ImageImage

2013 Coaching Candidates / Offseason Head Coach Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Re: 2013 Coaching Candidates 

Post#61 » by Garbs_7 » Wed Jan 2, 2013 5:55 am

Would love to give Sampson his start here because I believe he will be a very good head coach in time. I remember players used to rave about him when he was here and it was a big loss to lose him to Houston.

Question is would he want to come here with the uncertainty of the team's future, meddling owner, lack of a star player etc? Guess it would depend a lot on whether on not Kohl sells at the end of the year and if the GM we hire brings in his own guy etc.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,051

Post#62 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jan 2, 2013 1:31 pm

I think realistically Kelvin Sampson is the best candidate at the moment. He seems to have good knowledge of the game, players like him, has had success as head coach at the collegiate level, and did okay with the Rockets interm job earlier. He's had ties here fairly recently and knows some of our personnel. It may not be a home run with the casual fan, but he does have name recognition.

I'm not sure how much of a X's and O's guy he is, but what about Bruce Pearl? Here is a guy that may be a little shady for college basketball, but would bring some personality and flavor. I'm a MU guy, so I wasn't a huge Pearl guy back in the day but he wins where he goes and seems to always be liked by his players. I don't know if he'd fit well in the NBA or not, but thought I'd throw him out there.

And you gotta think right now Skiles is helping his stock elsewhere. Nationally the Bucks are viewed as a nice surprise of the season. Even Hammond for that matter I guess.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#63 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Careful what you wish for.

Q: Luke Geiger, Greenfield, WI - Who are some of the possible candidates to become the permanent head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks?

A: Charles F. Gardner - Hi everyone, We have some breaking news here with Bucks GM John Hammond to sign a three-year extension with the team today, according to league sources. I will be busy with this story so may have to keep our chat a little shorter than usual. Thanks for understanding. I will try to answer a few questions. It's a bit early on a coaching search question, particularly with Jim Boylan going 6-2 thus far. I'm sure he wants to be a candidate. Who's out there? Flip Saunders, Alvin Gentry (just let go by Phoenix), Avery Johnson, to name a few.

Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#64 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:46 pm

It seems more like Gardner throwing out "name" guys where he didn't put alot of thought and effort into it. I wonder what the organization's plan is with Boylan and if he really will be a serious candidate. Unless they win like 60% of their games and maybe win a playoff series, I can't imagine they will go his route.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#65 » by CanadaBucks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:49 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Careful what you wish for.

Q: Luke Geiger, Greenfield, WI - Who are some of the possible candidates to become the permanent head coach of the Milwaukee Bucks?
A: Charles F. Gardner - Hi everyone, We have some breaking news here with Bucks GM John Hammond to sign a three-year extension with the team today, according to league sources. I will be busy with this story so may have to keep our chat a little shorter than usual. Thanks for understanding. I will try to answer a few questions. It's a bit early on a coaching search question, particularly with Jim Boylan going 6-2 thus far. I'm sure he wants to be a candidate. Who's out there? Flip Saunders, Alvin Gentry (just let go by Phoenix), Avery Johnson, to name a few.

Gotta be someone worse than those 3
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#66 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 pm

If D'Antoni survives the offseason it sounds like Gentry has a spot there. I don't have any interest in Flip Saunders at this point. He had some success with Minnesota a decade ago but has flamed out since then, has turned us down in the past, lets not go there. I'd rather go Nate McMillan than Avery Johnson, Johnson has burned out fairly quick with 2 teams with talent already. McMillan has been a little more stable and has shown the ability to turn 2 teams in rough shape into competitive teams. But he wouldn't be my top choice by any means.

I still would pursue Sampson. I think he is intelligent and has an ability to relate to players, while holding their respect.
yuedar
Rookie
And1: 58

Post#67 » by yuedar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:32 pm

If the bucks stick with monta / jennings we may as well go all in and get Isiah Thomas to be our HC lol
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#68 » by Badgerlander » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm

CanadaBucks wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Careful what you wish for.

Gotta be someone worse than those 3

Dunleavy Sr?
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#69 » by whatthe_buck!? » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am

Why don't nba teams that need a coach take a page from the playbook of well run nfl teams and just hire a top assistant off of the best coached team in the league? I dont have any idea who the spurs assistants are but I feel like any one of them would without a doubt be better than anyone we will actually end up hiring. I just got done watching a replay of the spurs playing the bulls and it reminded me that any player they acquire works out and becomes a productive player. That's no coincidence, they are perfectly coached and every player knows exactly what their role and responsibilities are when they are on the court. Watching them play another well coached team like the bulls and basically outmaneuver them strategically just reinforces the impact of a great coaching staff in the nba. It's not necessarily about the effect the coach(es) have on individual games from game to game, it's about knowing how to mold a team into something over a season and more importantly seasons.

In addition, watching the spurs also reminded me how lucky players they draft are to get chosen by them. Getting drafted to play for the spurs instead of the bucks is like the difference between getting a woman with supermodel looks and a keen intelligence and who loves U more than life itself to marry u versus marrying a horsefaced bony angry nagging c*nt who has zero respect for u. Inotherwords it's essentially the difference between having a happy life or a terribly depressing one (happy pro career or a frustrating and disappointing career). Until that changes we can pick all the draft gems we want, they won't reach their true potential and if they get close they won't want to stay...
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#70 » by whatthe_buck!? » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 am

One more thought: I love Khawai Leonard. One of my fav young players in the league to watch. But is there any doubt that if we had drafted him he would've ended up not turning into the player he is today? Why do I feel like there's a good chance that if he had begun his career as a buck he would have bounced around the league and had the career of an nba journeyman? And if I'm right about that, how does can that phenomenon be attributed to anything besides coaching in a significant way? Btw, in case anyone was wondering, they beat the Bulls pretty handily in Chicago with Parker, Duncan and Ginobli all sitting the game out just for the extra rest. Excuse me I'm sorry I meant because of 'injuries'...
NathanDonald13
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#71 » by NathanDonald13 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm

1.Mike Budenholzer
2.Eric Musselman
3.David Blatt
4.Ettore Messina
5.Bill Self
yoyomayoma
Pro Prospect
And1: 19

Post#72 » by yoyomayoma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 pm

I read the other day that Lionel Hollins' deal with Memphis is up after this year. He's not happy with the recent moves. I think it'd be a coup to land a coach like Hollins. I still really like Mike Malone as well.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#73 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm kind of curious if we continue to lose and players become unhappy if Boylan starts feeling the heat. Half serious.
zjl3
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#74 » by zjl3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 pm

1) Brian Shaw
2) Quin Snyder
3) Mo Cheeks
4) Kim Hughes
5) Jack Sikma -
6) Avery Johnson
7) Sam Mitchell
8) Herb Williams
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#75 » by Thunder Muscle » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:10 pm

zjl3 wrote:1) Brian Shaw
2) Quin Snyder
3) Mo Cheeks
4) Kim Hughes
5) Jack Sikma -
6) Avery Johnson
7) Sam Mitchell
8) Herb Williams

No to Cheeks, Avery, Sam, and Herb Williams. Shaw would be fine, but I don't know if his system fits our personnel. I don't know enough about Snyder nor Hughes. Sikma seems more like a quality assistant to me. He'd be a good fit from the past history standpoint.

I still would have Sampson #1 on my list.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#76 » by JayMKE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Sampson just seems like by far the best most realistic option
FREE GIANNIS
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#77 » by Wilford Brimley » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:51 pm

@JimOwczarski
. @GeryWoelfel is telling @Bill_Michaels right now that Jerry Sloan wants to get back into coaching & that he wants to be in a small market.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#78 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Wilford Brimley wrote:@JimOwczarski
. @GeryWoelfel is telling @Bill_Michaels right now that Jerry Sloan wants to get back into coaching & that he wants to be in a small market.

Probably the one guy out there that could move the needle. My only real concern is he's in his 70's. But I guess if he's in good health and committed 100%, I'd definitely put him near the top of my list.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,159

Post#79 » by raysbookclub » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Wilford Brimley wrote:@JimOwczarski

In another thread, someone posted that woelful said Sloan wants to coach in a big market. ? I'm inclined to believe the small market more, he seems like that kind of guy, wearing John Deere hats in the not-Ashton-Kutcher kind of way. Sloan would really help as a good, authoritative voice which would have some respect from our myopic and muddled franchise leadership.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#80 » by step3profit » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Prediction:

Hammond decides the Spurs are a model franchise, and decides to emulate them by replacing Boylan with himself.

Bucks go on to win 3 of the next 5 World Series.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks