ImageImageImageImage

Where does Vooch rank among all centers in the NBA?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Re: Where does Vooch rank among all centers in the NBA? 

Post#41 » by OrlDave » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 pm

I liked this line in that article... "As a non-athlete, Vucevic relies on solid positioning and his tremendous length (7-5 wingspan) to suck up errant shots"

What that means is that when Vuc is 35 (barring injury of course), he can still be scooping up rebounds because he isn't relying on a diminishing skill set to get them. Positioning is mostly mental and that usually gets better with age and wingspan shouldn't change much. Makes me think of Arvydas Sabonis who played in the NBA till 40 and then played a few years after for Lithuania. All of this is moot if we don't keep him, of course.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#42 » by drsd » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:08 am

OrlDave wrote:Makes me think of Arvydas Sabonis who played in the NBA till 40 and then played a few years after for Lithuania. All of this is moot if we don't keep him, of course.

He and Charles Barkley also used girth to push players out of the way and hold position. Vučević needs to hit the gym hard in the coming off season. He needs another 10 pounds, and his limited shoulder width keeps him from becoming an imposing weight. But if Vučević can start to develop Kevin Love's approach to his body and rebounding, Vučević could easily develop as his generations best rebounding Center. That will make up for what will likely be a career of below-average team defense.

SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#43 » by SmiteaDwight » Thu Mar 7, 2013 7:29 am

I figured I'd bring this question back after 3 months of 13 and 13...
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#44 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Thu Mar 7, 2013 7:59 am

He's a better CENTER than Bosh, thats for sure
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
And1: 203

Post#45 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Thu Mar 7, 2013 8:03 am

I would say somewhere between 10-15
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,114

Post#46 » by Def Swami » Thu Mar 7, 2013 5:05 pm

SmiteaDwight wrote:I figured I'd bring this question back after 3 months of 13 and 13...

Top 8-10

1. D. Howard
2. M. Gasol
3. J. Noah
4. T. Chandler
5. B. Lopez
6. A. Jefferson
7. N. Pekovic
8. N. Vucevic
9. R. Hibbert
10. L. Sanders

7-10 is variable.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#47 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Mar 7, 2013 5:15 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:I figured I'd bring this question back after 3 months of 13 and 13...

Top 8-10

1. D. Howard
2. M. Gasol
3. J. Noah
4. T. Chandler
5. B. Lopez
6. A. Jefferson
7. N. Pekovic
8. N. Vucevic
9. R. Hibbert
10. L. Sanders

7-10 is variable.

Like it or not, these guys are centers too... Horford, Bosh, Garnett, Duncan, Koufos, Greg Monroe, Cousins, Deandre Jordan. Plus I probably take Hibbert and Sanders over Vucevic just because of their defensive impact even though Sanders doesn't play enough. that 14-17 range is pretty much where he belongs.

No one asked, but Howard, Gasol, Brook, Duncan, Noah, Chandler, KG, Bosh, Pek, Cousins, Horford, Hibbert, Monroe, Vucevic, Jordan, Sanders
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#48 » by Last Guardian » Thu Mar 7, 2013 5:46 pm

He just isn't good at the one thing you want from your center...interior defense. But he is a great offensive player. He can shoot, decent post game (hopefully continues to develop), amazing touch around the basket and not a bad passer either. And obivously he can rebound the hell out of the ball. Any semblance of defensive improvement and he probably a top 5 center next season.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Mar 7, 2013 5:54 pm

Last Guardian wrote:He just isn't good at the one thing you want from your center...interior defense. But he is a great offensive player. He can shoot, decent post game (hopefully continues to develop), amazing touch around the basket and not a bad passer either. And obivously he can rebound the hell out of the ball. Any semblance of defensive improvement and he probably a top 5 center next season.

The one thing I notice from his highlights last night is that most of the time there is no reason to guard him in the high screen and roll because are guard don't make that pass. For the most part the Heat were sending both guys to trap the ball handler, he tries to dribble around it instead of passing to a wide open Vucevic and then Vucevic ends up getting a secondary pass or an offensive rebound. Plus, we NEVER just pass him the ball in the deep post, it's always around the 18 foot mark for an open jumper. Sigh.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80v6P-SDXdw[/youtube]
ilikebeer
Senior
And1: 18

Post#50 » by ilikebeer » Thu Mar 7, 2013 6:36 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:enters too... Horford, Bosh, Garnett, Duncan, Koufos, Greg Monroe, Cousins, Deandre Jordan. Plus I probably take Hibbert and Sanders over Vucevic just because of their defensive impact even though Sanders doesn't play enough. that 14-17 range is pretty much where he belongs.

No one asked, but Howard, Gasol, Brook, Duncan, Noah, Chandler, KG, Bosh, Pek, Cousins, Horford, Hibbert, Monroe, Vucevic, Jordan, Sanders

You have to look at basketball for what it is. 50% of the time you are on offense, 50% of the time you are on defense.

On offense, Vucevic is a top ten center. On defense, he is one of the worst centers in the NBA. All the analysts say it's harder for young players to initially learn to play effective NBA defense. Vucevic should continue to improve on defense. If he can ever become a top 10 defender, he will be one of the best centers in the league.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 837

Post#51 » by I Rasharted » Thu Mar 7, 2013 6:49 pm

ilikebeer wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:enters too... Horford, Bosh, Garnett, Duncan, Koufos, Greg Monroe, Cousins, Deandre Jordan. Plus I probably take Hibbert and Sanders over Vucevic just because of their defensive impact even though Sanders doesn't play enough. that 14-17 range is pretty much where he belongs.

You have to look at basketball for what it is. 50% of the time you are on offense, 50% of the time you are on defense.

On offense, Vucevic is a top ten center. On defense, he is one of the worst centers in the NBA. All the analysts say it's harder for young players to initially learn to play effective NBA defense. Vucevic should continue to improve on defense. If he can ever become a top 10 defender, he will be one of the best centers in the league.

This. I love Vooch, but he's gotta work on his D. It's beyond awful right now. I think he can get better, though.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#52 » by OrlandoMagician » Thu Mar 7, 2013 7:21 pm

Agree with most people's sentiments:

- Great rebounder
- Very good offensive arsenal
- Hopefully will develop his post-game further
- Poor defender ---> improve his defensive game (bulk up a bit maybe) and he's top 5
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Mar 7, 2013 7:41 pm

OrlandoMagician wrote:Agree with most people's sentiments:

- Great rebounder
- Poor defender ---> improve his defensive game (bulk up a bit maybe) and he's top 5

Instead of trying to rank him, let's just say he's a good you player who's steadily improving but still has a lot to show us. Would I give today's Vucevic a max deal? No. Do I expect Vucevic him to eventually be more than a great rebounder who scores on jumpers and put backs? Of course. Great game last night.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#54 » by MellowRose » Thu Mar 7, 2013 8:52 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:

- Great rebounder

Instead of trying to rank him, let's just say he's a good you player who's steadily improving but still has a lot to show us. Would I give today's Vucevic a max deal? No. Do I expect Vucevic him to eventually be more than a great rebounder who scores on jumpers and put backs? Of course. Great game last night.

Do you expect to be giving Vuc a max contract in 4-5 years?
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,139

Post#55 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Mar 7, 2013 9:03 pm

Howard, M. Gasol, Noah, B. Lopez, Al Jeff, Pek, Horford, Bosh, Garnett, Duncan, Monroe, Cousins

Are all better than Vuc on offense right now, no debate. Then there is other guys not listed more around his level that are debatable. But Vuc is only a 2nd yr player give him some time
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#56 » by Javanar » Fri Mar 8, 2013 12:55 am

I do not really care about how people rate him. I want to see him getting 10+ pts and 15+ rebs each game.
I am not a native English speaker...
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#57 » by OrlandO » Fri Mar 8, 2013 1:15 am

How about we compare him to all centers when they were 22 years old?
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#58 » by Horcy » Fri Mar 8, 2013 9:53 am

Man, karma really exist. We send Dwight Coward and we receive a heck of a center in Nikola. We should thank Henningham for it. I'm freaking happy o have him here. Beside his game I like him as a person, he seems to be a good guy and he has the potential to be a top 5 center for the next 8/10 years.

MellowRose wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:

- Great rebounder

Do you expect to be giving Vuc a max contract in 4-5 years?

I guess if nothing strange happen, if he continues this incredible improvement we'll have to. And I'd be glad to give him a max contract in 4-5 years. His current contract (with 2 year team option in 2014/15) is a bargain 8-)

If you want to retain a good Center in this league, you must pay :D
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#59 » by p0peye » Fri Mar 8, 2013 11:22 pm

Waching that highlights from game vs Heat, his smooth jumper and passing reminds me of young Vlade Divac. Don't laugh, it's true.

Return to Orlando Magic