The Pacers Core (a clinic in how to build without tanking)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Re: The Pacers Core (a clinic in how to build without tankin 

Post#81 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:41 am

DURRR there a treadmill team! Anyone who doesnt tank OKC style is a treadmill team!

^dats all you h8ers in dis thread.
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,185

Post#82 » by Nuntius » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 am

Da-Met wrote:I'm a Pistons fan, and let me tell you, this Pacers team reminds me of the Rick Carlisle and Larry Brown Pistons teams in 03 and 04. They are underrated, dangerous, tough underdogs. I would not be shocked to see these guys upset Miami in one of the next 2 seasons. I think they are better than the Knicks.

That's nice to hear from a Pistons fan :D
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#83 » by Young_Star11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:07 am

Indiana being slept on.

Tough defensive team and a protect home court well.

Done this without Granger all season so far.

Happy to have them #2 in the East right now.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#84 » by winter_mute_13 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:11 am

Da-Met wrote:I'm a Pistons fan, and let me tell you, this Pacers team reminds me of the Rick Carlisle and Larry Brown Pistons teams in 03 and 04. They are underrated, dangerous, tough underdogs. I would not be shocked to see these guys upset Miami in one of the next 2 seasons. I think they are better than the Knicks.

I love the comparisons to the 03-04 Pistons. That is pretty much what we want to achieve. Or even better, the Bad Boys Pistons of the late 80s. I mean, how dare they (Pistons/Pacers) to compete against the NBA's golden boys (Celtics/Heat). The reactions in this thread has that kind of feel to me.
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man

Post#85 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 am

winter_mute_13 wrote:

I love the comparisons to the 03-04 Pistons. That is pretty much what we want to achieve. Or even better, the Bad Boys Pistons of the late 80s. I mean, how dare they (Pistons/Pacers) to compete against the NBA's golden boys (Celtics/Heat). The reactions in this thread has that kind of feel to me.

I think IND has a outside shot at taking the heat. They got the perimeter D and the inside scoring. All tehy need now is to get hot from 3 like the Mavs did. Id actually compare them more to the 11 Mavs then the 04 Pistons. I think the Nuggets with Faried are the new Pistons and are just a rasheed wallace trade away from becoming legit contenders.
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

Preach.
cgg
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#86 » by cgg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 am

DatBoiCapspace wrote:
winter_mute_13 wrote:

I think IND has a outside shot at taking the heat. They got the perimeter D and the inside scoring. All tehy need now is to get hot from 3 like the Mavs did. Id actually compare them more to the 11 Mavs then the 04 Pistons. I think the Nuggets with Faried are the new Pistons and are just a rasheed wallace trade away from becoming legit contenders.

I think you might not know anything about the pistons.
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man

Post#87 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:01 am

Nuggets are balanced like the Pistons and focus on D, just cus they run does not make it a bad comparison its a different era now, was just throwing it out there. In the playoffs I think IND will live and die by their outside shooting against MIA just like the Mavs did. I dont think youre going to simply grind out a tough D series victory against the heat, I think you need to have inside scoring and get hot offensively from the perimeter. Look how they handled the Bulls and OKC in the playoffs. You need to shoot over their D not penetrate like Rose.

Preach.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#88 » by Jajwanda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 am

Indiana has enough guys that can get hot from 3 to do that. Penetrating against Miami can be huge. Ask J.J. Barea.

If D.J. Augustin can come out of the cellar that'd be a big help.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,185

Post#89 » by Nuntius » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 am

DatBoiCapspace wrote:Nuggets are balanced like the Pistons and focus on D, just cus they run does not make it a bad comparison its a different era now, was just throwing it out there.

The Nuggets are ok defensively but they're nowhere close to the Pistons. They are #14 in Defensive Efficiency per teamrankings ( http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/de ... efficiency ) and that metric is not skewed by pace.

Indiana is a better comparison to Detroit simply because both were / are elite defensively.

DatBoiCapspace wrote:In the playoffs I think IND will live and die by their outside shooting against MIA just like the Mavs did. I dont think youre going to simply grind out a tough D series victory against the heat, I think you need to have inside scoring and get hot offensively from the perimeter. Look how they handled the Bulls and OKC in the playoffs. You need to shoot over their D not penetrate like Rose.

Indiana is not a team that lives and dies by the 3. They incorporate the 3 in their offense (they would be stupid not to) but they can win without it. They are #15 in PPG from 3 pointers with 20.6 and #12 in Percentage of Points from 3 pointers with 21.9%.

Here are the links to those metrics -> http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/pe ... 3-pointers
http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/po ... 3-pointers

Indiana wins by defense, utilizing West's mid range game and inside scoring. We don't penetrate a lot like Rose. We pound the ball inside.

Given our size and defense, we can prove to be a formidable matchup for the Heat. Sure, if the 3 goes in then all the better but we don't live and die by it.

Will we need it against the Heat? Of course. We're going to win every available weapon against possibly the best team in the league.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#90 » by franktony » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah they put a very nice team

Props to Larry the legend.

As for George Hill, he is as good as Bledsoe, Bradley and all those combo guards that are getting massive hype.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#91 » by matt6715 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:50 pm

Left Side Drive wrote:Pacers did a great job. Honestly a respectable way to rebuild a team.

This.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#92 » by PetroNet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:03 pm

shouldnt this say:

"a clinic on how to be a treadmill team"?
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#93 » by matt6715 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:14 pm

PetroNet wrote:shouldnt this say:

That treadmill team scares me a lot more than the "star" team Brooklyn put together. The Pistons proved that you can ride balanced scoring, elite D, and some luck to a championship.
XcalibuR
Lead Assistant
And1: 79

Post#94 » by XcalibuR » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:43 pm

No that would involve trading Damian Lillard for Gerald Wallace.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#95 » by PetroNet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm

matt6715 wrote:

That treadmill team scares me a lot more than the "star" team Brooklyn put together. The Pistons proved that you can ride balanced scoring, elite D, and some luck to a championship.

brooklyn isnt a star team... it was a team assmebled to be a playoff lock going into a new city/arena and ensure they arent moving to brooklyn with a loser. the nets arent a good team, and certainly not one built for the playoffs... in fact, the only bigger fraud team then us, is... well the pacers.

pacers offense is absolutely pathetic... you couldnt outscore us starting tyshon taylor and reggie evans. our defense is pathetic and we held you to what, 75 points in 4 quarters and overtime?

complete frauds. i hope we drop to the 6 or 7 seed so we can play you and actually get out of the first round
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#96 » by Nanogeek » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:57 pm

daschysta wrote:Paul George- 10th pick
Roy Hibbert- 17th pick (Pick acquired for the corpse of Jermaine O'Neal)
Danny Granger- 17th pick
Lance Stephenson- 40th pick
David West- Under the radar FA pickup
George Hill- traded for a mid first round pick

------------------------
Orlando Johnson- 36th pick
Ian Mahinmi- 28th pick
Tyler Hansbrough- 13th pick
DJ Augustine- 9th pick
Sam Young - Mid 1st round pick

Maybe I'm missing something but the Pacers have built a decent team but it took them six years to do it. Hardly an impressive feat. They were at or below .500 for 6 years.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#97 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Agree that they are a top notch organization and love the way they have built the team.

I think Indy has the best chance to beat Miami of any Eastern team. They can murder the Heat on the boards.

Compared to the West, OKC and SAS are clearly better, but I'd put them on the same tier as the Clippers and Grizzlies.

Ironically they are a match up I hope the Nets face in the playoffs. We match up well with their style of play and are 2-0 against them (both match ups within the last 5 weeks), though getting Granger back changes things.

One other thing....David West is one of the most underrated players in the league.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#98 » by RaptorNews » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 pm

PetroNet wrote:complete frauds. i hope we drop to the 6 or 7 seed so we can play you and actually get out of the first round

Oh dear Lord
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#99 » by Froob » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:04 pm

I hate david west...he d have a ring if he went to boston.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Knicks2DaHouse
Junior
And1: 100

Post#100 » by Knicks2DaHouse » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:12 pm

RaptorNews wrote:
PetroNet wrote:complete frauds. i hope we drop to the 6 or 7 seed so we can play you and actually get out of the first round

Oh dear Lord

:rofl: :rofl:
On Krylyo Fesenko:

k-lynch20 "Excited about this, I like his game and serviceable bigs are very hard to come by."

Rj1790 "love this pickup! Its been a while since the Warriors had 3 official centers."

Return to The General Board