ImageImageImageImageImage

Hatred Against Our Players Has To Stop (Bargnani Situation)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Re: Hatred Against Our Players Has To Stop (Bargnani Situati 

Post#201 » by YogiStewart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:10 pm

"Boo" is a 3 letter word that, to me, epitomizes those who don't have the acumen to properly communicate their thoughts or feelings. probably 2 steps above what Neanderthals would do to show their displeasure.

"we paid tickets, therefore we have the right to boo!" - words by fans who haven't been to a home game in years.

but let's go with that argument. you pay, therefore it is your right.

so you visit your dentist. the hygienist does her work on your mouth. she's done and you're not satisfied. this isn't the first time that you didn't like the work she did. you pay for your cleaning and, once you are done, you start to boo her. relentlessly. right there, in her work place. "BOOOOOO! YOU SUCK!" you yell.

you go for dinner. order a burger. you don't like it. quite disappointed with it. so you pay your bill, walk into the kitchen and start booing the staff.

in those above cases, if you did that, you would be considered a lunatic.

hell, let's keep it at entertainment. you go see a band. they don't perform the songs you want to hear. one of their guitars is out of tune. they aren't as tight as other bands have been. do you start booing? what if the lead singer is just getting over a throat infection and his voice isn't up to snuff? boo him as well for being 1 week into his tour and not sounding like he did on last year's CD release?

just because you pay for the price of admission, it doesn't give you the Nexus pass to be a jackass. guess that guy who ran on the court last night also had the right because he paid his price for admission, right?

i'm not going to stop the guy to my left from booing. he's not going to stop me from taking a crap in my pants if i want to do that. but ask yourself: would Portland fans - considered to be the class of the NBA - boo Oden during one of his many comeback attempts? you know that the answer is no. so just let the guy be.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#202 » by dagger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:22 pm

YogiStewart wrote:just because you pay for the price of admission, it doesn't give you the Nexus pass to be a jackass. guess that guy who ran on the court last night also had the right because he paid his price for admission, right?

i'm not going to stop the guy to my left from booing. he's not going to stop me from taking a crap in my pants if i want to do that. but ask yourself: would Portland fans - considered to be the class of the NBA - boo Oden during one of his many comeback attempts? you know that the answer is no. so just let the guy be.

I love the Nexus pass reference, but I think it "flew" over the heads of most posters here.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM

Post#203 » by dagger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 pm

kirkwood wrote:You shouldn't boo players based on what kind of money they make either, its not your money and this is the NBA where 100% of the players are millionaires...

It's funny, but 90% of his detractors bring up his salary, and yet many of them keep saying MLSE should spend on luxury tax... "It's not my money, yadda, yadda". Well, if it isn't your money, and it isn't, then maybe it's irrelevant because even if his salary were a lot less, it wouldn't give us any cap space this coming summer. Really, it's weak sauce.
Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#204 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 pm

YogiStewart wrote:"Boo" is a 3 letter word that, to me, epitomizes those who don't have the acumen to properly communicate their thoughts or feelings. probably 2 steps above what Neanderthals would do to show their displeasure.

"we paid tickets, therefore we have the right to boo!" - words by fans who haven't been to a home game in years.

but let's go with that argument. you pay, therefore it is your right.

so you visit your dentist. the hygienist does her work on your mouth. she's done and you're not satisfied. this isn't the first time that you didn't like the work she did. you pay for your cleaning and, once you are done, you start to boo her. relentlessly. right there, in her work place. "BOOOOOO! YOU SUCK!" you yell.

you go for dinner. order a burger. you don't like it. quite disappointed with it. so you pay your bill, walk into the kitchen and start booing the staff.

in those above cases, if you did that, you would be considered a lunatic.

hell, let's keep it at entertainment. you go see a band. they don't perform the songs you want to hear. one of their guitars is out of tune. they aren't as tight as other bands have been. do you start booing? what if the lead singer is just getting over a throat infection and his voice isn't up to snuff? boo him as well for being 1 week into his tour and not sounding like he did on last year's CD release?

just because you pay for the price of admission, it doesn't give you the Nexus pass to be a jackass. guess that guy who ran on the court last night also had the right because he paid his price for admission, right?

We are about to reach an all-time logic low in this thread.

I can assure you that if the hundreds of people who deemed it appropriate to boo Bargnani had the opportunity to express themselves individually -As in the examples you cite- to Andrea or Bryan Colangelo, they wouldn't boo, they would talk. Just as you would talk to your waiter to express your dissatisfaction with your burger.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#205 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:37 pm

dagger wrote:
kirkwood wrote:You shouldn't boo players based on what kind of money they make either, its not your money and this is the NBA where 100% of the players are millionaires...

It's funny, but 90% of his detractors bring up his salary, and yet many of them keep saying MLSE should spend on luxury tax... "It's not my money, yadda, yadda". Well, if it isn't your money, and it isn't, then maybe it's irrelevant because even if his salary were a lot less, it wouldn't give us any cap space this coming summer. Really, it's weak sauce.

Except "It's not my money, yadda, yadda" is the justification being put forth for our history of overpaying players.
dagger
RealGM

Post#206 » by dagger » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:
dagger wrote:

Except "It's not my money, yadda, yadda" is the justification being put forth for our history of overpaying players.

But that's on management, not the guys getting paid. Why not boo Fields if it's all about money?
name_discrep
Junior
And1: 10

Post#207 » by name_discrep » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:40 pm

The best is ppl continuing to be on the guy now that he's coming off the bench as all the detractors wished for. Except now instead of there not being enough shots on the first unit he's getting the leftovers from Lucas and Anderson who only pass when every opp to shoot has been exhausted. Bargnani isn't helping himself by coasting, but at same point what exactly is expected of him right now? He gets booed before he even gets into games so its not even based on play.

The booing would stop if he had a breakout game, but thats never going to happen with Lucas and Anderson jacking up every touch so this is likely going to get even worse. Which is pathetic since fans should be focused on fact team is playing great, not getting excited about dumping on a guy.
hillbilly hare
Veteran
And1: 219

Post#208 » by hillbilly hare » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:42 pm

^^^ No green font?

The band analogy is pretty funny. Actually, yeah, I think I would want to boo if I paid a ton for a concert and got cheated. If we're to consider entertainment a business, and performances a product, then what we're dealing with is Fraud. Or at the very least, deceptive marketing. The singer has a sore throat? That should've been stated before the concert. If that happens in an opera, for instance, they have an understudy ready to step in, and if bad luck strikes twice and the understudy can't perform, refunds are given.

As to individual performers, seeing as we're talking about Andrea and not the whole team, it's happened lots of times that an opera singer, usually a star, can't hit the high note and gets heckled and booed (whistled at, in Europe). That's a pretty surreal experience, when you're surrounded by rich women in furs and guys in tuxes, and all of a sudden the Neanderthals start ragging on the fat lady on stage. And the funny thing is, that the people up in the cheap seat are known as the real experts on opera, know what is and what isn't a good performance, and demand the highest performance from the singers.

If I go to a restaurant and get a crap meal, in a certain sense I "boo" when I demand to see the manager, make my complaints, sometimes heatedly, and then refuse to pay.

Movies? The South Park episode comes to mind, when Kyle demanded his money back after walking out on The Passion. Don't know if Andrea would pull a Mel Gibson and come after me though, screaming obscenities in ancient tongues.

Could we expect as much from the Raptors? Seriously, should we be able to ask for a refund if the product, advertised as professional basketball, doesn't meet that standard? Or Andrea, like the opera singer, shouldn't get heckled and booed? Being Italian, he should understand.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by YogiStewart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 pm

dagger wrote:
But that's on management, not the guys getting paid. Why not boo Fields if it's all about money?

i just came up with a great way for MLSE to make more money
in the game programs, print each player's contract beside their name. also include stats, like "dollars made per bucket", "dollars made per minutes on the floor", etc.
that way, those fans that are semi-literate can save time and pinpoint which players they should boo.
DatBoiCapspace
Sixth Man
And1: 160

Post#210 » by DatBoiCapspace » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:52 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
dagger wrote:

i just came up with a great way for MLSE to make more money
in the game programs, print each player's contract beside their name. also include stats, like "dollars made per bucket", "dollars made per minutes on the floor", etc.
that way, those fans that are semi-literate can save time and pinpoint which players they should boo.

Dont be so hard on the "fans" here. This way of thinking which has warped a whole generation of basketball fans is mostly due to Bloggers and sites like RealGM. We are part of the problem! "Jose Calderon for Rudy Gay? What a terrible trade! this will ruin our capspace!" :roll:
"I've never seen a sports market appreciate cap space more than Toronto. Cap space is like a human being to us" - Sid Seixeiro

"Cap space can't rebound, it can't make shots"- Paul Jones

Preach.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#211 » by YogiStewart » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:52 pm

hillbilly hare wrote:
If I go to a restaurant and get a crap meal, in a certain sense I "boo" when I demand to see the manager, make my complaints, sometimes heatedly, and then refuse to pay.

wow. refuse to pay...
as someone who is very involved in Toronto's food and drink scene, if i saw you pulling the shenanigans you're describing, i would automatically side with the restauranteur, not you. those who demand something should never get what they demand. those who politely request and look for resolution should hopefully have their problems addressed. mistakes can happen and everyone has an off night. it is how one addresses the off night - that is what's important. a restaurant should comp your meal. you should not demand to be comped. and if Andrea is dogging it, he should address it an apologize. we should not be booing him and demanding an apology (or his head)

Could we expect as much from the Raptors? Seriously, should we be able to ask for a refund if the product, advertised as professional basketball, doesn't meet that standard? Or Andrea, like the opera singer, shouldn't get heckled and booed? Being Italian, he should understand.

ah yes, being Italian, he should understand. and perhaps we should start to cheer for Jonas in a way that "his people" would understand? same with Gay and Lowry, I guess? come one, dude...

and if you want sporting events to work where you can demand a refund based on a player or team's outcome, then you really are nuts. maybe demand refunds if you don't like how a movie ends. demand a refund from Wonderland because there wasn't enough excitement or "wonder". demand a refund on part of your wedding expenses from your wife's family because you didn't dig how she banged you last night. if you want, i can insert more ridiculous examples. but you paid to go to an entertainment event. if you were not entertained, you don't go again. but the term "caveat emptor" applies appropriately to one who buys a ducat to a sporting event. you are not guaranteed to be entertained. you are not guaranteed to see a win. it is the lottery ticket of entertainment. and you most certainly don't boo the Lotto 6/49 attendant when you pay good money to win $15 million and your ticket doesn't win, do you?
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#212 » by 5DOM » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:52 pm

I think we should boo Quincy Acy because he's getting paid close to 7 digit figure for sitting on the bench. BOOOO
Too Late Crew
Head Coach
And1: 750

Post#213 » by Too Late Crew » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:54 pm

dagger wrote:

Not true

His salary does matter.

Yes the team may indicate they will go into the tax. Let's see what happens when it actually comes to to do itIf they will actually go into the tax let's see how they feel about having to pay a guy essentially 12 Million dollars plus to get him for the MLE. Yes that's what happens when you are over the tax that guy you wanted to sign to the 6 million dollar MLE now costs you 12M because of tax.

Outside of the tax implications its not unreasonable to expect production for your $. Be that production in return for the lost opportunity cost that Bargs salary represents or production for the $ you spend on a ticket to the game. At this point he is being paid 10M fans are paying 100s of dollars to go watch him come into the season out of shape, play poorly and frankly not appear to give much effort.

I personally wouldn't continue to boo him every single game just to boo him. But I think that the boos are only partly directed at Bargs. When he came back after the trade deadline The boos are directed at BC for his continued horrible management of this team and Bargs.

The Bargs fanboys love to defend him with the "its not his fault" line. Yet in large part Bargs is the one who controls if he's booed or not. We've seen it in the past with other players. If he came out and dove on the floor or crashed the boards the boos would either stop or subside. Its obvious that he's no longer wanted here. Its obvious he no longer wants to BE here. But its still your job and you have to at least try.

Jose was gone..traded for Chandler. There is no clearer signal that you don't have a future with this team yet the guy came back and gave effort even while everyone knew he was on his way out next good chance. Being on the trade block is not a get out of jail free card to just stop trying.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#214 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:55 pm

dagger wrote:But that's on management, not the guys getting paid. Why not boo Fields if it's all about money?

Because it's not all about money. There are a number of factors involved. We've been building towards this day with Bargnani for a long time now. And frankly i believe it's more Bryan Colangelo's doing than Andrea's.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#215 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:56 pm

5DOM wrote:I think we should boo Quincy Acy because he's getting paid close to 7 digit figure for sitting on the bench. BOOOO

You know, we could be dissecting the Fulham-Stoke game right now. :D
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#216 » by Oakville_Raptor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:59 pm

I think Toronto sports fans are the worst of any teams fans in North America.

Thank God that i'm not a fan of the Leafs.
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#217 » by Ted Lasso » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Oakville_Raptor wrote:I think Toronto sports fans are the worst of any teams fans in North America.

Steve Kerr‏@SteveKerrTNT

If there are two fan bases that deserve a winner, I'll go with Golden State and Toronto. Rowdy crowds every night- even during lean times
Oakville_Raptor
Head Coach
And1: 3,771

Post#218 » by Oakville_Raptor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Chandler Bing wrote:
Oakville_Raptor wrote:I think Toronto sports fans are the worst of any teams fans in North America.

Steve Kerr‏@SteveKerrTNT

If there are two fan bases that deserve a winner, I'll go with Golden State and Toronto. Rowdy crowds every night- even during lean times

I meant by the way they treat the players on their teams. No player would ever want to sign with a team where their own fans boo the hell out of a player on the team.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,931

Post#219 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:32 pm

It's kicking a dog when he's down and that reflects poorly on the character of those who choose to boo. Doesn't upset me all that much, but I hope for the team to win so I'm gonna side with the guys that will ignore the loafer and just support what's going well. We should NOT take cues from Knick fans' :lol:

I don't think, long-term, that emo fans move the needle on whether players want to play here or not. They want money and wins and weather and big city livin'. Supportive fans are likely way down on the list.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#220 » by Volcano » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:37 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
hillbilly hare wrote:

wow. refuse to pay...
as someone who is very involved in Toronto's food and drink scene, if i saw you pulling the shenanigans you're describing, i would automatically side with the restauranteur, not you. those who demand something should never get what they demand. those who politely request and look for resolution should hopefully have their problems addressed. mistakes can happen and everyone has an off night. it is how one addresses the off night - that is what's important. a restaurant should comp your meal. you should not demand to be comped. and if Andrea is dogging it, he should address it an apologize. we should not be booing him and demanding an apology (or his head)

a better analogy would be:

There's only one restaurant in town and it's a pay-after-you-order type of joint. You enjoy dining out with friends and family once in a while, so you go there as a loyal customer despite it not being the greatest. The manager advertises one of his 7-foot waiters, lets say his name was Bargnacle, as the best in the business and gives him more tables than any other waiter.

Now Bargnacle is good at writing down orders, but it never seems to make its way back to the kitchen. One time, you're waiting 1/2 hour for a glass of water to come, but it never does, so you get up to go and look for him. You find Bargnacle outside smoking pot in the back alley, so you politely ask him to get you some water. He grunts in acknowledgement.

Another 1/2 hour passed and your patience is wearing thin..there's no food or water on the table. You approach Bargnacle again and he says he must have lost the tab while he was smoking. Now you're a little snappy and get him to take down your order again..reminding him that you need some water. 1/2 hour later you get your water..you take a sip and find out it's toilet water! Enraged, you start yelling at Bargnacle.

Nearby customers shake their heads in disgust. When they ask you what the problem is, you tell them everything. But they feel that yelling is uncivilized and tell you that if you were more nurturing, then maybe Bargnacle would be better at his job..after all, how many 7-foot waiters are there? It's probably his manager's fault for not giving him a better structure on how he should wait tables.

You still love the restaurant, but you don't want Bargnacle serving you. Every time you see Bargnacle approaching your table, you yell out, "NO NO NO". Another waiter, Lowery, pleads for you not to yell NO at Bargnacle. Other customers chastise you for yelling NO at Bargnacle. So you sit at your table, alone and misunderstood. All this time...all you wanted was a tall glass of water.

(btw, I don't condone booing Bargs)

Return to Toronto Raptors