ImageImageImageImageImage

Hatred Against Our Players Has To Stop (Bargnani Situation)

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

hillbilly hare
Veteran
And1: 219

Re: Hatred Against Our Players Has To Stop (Bargnani Situati 

Post#181 » by hillbilly hare » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 am

Indeed wrote:I think Bargnani is going to be traded, but the boo is making Toronto a classless city. I am not sure if players want to sign here.

Agree to a certain extent with the first part, though I wouldn't go as far as to say "classless". The second is baseless. And the word "hate" is, once again on this board, out of place.

There are lots of reasons to boo a player, and the fans of storied sports cities like NY and Philly are FAMOUS for booing and heckling their own players who don't live up to expectations. And they don't seem to have trouble signing players.

There may be different reasons why Andrea is booed, but I think a perceived lack of effort and toughness by a guy earning 10M a year is enough to frustrate fans earning less than 1% of Andrea's salary, yet who pay a lot of money for tickets to see guys play professionally. And I do consider all-out effort and devotion to winning "playing professionally".

Unfortunately I think Andrea's mindset is not the type that rises to the challenge of being booed, i.e. "I'll show them!", so in that sense he will probably wilt. Which addresses the more practical question of raising his trade value. Booing him might impact his play and thus lower his trade value, but it's hard to ask fans to take such mercenary things into consideration when their passions flare.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#182 » by JYD » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 am

DatBoiCapspace wrote:I want Bargs gone. Booing him makes him play worse. So im going to boo him so he plays worse which will make his trade value even worse then it already is, thus making it harder to see Bargs gone. Logic FTL..

His trade value can't get worse, and it won't get better. If you think it's possible that it will, you're on the BC bud.

The only way Bargs gets traded is for a crap player on a worse contract. Do you like Tyrus Thomas at 8-9 mil each year for 3 more years, for example?

If not, we're better off using the amnesty, shaving 10 mil off our cap, and picking the player we want to replace Bargs with using MLE money.
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#183 » by Boogie! » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:01 am

i also wanted to point out that it's funny how these threads started popping up ONLY after lowry said something. god people really are just sheep.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#184 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am

Wham! wrote:
DatBoiCapspace wrote:I want Bargs gone. Booing him makes him play worse. So im going to boo him so he plays worse which will make his trade value even worse then it already is, thus making it harder to see Bargs gone. Logic FTL..

His trade value can't get worse, and it won't get better. If you think it's possible that it will, you're on the BC bud.

The only way Bargs gets traded is for a crap player on a worse contract. Do you like Tyrus Thomas at 8-9 mil each year for 3 more years, for example?

If not, we're better off using the amnesty, shaving 10 mil off our cap, and picking the player we want to replace Bargs with using MLE money.

It is getting worse by each game he plays at home, and even worse its affecting both his play and bugging our team. If you dont believe that then youre on the haterade.

Amnsety solves nothing, MLSE would still have to pay him. Only point of amnestying bargs if were about to make a move to get deep into lux tax territory. Otherwise its not your money and it creates no capspace so stop caring about what he makes.
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,417

Post#185 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 am

The List is Gold-er.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#186 » by Danny1616 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-zK5gmSeWI[/youtube]

Go to 2:24

I really don't understand what the problem is with boo'ing Bargs.

Steve Nash in his first year in Dallas was apparently boo'd everytime he touched the ball at one point of the season because he was underperforming. However, Nash didn't have the mental toughness of a three old like Bargnani.

Bargs took seven long years of crap before we started boo'ing.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,351

Post#187 » by Hero » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:26 am

It's not hatred against our players. It's just booing ONE player. Big difference.
BIG match
Banned User
And1: 144

Post#188 » by BIG match » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:43 am

Toronto sports fans have the right to boo any of their teams. We continue to fill stadiums of losing teams while owners exploit that fact.
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#189 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 am

BIG match wrote:Toronto sports fans have the right to boo any of their teams. We continue to fill stadiums of losing teams while owners exploit that fact.

Yea cept when we were a losing team we didnt boo him. And now that were winning were booing him. Great message to send to owners lol
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Post#190 » by DHK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 am

Boogie! wrote:i also wanted to point out that it's funny how these threads started popping up ONLY after lowry said something. god people really are just sheep.

Untrue, from my understanding there was two threads prior to the Lowry comment.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 am

DHK wrote:
Boogie! wrote:i also wanted to point out that it's funny how these threads started popping up ONLY after lowry said something. god people really are just sheep.

Untrue, from my understanding there was two threads prior to the Lowry comment.

Additionally, the whole 'if you have nothing nice to say, keep silent' mantra is raised in varying forms about once or twice a week since forever.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,746
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#192 » by Boogie! » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:04 am

Danny1616 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-zK5gmSeWI[/youtube]

Steve Nash in his first year in Dallas was apparently boo'd everytime he touched the ball at one point of the season because he was underperforming. However, Nash didn't have the mental toughness of a three old like Bargnani.

steve nash is the point guard. he HAS to have the ball at all times. it's different when you barely touch the ball, and the rare time you do, you're put in a position to fail.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
DHK
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,273

Post#193 » by DHK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:08 am

Danny1616 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-zK5gmSeWI[/youtube]

I do not have video tapes of the mavs era back then but I'm pretty sure nobody was jeering Nash as he was entering the game, cheering as he was exiting to the extent bargs is getting but what Nash received from the Dallas fans is also quite classless
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:09 am

The Eternal Victim.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#195 » by RaptorNews » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 am

Harry Palmer wrote:The Eternal Victim.

Thats my favourite tarot card
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:22 am

RaptorNews wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:The Eternal Victim.

Thats my favourite tarot card

It used to be Bargs' card, before society stole it from him while he was tending to wounded puppies.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,915

Post#197 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:32 pm

I try not to care enough to boo individual players. Obviously I don't want loafers, but it's more fun to cheer and celebrate and that's what I want the most out of my experience. Picking on one guy repeatedly seems mean-spirited and overtly obsessive.
JoeyGsShoulders
Junior
And1: 47

Post#198 » by JoeyGsShoulders » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Booing your own player makes no sense, not when there's another 5-12 guys playing that you should boo more.

Anyways, the argument that he makes millions of dollars is irrelevant. Why is it okay to be a worse person just because the other guy is rich? Honestly, it's a game to us but it's his life. It's his job that he has to show up every day for and that he has to think about when he's not working and that he has to train for. Be a decent person and let the guy not dread coming to work.
orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,275

Post#199 » by orbesnet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Indeed wrote:I think Bargnani is going to be traded, but the boo is making Toronto a classless city. I am not sure if players want to sign here.

I disagree, if AB was on any other team:
- was shoved down the fan-base's throat as hard as he's been shoved down raptors' fans throats
- shows no urgency or passion on the court
- plays as if he's a rookie after 7 years
- continues to get minutes

He would be booed anywhere. Personally I wouldn't boo him 'cause that's kind of weird, this board doesn't make up much of those in attendance at the game so it's not just us!
Pascal to the future.
kirkwood
Starter
And1: 1,713

Post#200 » by kirkwood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:54 pm

I think its an embarrasment, the team is currently winning and making a push for the 8th spot. This is not only affecting Bargnani but its affecting the entire team, evident by the fact almost all his teammates are constantly bringing this up before and after every game, asking the fans to stop.

I can understand booing a player that makes some bone headed plays during a game, boo those specific plays but booing when he enters the game and leaves the game or touches the ball is ridiculous. Its not like this guy got up and demanded a trade and told you all Toronto sucks. You shouldn't boo players based on what kind of money they make either, its not your money and this is the NBA where 100% of the players are millionaires...

I watch the guy right now and not once has he complained about anything, not the boo's, not the city, not the team, not his new role coming off the bench, not the fact he gets about two shots per game now versus 20 before. Put basketball aside for a minute and give the man a break.

You don't have to like the guy, you don't have to cheer for him during games but to stand up and boo every chance you get is an embarrassment to sports in this city. I also have no doubt those booing are all on this message board.

Return to Toronto Raptors