ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiz vs Denver Game Thread 2/22/13 7PM - Its a win

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Wiz vs Denver Game Thread 2/22/13 7PM - Its a win 

Post#81 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Its a highlight reel. They are only showing him making shoots. Of course they look good.

When he has no hick in his shoot, they look a lot better. Nice and smooth. His entire body is integrated from setting up, to jumping to smoothly releasing.

When he misses and looks bad, mostly of that is not true. Most noticeable is that he will not smoothly release it. He will jump, reach the peek, start back down and then release it. Or he won't be on balance when he jumps. Or sometimes he doesn't jump. But shooting from the outside is just one way of being an effective basketball player. Specially as a PG. He worries about it way to much for right now. He has other things he needs to get better at which are more with in his reach.

For one, he needs to pick a style and stick to it. One or two spots on the floor and just work it over and over and over. Always jump or don't.

KISS

Wall's biggest problem is not talent. Its trying to do to much. He looks better when he focuses on a fewer things. He needs to build a foundation of efficiency. Then slowly add to it. Its a process.

Since the jumper is a category unto itself that needs addressed. Just greatly limit those shots. There is plenty for him to focus on outside of that.

Manage the game.
Passing.
Don't pick up the dribble.
Move the defense with your dribble.
Floaters
Fast breaks
Drives
FT shooting
Defense.

If he just focused on that stuff, he could have a huge impact on the game and do it efficiently. And that would build his confident. Leave the shooting from all over the place as project for another day.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#82 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:22 pm

hands11 wrote:Its a highlight reel. They are only showing him making shoots. Of course they look good.

When he has no hick in his shoot, they look a lot better. Nice and smooth. His entire body is integrated from setting up, to jumping to smoothly releasing.

When he misses and looks bad, mostly of that is not true. Most noticeable is that he will not smoothly release it. He will jump, reach the peek, start back down and then release it. Or he won't be on balance when he jumps. Or sometimes he doesn't jump. But shooting from the outside is just one way of being an effective basketball player. Specially as a PG. He worries about it way to much for right now. He has other things he needs to get better at which are more with in his reach.

For one, he needs to pick a style and stick to it. One or two spots on the floor and just work it over and over and over. Always jump or don't.

KISS

Wall's biggest problem is not talent. Its trying to do to much. He looks better when he focuses on a fewer things. He needs to build a foundation of efficiency. Then slowly add to it. Its a process.

Since the jumper is a category unto itself that needs addressed. Just greatly limit those shots. There is plenty for him to focus on outside of that.

Manage the game.
Passing.
Don't pick up the dribble.
Move the defense with your dribble.
Floaters
Fast breaks
Drives
FT shooting
Defense.

If he just focused on that stuff, he could have a huge impact on the game and do it efficiently. And that would build his confident. Leave the shooting from all over the place as project for another day.

You are so right Hands. Wall tries to do too much and that's why he screws up. He needs to figure out what type of player he is going to be and stick to it. Find his hot spots on the floor, have a few go to moves, and tighten his handle. The jump shot will come in time if he focuses on learning proper mechanics.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#83 » by truwizfan4evr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Why cant we just lose?
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
hands11
Banned User

Post#84 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:06 pm

You know what. In Walls defense, here is what is different.

He came to a team that needed him to be a lot more then what they need now. That team needed a CP3 or a Rose. This team doesn't. At least right now they don't.

They have more shooter nows. They have more efficient players now. They can play defense now and control the pace better. They have a couple of post options. They have players to share the leadership roles.

They don't need Wall to do it all ... be it all.. SAVE THE TEAM. They don't need that anymore.

All he needs to do is focus on running the team and being efficient. There are players around him that can carry their share of the load.

That is very different then the team he arrived to. One this team, he can be a member without needing to be the savior. It may take a moment for that to sync in for him. On this team, less is more so far as Wall is concerned.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,114

Post#85 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Interesting note, in the 3 game in which we've allowed more than a 100 points since Wall's return, we've won.
zardsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#86 » by zardsfan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:23 pm

I enjoyed watching that game. Nice team win.

Despite a very poor start (shooting wise) to Beal's season, if he keeps playing like he has the last 2 months he is going to end up with some very respectable numbers for his rookie season. I hope by the end of the season that his shooting percentages will creep up somewhere near the mid 40% range.

Speaking of mid 40% shooting, Martell Webster (fg%.43 & 3p%.44) is looking like a great off-season pick-up. I don't know much about his past play with Portland & Minny but he has been solid as a Wizard all year. He deserves some props and I hope we can re-sign him..
Knuckleheads need not apply!
hands11
Banned User

Post#87 » by hands11 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 pm

Just watching the 4th now. So they were up by 18 pts with 10:30 on the clock in the 4th

At least Randy put Okafor back in this time.

Man, nice follow slam by Webster. :wink:

Okafor to the rim for the dunk.
Okafor to the rim on a drive. Very nice.

Randy may be learning.

Man, A Miller really just jumps into anyone that is close to him.

Wall with the block
Wall drive to Nene. Very nice.

Miller jumping into Webster again. :roll: That twice he did that in the last 3 minutes.

Wall baseline. Nice. Stepped into it. That what he needs to do. Step in and let it fly.

TREVOR FOR 3 - Very nice.

Oh Wall. Getting to sloppy on that cross over.

Nice flip by Beal. He pulled his wrist back so not to land on it. Very smart.

Another playoff team taken down by the Wizards.
fifthstop
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#88 » by fifthstop » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 pm

You know what. In Walls defense, here is what is different.

He came to a team that needed him to be a lot more then what they need now. That team needed a CP3 or a Rose. This team doesn't. At least right now they don't.

It's also because he has physical tools to do things other, lesser, athletes just can't. And those potential feats are many so it's a "of whom much is given, much is expected" situation. Couple that with his intelligence, demonstrated work ethic and terrific attitude and the amazing does not seem so far-fetched.

Happily, it looks like with time he might actually deliver! We just have to chill out and give him the most-needed ingredient: time. We love him so we have high expectations but also because we love him we've got his back while he works.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#89 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:05 pm

I was interested to note that in 2 games, we really held Faried in check.
Good bigs that put a body on him seem to be effective in slowing him down.
Doesn't bode well for DEN's post-season chances.

Beal is my hero. He's close to our best player now. In 2 years when he's
an old 21 yo vet, watch out.

Nice clutch J by Wall to put the game away. DEN used EJ type defense on that
play (god I hope he misses that shot (no challenge)).

We had no ability to stop penetration.

Iggy isn't very good for DEN considering he's a former AS and National team member.
Maybe because he shoots about like Wall.

I've liked Ty Lawson since UNC. Thought he should have been picked higher. Actually
thought PHL should have taken him ahead of Jrue but that's worked out pretty well for PHL.
Both guys should have been picked higher.

Big props to Price for hitting 4 3s. We won the game by out-boarding them and
on 3 pt shooting. DEN was 4-22 (pitiful), we were 11-24 (nice).

Meka needs to be better at the stripe or teams will go Hack-a-Meck in the 4thQ
of a close game.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Re: Wiz vs Denver Game Thread 2/22/13 7PM 

Post#90 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:12 pm

nate33 wrote:Nene routinely comes up with huge plays in crunch time. Tonight it was the offensive rebound for Ariza's 3, and then the block on Lawson.

If we hadn't dominated DEN on the boards, you could criticize his lack of rebounds.
But he got as many boards as Manimal. And outscored him.

Good comment though.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#91 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:15 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:I'm one of the few that wouldn't mind seeing Okafor resigned if we could get him at a decent price. I mean his game isn't really based on athleticism, quickness, or anything else that will rapidly deteriorate with age. If he keeps up his play why no sign him to a 2-3 year contract.

I agree with this.

When the trade was made, I didn't like it because I thought Seraphin was on his
way to being just about as good. Wishful and/or naive thinking on my part.
Meka makes too much now but maybe we could re-sign him later for
something more reasonable.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#92 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:17 pm

80sballboy wrote:
RustyMagoo wrote:The Beal in the sky keeps on turning!

A Journey reference! Nice.

I liked the previous Boston reference

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#93 » by dobrojim » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Good game. Watched it on DVR and wasn't sure after a 64-64 half that we would get it done. Denver is absolutely horrible on defense. Javale should play more minutes for them because he protects the rim but he's such a poor offensive player.

IMO, you've got that backwards.

McGee is a pretty good offensive player because of his ability to finish, and he has even developed some decent post moves. McGee is an awful defender who is always late on rotations and looking for the highlight reel block instead of just getting a hand in a guy's face. His lack of defense is why Karl can't start him. It's not a coincidence that we went from being one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the best as soon as we traded McGee for Nene.

+1

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#94 » by Kanyewest » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:23 pm

dobrojim wrote:I was interested to note that in 2 games, we really held Faried in check.
Good bigs that put a body on him seem to be effective in slowing him down.
Doesn't bode well for DEN's post-season chances.

Beal is my hero. He's close to our best player now. In 2 years when he's
an old 21 yo vet, watch out.

Nice clutch J by Wall to put the game away. DEN used EJ type defense on that
play (god I hope he misses that shot (no challenge)).

We had no ability to stop penetration.

Iggy isn't very good for DEN considering he's a former AS and National team member.
Maybe because he shoots about like Wall.

I've liked Ty Lawson since UNC. Thought he should have been picked higher. Actually
thought PHL should have taken him ahead of Jrue but that's worked out pretty well for PHL.
Both guys should have been picked higher.

Big props to Price for hitting 4 3s. We won the game by out-boarding them and
on 3 pt shooting. DEN was 4-22 (pitiful), we were 11-24 (nice).

Meka needs to be better at the stripe or teams will go Hack-a-Meck in the 4thQ
of a close game.

Thought it was interesting that it was Beal that stole a few rebounds from Faried. Against the Wizards Faried for whatever reason is pretty ineffective. I got the feeling that I got when I watched Etan Thomas which was that he had a lot of activity but not a lot of producion.

It is probably the Nene/McGee trade that got the Wizards fired up against their bigs. You see Wall high flying to for boards against McGee. The Nuggets try to throw in few alley oops to McGee but the Wizards know that it is coming.

Watching McGee was like watching why the Wizards got rid of him in the first place. He was great for stretches in the 1st half but at other times he was incredibly frustrating to watch (although I was happy that he was on the other team). After going all out and expending too much energy defending the perimeter like he did when he tried to block Temple's shot, he takes plays off defensively, doesn't protect the paint, frequently decides to leak out and cherry ick instead of protecting the boards. BTW, no reason talent wise McGee shouldn't be playing over Koufos. But Karl probably realizes that McGee lacks the discipline and lack of consistency would cost the Nuggets games.

Return to Washington Wizards