Poll: Is it acceptable to boo your own team?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Is it acceptable to boo your own team?

Yes, whenever I want, as loud as I want.
38%
Yes, but only on rare occasions.
50%
No, it's never acceptable.
12%

Total votes: 143

Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Poll: Is it acceptable to boo your own team? 

Post#1 » by Scraptor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:11 am

Despite another victory in Raptorland, our board is awash in furious debate over the ACC booing Bargnani mercilessly. Kyle Lowry ended up tweeting about it after the game, asking the fans to stop.

What does the General Board think? Do you boo your own players or the team? Do you think it's okay? When is it not okay?
Fed
Junior
And1: 424

Re: Poll: Is it acceptable to boo your own team? 

Post#2 » by Fed » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:14 am

You paid for your tickets, you can chant what you'd like, unless you're shouting vulgarity but a simple, "Kohl SUCKS!", is fine. You are upset. Let yourself be heard.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,846

Post#3 » by The Explorer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:16 am

The fans that pay to sit in the arenas are indirectly paying the players. If they are not performing up to par, of course they can boo
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#4 » by branny » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:18 am

I think it's ok if you think they're under performing
BattleTested
Veteran
And1: 529

Post#5 » by BattleTested » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:30 am

Yes. If your team is performing poorly, I'd much rather watch a game with a fan who keeps it real than a fan who blindly cheers for his team and pretends they're perfect.
Lakers fan since 99.

PCProductions wrote:NBA has probably the most parity of any pro sport.
Sunsaholic
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#6 » by Sunsaholic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:31 am

If you can pay you can say. You can boo bad play.
EzeDoesIt
Junior

Post#7 » by EzeDoesIt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 am

No, your NBA team can do no wrong.
Midway Bully
Assistant Coach
And1: 375

Post#8 » by Midway Bully » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 am

They were booing Bargs, not the whole team. If ever there was a player who deserves those boos, it's him.
good intentions are microscopic to fat pockets
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#9 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:35 am

Booing a team or player thats underperforming is fine. Booing a bench player trying to come back from injury and worwk their way into the rotation because youre secretly pissed that the team is finally winning because it means your GM wont get fired, so the only way to express youre frustrations is to boo said player, thats just pathetic bro.
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.
Xsy
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#10 » by Xsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:37 am

Al Jefferson said this after a blowout game where the Jazz fans jeered.

"If I was them," said center Al Jefferson, who scored 10 points and grabbed 8 rebounds. "I would have booed us, too. That’s what we love about our fans. They’re going to tell us the truth. We should have been booing ourselves."
Jazz on your face.
EzeDoesIt
Junior

Post#11 » by EzeDoesIt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:38 am

Midway Bully wrote:They were booing Bargs, not the whole team. If ever there was a player who deserves those boos, it's him.

Why would you boo the player who single-handedly saved your franchise just because he's in a shooting slump?
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#12 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 am

EzeDoesIt wrote:
Midway Bully wrote:They were booing Bargs, not the whole team. If ever there was a player who deserves those boos, it's him.

Why would you boo the player who single-handedly saved your franchise just because he's in a shooting slump?

When he was busy ruining the franchise no one booed him and his lack of effort. When hes trying to recover from injury and work his way into the rotation off the bench, all of a sudden he gets boos. Its more about finding an outlet to hate on BC now that the team is winning then it is about Primo Pastas poor play. Bargs has no barring on the fortunes of the team now, booing him does nothing but piss off our team and hurt his trade value even more.
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#13 » by whatchaknow » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 am

I think you better have a good reason. If a guy is not playing hard and is out there pouting or coasting or something along those lines fine but if a guy is just physically playing poorly i dont see how the booing is gonna be beneficial in any way. I dont think booing a player because he is not playing up to his contract is necessary either. Some things a player cant control like his salary situation.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#14 » by Optms » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:47 am

Haha @ Lowry asking the fans to stop it.

This isn't anything new. When your own fans go out of their way to get on you, you deserve it.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,555

Post#15 » by Colbinii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am

Shouldn't you be booing your GM instead? He gave Bargs the contract, and it isn't like Bargs is going to say "im not worth that much, give me less money!"
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#16 » by Spicy P » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:54 am

They didn't boo the team, they booed a single player. A player who's not pulling his own weight out there while all the other players are playing their asses off. He's playing like ass and looks like he doesn't give a **** out there. He might technically be on the team, but he sure as **** isn't a part of the team when he's on the court. In this case, it's perfectly acceptable. He gets paid $10 million a year to put on a uniform and pretend to play basketball. If he doesn't like the boos, he can gtfo and retire. I can't believe Colangelo didn't trade his ass and I have to see his annoying face and his goddamn Primo pasta commercials for the rest of the season.
Spicy P
RealGM

Post#17 » by Spicy P » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 am

Colbinii wrote:Shouldn't you be booing your GM instead? He gave Bargs the contract, and it isn't like Bargs is going to say "im not worth that much, give me less money!"

Colangelo's not the one out there playing lazy defense, avoiding rebounds and throwing up bricks.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,555

Post#18 » by Colbinii » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:00 am

SalamiNCheez wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Shouldn't you be booing your GM instead? He gave Bargs the contract, and it isn't like Bargs is going to say "im not worth that much, give me less money!"

Colangelo's not the one out there playing lazy defense, avoiding rebounds and throwing up bricks.

Did you ever expect him to play good defense or be anything but a below average rebounder?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Spicy P
RealGM

Post#19 » by Spicy P » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:04 am

Colbinii wrote:
SalamiNCheez wrote:

Did you ever expect him to play good defense or be anything but a below average rebounder?

Yes, because he's shown flashes of his potential and put in at least 50% effort at the time. He's not even trying right now and completely mailing it in.

I know he's not going to be the next Dirk and he's got some limitations, but I just want him to at least put some effort out there and pretend like he actually cares about basketball. If he had the heart and hustle of Amir Johnson, he'd be one hell of a player.
cgg
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#20 » by cgg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am

Only if Stephen Jackson or Jamaal Tinsley are on your team.

Return to The General Board