ImageImageImageImageImage

Lowry is this team's leader

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Don_Draper
Rookie
And1: 2,419

Lowry is this team's leader 

Post#1 » by Don_Draper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Rudy makes the big $$ and makes the big shots, Amir is the heart and soul of this team but Lowry is this team's leader.

I remember Rudy mentioning in a post game interview that Lowry is like a pitbull and that playing alongside him brings out the fire and fight in Rudy as well.

I wasn't surprised when Lowry stuck his neck out for Andrea last night telling the fans to STFU with the booing...

I like where this team is headed. Lowry is tough as nails and you want someone like him to be your team's main guy in the locker room.

I really hope we can make the playoffs. These guys can fight and give hell to whoever comes their way in the first round.

Credit to TurboZone
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Re: Lowry is this team's leader 

Post#2 » by Rhettmatic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:09 pm

The team definitely needs the ball in Lowry's hands more often, and for Lowry to probably ignore whatever input the coaching staff has been giving him.

He's basically the only regular rotation player who is a capable/willing passer.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
Phonoodles
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Phonoodles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:23 pm

He has all of the qualities to be a leader. He doesn't back down from anyone, and will take many sacrifices to make the team better.
vexen
Veteran
And1: 886

Post#4 » by vexen » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm

LOL @ all the people who still think Jose was better. Lowry has been playing with a bad ankle for awhile, but looks like he's healed up since the all-star break. I can't wait to see how Lowry does after this team has a full training camp with all these pieces next year. People forget it takes at least a year for a team to mesh and sometimes even longer.
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,376

Post#5 » by Mikistan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:48 pm

vexen wrote:LOL @ all the people who still think Jose was better. Lowry has been playing with a bad ankle for awhile, but looks like he's healed up since the all-star break. I can't wait to see how Lowry does after this team has a full training with all these pieces next year. People forget it takes at least a year for a team to mesh and sometimes even longer.

One thing at a time my friend. Let's just enjoy what we have. No need to knock Jose.

Lowry is a stud and last night we played Lowry brand basketball!
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,532

Post#6 » by dTox » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 pm

vexen wrote:LOL @ all the people who still think Jose was better. Lowry has been playing with a bad ankle for awhile, but looks like he's healed up since the all-star break. I can't wait to see how Lowry does after this team has a full training with all these pieces next year. People forget it takes at least a year for a team to mesh and sometimes even longer.

He's definitely getting better lately but I still think he's having some back issues, the older Lowry was relentless at attacking the basket, he still seems unsure about this now, along with him lying down on the floor every time he hits the bench indicates that there is still some discomfort.

And I agree that he shouldn't be taking tips from the coaching staff since all they've done was nothing but discourage him from playing to his strength.
TBZ for the win
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,485

Post#7 » by Bankai » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:10 pm

I think Lowry is a very capable PG, the only flaw I noticeably see is that he doesent have the timing that Calderon has on his passes, which leads to turnovers. To be fair, very little have that timing down like Jose does. Im sure he notices this as well and hesitates a bit when trying to swing the ball too much. Lowry is very tenacious who defends, can shoot well, and is better at dribble penetration and "thread the needle" passes. But his type of play increases his risk of getting injured. But the guy is a leader, and from what I saw last night from Felton, I am glad we have someone like Lowry and not Raymond.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,532

Post#8 » by dTox » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:18 pm

By the way, has anyone else noticed that Lowry's D is starting to turn around once again? He defended Melo as well as anyone in that last second play which prevented him from tying the game.
TBZ for the win
KnickerBonkerz
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#9 » by KnickerBonkerz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 pm

It's unfair to compare the two players, you know it is possible to like Lowry without having to knock Jose right? Lowry is what this team needs now but honestly, would it be that much different if we had just kept Jarret Jack? They make the same amount of money, and Jack is having a great season.

We wouldn't have had to give up our draft pick :D
Don_Draper
Rookie

Post#10 » by Don_Draper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 pm

He is a bully on the court. He mauls opposing teams' big men on almost every rebound when we miss a shot...I love that..when he does that...it slows the other team down and keeps them from running a fast break and buys us time to get set on defense. This never gets mentioned during the broadcasts and I think it's a very important aspect to his game.

And yes, he doesn't back down from anyone, on defense...he is just a handful for the opposing teams.

Credit to TurboZone
raptorfan416
Banned User
And1: 172

Post#11 » by raptorfan416 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 pm

raptor fans i tell you :nonono: .. 2 weeks ago you guys wanted to run this guy out of town now he's the leader of the team :noway: . early during the game yesterday people were talking crap about gay, now he's the player we've been missing :nonono: seriously some people on here got mental issues.. they don't wait to pass judgement.. a lot of people on here just say random crap just for sake of saying something.. i guarantee you if brags drops 20+ points in the next 2 game's it will go from this guy is a bust to brags is looking like an allstar out there :nonono:
Don_Draper
Rookie

Post#12 » by Don_Draper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:31 pm

raptorfan416 wrote:raptor fans i tell you :nonono: .. 2 weeks ago you guys wanted to run this guy out of town now he's the leader of the team :noway: . early during the game yesterday people were talking crap about gay, now he's the player we've been missing :nonono: seriously some people on here got mental issues.. they don't wait to pass judgement.. a lot of people on here just say random crap just for sake of saying something.. i guarantee you if brags drops 20+ points in the next 2 game's it will go from this guy is a bust to brags is looking like an allstar out there :nonono:

You do realize that there are tons of posters on this board with a lot of different opinions on the game and our players right? lol :lol:

If someone comes out and criticizes a player doesn't mean everyone on this board is ready to "run him out of town". :lol:

Credit to TurboZone
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#13 » by Los Manos » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:32 pm

I think there had been a hesitancy to really make this team his responsibility leading up to the trade. He had a leaders mindset coming in but between losing his starting gig and injuries he mentally stepped back a little from owning this team. I'm liking the signs recently though that he's checked back in, perhaps he finally sees a future here worth building after understandable doubts a few months ago. But for stretches we're seeing the old Lowry and actually peppering that into his less aggressive, controlled play rather than just purely trying to take over is ultimately going to be good for his development and great for the team. He's still deferring a little too often but I'd rather he were on that side of the fence while figuring out when the team needs him rather than overly dominating the ball.

We're certainly seeing signs that Lowry is getting that fire back to lead from the front and is making this team his once again.

I still think he can get in a lot better shape than he currently is. It could be that his ankle is preventing him from doing any cardio work at all to ease the symptoms. I just think there has to be a reason that Casey is holding him until the 5 min mark in the 4th quarter and if Lowry is still limiting his workload due to his nagging injury then the likelihood is he is being held back to stop him gassing out. I'm looking forward to seeing what a summer rehabbing an injury that has been hanging around for over a year now and what kind of shape Alex Mckechnie can work him into because his current physical condition is holding him back.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#14 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:36 pm

Rhettmatic wrote:The team definitely needs the ball in Lowry's hands more often, and for Lowry to probably ignore whatever input the coaching staff has been giving him.

He's basically the only regular rotation player who is a capable/willing passer.

Huge +1 to this.

It's obvious that the coaching staff has tried to get Lowry to slowdown into halfcourt sets (which is absolutely counterproductive to his and the team's young uptempo style) and become more of a passer. You can read between the lines when Colangelo publicly states they were looking for more of a "pass-first" PG that they want Lowry to become likewise.

He's not a pass-first PG and does not thrive trying to be nor does the team. The coaching staff seem to believe that Lowry just needs to set up DeMar and Rudy so therefore he has to take less shots...when in reality it's the opposite. Those guys are feeding off of him getting going and it's only making their lives easier...easier shots, less attention from the defence and playing at a tempo they are ALL good at.

Lowry is clearly the leader because he is the most vocal and obviously the strongest personality. If Casey and his staff of halfwits had a clue they would create an offence that feeds off of it's leader.

It doesn't mean Lowry has to become the focal point doing majority of the scoring or what have you but his style of play is what the team needs to feed off of and I guarantee this team is much better for it. It reminds me of Billups in DET, Chauncey wasn't a #1 option but he did rally his troops and they were a much better team by following his direction regardless of the other talent -- Iverson's arrival made it painfully clear that talent wasn't the issue; leadership and say in the direction of the team was the key.
PT416
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,243

Post#15 » by PT416 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:37 pm

I've been on TeamLowry since the start of the season and as much as we all want to praise the Rudy Gay trade when we win there's tons of other reasons for our recent success as well. I think that if we just let Lowry and Jonas start the whole season and didn't give them unfair treatment after their injuries our team would have more wins. People can rave about Rudy and I love him on our squad but truth is there's a lot of variables for our recent streak and it all starts with Lowry IMO. Jose was way too conservative for a young, athletic squad. It's pretty pathetic that Casey was unable to see that and had to be spoonfed this situation. But it is what it is and I'm excited for where this team is headed. Haven't loved the guys on our team like this since the VC era.
TheGoodDoctor
General Manager
And1: 8,607

Post#16 » by TheGoodDoctor » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Lowry imo should be used and can become a player like Chauncey Billups.

Their styles are not exactly alike of course but there is plenty of similarities and Billups was not truly a pass first PG. He was something in between just as Lowry is. But both guys are the toughness, the backbone and the bulldog of their team.

Casey & Co. need to understand that.

Gay may be the talent but talent doesn't always equate to leader. ie/ again Billups in DEN, Melo was the talent but Chauncey was the leader....what makes our scenario possibly better is that Gay has less of an ego than Melo and Rudy and Lowry are actual friends so the chemistry and dynamic can be that much stronger. Rudy can hit the big shots for us and still create some amazing plays but the team still has to be lead by it's strongest character; Lowry. Lowry's strength can also get Rudy going and in turn the team will also feed off of Rudy's incredible talent this damn coaching staff just needs to see what was a little bit on display yesterday with the Knicks and get going.
Los Manos
Head Coach
And1: 1,870

Post#17 » by Los Manos » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 pm

TheGoodDoctor wrote:Lowry imo should be used and can become a player like Chauncey Billups.

Their styles are not exactly alike of course but there is plenty of similarities and Billups was not truly a pass first PG. He was something in between just as Lowry is. But both guys are the toughness, the backbone and the bulldog of their team.

Casey & Co. need to understand that.

Gay may be the talent but talent doesn't always equate to leader. ie/ again Billups in DEN, Melo was the talent but Chauncey was the leader....what makes our scenario possibly better is that Gay has less of an ego than Melo and Rudy and Lowry are actual friends so the chemistry and dynamic can be that much stronger. Rudy can hit the big shots for us and still create some amazing plays but the team still has to be lead by it's strongest character; Lowry. Lowry's strength can also get Rudy going and in turn the team will also feed off of Rudy's incredible talent this damn coaching staff just needs to see what was a little bit on display yesterday with the Knicks and get going.

A prime Chauncy Billups is a great example that the coaching staff should be holding up to Lowry and encouraging him to emulate.

Return to Toronto Raptors