ImageImageImageImageImage

Wide Open Shots

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

shokase
Banned User
And1: 521

Wide Open Shots 

Post#1 » by shokase » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:40 pm

So I have been playing basketball half my life. No matter what competition or where you play people tend to make shots if you leave them open and not contest it at all. What I noticed with the knicks that has been a reoccuring problem is that the knicks tend to give up about 7-10 wide open shots every game. Whether it be on poor defense or just lack of effort (laziness?) the opposition gets wide open looks way too often. Now watching other teams, they will give a couple uncontested looks the entire game but not to the extent of the knicks. I wanted to ask you guys if you notice this too and how/if this can be tightened up. This is also part of the reason regular role players always have career nights against us.

What do you guys think? Am I reaching or have you noticed this also?
hatnlvr
General Manager
And1: 1,117

Re: Wide Open Shots 

Post#2 » by hatnlvr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:50 pm

I think part of the problem is too much switching on defense. Woodson likes to have the guys switching but the problem is they are switching now too quickly and sometimes for no reason at all. We aren't playing enough man defense which is why there are so many open shots.
ImageImage
knicknack
Sixth Man
And1: 213

Post#3 » by knicknack » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:59 pm

It looks to me like the switching isn't working for us as it seems to take the aggressiveness out of the players. The reason could be that it looks like when we switch, it creates a mismatch not in our favor, whether it be: 1) a stronger player on our weaker player, 2) a taller player on our shorter player, 3) a faster player on our slower player, 4) a more athletic player on our less mobile player, etc.

What I also noticed is that our teams lateral movement against ball handlers is lacking, especially when we are not staying with their man when they move laterally across the paint, which then forces other players to leave their man to help (this may often give the false appearance of a "Switch" but its just our defender getting beat across the floor. Just see the games where opposing guards with lateral quickness are having career games against us. Most of their points or the points they create for their teammates are occurring when they are moving laterally against us.

Another thing that bothers me is that the defensive mistakes our team has been making (especially over the past two months) are not improving and maybe worst of all players like Novak, Copeland, Amare, Shump, Melo, (Brewer, when he was here), Felton, etc. are still weak on defense. For a defensive minded coach, I can't understand why they are not improving. Age may be a factor with this team but there is still no reason not to have a sound foundation of defense, these players have played long enough to understand how to play together on defense despite their weaknesses. But I don't even see them playing together these days.

And with the constant complaining after every play which doesn't go their way, it appears that this team has lost control of themselves and even worse, the coach has lost the team as he has not improved on these problems and has not corrected what he has pledge to change, i.e. The complaining!

I still love our Knicks (its like a curse for me that I can't and I don't want to shake, lol) but lately, I keep finding myself trying to temper my expectations and excitement for this team. I haven't missed a Knick game in many years (I watch most games on TV (taped), its like a drug addiction. I will always watch our Knicks no matter how bad they play or how much it hurts, their are few things in my life which gets me more excited than getting ready to watch our Knicks play!
RajonRondo
Senior
And1: 15

Post#4 » by RajonRondo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:14 pm

hatnlvr wrote:I think part of the problem is too much switching on defense. Woodson likes to have the guys switching but the problem is they are switching now too quickly and sometimes for no reason at all. We aren't playing enough man defense which is why there are so many open shots.

chill D'Antoni was the king of switching
rebounds is the best stat
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#5 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:21 pm

RajonRondo wrote:
hatnlvr wrote:I think part of the problem is too much switching on defense. Woodson likes to have the guys switching but the problem is they are switching now too quickly and sometimes for no reason at all. We aren't playing enough man defense which is why there are so many open shots.

chill D'Antoni was the king of switching

And who was his defensive guru assistant coach who implemented the switching defense?
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
shokase
Banned User
And1: 521

Post#6 » by shokase » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:56 pm

What is the point of switching defense with our team. I can understand Miami or other strong defending teams switching because they have multiple defenders that can guard multiple positions. We have felton and kiddd guarding small forwards and other moronic mismatches.

Return to New York Knicks