ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agents Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Deivy202
Senior
And1: 9

Re: Free Agents Thread 

Post#21 » by Deivy202 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:59 pm

Nivek wrote:Webster is likely better than Childress. Bibby was pretty good, but he's washed up.

Still worth a shot no doubt. I mean how worst can we get?.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#22 » by Nivek » Tue Jan 1, 2013 5:08 pm

There is absolutely no point in bringing in a 34-year old guy who we KNOW can't play anymore. Sign a Garrett Temple. Sign a Shelvin Mack. Find some other young PG with some promise. Don't waste time finding "veterans" or "experience." Spend time trying to find guys who might play decently now, and have some possibility of playing well in the future.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#23 » by closg00 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 6:20 pm

Paging Kevin, is Daequan Cook better than Cartier Martin?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#24 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:10 pm

closg00 wrote:Paging Kevin, is Daequan Cook better than Cartier Martin?

Code: Select all

Season  MP   FGA   3PA  TRB  AST  STL  BLK  TOV  PTS  TS%  ORtg PER           
2007-08 1441 12.8  5.9  4.4  1.9  0.6  0.2  1.6  12.9 .480  93  7.9           
2008-09 1833 12.7  7.8  3.7  1.4  0.8  0.2  0.8  13.5 .512 104 10.3         
2009-10 691  13.2  6.6  4.3  2.2  0.7  0.5  1.3  11.6 .422  90  7.5           
2010-11 598  10.9  9.3  4.3  1.2  0.8  0.1  1.0  14.4 .630 122 12.8         
2011-12 989  10.8  8.3  4.4  0.5  0.8  0.4  0.6  11.3 .509 106  9.2           
2012-13 165  12.9  6.5  3.9  2.2  1.3  0.4  1.3  12.0 .456  95  8.9     

Hmmm.

He only played significant minutes in his 1st, 2nd and 5th seasons. We should probably throw out seasons 3, 4, and 6 because they were mostly garbage time numbers. Perhaps we should throw out his first 2 years as well since he was such a young player then (he joined the league at age 20).

With that in mind, his 5th season, as a role player for OKC, is probably the best approximation of what he would do in a regular role as a reserve playing meaningful minutes. His numbers aren't that good: an ORtg of 106 on low usage, a 3P% of .346, and a disconcerting FT% of .636..

I'd say Cartier Martin is better. Cook is 3 years younger than Martin, so there's that. But I don't really think SG's improve that much after 5 years in the league.
closg00
RealGM

Post#25 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Anyone for Earl Clark next-year if we don't get Webster back or their is a Singleton trade? Clark is finally getting some playing time and looks beastly.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/461 ... fKbVykvLYF
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#26 » by jivelikenice » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:01 am

Ok, if these cap savings do go towards using the MLE, who's out there? Any stretch 4s on the market this offseason?
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#27 » by AFM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:16 am

jive,
http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents/

knock yourself out brutha. Names that stand out to me: Elton Brand, Paul Millsap.

Kyle Korver is available too. :D Wouldn't mind him.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#28 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:13 pm

jivelikenice wrote:Ok, if these cap savings do go towards using the MLE, who's out there? Any stretch 4s on the market this offseason?

There are no cap savings. We were over the cap and well under the luxtax before the Crawford trade, and we are over the cap and well under the luxtax after the Crawford trade. We have the MLE available. If we wish to resign Webster, we have to use a portion of the MLE to do so, we have no Bird Rights on him.
closg00
RealGM

Post#29 » by closg00 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 1:49 pm

Aaron Brooks will sign with the Houston Rockets assuming he clears waivers as expected, according to sources.

Brooks will be eligible for the postseason.

Brooks signed a two-year, $6.6 million deal with the Kings last offseason.

Brooks was previously a member of the Rockets before a 2011 trade sent him to the Phoenix Suns for Goran Dragic.

- See more at: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... JD7gG.dpuf

How-much of an upgrade would Brooks be over Price? Brooks's modest asking price may still be too-rich for Ted.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#30 » by nate33 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 2:13 pm

Hell, Brooks might be an upgrade over Wall, at least the way Wall is playing right now.
closg00
RealGM

Post#31 » by closg00 » Sat Mar 2, 2013 2:18 pm

True Nate, true :(
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#32 » by DCZards » Sat Mar 2, 2013 7:31 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about losing out on Aaron Brooks. He's a small, shoot-first PG who is nowhere near the defender that Price is.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#33 » by jivelikenice » Sat Mar 2, 2013 7:55 pm

Brooks??..LOL. Do ppl not understand fits? Why would you want a shoot first pg who's fallen out of favor in numerous places? Why would you want a shoot first pg in general with Beal at the 2?
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#34 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 3, 2013 2:03 pm

Ok so I posted in the trade thread the idea of Ariza opting out. I am starting to think it may be likely.

If he does opt out and departs via free agency, what would that do for our cap room and ability to sign FA including Webster and Price, both of whom I'd like to keep? Also figuring a high 1st round pick and 2nd...

I'm looking a scenario like this...

Draft Porter at something like #5, and Withey at 35. Keep Webster and Price.

Okafor, Seraphin, Withey
Nene, Booker, Singleton
Porter, Webster
Beal, Temple
Wall, Price

What kind of room would we have to add to this? Is waiving Vesely an option, and if so would that provide any kind of benefit? Also I'd be interested in extending Okafor beyond next year. Could we sign him on say a 4yr contract (3 yr extension) and restructure next year's salary to open some more room?

Any capologists out there?
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#35 » by rockymac52 » Sun Mar 3, 2013 3:43 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Ok so I posted in the trade thread the idea of Ariza opting out. I am starting to think it may be likely.

If he does opt out and departs via free agency, what would that do for our cap room and ability to sign FA including Webster and Price, both of whom I'd like to keep? Also figuring a high 1st round pick and 2nd...

Okafor, Seraphin, Withey
Nene, Booker, Singleton
Porter, Webster
Beal, Temple
Wall, Price

What kind of room would we have to add to this? Is waiving Vesely an option, and if so would that provide any kind of benefit? Also I'd be interested in extending Okafor beyond next year. Could we sign him on say a 4yr contract (3 yr extension) and restructure next year's salary to open some more room?

1. Even if we extend Okafor we will not be able to alter his cap figure for next year, unfortunately. Unless he opts out of his contract by using his ETO, but there is just no way he does that, because he'd be leaving the $14.5 million he's due to make next season on the table.

2. We can choose to not exercise Vesely's team option next October, but that's only for the year afterwards (2014-15 season), so unfortunately we're stuck with him on our roster next season (we could cut him and still pay him, but that's not going to happen and would be a poor choice on our part).

3. If Ariza leaves, we'd be sitting at $49.35 million for Okafor, Nene, Wall, Beal, Vesely, Seraphin, Singleton, and Booker (8 players). The #5 pick would cost about $3.4 million next season, and the #35 pick would cost around $600K (less certainty with 2nd round picks, could be $200K more or less I believe). So add the rookies in and we're now at $53.35 million for 10 players. We could bring back Price for the vet minimum again I'm sure, at $850K, so then we'd be up to $54.2 million for 11 players. I'm not sure exactly what it would take to bring back Webster, but I'd guess it's around $3-4 million per year, so for rounding purposes, let's go with $3.8 in year one. So now we're at $58 million for 12 players. Unfortunately, $58 million also happens to be the salary cap at the moment (possibly going up $1-2 million, but not enough to matter).

So I guess if all of that happened, we would still have our MLE available, so we could sign a free agent for around $5-6 million per year for 3 or 4 years. Could theoretically get a decent contributor with that salary, but I wouldn't hold your breath. We could probably spend that on a quality PG or SG, or preferably, a combo guard (and then maybe just not bring back Price at all) to come off the bench. Off the top of my head, maybe Jarret Jack, Devin Harris, Jose Calderon, Mo Williams, Nick Young (probablyyyyy not gonna happen, but he fits the bill).

Just curious, what makes you think Ariza is going to opt out?
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#36 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun Mar 3, 2013 4:03 pm

rockymac52 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Ok so I posted in the trade thread the idea of Ariza opting out. I am starting to think it may be likely.

Okafor, Seraphin, Withey
Nene, Booker, Singleton
Porter, Webster
Beal, Temple
Wall, Price

1. Even if we extend Okafor we will not be able to alter his cap figure for next year, unfortunately. Unless he opts out of his contract by using his ETO, but there is just no way he does that, because he'd be leaving the $14.5 million he's due to make next season on the table.

2. We can choose to not exercise Vesely's team option next October, but that's only for the year afterwards (2014-15 season), so unfortunately we're stuck with him on our roster next season (we could cut him and still pay him, but that's not going to happen and would be a poor choice on our part).

3. If Ariza leaves, we'd be sitting at $49.35 million for Okafor, Nene, Wall, Beal, Vesely, Seraphin, Singleton, and Booker (8 players). The #5 pick would cost about $3.4 million next season, and the #35 pick would cost around $600K (less certainty with 2nd round picks, could be $200K more or less I believe). So add the rookies in and we're now at $53.35 million for 10 players. We could bring back Price for the vet minimum again I'm sure, at $850K, so then we'd be up to $54.2 million for 11 players. I'm not sure exactly what it would take to bring back Webster, but I'd guess it's around $3-4 million per year, so for rounding purposes, let's go with $3.8 in year one. So now we're at $58 million for 12 players. Unfortunately, $58 million also happens to be the salary cap at the moment (possibly going up $1-2 million, but not enough to matter).

So I guess if all of that happened, we would still have our MLE available, so we could sign a free agent for around $5-6 million per year for 3 or 4 years. Could theoretically get a decent contributor with that salary, but I wouldn't hold your breath. We could probably spend that on a quality PG or SG, or preferably, a combo guard (and then maybe just not bring back Price at all) to come off the bench. Off the top of my head, maybe Jarret Jack, Devin Harris, Jose Calderon, Mo Williams, Nick Young (probablyyyyy not gonna happen, but he fits the bill).

Thanks Rock, great info!

Well, as far as Ariza, looking at salaries around the league Ariza doesn't really seem overpaid IMO looking at comparable players. If he stays he's on a 1 yr deal. What if he gets seriously hurt, his long term security is jeopardized. Also, the Wizards already tried to trade him. If he stays, he very possibly will get dealt, and with no control over the situation possibly to a place he really doesn't want to go. Especially if the Wizards draft a SF like Porter.

Just seems to me, not that he's having a good year, but he's healthy and playing well, still in his prime. He should be able to sign a long term deal as a free agent that would secure his future in a place of his choosing with minimal negative impact on his salary next year.

But if I'm wrong, looking at what you got... seems if he stays we got zero to work with. Looks like keeping Webster would be very unlikely.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#37 » by rockymac52 » Sun Mar 3, 2013 4:21 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
rockymac52 wrote:

Okafor, Seraphin, Withey
Nene, Booker, Singleton
Porter, Webster
Beal, Temple
Wall, Price

Thanks Rock, great info!

Well, as far as Ariza, looking at salaries around the league Ariza doesn't really seem overpaid IMO looking at comparable players. If he stays he's on a 1 yr deal. What if he gets seriously hurt, his long term security is jeopardized. Also, the Wizards already tried to trade him. If he stays, he very possibly will get dealt, and with no control over the situation possibly to a place he really doesn't want to go. Especially if the Wizards draft a SF like Porter.

Just seems to me, not that he's having a good year, but he's healthy and playing well, still in his prime. He should be able to sign a long term deal as a free agent that would secure his future in a place of his choosing with minimal negative impact on his salary next year.

But if I'm wrong, looking at what you got... seems if he stays we got zero to work with. Looks like keeping Webster would be very unlikely.

I see your logic. I'm more inclined to think what nate said in another thread about this, in that Ariza will "tough out" this last year of his deal, then take a 3 or 4 year MLE deal and get paid about $5 million per year, so $15-20 million total. I don't think he's playing scared at this point in his career, worrying about a career ending or altering injury. If that happens, God forbid, then the reality is Ariza's been in the league on a solid contract for long enough that he should have enough money to last him the rest of his life (although, obviously, with athletes and NBA players in particular, you never know how good they've been at saving their money).
closg00
RealGM

Post#38 » by closg00 » Sun Mar 3, 2013 8:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXeYAA0dnfk[/youtube]

Selby has been released, he tore sh*t up during the summer and still hasn't really gotten a chance. Looks-like he can do a lot of things that John can't do. 10-day contract please.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#39 » by AFM » Sun Mar 3, 2013 10:43 pm

Dude is a straight up baller. Ernie get on it
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#40 » by GhostsOfGil » Mon Mar 4, 2013 2:43 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCvz-OPfmJQ[/youtube]