ImageImageImageImageImage

Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

IS IT TIME TO FIRE ERNIE GRUNFELD?

1) Yes, I believe it is time for EG to go now.
69%
2) Ted should let him go at the end of the season.
21%
3) No, Ted needs to give him more time..(DESPITE THE FACT ERNIE HAS BEEN GM SINCE 2003)
10%

Total votes: 42

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Re: Countdown to Ernie Grunfeld Firing 

Post#441 » by closg00 » Wed Mar 6, 2013 12:52 pm

Former Washington Wizards coach, current ESPN analyst and potential future Minnesota Timberwolves GM Flip Saunderswas on ESPN 980 the other day, and he told Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro that he was vocal with Ted Leonsis about the need to "clean out some of that knucklehead." A transcript, via DC Sports Bog:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/3/5/ ... nucklehead

Flip went to Ted because he knew Ernie to be an imbecile? Flip politely bitch-slaps Ernie for not suspending Blatche when he refused to re-enter a game after Flip ripped him. Grunfeld "management"
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#442 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 6, 2013 1:45 pm

^^^
And yet... this is an awfully slow "countdown" I'm sorry to say.

Ted is happy. He's building and marketing Monumental Sports; the Wizards contending for a championship isn't a big part of that. He's satisfied if we play .500 ball. And this is i3 years after a teardown/rebuild. And having the first, sixth and third picks in successive drafts. Plus several other round 1 (and a very high round 2) picks.

Worse yet... maybe fans will be happy too. And there are even people happy here.

After all, Okafor and Ariza are playing well. Sharp-eyed Ernie picked up Webster as a bargain. Temple is a bargain off a D-League roster. Etc.

Pay no attention to the fact that this guy has never, in 10 years, built a sustainable good team. His moves have given Ted a narrative that works for presenting Monumental Sports. Who needs to excel?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#443 » by Upper Decker » Wed Mar 6, 2013 5:28 pm

payitforward wrote:^^^

Ted is happy. He's building and marketing Monumental Sports; the Wizards contending for a championship isn't a big part of that. He's satisfied if we play .500 ball. And this is i3 years after a teardown/rebuild. And having the first, sixth and third picks in successive drafts. Plus several other round 1 (and a very high round 2) picks.

Worse yet... maybe fans will be happy too. And there are even people happy here.

After all, Okafor and Ariza are playing well. Sharp-eyed Ernie picked up Webster as a bargain. Temple is a bargain off a D-League roster. Etc.

Pay no attention to the fact that this guy has never, in 10 years, built a sustainable good team. His moves have given Ted a narrative that works for presenting Monumental Sports. Who needs to excel?

This is it right here. Ted has no intentions of winning anything serious. He's not a fan, he's a business man. The NBA is designed for owners to roll in money hand over fist if they don't pay the lux tax even if the team stinks. Why go through the effort to make a winner when your pockets are getting fat playing .300 ball?

The largest controlled costs for owners are coaching staff and GM. Which explains why EG and Wittman are the GM and coach. Both stink, and have no marketable demand. I'm certain Ted low balled them and said take it or leave it, but you ain't getting anything from anyone else.

Teds real 5 point plan for success.
1) Keep costs at a minimum,
2) roll in the money,
3) spray tan it up,
4) sit court side looking like Jabba the Ted,
5) make excuses until you're blue in the face.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#444 » by sfam » Wed Mar 6, 2013 5:34 pm

Upper Decker wrote:

This is it right here. Ted has no intentions of winning anything serious. He's not a fan, he's a business man. The NBA is designed for owners to roll in money hand over fist if they don't pay the lux tax even if the team stinks. Why go through the effort to make a winner when your pockets are getting fat playing .300 ball?

The largest controlled costs for owners are coaching staff and GM. Which explains why EG and Wittman are the GM and coach. Both stink, and have no marketable demand. I'm certain Ted low balled them and said take it or leave it, but you ain't getting anything from anyone else.

2) roll in the money,
3) spray tan it up,

Sorry, I don't buy that. Its a fine position to take to say Ted is making monumentally bad decisions to create championship teams, but I think impugning his integrity to say he doesn't care about winning is a stretch too far. Clearly there are very few people who think EG deserves a job past this Thursday. But that Ted somehow does indicates he has a tendency to keep crappy sports management people in place (on all his teams) far longer than he should. In retrospect, perhaps this shouldn't be so surprising considering he learned sports management under Abe Pollin. But I still think Ted wants a championship as much as any owner does.

Hopefully Ted can turn around Groupon so he'll get more Wizards bucks to play with.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,148

Post#445 » by AFM » Wed Mar 6, 2013 5:43 pm

Upper Decker wrote:

2) roll in the money,
3) spray tan it up,

:lol: :lol:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#446 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 8, 2013 1:00 pm

If you want to see how a real GM works, look at what Darryl Morey has done since last season. He had a slightly above average team last year that was going nowhere in its future.

He turned inside out to try to get Howard and failed. Yet, he has created a winner, a better team, a younger team, and a team that costs less money.

Know how many players are on the Rockets who were on the team last year. Well, Greg Smith is still there -- an undrafted bargain big. And Chandler Parsons, a brilliant round 2 pick.

That's it. No one else from last year still on the Rockets squad. Gee... I guess "continuity" isn't really all that important, huh?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#447 » by leswizards » Fri Mar 8, 2013 1:55 pm

Ted Leonsis has said having the second or third worst record in the NBA this season is unacceptable. If the Wizards finish with the second or third worst record, does EG get fired. If so, it is another reason to root for the tank.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,148

Post#448 » by AFM » Fri Mar 8, 2013 2:19 pm

Imagine what these boards will look like the day Ernie gets fired
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#449 » by Nivek » Fri Mar 8, 2013 2:32 pm

leswizards wrote:Ted Leonsis has said having the second or third worst record in the NBA this season is unacceptable. If the Wizards finish with the second or third worst record, does EG get fired. If so, it is another reason to root for the tank.

If Ted has made not having the 2nd or 3rd worst record a condition of Grunfeld's continued employment, The Tank will not happen. Grunfeld's job would be riding on not tanking, as would Randy Wittman's. I can't imagine Troy Weaver taking over as GM and choosing to keep Wittman as the coach.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#450 » by FAH1223 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 3:28 pm

Nivek wrote:
leswizards wrote:Ted Leonsis has said having the second or third worst record in the NBA this season is unacceptable. If the Wizards finish with the second or third worst record, does EG get fired. If so, it is another reason to root for the tank.

If Ted has made not having the 2nd or 3rd worst record a condition of Grunfeld's continued employment, The Tank will not happen. Grunfeld's job would be riding on not tanking, as would Randy Wittman's. I can't imagine Troy Weaver taking over as GM and choosing to keep Wittman as the coach.

they don't have to tank. despite going 15-12 or whatever since Wall came back, they are still the 3rd worst team in the league.

Wall will keep turning it over. Nene will play hurt. Beal will be sidelined. The crappy draft picks on the bench will continue to be...crappy. And we'll be fine. They'll lose games without even having to mess up the rotation.

I hope they can lose 5 or 6 straight right now.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#451 » by closg00 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 5:26 pm

Just heard that the Wiz have the NBA's worst road-win record.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#452 » by payitforward » Fri Mar 8, 2013 5:47 pm

More recently, Ted has trotted out the injury excuse for our bad record through 33 games (5-28) and he said that if we "play .500 ball the rest of the season" (from when Wall came back), he'd be satisfied.

That's 30 wins -- go 11-12 the rest of the year and be home free.

We are now almost exactly 3 years from when management completely broke up the previous team and started over. In 3 years, it's acceptable FO performance to climb all the way back to 30 wins. To be a .500 team. That's the performance level he demands of his GM.

Going forward, we'd have $57m+ tied up in 9 players of that sterling .500 team:

Two are well into their 30s and clearly heading for decline (one, Nene, seemingly unable to play through a season or average 30 minutes a game).

Three show strong signs of becoming below average NBA players at best (Kevin, Chris, Jan).

One (Booker) is solid but injury prone (hasn't played even 1500 minutes in any of 3 seasons).

Ariza is an above average journeyman. Wall is an enormous question mark who certainly hasn't lived up to being a #1 pick in now his 3d season -- maybe, overall, he's a middle of the pack starter?

And... one outstanding young player in Bradley Beal.

Great, huh?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#453 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:17 pm

payitforward wrote:We are now almost exactly 3 years from when management completely broke up the previous team and started over. In 3 years, it's acceptable FO performance to climb all the way back to 30 wins. To be a .500 team. That's the performance level he demands of his GM.

The expectations are to be a .500 team only when fully healthy? That's sad. They don't seem to get that in real life, the ".500" teams are actually .600 teams when healthy but suffer the usual injuries that come with being an NBA team. You don't see Chicago slumming in the lottery just because Rose missed the season, or Boston throwing in the towel when Rondo got hurt.

The expectations are way too low. This team has two quality big men, a #1 overall pick in his 3rd season, and a $58M payroll. They should be aiming much higher. They suck because there is no depth on this team thanks to 4 years of botched draft picks.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#454 » by WizarDynasty » Fri Mar 8, 2013 6:20 pm

This is definitely the team i have always envisioned since the i piggy back the concept of dynasty from a bulls fan a decade ago. Two way players at all positions. This team can battle with anyone. Trevor Ariza was the hardest piece to find and the only problem is that its going to be extremely difficult to keep him.
Wall--the point guard i always envisioned.
Beal definitely the shooting guard i envisioned
Ariza the perfect shooting guard especially since his handle has improved this season.
Nene--the perfect powerforward.
Okafor--light years ahead of what we got from Haywood.

We got a powerful agile big future banger in seraphin, webster three ball and some defense. This team seems to fit the blue print i set out to a perfect tee.
We got the san antonio coach to change the culture.

Now all we need to do is wait and let the soup marinate on slow cooker until the flavor becomes legendary. Only problem is keeping the pieces together...most important holding on to Ariza even though he wants to go the west coast with his family understandable.

if this trio was kept together for three years, there is no way we aren't top 3 in the eastern conference. Ted and
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#455 » by montestewart » Fri Mar 8, 2013 7:00 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:This is definitely the team i have always envisioned since the i piggy back the concept of dynasty from a bulls fan a decade ago. Two way players at all positions. This team can battle with anyone. Trevor Ariza was the hardest piece to find and the only problem is that its going to be extremely difficult to keep him.
Wall--the point guard i always envisioned.
Beal definitely the shooting guard i envisioned
Ariza the perfect shooting guard especially since his handle has improved this season.
Nene--the perfect powerforward.
Okafor--light years ahead of what we got from Haywood.

We got a powerful agile big future banger in seraphin, webster three ball and some defense. This team seems to fit the blue print i set out to a perfect tee.
We got the san antonio coach to change the culture.

Now all we need to do is wait and let the soup marinate on slow cooker until the flavor becomes legendary. Only problem is keeping the pieces together...most important holding on to Ariza even though he wants to go the west coast with his family understandable.

if this trio was kept together for three years, there is no way we aren't top 3 in the eastern conference. Ted and

Can't get past the comparison to the Bulls dynasty. Letting "soup marinate" is a good metaphor. EG needs to reread his cookbook.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#456 » by sashae » Fri Mar 8, 2013 7:38 pm

Love it. Bill Simmons' "The Worst Contracts in the NBA" column is rife with Ernie Specials. To wit:

Andray Blatche (Washington: three years, $23.4 million)
Blatche signed a three-year, $23.4 million extension in September of 2010 that didn't kick in until the 2012-13 season. They amnestied him last summer. Hold on, I'll let you do the math. (Waiting.) Did you figure it out? Yup, Blatche's extension was such a mistake that the Wizards ended up amnestying it before it even started! Ted Leonsis and Ernie Grunfeld are like Bizarro Jerry Buss and Bizarro Jerry West.

Emeka Okafor (two years, $28.1 million): Since December 22, he's averaging 11.3 points and 11.3 rebounds, playing solid defense and doing the whole "I'm a stellar guy to have in the locker room, unlike just about everyone you had on this team since 2007" thing. Dwight Howard's stats since December 22: 14.2 points and 12.1 rebounds. Remember when I wrote during 2004's Draft Diary that Orlando should take Okafor over Howard? I'm still alive!!!! YOU CAN DO IT, EMEKA!!!!

29. Nene: four years, $52 million
28. JaVale McGee: four years, $44 million
27. DeAndre Jordan: three years, $33 million

The Nuggets are paying McGee $11 million a year to play 18.7 minutes a game. Not a misprint. And Nene is somehow playing 27 minutes a night in D.C. without averaging 13 points, seven rebounds or one block per game, or shooting 50 percent, which actually seems impossible — I kept staring at these numbers thinking I had a cataract or something. Nobody won that Nene-McGee trade. It was like the Richard Sherman–Skip Bayless fight on First Take — everyone lost. As for Jordan, if you're making eight figures a year, but your coach only plays you half the game and sits you in crunch time for The Artist Formerly Known As Lamar Odom — someone who should NEVER be playing crunch time for any contender that's allegedly trying to win a title — then you're on the list. Sorry.

...and my favorite:

20. Jan Vesely: four years, $17.3 million
Vesely brought a hot girlfriend to the 2011 draft, and since then, it's been one long bungee jump that won't end. Six things you might not know/remember about the Janster:

1. He already has 23 DNPs this season.

2. He has nearly as many fouls (86) as points (94).

3. Repeat: He has nearly as many fouls as points.

4. The Wizards owe him $3.5 million next season, but after that, they can bail from the last two years and $10.5 million of his deal — something that's only happened three other times in the past 10 drafts (Jonny Flynn, Hasheem Thabeet and Shelden Williams).10

5. He's 328th in PER right now, six away from last place.

6. I know only one Wizards fan — my buddy House, who says that the Vesely pick makes him feel the same way he did when Cousin Sal was throwing up fried food in House Eats 3, and that as bad as Vesely's numbers are, it's even worse when you're watching him. Says House, "He can't play basketball. You don't need to say anything else."

The moral of the story: Maybe that isn't a disastrous contract, but when you throw in the real estate (no. 6), the wasted money (not overwhelming, but still), the stench of bad luck/bad management (not only did the Wiz land the only no. 1 overall pick from 2008 through 2011 that wasn't Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin or Kyrie Irving, they ended up with zilch from the 2009 and 2011 drafts despite landing the fifth and sixth picks), and the constant game-after-game reminder that you totally screwed up … it's more than a little atrocious.

FY-ER ER-KNEE
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#457 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:14 pm

Actually, the Wizards made out pretty well in that article, usually they fare much worse. Okafor didn't even make the list of "the 30 most atrocious contracts". He was just in the "productive but overpaid" category (as was Ariza).

Blatche was obviously a colossal mistake, but we amnestied him so, bygones.

The only players on our roster that made the list were Nene (who just barely made the list) and Vesely (who is a total deadweight contract, but with only 1 year, $4M left if the Wizards are smart enough to decline his 4th year). I would hardly call a $4M expiring contract one of the worst in the NBA. Simmons put him in there mostly to make fun at EG's drafting, not really for the financial implications of the contract itself.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#458 » by Knighthonor » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:26 pm

I saw this thread and saw the part about EG fired in title and got excited until I read the countdown part and realized its the same thread from before. :-(
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#459 » by Knighthonor » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:31 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:We are now almost exactly 3 years from when management completely broke up the previous team and started over. In 3 years, it's acceptable FO performance to climb all the way back to 30 wins. To be a .500 team. That's the performance level he demands of his GM.

The expectations are to be a .500 team only when fully healthy? That's sad. They don't seem to get that in real life, the ".500" teams are actually .600 teams when healthy but suffer the usual injuries that come with being an NBA team. You don't see Chicago slumming in the lottery just because Rose missed the season, or Boston throwing in the towel when Rondo got hurt.

The expectations are way too low. This team has two quality big men, a #1 overall pick in his 3rd season, and a $58M payroll. They should be aiming much higher. They suck because there is no depth on this team thanks to 4 years of botched draft picks.

No but did the Bulls have their team gutted like the Wizards did following Gil injury and his return which lead to the gun situation...
Everybody from that era is gone. Totally gutted. A bulls team would be in shambles like the Wizards/Cats if that were to happen.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man

Post#460 » by Knighthonor » Fri Mar 8, 2013 8:34 pm

sashae wrote:Love it. Bill Simmons' "The Worst Contracts in the NBA" column is rife with Ernie Specials. To wit:

Andray Blatche (Washington: three years, $23.4 million)
Blatche signed a three-year, $23.4 million extension in September of 2010 that didn't kick in until the 2012-13 season. They amnestied him last summer. Hold on, I'll let you do the math. (Waiting.) Did you figure it out? Yup, Blatche's extension was such a mistake that the Wizards ended up amnestying it before it even started! Ted Leonsis and Ernie Grunfeld are like Bizarro Jerry Buss and Bizarro Jerry West.

Emeka Okafor (two years, $28.1 million): Since December 22, he's averaging 11.3 points and 11.3 rebounds, playing solid defense and doing the whole "I'm a stellar guy to have in the locker room, unlike just about everyone you had on this team since 2007" thing. Dwight Howard's stats since December 22: 14.2 points and 12.1 rebounds. Remember when I wrote during 2004's Draft Diary that Orlando should take Okafor over Howard? I'm still alive!!!! YOU CAN DO IT, EMEKA!!!!

29. Nene: four years, $52 million
28. JaVale McGee: four years, $44 million
27. DeAndre Jordan: three years, $33 million

The Nuggets are paying McGee $11 million a year to play 18.7 minutes a game. Not a misprint. And Nene is somehow playing 27 minutes a night in D.C. without averaging 13 points, seven rebounds or one block per game, or shooting 50 percent, which actually seems impossible — I kept staring at these numbers thinking I had a cataract or something. Nobody won that Nene-McGee trade. It was like the Richard Sherman–Skip Bayless fight on First Take — everyone lost. As for Jordan, if you're making eight figures a year, but your coach only plays you half the game and sits you in crunch time for The Artist Formerly Known As Lamar Odom — someone who should NEVER be playing crunch time for any contender that's allegedly trying to win a title — then you're on the list. Sorry.

...and my favorite:

20. Jan Vesely: four years, $17.3 million
Vesely brought a hot girlfriend to the 2011 draft, and since then, it's been one long bungee jump that won't end. Six things you might not know/remember about the Janster:

1. He already has 23 DNPs this season.

2. He has nearly as many fouls (86) as points (94).

3. Repeat: He has nearly as many fouls as points.

4. The Wizards owe him $3.5 million next season, but after that, they can bail from the last two years and $10.5 million of his deal — something that's only happened three other times in the past 10 drafts (Jonny Flynn, Hasheem Thabeet and Shelden Williams).10

5. He's 328th in PER right now, six away from last place.

6. I know only one Wizards fan — my buddy House, who says that the Vesely pick makes him feel the same way he did when Cousin Sal was throwing up fried food in House Eats 3, and that as bad as Vesely's numbers are, it's even worse when you're watching him. Says House, "He can't play basketball. You don't need to say anything else."

The moral of the story: Maybe that isn't a disastrous contract, but when you throw in the real estate (no. 6), the wasted money (not overwhelming, but still), the stench of bad luck/bad management (not only did the Wiz land the only no. 1 overall pick from 2008 through 2011 that wasn't Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin or Kyrie Irving, they ended up with zilch from the 2009 and 2011 drafts despite landing the fifth and sixth picks), and the constant game-after-game reminder that you totally screwed up … it's more than a little atrocious.

FY-ER ER-KNEE

Well to address that last quote. EG did manage to draft Beal. As a number 3 option, he should have been rookie of the month but some reason wasn't. Beal is a beast, and great pick. He keeps improving like this he will be an all star. What you all have to say about that?

Return to Washington Wizards