ImageImage

Official: Memphis trades for Randolph

Moderators: VCfor3, SD2042

GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 161

Re: Memphis trades for Randolph 

Post#101 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:32 pm

NetsForce wrote:Could the Grizz technically fail Randolph's physical and nix the trade on a technicality?

No need for that at all. They can simply say - nah, changed our minds. Nothing is in writing and the call finalizing it won't be made until after Stack clears waivers. The #1 thing that would keep this from happening is Wallace (and to a lesser degree) Heisley being men of their words.
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#102 » by Charcoal Filtered » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 pm

Now it is official. Not for sure why Gasol was let go if a season and a half later ZBo is the target, but atleast you picked up Marc.

Will say it does make for an interesting team next year.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#103 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Charcoal Filtered wrote:Now it is official. Not for sure why Gasol was let go if a season and a half later ZBo is the target, but atleast you picked up Marc.

Will say it does make for an interesting team next year.

So far the trade has yielded:

Marc Gasol
A year of savings on Pau's salary
Darrell Arthur
A future #1 - redeemed by shipping JCritt to the Wizards
Lakers 2010 #1

Plus - Z'Bo's salary has a significant portion deferred, which helps the bottom line.

Is it what I hoped the Grizz would get by moving Pau? No. Is it the best we could have gotten? Considering the owners criteria, likely. Is it more than the Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter 1 (to NJ), Vince Carter 2 (to Orlando), Shaq (to Cleveland), Billups have yielded? Yes on all counts.

Gasol was a cash dump. So were the other moves listed above. I don't believe in any case what was received is better than what the Grizz got for Gasol.

Ever hear the national press mention this? No.

Did Popovich lose any sleep by acquiring RJ? Hell no.

Ces le vie...
Tekkenlaw
Starter
And1: 39

Post#104 » by Tekkenlaw » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:37 am

The Pau Gasol trade was just starting to look like a solid move for the grizzlies and then this happened. Why pay Randolph that kind of money when you could have had a superior player for less?
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#105 » by SD2042 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:20 am

What superior player you had in mind?

Also, with Zbo on the roster for the next two seasons, I think the Grizz rather pay him for those two rather than the four seasons worth which he started out with in Portland.
dennis00
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Official: Memphis trades for Randolph 

Post#106 » by dennis00 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:53 pm

This ruins 2010 signings, or does Memphis think good players would never want to go to Memphis? No matter if max-contract was offered.
- Miami Heat 2011 Champions -
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#108 » by It_Was_Typed » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:56 am

Shame on Yahoo for forgetting to include this pic of Doughboy.

#JuiceIsFree
darkangle901
Starter
And1: 75

Post#109 » by darkangle901 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 am

I was just wondering what the reaction was at the time this happened (I was absent from the forum at that time).

Surprised at the almost universal negative reaction.
You can borrow ten cents; my two cents is free
vanjulio
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#110 » by vanjulio » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:06 pm

I went to one of the first preseason games in person the day after my wedding with my awesome wife that got us great tickets. I met Zach at our hotel the next morning and told him how excited I was. At first I definitely had my reservations about it but after a few weeks of mulling it over I had nothing to do but hope it works out.

You have to remember this was during the initial year or 2 of the "3YP" so we had to believe CW and MH had a plan and were building around the "core" of Conley/Gay/Mayo who we were ultra excited about. Mayo and Gasol were both coming out of being first team rookies. I dont know if anyone knew exactly how perfect it would work out for Memphis though. I had a feeling it could go either way. Since I like the Grizzlies so much I always choose to hope for the best.

I have met a handful of pro athletes here and there as a fan since I was a little kid. Meeting ZBO at the hotel that morning after getting crushed by the Orlando Magic stands out as one of the best. Obviously it was during a very important personal milestone for me and my new bride as well!! But ZBO was just 100% pleased to shake my hand and returned the same enthusiasm he had for the upcoming season. I said "I'm really excited for this year I think you guys can do big things"... something like that. And he was just all smiles and something along the lines of, "thank you man, that means so much, I really appreciate it. I think we can too"... etc. I was prepared a guarded response and that he'd be much more reserved. All the stuff you hear on the media about a person - it's garbage until you actually meet them for real.
==========================
Memphis Grizzlies Never Die
jefe
General Manager
And1: 634

Post#111 » by jefe » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

darkangle901 wrote:I was just wondering what the reaction was at the time this happened (I was absent from the forum at that time).

Surprised at the almost universal negative reaction.

Yeah, it's easy to forget just how much Zbo was looked down upon after being dumped by the Blazers through his trade to Memphis.

Somewhat OT, but I had a cousin who was a diehard Grizz fan and had been a season ticket holder for years prior to acquiring Zbo. After we traded for Zbo, he declined to renew his season ticket solely because of the decision to trade for Zbo rather than making a run for Lee or Milsap - he lost his faith in the Grizz's management. Needless to say, one year later (when we were in the playoff race but fell short) he felt dumb for doing it. For the last couple seasons he has purchased multiple power packs, but still hasn't bought another season ticket.

Incidentally, I bought my first season ticket for 09-10 and have renewed it every year since. You could say I got in on the ground floor for this current incarnation of the Grizz. :)
GrizzledGrizzFan
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by GrizzledGrizzFan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Great follow up post jefe. That was fun reading my, and others, initial reaction to the trade again.
darkangle901
Starter

Post#113 » by darkangle901 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I think the 09-10 season was when my opinion of Wallace changed. You could tell by season's end what a steal randolph was, and then 10-11 put all doubts to rest.

Let's be honest, if it were Lee we had acquired, we probably didn't make the playoffs in 2011, and even if we did, no way we beat the Spurs. Though 2012 might have been a better year with Lee, it doesn't really count because of Z's injury. Ditto for Milsap.

I still think that if dealing Rudy was the plan then the team waited too long. We should have re-upped Mayo if Gay was out: the deal he ended up getting was very affordable.
EzeDoesIt
Junior
And1: 10

Post#114 » by EzeDoesIt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:24 am

Crazy how things can change. I would have been upset to get him too, a couple years ago. Good for Z-Bo though, always liked him.
I Am Awesome-O
Rookie
And1: 544

Post#115 » by I Am Awesome-O » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 am

Zach Randolph is the best Grizzly of all time.

Also, I've met him and he is the biggest blue collar teddy bear in the NBA.

So naturally, I feel like a complete douche.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#116 » by SD2042 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 pm

It goes show that ppl are capable of change as long as they put their mind to it. I'm glad that Zbo was able to change for the better. He and the Grizzlies benefited from it. And here we are 3 yrs later and bound for the playoffs for the third time in a row.
Basketball MVP
Junior
And1: 406

Post#117 » by Basketball MVP » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 am

I'm thankful that Randolph is a Grizzly, and I could see his jersey retired here some day if he stays here.
Memphis basketball
blackjays1
Junior
And1: 0

Post#118 » by blackjays1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:23 am

Thats all on ZBo there, he's changed his state of mind and everyones opinion about getting him, put all that crap in the past.

Hope they pay that man his money and not trade him, im sure he'd be willing to negotiate a cheaper contract after next year and retires w/ MEM.
darkangle901
Starter

Post#119 » by darkangle901 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:14 am

blackjays1 wrote:Thats all on ZBo there, he's changed his state of mind and everyones opinion about getting him, put all that crap in the past.

Hope they pay that man his money and not trade him, im sure he'd be willing to negotiate a cheaper contract after next year and retires w/ MEM.

Well contract re-negotiations are not allowed in the NBA as far as I know. The Grizz might be able to get him to waive his $16.5 million player option for 2014-2015 in exchange for a reasonably priced contract extension (maybe $8mil per year) that will keep him in Memphis for good.

Return to Memphis Grizzlies