching Nicholson, O'Quinn and Moore get minutes has also been great. I'm living in Illinois now so it's been hard to watch a lot of the games on computer, but I make sure to check on my phone and the box score every game. I am definitely planning on watching tonights game to see the new guys.

The way I look at it is if 2-3 out of Harkless, Nicholson, Vucevic, Harris, O'Quinn and Lamb pan out to be NBA starter level players then we are in good shape. Vucevic is well on his way to being 1 of the players. If we are able to nail 1 of the next 2 years likely Top 5 draft picks that will be 3-4 starter quality players then you couple that with the cap space this team could be a good team in as soon as 2 years. I don't mention Moore because I don't see much improvement, but he will be a solid combo guard-Keyon Dooling off the bench type. With playing time for them to try to develop I think 3-4 of the guys I mentioned can be solid role players at worst when we are good, it's just a matter of 2 of them developing more than just role players.
Florida Gator Alum
Orlando Magic
Atlanta Braves
Washington Redskins
Washington Capitals

@badamsufl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#34 » by craig01 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:29 pm

This season is going about as I had expected.

The team plays hard, but how long will that last as we head into the dog days of the season?

The real pain/apathy probably will set in next year when this will still be a 20-win team.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#35 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Hope + Development >> A sinking ship

Taking this season so much better than I took last season. I'd rather see Harkless overperform with a 19/9 game rather than Dwight underperform at those same numbers any day of the week.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#36 » by magicmamma » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:37 pm

I was fine until JJ was traded.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#37 » by NickAnderson » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm

I really don't know what some of you expect out of jv we have a team full of rookies, new players and a new offense. He has done pretty freaking good considering all the close games we have had all season, it's not like we are getting blown out, that's pretty awesome considering we probably have to worst roster in the nba right now. It's great to see an offense where players actually cut and move not just post up and camp at the three point line.

And lol @ svg ever coming back henny isn't stupid.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,881

Post#38 » by eyriq » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:51 pm

I approach this season like a graduate semester, all about positioning for the future without much fun or instant gratification. My preferred path of Bynum/Anderson/Redick in hindsight was a pretty poor choice unless Bynum all of a sudden goes balls to the wall, so with the benefit of hindsight I'm pretty happy with Hennigan's moves. I think we'll be back into the playoffs two seasons from now, and if Hennigan gets fortunate with a franchise guy we'll be contending in short order.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#39 » by p0peye » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 pm

Loosing sucks, but I take optimist approach and like what I see in our young guys. If we luck out in the lottery, or develop our assets to get a star in a trade (I expect a lot of teams will be shedding money this offseason), we can be pretty good soon enough.

I don't mind rebuilds, kinda used to them as a part of the game.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#40 » by drsd » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:18 pm

This season sucks.

Return to Orlando Magic