Image ImageImage Image

A realistic look at 2014 FA and options

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Re: A realistic look at 2014 FA and options 

Post#61 » by VolumePoster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 pm

blumeany wrote:Wow. This outlook isn't good. Depending on free agency sounds futile. I think the best move is going to be getting Mirotic here ASAP, amnestying Boozer, and trading Deng for a lottery pick. Most of the free agents listed are either over the hill or just mediocre. I would even consider trading the Bobcats pick for a more recent lottery pick. The Bulls need to get better sooner rather than later. Otherwise, you're talking basketball hell until beyond 2016, when that Bobcats pick and Mirotic would be blossoming.

One hundred percent agreed. My dream scenario is to add Oladipo (need to surrender the Charlotte pick, other firsts, for a mid-lotto pick this year) and Mirotic while resigning Deng on the cheap in 2014.

Rose Teague?
Oladipo Jimmy
Deng Jimmy
Mirotic Taj
Noah Taj/4th big

We need to infuse this core with youth, athleticism and talent. "Starting over" with a new core...it would be nice if the pieces were there. They are not.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#62 » by BullsFTW » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:59 pm

VolumePoster wrote:
blumeany wrote:Wow. This outlook isn't good. Depending on free agency sounds futile. I think the best move is going to be getting Mirotic here ASAP, amnestying Boozer, and trading Deng for a lottery pick. Most of the free agents listed are either over the hill or just mediocre. I would even consider trading the Bobcats pick for a more recent lottery pick. The Bulls need to get better sooner rather than later. Otherwise, you're talking basketball hell until beyond 2016, when that Bobcats pick and Mirotic would be blossoming.

One hundred percent agreed. My dream scenario is to add Oladipo (need to surrender the Charlotte pick, other firsts, for a mid-lotto pick this year) and Mirotic while resigning Deng on the cheap in 2014.

Rose Teague?
Oladipo Jimmy
Deng Jimmy
Mirotic Taj
Noah Taj/4th big

We need to infuse this core with youth, athleticism and talent. "Starting over" with a new core...it would be nice if the pieces were there. They are not.

I wouldn't give up that much for Oladipo. McLemore definitely.
SteveDobbs
Senior
And1: 131

Post#63 » by SteveDobbs » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 pm

I tend to agree that looking at how despicable the 2014 options are, trading Lu this summer may be the best option.

But how many of those teams would actually want him on a one year deal? What else would we have to package with him?

Sub point, as I've seen a few people suggest it here. While it's ridiculous for obvious enough reasons, the Bobcats can't trade us their pick for this year until we officially don't own it anymore. (Meaning it's definitely in the top 12, they might not have a pick to trade so they're not allowed to trade it.) Once it is officially a high lotto pick, why would they trade it?
burlydee
Sixth Man
And1: 907

Post#64 » by burlydee » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:The Bulls plan is 2014, they will not do anything to ruin that. In 2014 we'll have Rose, Noah, Nikola and max money. When looking at 2014, you also need to look for players that could be pushing their way out that expire in 2015. If the Bulls have money to absorb such player it makes a deal easier.

In this time the Bulls need to see if Jimmy is starting material at SF. We need to make a decision if Deng is part of the plan or not. Deng is a 2 time all star and probably will make it next year. He's not going to take a pay cut coming off 3 consecutive all start appearances. Next year is going to be a season where I see minor moves and more Bulls evaluating things.

It's stupidity for the plan to be 2014 unless you have it in the bag that you can not only get 1, but rather 2 stud players in that offseason, especially considering Paxson's track record of making aggressive moves and the inability to attract even one player thru free agency in the past 13 years. If Paxson and the Bulls are waiting around for then, then Bulls fans are going to be in deep trouble with their star player.

How is it stupid?

Nikola is coming that summer and they feel Nikola, Noah and Rose are the new core. I think they want to be able to start over when Nikola comes and build a team that fits the three above I mention.

Well, your star player just pretty much said he wanted more to happen, so if the Bulls plan is to wait around for another year and do nothing they risk alienating him. Plus they already have Rose, Noah, and Mirotic in the fold. They should be trying like hell to get someone in here to complement those guys starting this summer. Waiting for cap space is just another way of cutting salary.

Not to mention we haven't had the best track record in attracting big time free agents. Maybe that changes now that Rose is here, maybe not.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#65 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:02 pm

I'd love to add Mayo that year and have Rose, Noah, Mayo and Nikola as the main 4.

Edit: He'll opt out this summer. The Bulls should offer him 7 mil per and then send Hamilton and a pick to Dallas via S&T. That's the bonus of keeping Hamilton, we can offer him in a trade and take back a contract.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#66 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:02 pm

SteveDobbs wrote:I tend to agree that looking at how despicable the 2014 options are, trading Lu this summer may be the best option.

I agree.

But how many of those teams would actually want him on a one year deal? What else would we have to package with him?

I think that him being an expiring next season actually enhances his value.

Sub point, as I've seen a few people suggest it here. While it's ridiculous for obvious enough reasons, the Bobcats can't trade us their pick for this year until we officially don't own it anymore. (Meaning it's definitely in the top 12, they might not have a pick to trade so they're not allowed to trade it.) Once it is officially a high lotto pick, why would they trade it?

I have never understood the rationale, neither.
BullsFTW
Head Coach

Post#67 » by BullsFTW » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:03 pm

I personally like the Thunder/Spurs model of building teams through the draft. That is why I am keen on selecting the future SG through the draft and not FA. If we want to move on with Rose/Noah/Mirotic core and then acquire a player like McLemore then we'd compete with the best in the future.
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#68 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Another option for all the Butler fans would be send Deng to Dallas for Mayo this summer. It would free up money and land the 2nd scorer/creator we need next to Rose. Dallas would love to have Deng
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#69 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:07 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:The Bulls plan is 2014, they will not do anything to ruin that. In 2014 we'll have Rose, Noah, Nikola and max money. When looking at 2014, you also need to look for players that could be pushing their way out that expire in 2015. If the Bulls have money to absorb such player it makes a deal easier.

In this time the Bulls need to see if Jimmy is starting material at SF. We need to make a decision if Deng is part of the plan or not. Deng is a 2 time all star and probably will make it next year. He's not going to take a pay cut coming off 3 consecutive all start appearances. Next year is going to be a season where I see minor moves and more Bulls evaluating things.

It's stupidity for the plan to be 2014 unless you have it in the bag that you can not only get 1, but rather 2 stud players in that offseason, especially considering Paxson's track record of making aggressive moves and the inability to attract even one player thru free agency in the past 13 years. If Paxson and the Bulls are waiting around for then, then Bulls fans are going to be in deep trouble with their star player.

How is it stupid?

Nikola is coming that summer and they feel Nikola, Noah and Rose are the new core. I think they want to be able to start over when Nikola comes and build a team that fits the three above I mention.

It's very stupid because you keep the same core players, subtract both Boozer and Deng and you add a guy who you hope is better than Boozer, but in all honesty, probably won't be, at least for his first 3 years of his career. Plus, you are looking at another rookie more than likely if they are looking to trade Deng and you have to think his first 3 years will be bumpy too unless that rookie is Wiggins.
BullsFTW
Head Coach

Post#70 » by BullsFTW » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:08 pm

SteveDobbs wrote:I tend to agree that looking at how despicable the 2014 options are, trading Lu this summer may be the best option.

Basically we have to wait until the draft order is final. If it is in the Top 12 (which is almost a guarantee), then the Bulls can offer the Bobcats to "unprotect" their 2013 pick in exchange for the future pick and other assets (Bulls 2013 Pick).
Ralph brought up the Bobcats not being high on this year's draft and wanting their future pick back from the Bulls. So that's the rationale on why the Bulls can move up the 2013 draft.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#71 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:I'd love to add Mayo that year and have Rose, Noah, Mayo and Nikola as the main 4.

Edit: He'll opt out this summer. The Bulls should offer him 7 mil per and then send Hamilton and a pick to Dallas via S&T. That's the bonus of keeping Hamilton, we can offer him in a trade and take back a contract.

That would be an ideal deal. Plus send Noah to Sacramento.

Rose
Mayo
Deng
Gibson
Cousins

You upgrade your offense, still keep a strong part of your core and defense on the table and still have a trade chip in Deng and Gibson if necessary.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#72 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:Another option for all the Butler fans would be send Deng to Dallas for Mayo this summer. It would free up money and land the 2nd scorer/creator we need next to Rose. Dallas would love to have Deng

OJ has a player option after this season. I'm fairly sure that he will use it.

He forced it into his contract because he was looking for a big payday this upcoming off-season after coming up short this past off-season.
VolumePoster
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,025

Post#73 » by VolumePoster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

BullsFTW wrote:
VolumePoster wrote:

Rose Teague?
Oladipo Jimmy
Deng Jimmy
Mirotic Taj
Noah Taj/4th big

I wouldn't give up that much for Oladipo. McLemore definitely.

It really depends on the Bulls evaluation. If you like Ben more, great, I'll support that it we get him. I think Oladipo's more realistic and may turn out the better player. But it's the plan that matters. Again: keep Rose, Noah, and Deng (on a more reasonable contract) as the core. Then draft - and do it now - to support them while they are still in their prime. That's the only way we'll take Miami.

I do love Oladipo though. I think he is 6'5 Westbrook with 3-point range. And better on defense. Just a future absolute star.

I also think Mirotic could really be a player. Wrong thread, I know, but from the few games I've watched, there's a lot of talent there, and he's being massively underutilized on RMD.
BullsFTW
Head Coach

Post#74 » by BullsFTW » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:12 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:Another option for all the Butler fans would be send Deng to Dallas for Mayo this summer. It would free up money and land the 2nd scorer/creator we need next to Rose. Dallas would love to have Deng

He forced it into his contract because he was looking for a big payday this upcoming off-season after coming up short this past off-season.

PHX will offer him a lot for sure.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#75 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:

Then you can get him in a sign and trade for Deng. I don't forsee Mayo getting more than 8 million per year.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#76 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:15 pm

BullsFTW wrote:
BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:

The thing is, Mayo values winning(he's won almost his whole life) as well as great coaching more than just cash. PHX threw alot more cash than Dallas or Chicago did at him, and he declined PHX.
BullsFTW
Head Coach

Post#77 » by BullsFTW » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:17 pm

@ Volume Poster

Oladipo is great, don't get me wrong. I understand why you value him, and he may be available outside of the Top 10. But I feel like he's a bit overrated. A solid starter, but a star in the NBA, not quite sure yet.

Mirotic is awesome and he's an absolute steal. I don't question his ability, and I definitely agree RM underutilized him. They are a guard oriented basketball club.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User

Post#78 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:18 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:
BullsFTW wrote:
BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:OJ has a player option after this season. I'm fairly sure that he will use it.

The thing is, Mayo values winning(he's won almost his whole life) as well as great coaching more than just cash. PHX threw alot more cash than Dallas or Chicago did at him, and he declined PHX.

But, did he decline PHX because they wouldn't give him the one-year-out option that he desired?
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#79 » by Ralphb07 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:20 pm

Biggie I edited it. We could either send Dallas Hamilton's deal if Mayo wants around 7mil or if the Bulls are really brave, can cash in on Deng this summer. Deng is going to want a contract at 14mil IMO, especially being a 2 time all star which he wasn't last contract talks. Dallas would love Deng. We could work a S&T for Mayo and it would actually save the Bulls money this year.

With seeing Jimmy play and what Deng will want money wise. I think it would be smart to cash in and trade Deng for an offensive punch this summer.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#80 » by nitetrain8603 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:21 pm

BIGGIEsmalls 23 wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:
BullsFTW wrote:

But, did he decline PHX because they wouldn't give him the one-year-out option that he desired?

He was going to get alot more money from PHX which was guaranteed. From what I've heard as well, PHX would only give him a mutual option(player+team) if he really wanted a player option. Mayo's plan was to jump on with a team which gets on tv, wins and has great coaching while also giving him the ability to get paid. Dallas gave him the best shot at that since the Bulls already promised Kirk first and they couldn't get rid of Hamilton. Mayo's going to get double his salary once he opts out.

Return to Chicago Bulls