Did Golden State really turn down a trade for James Harden?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Sasaki
Veteran
And1: 781

Re: Did Golden State really turn down a trade for James Hard 

Post#61 » by Sasaki » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 pm

So, Cable, what matters to you offensively is a guy's ability to iso and hit the worst shot in basketball above all. Like say, a Rudy Gay, who has been good at that mid-range jumper, is more useful to you in a Finals situation than James Harden.

And let's take your Lebron example. Ignore the Lebron of 2012 or 2013 - Harden isn't anywhere near his level. But what about 2008 or 2009 Lebron? That Lebron isn't a great mid range jumper shooter either? I guess he lost against the Magic because the refs swallowed their whistles, huh? Take Tracy McGrady. The fact that he was a worse 3 point shooter, worse at finishing in contact, and worse overall scorer as a Rocket compared to Harden doesn't really matter because McGrady was marginally better at that shoot with a hand in your face than Harden.

Jesus Christ, what kind of analysis is this, ESPN?
But do you know what they call a fool, who's full of himself and jumps into the path of death because it's cool?
gordito
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#62 » by gordito » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 pm

PetroNet wrote:is that a mistake? klay thompson is younger and on his rookie contract. im not sure its a slam dunk move to trade that for harden on a max deal.

Thompson is all of 5 1/2 months younger than Harden.

In hindsight, even with the max contract, I think GSW does this trade. But with that said, A LOT of people questioned Harden's ability to be the "guy", especially after his Finals performance. So, I can kind of understand why GSW would decline trading away Thompson (and presumably Barnes) to give Harden max money. Don't agree with it, but could definitely understand.
Guy986
RealGM
And1: 647

Post#63 » by Guy986 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 am

CablexDeadpool wrote:
Bay Based wrote:
I don't know. It's not like Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes are studs, either. Even if Harden is overrated, I still could see him making an impact in Golden State.

I wouldn't do a Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes trade.

I mean, I guess that's what they would've wanted and that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much.

I would laugh and put the phone down.

I didn't even think Harrison Barnes would be that good considering seeing him in college he looked like trash because he couldn't dribble at all...like dude couldn't put the ball down and he didn't even look athletic.

But in the NBA will all the spacing, he looks pretty athletic and fluid now.

And Klay Thompson is pretty good, he can really shoot the ball, he can learn how to get to the line and flop his way to some easily points, he is a 25 a game scorer.

Then you would have to think...is it better to have James Harden and Curry and some crappy SF or you rather have Curry, Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes...and cap room in the future to get a David Lee replacement and a PF?

I rather have the cap room Curry Klay and Barnes.

Really you wouldn't do a Banes/Thompson for Harden trade NOW?
*face palm*

GSW fans ladies and Gentlemen. Would you do it for Anthony Randolph?
Crackfool
Bench Warmer
And1: 27

Post#64 » by Crackfool » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:10 am

Funny how people on this board nut-hug players like Carmelo, Kobe, Monta Ellis, and Jamal Crawford, and yet hate on Harden. These players actively kill their team due to their selfishness and their complete incompetence on defense. They'd be more beneficial to their teams if they actively tried to score on their own basket. I guess dumb Knick and Laker fans spread like cockroaches where ever the NBA is discussed.
Senchu
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#65 » by Senchu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:27 am

Guy986 wrote:
CablexDeadpool wrote:I wouldn't do a Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes trade.

I mean, I guess that's what they would've wanted and that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much.

I would laugh and put the phone down.

I didn't even think Harrison Barnes would be that good considering seeing him in college he looked like trash because he couldn't dribble at all...like dude couldn't put the ball down and he didn't even look athletic.

But in the NBA will all the spacing, he looks pretty athletic and fluid now.

And Klay Thompson is pretty good, he can really shoot the ball, he can learn how to get to the line and flop his way to some easily points, he is a 25 a game scorer.

Then you would have to think...is it better to have James Harden and Curry and some crappy SF or you rather have Curry, Klay Thompson and Harrison Barnes...and cap room in the future to get a David Lee replacement and a PF?

I rather have the cap room Curry Klay and Barnes.

*face palm*

So you take SINGLE non-GSW fan's opinion of not trading Barnes/Thompson for Harden and then present it as WHOLE GSW fanbase' opinion? Excellent argument right there!
LGND2552
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#66 » by LGND2552 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:45 am

Nobody knew harden would be THIS good. If they say they did, then they're lying.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#67 » by ratul » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 am

turrible.

Anyone who didn't know harden would be good clearly slept through last season
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#68 » by Young_Star11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:55 am

Harden was offered to Washington too (and Phoenix too?).

Houston was just a great situation for him to land in and the Rockets had enough pieces to get him.

I'm not looking back.
CKRT
Analyst
And1: 404

Post#69 » by CKRT » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:41 am

LGND2552 wrote:Nobody knew harden would be THIS good. If they say they did, then they're lying.

We've had a PC board thread for a year or two now discussing this exact thing.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 2,952

Post#70 » by garrick » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 am

Don't forget PHX also supposedly turned down a trade for Harden too because they either had to give up too many assets or they didn't want to be bogged down with Perkins contract.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,769

Post#71 » by floppymoose » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Wait, I'm supposed to believe this because Bill Simmons said so?
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,704

Post#72 » by AussieBuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Guy986 wrote:
*face palm*

This was you a few months ago. :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Fobbie
Sixth Man
And1: 225

Post#73 » by Fobbie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:58 pm

GS front office would be naive to not do this trade now. Heck back then I would've done the same trade. Too many time team fall in love with rookie "potential" that they rather hold on than trade for an establish player. Anthony Freaken Magic Johnohn Randolph anyone??? LOL. I understand if people think Klay/Barnes was too much, but no need to call a player overrated because he gets to the line a lot.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#74 » by old rem » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:07 pm

whatchaknow wrote:Is it really that big of a mistake though?? I know Harden is better but he was due for a big pay raise and Klay is still on his rookie contract. Plus im sure there were other pieces going out. Also didnt GS have to basically give away two bench players to avoid the luxury? Im sure they would have had to follow up the Harden trade with other trades to get rid of valuable contributors to avoid the lux. Either way Hardens great but it was hard to see him becoming what he is now

All that. I'm not sure GSW ever was serious. GM's talk all the time, rumors fly,and the outcome can be anything.
Klay was coming off a nice rookie year,Harden had not had a "breakout" but had been looking good burt was a guy about to get the $...and,just how much? For sure..GSW would be in for more $. However...they then may have skipped Landry or Jack or both...in effect "losing those" and would it have been just Klay for Harden or Klay + ??

It's part of the GM code that you never discuss the deal that never happened. GSW would not want such a deal to fall through..then have Klay feeling he's trade bait. Sometimes...you get a lot of clues player X is going somewhere. It was no surprise when Melo and Dwight got traded...the questions were the details.
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to The General Board