LA Lakers Off-Season Revamp...

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

LA Lakers Off-Season Revamp... 

Post#1 » by pja123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

Move 1:
Fire Mike D'Antoni
why?
Obvious.

Move 2:
Hire Bernie Bickerstaff
why?
For a brief period, the Lakers played well in the simplified offense that Bickerstaff utilized. Plus, he'll probably take a cheap deal, which is important considering they're still on the hook for both Mike Brown and D'Antoni.

Move 3 (trade between LA & Toronto):
Lakers get:
Andrea Bargnani

Raptors get:
Steve Nash

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE LAKERS:
They get a perimeter-oriented 4 to compliment Howard. Bargnani would be an ideal fit next to Dwight and would finally get to play extended minutes at his natural PF position.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE RAPS:
They pushed hard to get Nash last summer and if they can land him without giving up Lowry, Gay, or another core piece, I think they do it.

Move 4 (trade between LA, Brooklyn, & Detroit):
Lakers get:
Rodney Stuckey
Kris Humphries
Mirzan Teletovic

Nets get:
Pau Gasol
Kim English

Pistons get:
Marshon Brooks
Steve Blake

They part ways with the unhappy Gasol and get back a better backcourt fit for Kobe in Stuckey. Obviously, Stuckey isn't a pure PG like Nash, but the Lakers don't really need a traditional PG since they have a ball-dominant guard like Kobe. This move also ensures the Lakers still have plenty of cap space in 2014.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE NETS:
A frontcourt combo of Lopez and Gasol would be pretty formidable in the East. Best of all, they don't give up any core players.

WHY IT COULD WORK FOR THE PISTONS:
Stuckey hasn't really fit in the Pistons new system. They part ways with him and get back a prospect in Brooks and a solid role player in Blake (he could replace Bynum as the backup PG).

Move 5:
Extend Dwight for max.
why?
Obvious, he's going to be the cornerstone.

Move 6:
Sign Kyle Korver using the team's mini mid-level exception, sign Matt Barnes, Nate Robinson, and DeDaun Cook to league minimum deals.

Move 7:
Amnesty Meta World Peace.

NEW LAKERS ROSTER:
PG-Rodney Stuckey/Nate Robinson/Chris Duhon
SG-Kobe Bryant/DeQuan Cook
SF-Kyle Korver/Matt Barnes
PF-Andrea Bargnani/Kris Humphries/Mirzan Teletovic
C-Dwight Howard/Jordan Hill
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Re: LA Lakers Off-Season Revamp... 

Post#2 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:45 pm

I think Lakers would pass on Bargs trade. Wouldn't want his extra contract year and he has been terrible. Gasol trade makes a lot of sense though. Cut money while getting depth.
pja123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11

Post#3 » by pja123 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 pm

I thought Nash's deal is the same length as Bargs' contract, or is the final year a team option?
kobe_vs_jordan
General Manager
And1: 4,476

Post#4 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:03 pm

It is but he is likely to retire before then. He is 39 now and actually worth his contract. While Teletovic could provide what Bargs gives at a fraction of the cost.

Wouldn't mind seeing Stuckey as the 6th man. When Nash and Kobe is out he can just focus on scoring and defending. Would be a nice boost to the bench. Not sure how happy he would be with a back up role though.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#5 » by Golabki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 pm

"PF-Andrea Bargnani/Kris Humphries/Mirzan Teletovic"

Seems like you forgot about Clark... who is probably better than all these guys.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#6 » by Jajwanda » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Trade Gasol for pure cap space plus a pick, re-sign Clark, sign a SG/SF for the MME, draft a backup PG, amnesty Blake, cut Duhon, and enjoy the results.

Also move MWP to PF to replace Jamison's spot in the rotation.

PF- Clark, MWP
C- Howard, Hill
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,328

Post#7 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:26 pm

you arent getting Korver for that price and as well as Nate and Barnes have played this year likely not them either. I know their history hurts them but I could see them doing better than a 1-year vet deal coming off the season both guys have had. Way too optimistic about your FA signings. Some of the bloom is off that rose atm.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Kobe System
Lead Assistant
And1: 449

Post#8 » by Kobe System » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:48 pm

pja123 wrote:Move 1:
Fire Mike D'Antoni
why?
Obvious.

Move 2:
Hire Bernie Bickerstaff
why?
For a brief period, the Lakers played well in the simplified offense that Bickerstaff utilized. Plus, he'll probably take a cheap deal, which is important considering they're still on the hook for both Mike Brown and D'Antoni.

Lakers get:
Andrea Bargnani

Raptors get:
Steve Nash

They get a perimeter-oriented 4 to compliment Howard. Bargnani would be an ideal fit next to Dwight and would finally get to play extended minutes at his natural PF position.

They pushed hard to get Nash last summer and if they can land him without giving up Lowry, Gay, or another core piece, I think they do it.

Lakers get:
Rodney Stuckey
Kris Humphries
Mirzan Teletovic

Nets get:
Pau Gasol
Kim English

Pistons get:
Marshon Brooks
Steve Blake

They part ways with the unhappy Gasol and get back a better backcourt fit for Kobe in Stuckey. Obviously, Stuckey isn't a pure PG like Nash, but the Lakers don't really need a traditional PG since they have a ball-dominant guard like Kobe. This move also ensures the Lakers still have plenty of cap space in 2014.

A frontcourt combo of Lopez and Gasol would be pretty formidable in the East. Best of all, they don't give up any core players.

Stuckey hasn't really fit in the Pistons new system. They part ways with him and get back a prospect in Brooks and a solid role player in Blake (he could replace Bynum as the backup PG).

Move 5:
Extend Dwight for max.
why?

Move 6:
Sign Kyle Korver using the team's mini mid-level exception, sign Matt Barnes, Nate Robinson, and DeDaun Cook to league minimum deals.

Move 7:

NEW LAKERS ROSTER:

No.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#9 » by AdonisDeMarion » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 am

:roll:
Kobe System wrote:
pja123 wrote:Move 1:
Fire Mike D'Antoni
why?
Obvious.

Move 2:
Hire Bernie Bickerstaff
why?

Lakers get:
Andrea Bargnani

Raptors get:
Steve Nash

Lakers get:
Rodney Stuckey
Kris Humphries
Mirzan Teletovic

Nets get:
Pau Gasol
Kim English

Pistons get:
Marshon Brooks
Steve Blake

Move 5:
Extend Dwight for max.
why?

Move 6:

Move 7:

NEW LAKERS ROSTER:

No.

thats where I got mad AF, NASH FOR BARGS REALLY DUDE, REALLY
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#10 » by BossHoggin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am

This looks like a cleverly designed troll on Lakers fans by the OP

Adonis, stop living in the past
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#11 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 pm

It's not too bad actually. I concur that you won't get Barnes for the vet's min, and I'd be interested to see what their total salary bill (including MWP's salary minus the maybe 3 mil he gets in the amnesty auction) looks like after this offseason. It seems pretty expensive, but perhaps money really is no object.

Trade Gasol for pure cap space plus a pick

I think this is the very, very top of Gasol's possible value, and you'd need the team that values him the most to have a huge amount of cap space or a giant trade exception. Put it this way - prime Gasol, earning half what post-trade Gasol would make and, what, 6 years younger, fetched expirings, rather than pure cap space, and four mid-to-late first-type assets. I think his value has declined quite a bit since then.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,221

Post#12 » by ardee » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm

What is it with people thinking Bargnani actually has value.... You'd have to bribe a GM under the table to take him. He's just awful and has an awful contract. The one thing he used to do well, shoot 3s, he hasn't done in years.

There is no way in hell any team would take him on for basketball reasons.
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Post#13 » by eliasrapp98 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Korver and Barnes will command more. Also Gasol isn't getting you a pick or cap space (he's a bad contract) and LAL's 1st goes to CLE.
PG: Russell Westbrook, Reggie Jackson
SG: Andre Roberson, Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Kevin Durant, KJ McDaniels, Perry Jones
PF: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, Robert Covington
Cc: Al Jefferson, Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, Mitch McGary
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#14 » by old rem » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Jajwanda wrote:Trade Gasol for pure cap space plus a pick, re-sign Clark, sign a SG/SF for the MME, draft a backup PG, amnesty Blake, cut Duhon, and enjoy the results.

PF- Clark, MWP
C- Howard, Hill

I can't even find a team that could trade "pure cap space" for Pau that might ...even for a moment...want to. Who has $20 mill in pure cap space...but wants to use it on a year of a 33 yr old who wasn't that good this year? Nobody. Mostly teams with that kind of cap space are after a VALUE guy who can lift them over the long haul.

The OP....may be a tad ambitious but this one DOES have a rather accurate take on what CAN be done. Is Bargs flawed? sure...so is Pau at this point. Artest? Not useful or tradeable. Stuckey may not be ideal,but could work for LAL. Hump...like Pau or Bargs may be overpaid but he's not old and he will rebound. It's not a great outcome but the Lakers don't actually have a lot of trade chips,do have a huge payroll. You can DO stuff...you can't spin straw into gold. This plan....might not all happen...might not all be possible. I doubt Nate and Matt Barnes settle for minimum.....for example,but it's a good con even if they only get part of it.
CENSORED... No comment.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#15 » by Doormatt » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:56 pm

i stopped reading after the bargs for nash swap.

i can only assume the rest of the trade, as well as this thread, are just as bad.
#doorgek
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#16 » by Dr Aki » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:26 pm

old rem wrote:
Jajwanda wrote:Trade Gasol for pure cap space plus a pick, re-sign Clark, sign a SG/SF for the MME, draft a backup PG, amnesty Blake, cut Duhon, and enjoy the results.

PF- Clark, MWP
C- Howard, Hill

I can't even find a team that could trade "pure cap space" for Pau that might ...even for a moment...want to. Who has $20 mill in pure cap space...but wants to use it on a year of a 33 yr old who wasn't that good this year? Nobody. Mostly teams with that kind of cap space are after a VALUE guy who can lift them over the long haul.

The OP....may be a tad ambitious but this one DOES have a rather accurate take on what CAN be done. Is Bargs flawed? sure...so is Pau at this point. Artest? Not useful or tradeable. Stuckey may not be ideal,but could work for LAL. Hump...like Pau or Bargs may be overpaid but he's not old and he will rebound. It's not a great outcome but the Lakers don't actually have a lot of trade chips,do have a huge payroll. You can DO stuff...you can't spin straw into gold. This plan....might not all happen...might not all be possible. I doubt Nate and Matt Barnes settle for minimum.....for example,but it's a good con even if they only get part of it.

only rem can call 40 million of expiring contracts not useful or tradeable
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#17 » by Leto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:42 pm

20 million of expiring contracts is valuable.....if you plan on taking on more salary---which is not what the Lakers plan on doing. So, him being an expiring is pointless because you can't cash in on it.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,109

Post#18 » by Dr Aki » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Leto wrote:20 million of expiring contracts is valuable.....if you plan on taking on more salary---which is not what the Lakers plan on doing. So, him being an expiring is pointless because you can't cash in on it.

lakers wouldnt mind taking on salary... for the right player(s). that list isn't particularly long though

otherwise, expiring is better than having cap killers
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#19 » by Leto » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:14 pm

^I think the Lakers have to take on salary if they're going to get a talent return for Gasol.

Return to Trades and Transactions