Poll: Where will Josh Smith land?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Where will Josh Smith play after the deadline?

Atlanta Hawks
11%
Boston Celtics
14%
Brooklyn Nets
4%
Milwaukee Bucks
20%
Philadelphia 76ers
1%
Dallas Mavericks
6%
Houston Rockets
16%
Phoenix Suns
10%
San Antonio Spurs
6%
Other
11%

Total votes: 140

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Poll: Where will Josh Smith land? 

Post#101 » by LApwnd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:07 pm

inquisitive wrote:i think smith and howard will be playing together...question will be which team? LAL, HOU, or ATL? i think smith will likely be willing to accept less since howard will get max

dont see how he can end up in LA, the cba does not allow teams $4mill over tax threshold to do a S&T and that is the only way to get Smith in LA.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#102 » by inquisitive » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 pm

LApwnd wrote:
inquisitive wrote:i think smith and howard will be playing together...question will be which team? LAL, HOU, or ATL? i think smith will likely be willing to accept less since howard will get max

dont see how he can end up in LA, the cba does not allow teams $4mill over tax threshold to do a S&T and that is the only way to get Smith in LA.

are you guys going to amnesty pau? cause that would be necessary for this to even be considered though even with amnesty lakers might still be over 4mil, but yeah, you're correct abut the S&T requirement.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#103 » by LApwnd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:28 pm

inquisitive wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

are you guys going to amnesty pau? cause that would be necessary for this to even be considered, but yeah, you're correct abut the S&T requirement.

whats the point of amenstying Pau? If we resign Howard still over both cap and tax threhold, if Howard doesn't stay still over the cap w/o Pau and in that case why would we want Smith long term in place of Pau w/o Howard?
inquisitive
RealGM

Post#104 » by inquisitive » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:30 pm

theatlfan wrote:
I've some to the conclusion that there's no way Smith will take less $$ than the max if he can bring Dwight with him. Josh doesn't think like that at all...

then i guess that would eliminate the two playing together if he feels that way.
inquisitive
RealGM

Post#105 » by inquisitive » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 pm

whats the point of amenstying Pau? If we resign Howard still over both cap and tax threhold, if Howard doesn't stay still over the cap w/o Pau and in that case why would we want Smith long term in place of Pau w/o Howard?[/quote]

then that pretty much ends that then.
why22
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#106 » by why22 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:21 pm

im hoping Colangelo gets on this. Sign and trade Terrence Ross/Linas Kleiza/Aaron Gray/John Lucas for Smith. then amnesty Andrea.

Val
Smith
Gay
Derozan
Lowry

is a stud lineup and goes neck and neck for the top 3 slot in the east
Basketball_Jones wrote:BC holding Casey accountable would go like this:

BC: so I see you played Andrea quite a bit there when he was struggling
Casey: yeah I know, we needed spacing
BC: play him more (walks away)
xpmar9x
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#107 » by xpmar9x » Tue May 7, 2013 3:04 pm

Since he wasn't traded, and hitting the open market... I'm banking on Houston to pickup J-Smoove.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#108 » by Jack wore plaid » Tue May 7, 2013 3:37 pm

I think Houston strikes out with Howard and he goes there.

As long as he doesn't come to Portland

Unrestricted, so why would Houston need to trade for him?
theatlfan
Analyst
And1: 190

Post#109 » by theatlfan » Tue May 7, 2013 3:55 pm

Still thinking that ATL is still the most likely landing spot - maybe on a 1-year deal. After that, I see DET as the most likely destination if he signs outright. The real question would be who, if anyone, looks into SNT possibilities with him - then things could get very interesting...
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,486

Post#110 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue May 7, 2013 4:03 pm

theatlfan wrote:Still thinking that ATL is still the most likely landing spot - maybe on a 1-year deal. After that, I see DET as the most likely destination if he signs outright. The real question would be who, if anyone, looks into SNT possibilities with him - then things could get very interesting...

I would be really really really shocked if he signed a 1 year deal.
lukeyrid13
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#111 » by lukeyrid13 » Tue May 7, 2013 4:03 pm

I hope no one gives him the max. He's gonna be the next Rudy Gay if he is making 16-17 mil a year.
tbhawksfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#112 » by tbhawksfan » Tue May 7, 2013 6:13 pm

I'd think Ferry could work something out with Houston with out being too greedy. Houston has some young guys like Robinson, Montiejunas, maybe Delfino as filler and a pick.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#113 » by Jack wore plaid » Tue May 7, 2013 6:14 pm

tbhawksfan wrote:I'd think Ferry could work something out with Houston with out being too greedy. Houston has some young guys like Robinson, Montiejunas, maybe Delfino as filler and a pick.

I still don't understand why Houston, or any other team, would need to deal anything to the Hawks for him?
Saul Goodman
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,355

Post#114 » by Saul Goodman » Tue May 7, 2013 6:20 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:
tbhawksfan wrote:I'd think Ferry could work something out with Houston with out being too greedy. Houston has some young guys like Robinson, Montiejunas, maybe Delfino as filler and a pick.

I still don't understand why Houston, or any other team, would need to deal anything to the Hawks for him?

I see the Hawks having a bit of leverage to deal Smith to teams who are over the cap and need to send back contracts to aquire him, or a team like Houston looking to grab multiple stars wanting to deal out any contracts impeding them from getting 2 stars such as CP3 and Smith
2016 GMAT Blazers

Howard/Nene/
Griffin/M.Leonard/T.Jones
Porter/Marc.Morris/J.Johnson
McCollum/Stauskas/Thompson/Seldon
Lillard/Bayless/DeColo
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#115 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 7, 2013 6:26 pm

I wonder if the Hawks would trade him for the last year of Gasol's deal? Might be better than losing him for nothing. Hawks would definitely be competitive next year with a Gasol-Horford front court.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
tbhawksfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#116 » by tbhawksfan » Tue May 7, 2013 6:51 pm

Don't see what the Lakers could trade
A BETTER DJ
Sixth Man
And1: 299

Post#117 » by A BETTER DJ » Tue May 7, 2013 8:02 pm

Lakers-Hawks are perfect partners in this
Hawks risk losing Smith for nothing unless they work a S&T

Lakers out Pau
Lakers in Smith and filler
Lakers pair Howard (resigned) with his buddy Smith

Hawks start Pau at center and move Horford to the 4

or

Howard S&T to the Hawks for Horford and filler and Hawks resign Smith
Top notch Wedding DJ and photographer available nationwide. RealGM members Save $200 off our regular low prices!

GO MAGIC!
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#118 » by LApwnd » Tue May 7, 2013 8:03 pm

tbhawksfan wrote:Don't see what the Lakers could trade

and we can't do S&T for Smith
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#119 » by Trader_Joe » Tue May 7, 2013 8:18 pm

If I were to sign Smith i'd play him at SF where I think he has a defensive advantage, and while he's not a shooter, he a good passer and ball handler. That being said you need a shooter at PF next to him.

Also, even though he played next to Horford and people think Horford and Smith are decent rebounders, the Hawks are a bad rebounding team and got slaughtered on the glass by Indy. More reason for him to play SF in an AK/Marion type role.

But, I'm not sure many GM's agree with me.

That said I think Dallas is an interesting option next to Dirk, with Marion backing both of them up.
Detroit might be an interesting fit along side Monroe and Drummond.
Bucks were interested and I'm assuming still are.
NOH next to Anderson and Davis would be nice.
Spurs would be able to play him next to Duncan.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 361

Post#120 » by Xman » Tue May 7, 2013 8:18 pm

JSmith will have a few teasm to pick from that are under the cap - which means no trade to those teams.
Houston has been listed as one where ATL might get a few guys - problem is that every player ATL would want could be traded to another team for picks (Asik, TRob, RWhite, TJones, Motie - and option players like Delfino - Lin might be exception talentwise but someone like Sacr owuld take him for marketing).

There might be a few teams that want him that are over the cap - that he would like - but most of those do not have the right assets. For instance - Miami/Chicago/NY - Chicago does not have players to move to match salary - Miami has no picks and ATL would not take their bad contracts - NY same.
Exception - - Brooklyn could offer up Hump and a young player that ATL likes (MBrooks and a pick).

If Houston matches or is close the best offer (not sure if Rox go max) - then I think he goes to Houston.

Houston would then need to deal if they could get CP3 or Howard. But, as mentioned above, teams would line up to get those guys at bargain prices.

Return to Trades and Transactions