ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#421 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:40 pm

i had a nightmare last night. We traded Bradley Beal :(

I can't take it anymore. We need this GUY GONE.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#422 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 pm

bgroban wrote:Why do people keep blaming Ernie for this mess?

This is 100% on Ted.

I want Ted to sell. He and Ernie can have each other for life and be happy, and I mean that. Just let the fans have a team worth rooting for minus both of them. I'm not even a hockey fan but I hope he sells the Caps, too.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#423 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:00 pm

This is 100% on Ted.

:nod:

Finally, somebody else realizes this.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#424 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:17 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

This is 100% on Ted.

:nod:

Finally, somebody else realizes this.

Nah. Ted deserves blame no doubt. But Ernie's been here long enough to where his incompetence in making decisions consistently shows with the team consistently sucking.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#425 » by Wizards2Lottery » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Yeah because Ted is the reason why every guy Ernie drafts ends up as a bench player for another team in 3-4 years.

Ted sucks but Ernie is in a league of his own when it comes to horrible management.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#426 » by mhd » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Abe. At least Abe gave a crap about the team. At least Abe was 100% committed to winning (as misguided as moves were, you knew his heart was in the right place). Leonsis looks like a fool by keeping EG.
RealGM

Post#427 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:09 pm

mhd wrote:I never thought I'd say this, but I miss Abe. At least Abe gave a crap about the team. At least Abe was 100% committed to winning (as misguided as moves were, you knew his heart was in the right place). Leonsis looks like a fool by keeping EG.

+1

Abe was a man I respected. I do not respect Ted Leonsis.

Every since he and Ernie joined forces young players have been characterized as knuckleheads. Gilbert Arenas was thrown under the bus and they even called police on him, hoping to weasel out of his contract by having him prosecuted. They trade guys to better situations for the players, but only after the talent they acquired in the first place has been shown flawed. The problem is the owner and GM never accept the blame.

Abe was a man. Wittman is someone I respect because he is not above admitting his own faults. Ted Leonsis' character is on full display in Ted's Take. He is very smug. With all his billions he can afford to be. I think he cares about Ted's bottom line only. The same is true with smug Ernie Grunfeld.

He certainly doesn't care what Wizards fans feel or he would step down.
Bye bye Beal.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#428 » by Higga » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Abe was just an old man, out of touch with reality. I don't really blame him. In his time, the 70s, the Bullets were a top notch organization that was contending for titles. At the end he became a terrible owner but he at least had his moment in the sun and was at one point a really good owner.

Ted, in comparison, has done nothing as an owner besides a couple second round appearances by the Capitals and that was only after lucking into Alex Ovechkin.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
bgroban
Junior
And1: 48

Post#429 » by bgroban » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Wizards2Lottery wrote:Yeah because Ted is the reason why every guy Ernie drafts ends up as a bench player for another team in 3-4 years.

Ted sucks but Ernie is in a league of his own when it comes to horrible management.

Who pays Ernie to run the team?
bgroban
Junior
And1: 48

Post#430 » by bgroban » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:38 pm

Higga wrote:Abe was just an old man, out of touch with reality. I don't really blame him. In his time, the 70s, the Bullets were a top notch organization that was contending for titles. At the end he became a terrible owner but he at least had his moment in the sun and was at one point a really good owner.

Ted, in comparison, has done nothing as an owner besides a couple second round appearances by the Capitals and that was only after lucking into Alex Ovechkin.

I know from personal experience that Ted is an honorable, compassionate human being. He is self-made and does a lot of philanthropic work. I have the utmost respect for him.

But he is not ownership material.
RealGM

Post#431 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:38 pm

bgroban wrote:
Higga wrote:Abe was just an old man, out of touch with reality. I don't really blame him. In his time, the 70s, the Bullets were a top notch organization that was contending for titles. At the end he became a terrible owner but he at least had his moment in the sun and was at one point a really good owner.

I know from personal experience that Ted is an honorable, compassionate human being. He is self-made and does a lot of philanthropic work. I have the utmost respect for him.

But he is not ownership material.

Forgive me for overstepping in my emotionalism. I apologize to Ted Leonsis on everything not connected to the Wizards.

What I believe is he has blind faith in Ernie Grunfeld, and as a result is a failure as Wizards' owner. He is in over his head with the Wizards and the other teams he owns, too.

I talk really badly about Leonsis but one thing I can say is I've for years and years suggested things like "Draft Faried." Even right now, all Leonsis needs to do to turn the Wizards into successes is to fire Grunfeld and replace him with Troy Weaver. Trust Weaver to do the right things.

Randy would probably do okay with good talent but i think a great coach is available, Dave Joerger.

I have personally suggested this along with suggesting they sign Morris Almond. They actually did sign Almond and even though Morris didn't shoot well, the team was on a high and he did very well defensively as the team went 6-0. He never lost as a Wizard.

Ted Leonsis needs to listen to this: Troy Weaver and if Randy does not succeed, Dave Joerger.

I am 100% convinced this is all the man needs to do. The rest will take care of itself.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#432 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Wizards2Lottery wrote:Yeah because Ted is the reason why every guy Ernie drafts ends up as a bench player for another team in 3-4 years.

Thank You :nod:
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#433 » by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 pm

CCJ, you're delusional if you think coaching is what's sandbagging this team ahead of personnel.
Bullets -> Wizards
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#434 » by fishercob » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:25 am

We talk so much about Faried and Kawhi Leonard in these parts, but I think one of Grunfeld's single most pivotal blunders was coming within a pick of Roy Hibbert in 2008, only to come away with Javale McGee. Without knowing the specifics, it's fairly safe to say that the asking price to jump from 18 to 16 wouldn't have been exorbitant; replacing the Javale Experience (and subsequently Nene's contract) with one of the best young centers in the league would have changed a lot. We would have actually been able to rebuild on the fly.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
RealGM

Post#435 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:01 am

pancakes3 wrote:CCJ, you're delusional if you think coaching is what's sandbagging this team ahead of personnel.

Not the first time I've been called delusional, pancakes. :D

If you read the post, I said IF Randy falters replace him. I think Wittman's a good coach if you read everything else I've posted. Wittman is a stand up guy who has never had talent.

What I posted was Troy Weaver for EG is all I think it will take. I have read a lot about Weaver's background.

Also, pancakes, if you read up on Dave Joerger like I have you would know the guy has won championships in many leagues (and I don't even count the NBA summer league as Memphis' top assistant). Not only has he won but he has done so with a carousel of players coming and going. Joerger knows how to win.

That said, major props to Wittman because given what he has to play with the man IS getting it done. Players haven't quit on him. The guy doesn't throw players under the bus. He has a coach's doghouse and minutes are jerked at his behest, but that's what a coach does. No matter how deeply a player slides down the roster, if they are not Jordan Crawford they will find themselves playing again. I LOVE the way Randy plays 10 guys. Past coaches didn't manage minutes well. (Loved EJ the man but his big 3 were worn out by every 4th quarter against the Cavs in the playoffs). Wittman had a bad game before the break and IMO not much better the first game after; yet, I still like the guy as a good coach.

pancakes, I am not delusional in saying I think Weaver would turn the talent evaluation and the perception of Wizards management around PAST the image turnover under Ted/EG. Weaver's experience with both Sam Presti and as a scout for the Jazz lead me to believe the man is imminently qualified. Not only that, he's a PG County guy who has coached the DC Assault and he knows the modern era AAU baller who makes the NBA.

Weaver scouted Paul Millsap for the Jazz IIRC.

Trust me: All Leonsis has to do is hire Weaver.

Stick with Randy until he loses the team. If Joerger is available the Wizards will have greatness around the time Wall and Beal are ready to be great together (if Wall isn't traded by then).
Bye bye Beal.
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,150

Post#436 » by Zonkerbl » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:37 am

I wonder if Wittman even wants to be a hc. Seems like hes a good soldier who steps in when he has to.

Ted is responsible for the team culture. He is judging eg on the record he has under his employment.He's not responsible for egs transactions but he could just fire him.

Ted has no choice but to be patient, certainly more than we are. The team non-wall non-nene roster is the main reason we are mad at eg and they are playing much better than they were earlier in the season. Oak is better. Beal is better.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#437 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 am

Executive of the Year

1. Bob Meyers, Warriors: A balanced roster with smart contracts. Their prudence at the deadline was appreciated.

2. Daryl Morey, Rockets: The Robinson deal was just icing on the cake of a team he loaded and made dangerous while keeping his options open.

3. Billy King, Nets: As many issues as they have, they've still improved. Spending money is a talent, I guess

4. Masai Ujiri, Nuggets: Put together a fun, versatile, flexible roster and didn't do anything impetuous at the trade deadline.

5. Glen Grunwald, Knicks: Surprisingly, they're very good for the money.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... -year-race

What a travesty, somehow Ernie is never in consideration for Executive of the year.
Nigel Tufnel
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#438 » by Nigel Tufnel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:54 pm

So glad we traded the 5th pick in 2009 instead of taking Steph Curry (or for that matter DeMar DeRozen or Brandon Jennings). Way to go Ernie!
milellie111
Pro Prospect
And1: 245

Post#439 » by milellie111 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 5:56 pm

Thought you guys might find this thread interesting on PSD forum. "Worst GM In The League"

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?806572-Worst-GM-in-the-league
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#440 » by montestewart » Tue Mar 5, 2013 6:27 pm

I was trying to track down the outcome of the conditional draft pick the Wizards got from Memphis for Navarro's rights, and then traded back to Memphis (with Daniels) for James and Crittendon. It looks like it ended up being traded to Utah in 2010 for Ronnie Brewer, and later that year to Minnesota (w/ Kosta Koufos) for Al Jefferson. Minnesota drafted Donatas Motiejunas 20th with it in 2011. Others that were available @ 20 were Kenneth Faried, MarShon Brooks, Kenneth Faried, Chandler Parsons, Kenneth Faried, Isaiah Thomas, Kenneth Faried, Lavoy Allen, and Kenneth Faried.

But teams need veterans, to show them the way. Therefore, Mike James, baby.

Return to Washington Wizards