MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Re: Offseason Plan (Post Deadline) 

Post#21 » by MrBigShot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:35 am

Mr. Krabs wrote:NO to Monta.

Second that no.

@Jared: The questions are...

1. Why would JSmoove want to come play here and play out of position? We aren't exactly an attractive FA destination.
2. Would we be willing to give him a max contract? He will demand one.

I would love to sign Iggy, but I think he's best suited as a three. Perhaps we can get an SG from the draft to fill that. I'm still not sold on Knight on SG unless we get the second coming of Penny Hardaway to play alongside him.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ocellatus921
Junior
And1: 14

Post#22 » by ocellatus921 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 am

c-dot wrote:I wonder if OKC is looking to sell their TOR pick, Joe might wanna use some cap room lowering their cap burden and acquiring their young guys. They are in the lux tax bracket so everything basically costs them double.

I'd take Perkins off their hand if they include the Raptors 1st round pick.
Sign Tony Allen, J.J. Hickson, Bynum

Then we could draft Victor Oladipo and Otto Porter.

Calderon/Knight/Bynum
Allen/Oladipo/English
Singler/Porter/Middleton
Monroe/Hickson/CV
Drummond/Krav/Perkins
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#23 » by Warspite » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Goldtop wrote:My expectation is we will try to resign Calderon for $7 mil/yr, maybe go after another FA in the 7-8 mil/yr price range (perhaps Tyreke Evans), and then either sit on the remaining 10-15 mil or so and try and get 1 big acquisition via trade in the 10-15 mil/yr price range, or offer it to Josh Smith.

If we come away from the off-season with a starting lineup like this I'd be ecstatic. Without a doubt we'd have the best frontcourt in the league with Dre/Moose/Smith, and an excellent backcourt as well.

Calderon
Evans
Smith
Monroe
Drummond

CBA has a min salary restriction. gotta spend 80% of the cap.

I have no idea what Joes plan is but mine would look something like

Let all FAs walk

1. Draft Shabazz (yeah I think he will drop like a rock just like Drummond)
2. FAs Aminu, Harris, Milsap,
3. Trade Stuckey for a shooter.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
jaredtyshaf
Junior
And1: 33

Post#24 » by jaredtyshaf » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:24 pm

MrBigShot wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:NO to Monta.

Second that no.

@Jared: The questions are...

1. Why would JSmoove want to come play here and play out of position? We aren't exactly an attractive FA destination.
2. Would we be willing to give him a max contract? He will demand one.

I would love to sign Iggy, but I think he's best suited as a three. Perhaps we can get an SG from the draft to fill that. I'm still not sold on Knight on SG unless we get the second coming of Penny Hardaway to play alongside him.

Yeah I doubt we get Smoove, but as stated that is my IDEAL offseason not what is realistic.

Realistic off season would be...

1. Amnesty CV31, release Stuck if we can't trade him and let the rest of our expirings walk.

2. Draft wing in the lottery (Mac, Olapido, Otto or Bazz)

3. Sign Iggy and resign Jose. Also sign big man depth Millsap if possible.

PG: Knight/Jose
SG: Rook/Knight
SF: Iggy/Singler/Rook
PF: Moose/Millsap
C: Dre/Moose/Krav

That is a very solid line up for sure.
What Up Doe
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#25 » by What Up Doe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Joe D's Job is on the line. If we don't make the playoffs next year, he's toast.

The only good Free Agents are Josh Smith Tyreke Evans and Monta Ellis.

Tyreke is a Restricted FA, and when has Joe went after a Restricted FA ?

So it's either going to be Smith or Monta

Next Years lineup will either be

Drummond
Monroe
Smith
Knight
Calderon

or

Drummond
Monroe
Singler
Monta
Calderon
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#26 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:56 pm

My plan:

Trade Monroe for Cousins

Try to trade up in the draft to get McLemore or Shabazz -- (use expirings of Stuckey and/or CV to take on salary to move up). If we cannot, take Oladipo in the lottery.

Sign cheap, YOUNG free agents who I hope to have bust out while here. I would rather have 3 guys for just a part of our cap space over 1-2 guys for all of it:

Sign FA SF Aminu (Iggy as my backup option)
Sign FA PF Earl Clark (Hickson as my backup option)
Sign FA SG Xavier Henry (Tony Allen as my backup option)
Sign FA PG Jack to backup Knight (as he will be more accepting to backup role than Calderon, and cheaper -- Augustine as my backup option)

Knight / Jack
LOTTO / Henry / English
Aminu / Singler / Middleton
Cousins / Clark / 2nd rounder
Drummond / Cousins / Kravtsov
Jodi
Banned User
And1: 52

Post#27 » by Jodi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:58 pm

What Up Doe wrote:Joe D's Job is on the line. If we don't make the playoffs next year, he's toast.

The only good Free Agents are Josh Smith Tyreke Evans and Monta Ellis.

Tyreke is a Restricted FA, and when has Joe went after a Restricted FA ?

So it's either going to be Smith or Monta

Next Years lineup will either be

Drummond
Monroe
Smith
Knight
Calderon

or

Drummond
Monroe
Singler
Monta
Calderon

Wait...I thought you said you know about basketball?.. You should know that any starting line-up with non-defensive Singler in it is not competitive or not respectable...Come on "What Up Doe", I expected better from you...
Drummond4Prez
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Drummond4Prez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:34 am

my offseason plan would be to look for trading partners. who said we have to sign any key free agents? id sign a guy like tony allen over monta ellis all day. if im joe im trying to help build the team not take away with what we have going
What Up Doe
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#29 » by What Up Doe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 am

Drummond4Prez wrote:my offseason plan would be to look for trading partners. who said we have to sign any key free agents? id sign a guy like tony allen over monta ellis all day. if im joe im trying to help build the team not take away with what we have going

We have no attractive trade assets. You idiot !
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#30 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:57 am

What Up Doe wrote:
Drummond4Prez wrote:my offseason plan would be to look for trading partners. who said we have to sign any key free agents? id sign a guy like tony allen over monta ellis all day. if im joe im trying to help build the team not take away with what we have going

While the namecalling probably wasn't necessary, you are correct in that we don't have any assets we are willing to give up other than capspace.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#31 » by Piston Pete » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:17 am

c-dot wrote:I wonder if OKC is looking to sell their TOR pick, Joe might wanna use some cap room lowering their cap burden and acquiring their young guys. They are in the lux tax bracket so everything basically costs them double.

If OKC is gonna sell a pick, it will be their own (the late 1st) for up to $3 mil.

I don't think a CV (expiring) for Perkins deal will be nearly enough to get a lottery pick from them, or anyone.
ocellatus921
Junior
And1: 14

Post#32 » by ocellatus921 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 am

Piston Pete wrote:

If OKC is gonna sell a pick, it will be their own (the late 1st) for up to $3 mil.

I don't think a CV (expiring) for Perkins deal will be nearly enough to get a lottery pick from them, or anyone.

I'd cap space for Perkins and TOR's 1st. I then would draft Porter & Oladipo.
Drummond4Prez
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#33 » by Drummond4Prez » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:
What Up Doe wrote:

While the namecalling probably wasn't necessary, you are correct in that we don't have any assets we are willing to give up other than capspace.

alot of scum bags say alot of things on the internet, so nbd.. but anyways we have capspace like no other and even tho their not the sexiest guys on the market stuckey and jerebko might be intriguing to other teams
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#34 » by Pharaoh » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Considering the name calling this little nugget of information in relation to the Luxury Tax might come in handy:

The Lakers' payroll is slightly more than $100 million this season and will probably be in that same range next season if Howard re-signs in the offseason.

This is the last season of a dollar-for-dollar penalty for teams over the luxury tax limit ($70.307 million this season). Beginning next season, the luxury tax starts at $1.50 per dollar and escalates for every $5 million a team is over.

If the Lakers are $30 million over, their luxury tax bill would be a whopping $85 million next season.

If L.A. trims the payroll down to $20 million over the tax, the Lakers still would get hit with a $45 million bill. And they'd be subject to the even heavier repeater rate in 2014-15, although Steve Nash's $9.7 million salary is the only contract on the Lakers' books for that year right now.

Next season is the Lakers' last chance to amnesty a player, and Bryant is one of four players the Lakers can do it to. The others are Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace and Steve Blake. If the Lakers waive any one of those players this summer, they would not have to pay luxury taxes on their salaries, but they would still have to pay that player's salary.

So yeah, having nothing but cap space can be a HUGE asset since most teams over the luxury tax will want to get under the threshold... and the only way to do that is to shed salary.

Granted, some teams might not mind being over the threshold... but consider that most teams balked at paying $1 for every $1 they were over the tax... now it's going to be $1.50 for every $1!

How many teams do you think will be willing to pay the luxury tax now?
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#35 » by Piston Pete » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Piston Pete wrote:My plan:

Trade Monroe for Cousins

Try to trade up in the draft to get McLemore or Shabazz -- (use expirings of Stuckey and/or CV to take on salary to move up). If we cannot, take Oladipo in the lottery.

Sign cheap, YOUNG free agents who I hope to have bust out while here. I would rather have 3 guys for just a part of our cap space over 1-2 guys for all of it:

Sign FA PG Jack to backup Knight (as he will be more accepting to backup role than Calderon, and cheaper -- Augustine as my backup option)

Knight / Jack
LOTTO / Henry / English

Current ages of these guys:

Knight - 21
Jack - 29
Henry - 21
English - 24
Aminu - 22
Singler - 24
Middleton - 21
Cousins - 22
Clark - 25
Drummond - 19
Kravtsov - 25
LOTTERY PICK = 19ish

Very talented, deep, and VERY young team there!
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#36 » by Sheeeeed » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Monroe or Cousins, spacing is going to be a huge problem if Aminu is the starting 3.
Piston Pete
RealGM

Post#37 » by Piston Pete » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Not with Knight and the lottery pick outside keeping the D honest. Cousins is way more comfortable in the high post than Monroe.

Imagine this from our starting 5:

Cousins working the high post where he can score or pass down low to Drummond - or back out to Knight or the lottery pick - or to a Aminu cutting to the basket for a easy jam.

Or Drummond working the P&R up top with Knight. Drummond rolls and get the alley-oop. Or Knight gets wide for the easy elbow jumper. Or Drummond takes guys with him leaving lottery pick, Aminu, or Cousins wide open.
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#38 » by russkopp » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:24 pm

IF Monroe goes, Dumars is gonna move him for the perfect compliment to Drummond and that is not Cousins. Not a good enough mid range game and if things go bad, especially Cousins' brain, Dumars will lose his job. I could see Moose and another talented piece (Singler or Knight or draft pick) going out for the type of talent Dre needs around him. There is an unhappy K Love out there, Monroe + talent + filler gets him.
Fire Troy Weaver
menten
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#39 » by menten » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:My plan:

Trade Monroe for Cousins

Knight / Jack
LOTTO / Henry / English

Current ages of these guys:

Knight - 21
Jack - 29
Henry - 21
English - 24
Aminu - 22
Singler - 24
Middleton - 21
Cousins - 22
Clark - 25
Drummond - 19
Kravtsov - 25
LOTTERY PICK = 19ish

Very talented, deep, and VERY young team there!
henry, aminu and clark ?
why? those guys suck and dont have that much upside
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#40 » by Sheeeeed » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:41 pm

I wouldn't expect Knight and this draft pick guy to keep anyone honest without another reliable jump shooter. Its better said than done. Only way I can see Aminu working on this team is if he comes off the bench, or Monroe gets traded for a stretch 4. Cousins get severely overrated on this board, I wouldn't trade Monroe for him.

Return to Detroit Pistons