GT Feb 22nd, 2013 (MIN/OKC & SAS/GSW on ESPN)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Re: GT Feb 22nd, 2013 (MIN/OKC & SAS/GSW on ESPN) 

Post#821 » by Flash Falcon X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:23 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:
Bay Based wrote:
TwentyOne920 wrote:I've noticed that fans of teams with long periods of mediocrity tend to be more passionate...

That's because those fans have been tested for several years and have proven to support so team so much no matter what.

All the other basketball fans in the Bay Area who couldn't handle the Warriors losing are now Warriors fans. That's why whenever the Lakers come to Oracle all of the Bay Area Lakers fans come out and fill half the arena and talk crap about their own hometown Warriors. It's annoying.

I was thinking of Raps fans too. But yes, fire forged fandom.

I meant to say they're now Lakers fans. I edited my post but you read it before I got to post it lol.

But yeah, Warriors had that streak of not making the Playoffs for 12 straight years, so I don't blame people in the Bay for not being able to handle that and deciding to root for the Lakers. What's annoying is that they decide to talk crap about their own hometown team.
#DubNation
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#822 » by whatchaknow » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:23 am

King d wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4JLfFU1fs[/youtube]

Am I the only one who sees MWP almost breakingClaver's arm here?

I was more worried about the 3 1/2 steps he took and the double dribble :lol: :lol:
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#823 » by King d » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:28 am

whatchaknow wrote:
King d wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4JLfFU1fs[/youtube]

Am I the only one who sees MWP almost breakingClaver's arm here?

I was more worried about the 3 1/2 steps he took and the double dribble :lol: :lol:

Worst thing is I even noticed that was clearly a foul when watching a totally pixelated nba stream online and the refs couldn't...
witnessraps
RealGM
And1: 4,650

Post#824 » by witnessraps » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:51 am

refs were terrible in that lakers game.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#825 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:59 am

NaturalThunder wrote:
Bay Based wrote:The losing streak started with that 4 game road trip against Playoff teams in 5 nights, 3 of those games were without Jarrett Jack and 2 of those games were without Andrew Bogut. Also, it was 10 games in 16 days where 8 of them were during two stretches of 4 games in 5 nights.

The only game I'm really mad about during that losing streak was the home game against Houston. That was unacceptable; the Warriors expected to have an easy game since they were finally at home after that tough road trip and let their guard down against the Rockets.

Their loss against the Jazz wasn't as bad since the Jazz are really good at home. Golden State just has to learn from that slump they had and make sure they take advantage of ending the season with the most home games in the NBA and use it to build momentum going into the Playoffs.

Welcome to internet based sports fandom. People have started to doubt and over criticize the Thunder because of their 3-game losing streak. Even though those losses were to the Heat who are on a different level right now than anyone in the league other than the Spurs; at Utah where the Jazz play like an elite team; and at Houston where they scored 20 something points in the last 5 minutes and made everything.

I agree with you about the Warriors. No need to freak out about a losing streak when it's mostly road games against playoff caliber teams. While they got the Spurs on the second night of a back-to-back, that was still a really good win for them. And they got the win mostly because of their defense (and Jarrett Jack being awesome) against arguably the most dangerous and prolific offense in the league. It should really help their confidence and may be just the right thing to break them out of this slump for awhile.

The Spurs are amazing. Outside of Parker and Duncan, and to some extent, an ailing Ginobli, none of their other players are really all that special. We were clearly disrupting a lot of their sets and offensive flow and we were still neck and neck the whole game. Even down 10 before we chipped away and Jack got his swag on.

Anyway, when watching them, I keep thinking, "this is the best team in basketball?" because visually they don't strike you that way. Props to Pops.
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#826 » by MistyMountain20 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:11 am

Bay Based wrote:
dreamchaser wrote:Sucks for the Lakers that GSW & Houston won today after their hard fought win over Portland.

Are people really expecting that the Lakers will catch up to the Warriors?

I know the Warriors lost 6 in a row, but I explained why in a post above.

The main factor here is that Golden State is ending their season with the most home games left in the NBA. I think the Warriors are most likely going to be competing for 4/5 rather than 7/8 seed.

The thought process should be more due to Golden State's weak SRS. Basically their games could have easily gone either way and right now they happen to be squeaking by. Maybe they did enough of that where it won't matter as much or the return of Bogut will offset that, but GS hasn't been particularly dominant.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant

Post#827 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:15 am

carayip wrote:
TaylorMonkey wrote:
carayip wrote:Jarret Jack is basically Monta Part 2 in a fraction of the salary.

Except Jack can handle and he actually makes big shots at the end of games. And he's actually efficient. Jack is what Ellis could have been if he worked on his handles, embraced the PG role, and was willing to come off the bench.

Monta was actually pretty efficient in his early Warriors days.

From the bench. Precisely.
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant

Post#828 » by TaylorMonkey » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:17 am

Bay Based wrote:
TaylorMonkey wrote:
carayip wrote:Jarret Jack is basically Monta Part 2 in a fraction of the salary.

Except Jack can handle and he actually makes big shots at the end of games. And he's actually efficient. Jack is what Ellis could have been if he worked on his handles, embraced the PG role, and was willing to come off the bench.

Monta would have embraced the PG role if the Warriors didn't draft a point guard to take that starting PG position after Monta was told he would be the replacement of Baron Davis.

Lol. They drafted another tiny shooting guard. Except this one actually has handles.
justinandimcool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,097

Post#829 » by justinandimcool » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:34 am

TaylorMonkey wrote:The Spurs are amazing. Outside of Parker and Duncan, and to some extent, an ailing Ginobli, none of their other players are really all that special. We were clearly disrupting a lot of their sets and offensive flow and we were still neck and neck the whole game. Even down 10 before we chipped away and Jack got his swag on.

Anyway, when watching them, I keep thinking, "this is the best team in basketball?" because visually they don't strike you that way. Props to Pops.

If I'm being honest with myself, I saw a lot of remnants of 2011 against Memphis and 2012 against OKC tonight. While it's a nice idea that we have such team oriented guys who know their role, it's still painfully obvious when the going gets tough that the Spurs roster has once again overdosed on their fascination with 'classyball'.

In a professional league such as this, running sets and knowing your role won't beat hungry, young, tough, super athletic swagged out teams. It's just the culture of the game today. Attitude and athleticism wins out more than not these days. Ball movement and execution can only do so much if you can't match the quickness and energy.

Pop is GREAT against 90% of the league, but against 10% of the league he looks outdated and proves the Spurhaters right.

My one and only hope this year is that our defense is different than years past. We actually have some balls now, we'll see if it makes up for the lack of length and quickness.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,307

Post#830 » by Shem » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:44 am

You gotta give Dave from BlazersEdge props for writing this:

Had this game been played in Charlotte I'm not sure I'd be taking such pains to explain this. But I'm keenly aware that this happened in Los Angeles, with the Lakers, in a game that--if not exactly "must win"--was important in their burgeoning push for the playoffs. If I'm a Rockets fan, a Mavericks fan, a Jazz fan, or really anybody in the playoff picture I'm not happy about this either. Memo to the NBA: we've seen things like this happen too many times for the Lakers to accept or pass over this. After the referee scandal in which specific accusations were made that officials conspired to help this specific team you promised that the league was clean. Review those fouls against LaMarcus Aldridge. Review those calls in the last couple of minutes...THREE of them at minimum. Now come back and tell us that again. The only way you can do that is admit some sky-high-level incompetence here, which should earn its own reward. And while you're trying to determine an appropriate response, review the reaction of these refs to the Blazers when they were questioned. Apparently one of your officials thinks Metta World Peace didn't touch Nicolas Batum on that baseline play after having seen the replay multiple times. Go figure that out.

posting.php?mode=edit&f=28&p=34854867
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#831 » by Jajwanda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 am

justinandimcool wrote:
TaylorMonkey wrote:The Spurs are amazing. Outside of Parker and Duncan, and to some extent, an ailing Ginobli, none of their other players are really all that special. We were clearly disrupting a lot of their sets and offensive flow and we were still neck and neck the whole game. Even down 10 before we chipped away and Jack got his swag on.

If I'm being honest with myself, I saw a lot of remnants of 2011 against Memphis and 2012 against OKC tonight. While it's a nice idea that we have such team oriented guys who know their role, it's still painfully obvious when the going gets tough that the Spurs roster has once again overdosed on their fascination with 'classyball'.

In a professional league such as this, running sets and knowing your role won't beat hungry, young, tough, super athletic swagged out teams. It's just the culture of the game today. Attitude and athleticism wins out more than not these days. Ball movement and execution can only do so much if you can't match the quickness and energy.

Pop is GREAT against 90% of the league, but against 10% of the league he looks outdated and proves the Spurhaters right.

My one and only hope this year is that our defense is different than years past. We actually have some balls now, we'll see if it makes up for the lack of length and quickness.

Has nothing to do with running sets and swag. Has to do with other team's increasing their level of play, matching San Antonio and execution and beating them out of sheer talent.

Your teams lacks ISO scoring. They have no explosive scorer to carry them through a drought.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#832 » by spearsy23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Wow, overreaction to the 2nd game of a back to back. Tony Parker isn't an explosive scorer now?
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
justinandimcool
Lead Assistant

Post#833 » by justinandimcool » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:02 pm

I get his point, it's not like TP is this machine of a scorer that can carry us through stretches by himself. That said, there are only like 4 players like that in the world so it's not a big deal.

And it has everything to do with the Warriors swag = aka attitude, toughness, discipline, energy. Jarrett Jack helped too, but it was mostly due to intensity on the defensive end. It disallowed the Spurs to run their sets. If the Spurs can't run their sets and play classyball, they don't have the athleticism or "nasty" to fall back on- it happened with young teams like OKC, Memphis, and now GSW. This was a nice reminder of what needs to be developed so this doesn't happen in April or May again.
Banned User
And1: 536

Post#834 » by 420 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:03 pm

How many games would your favorite team win if they shot 34 FTAs to their opponents 12 FTAs.

I'll kick things off: 82-0 and 16-0 in the playoffs.

Go.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#835 » by Flash Falcon X » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Mark Jackson's speech in the huddle last night.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGy289NdIc[/youtube]
#DubNation
justinandimcool
Lead Assistant

Post#836 » by justinandimcool » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:40 pm

That was awesome. It really is a special thing when you see a coach that relates to his team and can get them to buy in.

Sometimes I feel like Pop lacks this. I look at guys like Blair, Diaw, Splitter, Neal, etc. interact with Pop and their body language just has this aura of resentment. Sometimes I feel the morale is low even when they're winning because of how hard Pop is on the guys.
Pimpwerx
Banned User
And1: 78

Post#837 » by Pimpwerx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 pm

Jackson has to be a coach and a veteran leader on such a young team. That was a great motivational speech. Even if they lost, he would have won the faith of some of the guys because he showed confidence in them in a big moment. Good for him. PEACE.

Return to The General Board