GT Feb 22nd, 2013 (MIN/OKC & SAS/GSW on ESPN)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Re: GT Feb 22nd, 2013 (MIN/OKC & SAS/GSW on ESPN) 

Post#801 » by Flash Falcon X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 am

TaylorMonkey wrote:
NaturalThunder wrote:
TwentyOne920 wrote:I'll take losing IN Golden State tbh, these guys beat OKC, MIA after all

Beat the Thunder under the same circumstances they beat the Spurs. Team in the middle of a road trip on the second night of a back-to-back. The Spurs got it even worse, having to go to OT. Not saying that was the sole reason the Warriors won, but it certainly helped. It just looked like San Antonio just ran out of gas in the end. Made some silly mental mistakes you rarely see them make.

I knew someone would bring this up. Spurs rested their starters yesterday because of a blowout. Duncan only played 16, and the starters 25.

And where was our sympathy when we dropped 5 after playing two back to back games in five nights on the road, against OKC and MEM no less, and one more at home for 5 games in 8 days?

Yeah, Andrew Bogut wasn't even playing this game either.

But regarding that 6 game losing streak, people are REALLY starting to underrate the Warriors just because of that slump.

The losing streak started with that 4 game road trip against Playoff teams in 5 nights, 3 of those games were without Jarrett Jack and 2 of those games were without Andrew Bogut. Also, it was 10 games in 16 days where 8 of them were during two stretches of 4 games in 5 nights.

The only game I'm really mad about during that losing streak was the home game against Houston. That was unacceptable; the Warriors expected to have an easy game since they were finally at home after that tough road trip and let their guard down against the Rockets.

Their loss against the Jazz wasn't as bad since the Jazz are really good at home. Golden State just has to learn from that slump they had and make sure they take advantage of ending the season with the most home games in the NBA and use it to build momentum going into the Playoffs.
#DubNation
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#802 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:58 am

carayip wrote:Jarret Jack is basically Monta Part 2 in a fraction of the salary.

Except Jack can handle and he actually makes big shots at the end of games. And he's actually efficient. Jack is what Ellis could have been if he worked on his handles, embraced the PG role, and was willing to come off the bench.
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#803 » by King d » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:59 am

whatchaknow wrote:
King d wrote:Batum's controversial "two pointer"

http://i.imgur.com/B2GDwLu.jpg

Looks like a 3 but i highly doubt the refs had that clear of an image of it on the replay... As a Blazer fan they called it a two (apparently 2 of the 3 actually called it a 3) and it was too dang close to call so they couldnt overturn it. No complaint here

I'm reading that referees have zoom functions on those HD monitors. Don't know if it's true, but if it is they should have seen something like this

Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#804 » by Pimpwerx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 am

There was a closer angle from the baseline, and I'll be damned if his toe wasn't on the line. Understand I wanted Portland to win, and I think they got jobbed really bad on that obvious reach-in by Metta. However, I don't believe for a minute that shot was a 3. HD don't lie!

That said, the refs owed Portland that 3 just because we all watched a million replays of a reach-in foul that resulted in the Lakers getting the ball back, eventhough most of us saw is clearly in realtime. Again, HD don't lie! Portland just, honestly, fell victim to some bad calls at the end there. Still, it's their own fault for leaving it close enough for refs to determine the outcome. They just didn't do enough to win. PEACE.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager

Post#805 » by Flash Falcon X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:01 am

justinandimcool wrote:
Bay Based wrote:
harold lewis wrote:The day Golden State goes into San Antonio and wins a game then wake me up.

Spurs will win 4-1 if they meet in May.

I would actually rather have the Warriors play the Spurs in the Playoffs than the Thunder and Clippers.

Only reason the Warriors lost that game in San Antonio earlier this season is because Stephen Curry wasn't playing.

Yeah, GSW/SAS goes at least 6, almost guaranteed 7.

I've watched a lot of Spurs games in my life, especially the past few seasons with this system, and you just know when a certain coach has the Spurs figured out. Thibs, Hollins, Brooks, and now Jackson has the same kind of fire in his team. It's one thing to have a great defensive anchor and Lee, but they seem to run off every shooter and turn every play into a broken one. Definitely do not want to see the Warriors (or Grizz/OKC) for that matter.

In other words: getting to the finals will be really, really, really hard.

Lol, I was just kidding about that Curry thing. The Spurs were playing without Ginobili that game so I don't know who would have won.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs blow out the Warriors in their next game. Obivously I wouldn't want that to happen, but knowing Poppovich he's definitely going to make sure his team gets their revenge. However in the Playoffs I'm hoping the Warriors could keep it competitive if they face the Spurs.
#DubNation
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#806 » by TwentyOne920 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:02 am

justinandimcool wrote:
3 point shooting teams always make me paranoid. If they meet in the playoffs it won't be Jack beating us but Curry/Thompson hitting their usual looks. If we can run them off the line like the first half then it's fine, but the second half was an abortion. Very concerning, would hate to see them in the playoffs. Our 90-ish point effort in regulation may very well be 110 if they get hot.

Just as with OKC last season the problem wasn't so much giving up the 3 as it was letting a team that thrives off pullup jumpers get them.

Also, I think Pop should run a different lineup every game in the playoffs so that opposing coaches can't really game plan :lol:
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
harold lewis
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#807 » by harold lewis » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 am

FWIW Lakers are 2-0 against GSW this season. I believe they're the ones LA is seeking to supplant.
carayip
Rookie
And1: 17

Post#808 » by carayip » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 am

TaylorMonkey wrote:
carayip wrote:Jarret Jack is basically Monta Part 2 in a fraction of the salary.

Except Jack can handle and he actually makes big shots at the end of games. And he's actually efficient. Jack is what Ellis could have been if he worked on his handles, embraced the PG role, and was willing to come off the bench.

Monta was actually pretty efficient in his early Warriors days.
timlin500
Starter
And1: 124

Post#809 » by timlin500 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 am

Lol Warriors haven't won in San Antonio since like 1995. So no need to worry Spurs fans lol
Flash Falcon X
General Manager

Post#810 » by Flash Falcon X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 am

TaylorMonkey wrote:

Monta would have embraced the PG role if the Warriors didn't draft a point guard to take that starting PG position after Monta was told he would be the replacement of Baron Davis.
#DubNation
King d
Banned User

Post#811 » by King d » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:05 am

Pimpwerx wrote:

There was a closer angle from the baseline, and I'll be damned if his toe wasn't on the line. Understand I wanted Portland to win, and I think they got jobbed really bad on that obvious reach-in by Metta. However, I don't believe for a minute that shot was a 3. HD don't lie!

That said, the refs owed Portland that 3 just because we all watched a million replays of a reach-in foul that resulted in the Lakers getting the ball back, eventhough most of us saw is clearly in realtime. Again, HD don't lie! Portland just, honestly, fell victim to some bad calls at the end there. Still, it's their own fault for leaving it close enough for refs to determine the outcome. They just didn't do enough to win. PEACE.

IDK man, looks pretty clear to me that it was a 3pt, but whatever. Gotta move on
NaturalThunder
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#812 » by NaturalThunder » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:10 am

Bay Based wrote:The losing streak started with that 4 game road trip against Playoff teams in 5 nights, 3 of those games were without Jarrett Jack and 2 of those games were without Andrew Bogut. Also, it was 10 games in 16 days where 8 of them were during two stretches of 4 games in 5 nights.

The only game I'm really mad about during that losing streak was the home game against Houston. That was unacceptable; the Warriors expected to have an easy game since they were finally at home after that tough road trip and let their guard down against the Rockets.

Their loss against the Jazz wasn't as bad since the Jazz are really good at home. Golden State just has to learn from that slump they had and make sure they take advantage of ending the season with the most home games in the NBA and use it to build momentum going into the Playoffs.

Welcome to internet based sports fandom. People have started to doubt and over criticize the Thunder because of their 3-game losing streak. Even though those losses were to the Heat who are on a different level right now than anyone in the league other than the Spurs; at Utah where the Jazz play like an elite team; and at Houston where they scored 20 something points in the last 5 minutes and made everything.

I agree with you about the Warriors. No need to freak out about a losing streak when it's mostly road games against playoff caliber teams. While they got the Spurs on the second night of a back-to-back, that was still a really good win for them. And they got the win mostly because of their defense (and Jarrett Jack being awesome) against arguably the most dangerous and prolific offense in the league. It should really help their confidence and may be just the right thing to break them out of this slump for awhile.
Said in a thread about which point guards would make OKC better if they replaced Westbrook:
Coxy wrote:I think with a PG like George Hill, they'd be better than current.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#813 » by cdubbz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 am

you my friend must not know basketball very well. Jarret Jack and Ellis are two completely different players.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager

Post#814 » by Flash Falcon X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 am

dreamchaser wrote:Sucks for the Lakers that GSW & Houston won today after their hard fought win over Portland.

Are people really expecting that the Lakers will catch up to the Warriors?

I know the Warriors lost 6 in a row, but I explained why in a post above.

The main factor here is that Golden State is ending their season with the most home games left in the NBA. I think the Warriors are most likely going to be competing for 4/5 rather than 7/8 seed.
#DubNation
PurpleRooster
Rookie
And1: 55

Post#815 » by PurpleRooster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:12 am

As it pertains to the three pointer by Batum....

At a certain point can't we rule by the spirit of the law, and not the letter of the law?

I mean really? That isn't a three pointer? Really?

It is either a three point shot, or the LONGEST two-pointer of all time. I mean seriously. There is nobody that would object to that being a three pointer.

(outside of Lakers fans)
Enjoy every sandwich.
PurpleRooster
Rookie
And1: 55

Post#816 » by PurpleRooster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:13 am

Bay Based wrote:
dreamchaser wrote:Sucks for the Lakers that GSW & Houston won today after their hard fought win over Portland.

Are people really expecting that the Lakers will catch up to the Warriors?

I know the Warriors lost 6 in a row, but I explained why in a post above.

The main factor here is that Golden State is ending their season with the most home games left in the NBA. I think the Warriors are most likely going to be competing for 4/5 rather than 7/8 seed.

Houston, Utah, Golden State are the teams indeed in play for them right now.

In my opinion, they aren't catching any of them, but they are the teams to watch in this race to the playoffs.
Enjoy every sandwich.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager

Post#817 » by Flash Falcon X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:19 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:I've noticed that fans of teams with long periods of mediocrity tend to be more passionate...

That's because those fans have been tested for several years and have proven to support their team so much no matter what.

All the other basketball fans in the Bay Area who couldn't handle the Warriors losing are now Lakers fans. That's why whenever the Lakers come to Oracle all of the Bay Area Lakers fans come out and fill half the arena and talk crap about their own hometown Warriors. It's annoying.
#DubNation
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#818 » by TwentyOne920 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 am

Bay Based wrote:
TwentyOne920 wrote:I've noticed that fans of teams with long periods of mediocrity tend to be more passionate...

That's because those fans have been tested for several years and have proven to support so team so much no matter what.

All the other basketball fans in the Bay Area who couldn't handle the Warriors losing are now Warriors fans. That's why whenever the Lakers come to Oracle all of the Bay Area Lakers fans come out and fill half the arena and talk crap about their own hometown Warriors. It's annoying.

I was thinking of Raps fans too. But yes, fire forged fandom.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
King d
Banned User

Post#819 » by King d » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:20 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4JLfFU1fs[/youtube]

Am I the only one who sees MWP almost breakingClaver's arm here?
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#820 » by whatchaknow » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:21 am

PurpleRooster wrote:It is either a three point shot, or the LONGEST two-pointer of all time. I mean seriously. There is nobody that would object to that being a three pointer.

(outside of Lakers fans)

Well yeah everyone would be ok because everyone hates the Lakers :lol: :lol:

I kind of get what your saying though and it makes sense in a weird way. But lets get real if thats ruled a 3 and Portland somehow comes back to win... La La Land goes absolutely crazy and one of those refs potentially gets jumped on his way out the gym sooooo... lets just leave it as is

Return to The General Board