Lakers and Mavs are just 3 games away from Playoff spot.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Re: Lakers and Mavs are just 3 games away from Playoff spot. 

Post#61 » by matt6715 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm

I'm a huge mavs fan but even I know it's an improbable uphill battle for them to make the POs. Every game needs playoff intensity and Sunday's game against the Lakers is the season. If they win Sunday, pick up some steam and can roll into the first game against Houston with a streak going, they have a shot. Not a great one, but a shot nonetheless.

That being said, if they lose to the Lakers, that's it
Donald Kaufman
General Manager
And1: 601

Post#62 » by Donald Kaufman » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Who cares? They're both getting bounced early even if they do make it.
misterglover
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#63 » by misterglover » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:41 pm

The Lakers are getting in, Jazz falling out.....and on top of that I'll make a prediction, if the Lakers end up matched up against the Spurs they lose, if they manage to draw OKC they pull the upset.
TONY_YAYO
Pro Prospect
And1: 324

Post#64 » by TONY_YAYO » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Lakers are horrendous they should've traded Kobe now another Kobe team will be playoff-less or 1st rd exits. Team will be goin nowhere with 34 yr old Kobe trying to be the man
ā€œI didnā€™t come for the massage, Funk; I came for the facial.ā€-Stacey King
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#65 » by leolozon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Fobbie wrote:After watching last night game, I'm not impress or sold on the Lakers making the playoff.

Nash went 2/11 and they still won. When does Nash shoot that poorly?
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
And1: 338

Post#66 » by Dr Pepper » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 pm

Its going to take some serious injuries for the Lakers or Mavs to sneak in. Jazz may not be contenders but their business model revolves around making the playoffs for the extra $$$ so they'll be motivated anyway
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#67 » by PetroNet » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:47 pm

no, i cant seven see the lakers finishing with a winning record. dwight/kobe s going to get super toxic after their next 3 game losing streak
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#68 » by branny » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Donald Kaufman wrote:Who cares? They're both getting bounced early even if they do make it.

And what if another Spurs/Grizzlies series happens?
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#69 » by inquisitive » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 pm

leolozon wrote:
Fobbie wrote:After watching last night game, I'm not impress or sold on the Lakers making the playoff.

i think he meant their defense....offense is not a problem.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#70 » by jazzfan1971 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:48 pm

misterglover wrote:The Lakers are getting in, Jazz falling out.....and on top of that I'll make a prediction, if the Lakers end up matched up against the Spurs they lose, if they manage to draw OKC they pull the upset.

Ohhh, can I get in on teh arbitrary endpoints game as well?

Over the last 23 games the Jazz are 16-7 or nearly 70%. (69.5%)

Arbitrary endpoints aside, the Jazz are playing better to the eye test as well. I don't know what would make you think they are dropping out of the playoffs. Anything logical you can point to?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#71 » by anish23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:52 pm

It's going to be tough for either team to make it. But there are some interesting games coming up.

As a Mavs fan, Sundays game against Lakers is huge, and in a week or so we play Houston twice within 4 days. That should be huge games. If we manage to win all three, we are right back in the playoff hunt.
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#72 » by Muggsy Bogues » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:54 pm

leolozon wrote:

They won against a non-playoff team and possibly the only squad in the league with a worse bench than theirs. Have them pull off a similar win against top competition and then we'll talk.
bfpri
Junior
And1: 178

Post#73 » by bfpri » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Why is everyone talking about Houston? 3 games separate the 8th seed from the 6th seed. Any of those teams can drop out.
kaitanuva
Junior
And1: 34

Post#74 » by kaitanuva » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 pm

bfpri wrote:Why is everyone talking about Houston? 3 games separate the 8th seed from the 6th seed. Any of those teams can drop out.

3.5 games separate 9th and 8th. And Utah is playing pretty well. Warriors are just too far from the 9th seed though.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#75 » by Jake0890 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Lakers make it, Jazz drop out.
Muggsy Bogues
Assistant Coach
And1: 288

Post#76 » by Muggsy Bogues » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:51 pm

bfpri wrote:Why is everyone talking about Houston? 3 games separate the 8th seed from the 6th seed. Any of those teams can drop out.

Maybe if they're hit with a bunch of injuries at the same time. The Warriors and Jazz are far deeper than the Lakers and quite a bit more talented than Dallas. What's more, Golden State spends almost the entire final month at home, which makes it even less likely they'll drop. The Jazz have been on a tear lately, and that's without Hayward, who just got back earlier this week. Honestly, I'm not sure I even see the Mavs or Lakers catching up with Houston, because James Harden can pull them out of a lot of close games even if the other guys end up faltering a bit down the stretch.
RunSunRun
Veteran
And1: 722

Post#77 » by RunSunRun » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Muggsy Bogues wrote:

Maybe if they're hit with a bunch of injuries at the same time. The Warriors and Jazz are far deeper than the Lakers and quite a bit more talented than Dallas. What's more, Golden State spends almost the entire final month at home, which makes it even less likely they'll drop. The Jazz have been on a tear lately, and that's without Hayward, who just got back earlier this week. Honestly, I'm not sure I even see the Mavs or Lakers catching up with Houston, because James Harden can pull them out of a lot of close games even if the other guys end up faltering a bit down the stretch.

Houston also has 4 games left against Phoenix which they should sweep as we don't match up that well offensively.

Yes, the Lakers are playing better, but so is everyone else in the Western Conference except GSW until last night. And even than, their losing streak were games all against other playoff teams except Dallas who is right in the mix anyways.
Honey Bear
Starter
And1: 179

Post#78 » by Honey Bear » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:34 pm

kaitanuva wrote:

3.5 games separate 9th and 8th. And Utah is playing pretty well. Warriors are just too far from the 9th seed though.

The Rockets are about to win a bunch more games with their next 10 games. I expect that separation to increase.
Fobbie
Sixth Man
And1: 225

Post#79 » by Fobbie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:44 pm

leolozon wrote:

Should thank the NBA and LMA for bailing you out last night. You barely won last night, heck Portland was leading most of the game.
jjscap
Bench Warmer
And1: 323

Post#80 » by jjscap » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Utah is strong home and they got 14 home games left in the schedule most of which are against the EC teams. They'll secure the 8th seed.
Unless Harden or Asik gets injured there is no way Rockets are missing the playoffs.
GSW is the team to watch. They have been playing awful defense lately and losing tons of games. But they beat Spurs last night so you never know.

Currently Lakers has 27-29. GSW: 32-23
I think Warriors will end up having 45-37, going 13-14 in the rest of the games. Their schedule is so-so but you know those lottery teams will lose no matter how bad GSW plays.

So Lakers will need to win 18 out of 26 games left. That's the minimum. That's highly unlikely but still achievable.

Return to The General Board