ImageImageImageImageImage

Growing Pains/ The Bright Side (of the Spurs Loss)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Growing Pains/ The Bright Side (of the Spurs Loss) 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:57 pm

where were you exactly 730 days ago?
I'll tell you where exactly.
Happy Blake Griffin was slamming on everybody. Eric Gordon was probably your favorite Clipper because he was turning into one good defender and scorer....remarkable at his size.

you thought...wow, too bad we got off to a crap start...we'll be ready next year for a playoff push.
and I'm guessing you thought the 7th or 8th seed would have been one small step for the Clippers, one huge step for Clipper-kind (ha ha ha...im funny)

then the Lakers offered NOLA a crappy deal.
Oshey put together an awesome one

getting the point:
The Spurs are our nemesis.
they are our hump...wat Detroit was to MJ...Celtics to LBJ.
I am grateful to have a nemesis/ a team that sets a standard for us
I am grateful to have them b****slap us and show us that there is another level we need to get to.

last night hurt like hell. i promptly went to Bar Review n got drunk n whined about the loss.
i don't take moral victories.
but i am grateful for how bitter this loss makes me....and how bitter it should make our team.
so bitter that us as fans, the coaches and players on the team can do NOTHING but look inward and say:

"it's time to get better"
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
BlackBerry
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Growing Pains/ The Bright Side (of the Spurs Loss) 

Post#2 » by BlackBerry » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Heat fan here. I come in peace.

Yesterday's game was showed a few of flaws in the Clippers recent success. However it's only a regular season game and Clippers are defiantly in the playoffs and probably won't see Spurs till the very end. Either way, your right this is a hump and hopefully Vinny Del Negro can see what his flaws are and can address them in proper manner.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#3 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:07 pm

yea, glad to have this as a hump while trying to contend.

instead of being like a 6th, or 7th seed and getting bounced in the 1st round and having that be our hump.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
azncorruptedo17
Starter
And1: 222

Post#4 » by azncorruptedo17 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:10 pm

our team sucks :'(

lol jk.

no worries, we got this. 2k13 says so, and i won many championships with this team xD although, i did pull off a trade to get terence ross while getting rid of caron.... lol
Clipper fan since '95!!
BlackBerry
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#5 » by BlackBerry » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Clippers will probably make the Western Conference. That is something to be proud of.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#6 » by TheNewEra » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:46 pm

These things happen we came out rusty and Vinny needs to fix the defense to defend the long ball
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#7 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Our defense was horrible against the Spurs. I can't remember watching such a poor defensive effort from us this season. Hopefully we get it together tonight.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#8 » by mkwest » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 am

Like any team that is considered a contender, we look near unstoppable when everything is going our way. However, unlike the other teams, we have more flaws.

This team is better/smarter than last years team, but there's just not always the necessary sense of urgency. It's easy to say that we got whooped by Miami because it was the first game with everyone back together or that San Antonio lit us up because they had a tune-up game 2 nights prior and it was our first game in a week. A loss to either of those team is nothing to be ashamed of, but looking like you have no fight in you is a whole different story. Last season, the team played with a bit more a chip on their shoulder. This season, there is less of that chip. The veterans have been preaching the need to be even keeled. Don't get to high in success nor too low in failure. I think that is a great way to carry yourself, but consistently staying hungry is important as well.

There's 24 games left and the team needs to be gearing up for the playoff run. We have former champions on this team and we have students of the game. In the playoffs, Defense and Rebounds are vital to a team's success far more often than not. Our opponents have collected ~27% of potential offensive rebounds (which is good for 11th worst). Denver and Utah are the only Western Conference teams that are worse than us in that regard. Golden State is in the top 2 and San Antonio is in top 7. Golden State has been the bigger problem for us during the season, but we all know that San Antonio is in another stratosphere. From a defensive side of things, we give up the 4th highest amount of free-throws per field goal attempt and we allow the 8th highest 3 point percentage in the league. Those are areas that require both the bigs and the guards/wings to give a better effort defensively. I hope the coaching staff and the vets are harping on the players to make strides in these areas.

From an offensive perspective, we're going to need to lean on Blake more frequently in the postseason. CP3 knows what's up if he's healthy. Blake wasn't exactly terrible last season, but more will be required of him. The postseason is all about the stars. Our stars have been able to somewhat coast due to the depth, but you don't not want to rely on the reserves/role players in the post season. If they step up, great, but if not, it's all on the workhorses' shoulders.
pageC4
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#9 » by pageC4 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

The san antonio game revealed a crucial deficiency we have: defending the three point shot. Our perimeter defense is attrocious and its why teams like san antonio, oklahoma city, and even golden state have the potential to oust us from the playoffs.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers