Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#101 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Not surprising, KG has always been loyal to teams. He never really wanted to leave Minny. To the average fan he will be more remembered as a Celtic but hard core NBA fans will always think of the Timberwolves years first.
tmallory
Junior
And1: 17

Post#102 » by tmallory » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 pm

If KG wanted a championship he would have waived. I'm surprised the Clips were hesitantin the first place...you add KG to that squad and they'd actually compete for a title. Alas, KG seems to want comfort/legacy/loyalty instead of another ring. That's fine with me - hopefully Ainge seems the mistake in giving KG the NTC...that three year deal should have been a big enough favor.

The most interesting part of this to me is CP3 saying he'd make it happen if KG was willing. Sounds like he would have threatened to leave in the summer if the Clips were bone-headed enough to decline the deal.
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#103 » by Nanogeek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 pm

This seems pretty selfish of Garnett. Instead of allowing the Celtics to get some future assets he wanted to retire as a Celtic. I'm sure it would be cool to retire as a Celtic but it'd be alot more helpful if you give them the chance to prepare for the future instead of retiring and leaving them with nothing.
nakedput
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#104 » by nakedput » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 pm

that deal would have made the celtics better for this upcoming playoff run and long-term. I think bledsoe has potential to be a top 10 starting pg in the league, we (the celts) could have picked up j-smoove in the offseason, getting rid of stat padder rondo in the process. And lets be honest here, i respect the hell out of garnett for not waiving the no trade clause, but clippers have a way better chance of succeeding in the post season then the grandpa celtics. celtics will not get out of round 2 without serious help from stern err I mean the referee's.
bball34
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#105 » by bball34 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:30 am

The loyalty BS is getting really annoying.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#106 » by GreenBloodedC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 am

bball34 wrote:The loyalty BS is getting really annoying.

You're annoyed because you didn't get the replies you expected.
Well, at least for the most part
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,245

Post#107 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 am

What did the Jazz get for Stockton when he retired?

What did the Bulls get when Jordan retired in 97-98?

Certainly, the Pacers could of gotten something for Reggie's expiring deal.

They key is that some players like the idea of only playing in 1 or 2 cities for their careers, and they probably like the idea of attaching their legacy to a franchise. The fact that Ainge would even consider trading a guy who wants to retire a Celtic (outside of Pierce...when was the last time that happened lately)? I personally would of been pissed if KG was traded for Bledsoe and Jordan's awful contract. Not every player is a mercenary gunning for rings. And the clear plan is obviosuly to make one last run next year. Sully and Rondo will be back. Jeff Green will be more improved. The team is just a rebounder away from making noise. You just can't put a price on how Loyal KG has been to the C's, and he deserves more respect than to be included in all these trade talks.

Just because Ainge is a wheeler and dealer doesn't mean that all C's fans share that sentiment. Those two guys deserve to retire witht he C's (if that's what they want), and rebuilding can always happen later. Think about Hakeem's legacy had he not spent that one middling year in Toronto? The Rockets got a pick from Toronto who tehy used to draft Nachbar, who they eventually used to trade for David Wesley who left after a year? I wonder if the Rockets organization really thinks that that one draft pick was worth not keeping Hakeem a Rocket for his entire career, which is such a rarity in sports these days.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,504

Post#108 » by GSP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 am

Kg is one of the most loyal players in league history. Hopefully we can make it to the playoffs.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#109 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 am

bball34 wrote:
Steve Bulpett
Moot now, but as to whether KG would've waived his no-trade, CPaul and Chauncey couldn't convince him. Clips were still conflicted.

Ray Allen must laugh at him.
Not by any chance could he get another title with the Celtics.

After reading all of your posts I have come to 2 conclusions.

1. You get off on baiting the Celtic fanbase
2. You know what Ray Allen tastes like
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#110 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:36 am

The Clippers completely blew this. Their ineptitude was astounding.

Scenario #1: (which looks fairly close to what happened). CP3 calls KG and says, "There is some conflict here and the front office hasn't made formal trade offer, but if you want to come here I can make it happen."

Scenario #2: CP3 calls KG and says, "Everyone in the Clippers organization wants you here and so do I. We're going to make a formal trade offer and if the Celtics agree, our owner and GM want to reach out to you."

Someone in the Clippers front office didn't want to do the deal and it was torpedoed. A proud guy like KG would never waive his no trade under those circumstances, and the Clips front office should have informed CP3 that the deal was rejected instead of hanging him out to dry.

No wonder that CP3 is now saying that he isn't sure if he wants to sign with LA long term.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Deathclutch23
Rookie
And1: 39

Post#111 » by Deathclutch23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
bball34 wrote:
Steve Bulpett
Moot now, but as to whether KG would've waived his no-trade, CPaul and Chauncey couldn't convince him. Clips were still conflicted.

Ray Allen must laugh at him.
Not by any chance could he get another title with the Celtics.

After reading all of your posts I have come to 2 conclusions.

1. You get off on baiting the Celtic fanbase
2. You know what Ray Allen tastes like

Yup, an obvious troll.
"We are not here to talk about history, we are here to keep making it"
GoLakersKB24
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#112 » by GoLakersKB24 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:01 am

Curmudgeon wrote:The Clippers completely blew this. Their ineptitude was astounding.

Scenario #1: (which looks fairly close to what happened). CP3 calls KG and says, "There is some conflict here and the front office hasn't made formal trade offer, but if you want to come here I can make it happen."

Scenario #2: CP3 calls KG and says, "Everyone in the Clippers organization wants you here and so do I. We're going to make a formal trade offer and if the Celtics agree, our owner and GM want to reach out to you."

Someone in the Clippers front office didn't want to do the deal and it was torpedoed. A proud guy like KG would never waive his no trade under those circumstances, and the Clips front office should have informed CP3 that the deal was rejected instead of hanging him out to dry.

No wonder that CP3 is now saying that he isn't sure if he wants to sign with LA long term.

How did the clippers blow this.....KG didnt waive his clause, it had nothing to do with the clippers messing up. Try reading the whole thread before posting.
streetp0et
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#113 » by streetp0et » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 am

The fact that KG was the HS-to-pro player that brought the flood of HS draft entries to the NBA, the fact that his contract brought upon lockout and max contract, the fact that he was an MVP and the fact that his game/versatility was quite unique for his size, his legacy is so much better than Ray Allen.

And very few people will remember Ray Allen ring if he wins this year, just as I remember Gary Payton on the 95-96 Sonics and Mitch Richmond on the horrible Kings team.
nesta
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#114 » by nesta » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 am

KG can't play for coach Del Negro. He would be screaming out his name on and off the court in many different ways and Del Negro would suspend him.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#115 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 am

Props to KG. Never liked the guy but have to respect him for turning down that ring chasing crap.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#116 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:04 am

GoLakersKB24 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The Clippers completely blew this. Their ineptitude was astounding.

How did the clippers blow this.....KG didnt waive his clause, it had nothing to do with the clippers messing up. Try reading the whole thread before posting.

The Clippers blew it by being ambivalent, and by letting that ambivalence become public. No way that KG was going to waive his no trade to go to a team where someone in the front office didn't want him.

The Clips needed to fish or cut bait. If they didn't want to do the deal, fine, that's their perogative. Say no and move on.

But don't waffle and have your star player out there making futile phone calls.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#117 » by Pimpwerx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:55 am

Not gonna badmouth KG for this, and I don't like him as a player. I think it's respectable to stick with a team to the end. I would've been crushed if Marino ever went to another team to try to get a ring. I feel bad he never won here, but I appreciate his loyalty. KG graduated high school when I did, so he's a little old school. He probably fondly remembers sports before free agency. Lots of fans have no idea what life was like before free agency and cable television's expansion into sports. It used to be the norm to see guys serve out long terms with one team, and you were usually only limited to watching the popular teams, because the small teams rarely got time on network tv.

KG came into the league during the growth of free agency, so he probably identifies more with the old ways of team loyalty. Props to the dude. He may never win another ring, but you should never fault a guy for swearing allegiance to a team. That's actually one of the most noble things in sports, and it's nice to still see some guys honor that in this day and age. Free agency really changed the face of this sport. Players are like mercenaries now. I got no problem with that, but I respect loyalty. PEACE.
acrossthecourt
Pro Prospect
And1: 729

Post#118 » by acrossthecourt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am

He didn't even want to be traded when he was surrounded with crap in Minnesota. That's just KG.
Twitter: AcrossTheCourt
Website; advanced stats based with a few studies:
http://ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt.blogspot.com
beantownski
Bench Warmer
And1: 598

Post#119 » by beantownski » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 am

The celtics showed their loyalty to KG, and vice versa, by giving him a no trade clause.
KG is as loyal as any player in the league. He didn't want to leave Minny when it was a wasteland around him. Ainge had to do his job and listen to offers, but KG was never going anywhere.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their
shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and
you'll have their shoes.
big_ticket
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#120 » by big_ticket » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm

irie wrote:KG has always been a very loyal guy and didn't want to play anywhere else. Not really a surprise.

fixed

Return to The General Board