Rubio is an elite defender

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

koko
Pro Prospect
And1: 89

Rubio is an elite defender 

Post#1 » by koko » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:23 am

People gets it wrong, his passes and court vision are amazing, but his defense is his main weapon. Anyone watching the game against the Thunder had to agree. For the boxscore guys, I know Westbrook had all those points, no need to point it out.
Krodis
Lead Assistant
And1: 599

Re: Rubio is an elite defender 

Post#2 » by Krodis » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:31 am

He was an elite defender in Europe. People were skeptical he could do it in the NBA, but yeah, he's kept it up. Fantastic defender. Top 3 PG defender probably.
Chocobanana
Lead Assistant
And1: 214

Post#3 » by Chocobanana » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:35 am

His pnr defense needs work imo, but that is also on the bigs. Also, he helps off too much sometimes, I'm not sure if that is by design or not. But his instincts are really good.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,722

Post#4 » by Ayt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 am

It was obvious he was going to be a great defender in the NBA watching him in the Olympics a few years ago.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#5 » by spearsy23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 am

Odd game to make a thread after, but yeah he's generally great. Tonight he had a ton of steals but Russ was god mode so not much he could do overall.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#6 » by Guy986 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 am

Rubio is a great defender at PG but this is a weird game to bring it up.
rottenzombie
Lead Assistant
And1: 505

Post#7 » by rottenzombie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 am

Oddly I feel Rubio is a better team defender than an individual defender, which really is rare for a PG.

When playing 1 on 1 defense, he often gets beat by some of the ultra fast guards and he would get backed down by the stronger guards.

What he really excels at is by playing terrific help defense, harassing big men on the double, and disrupting opponent fast breaks.
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,006

Post#8 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:56 am

rottenzombie wrote:Oddly I feel Rubio is a better team defender than an individual defender, which really is rare for a PG.

When playing 1 on 1 defense, he often gets beat by some of the ultra fast guards and he would get backed down by the stronger guards.

What he really excels at is by playing terrific help defense, harassing big men on the double, and disrupting opponent fast breaks.

This. His long arms and instincts are what really make him great...but obviously he's not a super athlete so he gets beat by super quick guys...and he's not very strong yet.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#9 » by Pimpwerx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:47 am

Plays the passing lanes really well. His lateral quickness is probably underrated. I have to admit, though, that I probably fall victim to the same weakness to offense that other suffer from. 90% of the time I watch him play, I'm watching him on offense. Most of the time I notice his defense is on steals. PEACE.
EzeDoesIt
Junior
And1: 10

Post#10 » by EzeDoesIt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:56 am

rottenzombie wrote:Oddly I feel Rubio is a better team defender than an individual defender, which really is rare for a PG.

I feel like J. Lin is kind of that way, too.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,839

Post#11 » by JF5 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:09 am

spearsy23 wrote:Odd game to make a thread after, but yeah he's generally great. Tonight he had a ton of steals but Russ was god mode so not much he could do overall.

Russ is hard to stop when he has his shot going. Even then you can't stop his driving ability....

Rubio still a good defender
ChuckChilly
Veteran
And1: 2,635

Post#12 » by ChuckChilly » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:42 am

EzeDoesIt wrote:

I feel like J. Lin is kind of that way, too.

Maybe its because they both have good court awareness.
OKCThunderUp35
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#13 » by OKCThunderUp35 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:49 am

Pretty odd time to start a topic considering he got torched today, will give him props on those steals though.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,556

Post#14 » by Colbinii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:38 am

Imagine how good he would be with a player like Durant. Everyone would be saying he is a top 5 PG in the league.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
StyLeD
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#15 » by StyLeD » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:39 am

He had great defense even before his injury. I remember - he holds his hands out like waving antennae...very distracting.
rottenzombie
Lead Assistant
And1: 505

Post#16 » by rottenzombie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:50 am

JF5 wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Odd game to make a thread after, but yeah he's generally great. Tonight he had a ton of steals but Russ was god mode so not much he could do overall.

Russ is hard to stop when he has his shot going. Even then you can't stop his driving ability....

Rubio still a good defender

Not just talking about Westbrook. Obviously it is tough to stop Westbrook, who is one of the top athletes in the league.

I remember guys like Jennings and Teague were giving Rubio fits. These super fast guards could often get past him without too much trouble. Rubio could still poke the ball from behind from time to time, though.
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#17 » by Colbinii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:55 am

Do elite defensive PG lead the league in steals?
I think they do.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
carayip
Rookie
And1: 17

Post#18 » by carayip » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:55 am

Colbinii wrote:Imagine how good he would be with a player like Durant. Everyone would be saying he is a top 5 PG in the league.

Not really. Durant really doesn't need anyone to create shots for him. Rubio would be terrible as a spot up shooter when Durant has the ball creating. If Rubio's OKC PG, OKC's starting lineup would only has 1 legit scoring option and it would be horrible and put too much pressure for Durant to score.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#19 » by SportsGuy8 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 am

I watched around 75% of the game (multi-tasking), but from what I remember, Westbrook didn't really score that much vs. Rubio, because Adelman keeps playing small-ball with 2, sometimes even 3 PGs, so Rubio is often put on SGs or SFs (as his size is much bigger compared to Barea or Ridnour).

But anyways, Rottenzombie's assessment is pretty much spot on. He's a good 1on1 defender who has problems vs. either very fast or very strong PGs, but a SUPERB team defender, pretty much being an annoying pain in the butt to every team with his annoying hands and also very smart positioning. :)
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#20 » by Colbinii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 am

carayip wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Imagine how good he would be with a player like Durant. Everyone would be saying he is a top 5 PG in the league.

Not really. Durant really doesn't need anyone to create shots for him. Rubio would be terrible as a spot up shooter when Durant has the ball creating. If Rubio's OKC PG, OKC's starting lineup would only has 1 legit scoring option and it would be horrible and put too much pressure for Durant to score.

You wouldn't build a team with just 1 shot maker. I said imagine if he had Durant, not the OKC team.
You read something I didn't post :wink:

Circa 2018

Circa 2022

Return to The General Board