ImageImage

Homer's open letter to Herb Kohl (Mitch Rant part II)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,840

Homer's open letter to Herb Kohl (Mitch Rant part II) 

Post#1 » by paulpressey25 » Thu May 2, 2013 11:33 pm

I'm rolling this into a new thread and stickying it for 24 hours to make sure everyone here can see it and listen to these podcasts.

Homer/Thunder on 540am are the first local media people to go out after Herb Kohl on this level. Sure, people have taken their subtle shots in the past, but these guys have gone three hours on this now and they keep referencing this thread.

I believe this link will slingshot you into their podcast menu:

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_ski ... &f=1367831

Listen to hours 1, 2 and 3. All good stuff.

Mitch Nelle's rant against Hammond yesterday launched this whole thing. I haven't listened to hour 3 today yet but hours 1 and 2 are outstanding.

I realize we all know these truths on here. Have for years. But I feel like maybe this show will at least get the topic some broader coverage in Milwaukee. As Homer said, people here are terrified to tell Herb Kohl he's the worst owner in the NBA for fear he'll get angry and sell the team to an out of town entity.

But as these guys note, the University of Wisconsin, the Packers and the Brewers all in the last 20-years have been considered terrible organizations and situations. And all three turned it around by bringing in new ownership and/or competent management.

Homer said that if the Bucks excuses were true (small markets can't win, good teams get lucky, blah, blah, blah) then Kohl should just sell the team and move it now. But Homer says that isn't the case. Says no reason the Bucks can't build a 50-win team like in Indy that would get this town very interested and excited. Kohl just has to go.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,729

Re: Homer's open letter to Herb Kohl (Mitch Rant part II) 

Post#2 » by DanoMac » Thu May 2, 2013 11:43 pm

This is gold. It's pathetic that it's taken 25 years to get to this level, but thank God we're here now.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#3 » by Nowak008 » Thu May 2, 2013 11:44 pm

PP you use your Mod powers very effectively to bash the organization. Kudos!
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#4 » by paulpressey25 » Thu May 2, 2013 11:58 pm

Nowak008 wrote:PP you use your Mod powers very effectively to bash the organization. Kudos!

Every regular member of this board needs to listen to all three hours. Their comments are gold. Pure gold Jerry. And they keep referencing this board which is nice also.

Realize these guys are casual fans who don't think about the Bucks day and night. Heck, they hardly ever cover the Bucks on their show. It just feels good to sense the angry meter in them rising. Heck Mitch is reading posts from here on the air.

Even though this three hour rant by these guys might not succeed at reaching Herb, Hammond and the people in the Bucks front office, this is a more meaningful event than whatever puppet the team hires as the next coach.

I'd just like this spark to turn into a brushfire. We can't keep going with the status quo as Mitch mocked earlier, with the team going 39-43 next season and declaring it "progress"

th87
General Manager
And1: 9,413

Post#5 » by th87 » Fri May 3, 2013 12:02 am

This is the happiest I've been as a Bucks fan in years.

Now's the time to get those websites and billboard ideas out there. Just let me know where to send my donation.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,760

Post#6 » by fansinceforever » Fri May 3, 2013 12:03 am

Usually can't stand 540 but this is great. I wish 1250 would stop pandering and put the heat on as well.

Sparky knows everything we know but acts as if he's not a member of the local media and his hands are tied. The team might not go out and sign "two big free agents" like Sparky always says if they could hear consistent backlash from a fan base that doesn't want anything to do with that.

Stop standing on the sidelines!
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#7 » by paulpressey25 » Fri May 3, 2013 12:08 am

In fairness to Sparky, he's brought it a lot the past six-months. But he's not directly calling for Herb Kohl to step aside on the level Homer is.

In one of those segments today, Jason Wilde tries to tell Homer that Kohl can't be as bad as the Maloof's. Homer doesn't bite. Says Kohl the worst owner in the league likely and we have 25-years of track record to prove it.

SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#8 » by SkilesTheLimit » Fri May 3, 2013 12:11 am

paulpressey25 wrote:In fairness to Sparky, he's brought it a lot the past six-months. But he's not directly calling for Herb Kohl to step aside on the level Homer is.

In one of those segments today, Jason Wilde tries to tell Homer that Kohl can't be as bad as the Maloof's. Homer doesn't bite. Says Kohl the worst owner in the league likely and we have 25-years of track record to prove it.

Good for him. We'll see if/when he has Hammond on next time if he puts his feet to the fire. Every interview the local media does with Hammond has constant softballs. We have to make this guy squirm in his seat a little bit.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,219

Post#9 » by Matches Malone » Fri May 3, 2013 12:16 am

PP, you're the best! Seriously. Kohl, I'm grateful for you willing to keep the team in Milwaukee, but I think it's time to move on. Find someone to buy the team and hope they keep the team here. If we can get something done on an arena, you can sell the new owner on what a great sports city Milwaukee is, and show them just how well the Brewers are doing after years of being in the basement.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,760

Post#10 » by fansinceforever » Fri May 3, 2013 12:19 am

Exactly! The Bucks need the local media to put butts in the seats just as much as the local media needs John Hammond/Coaches/players to do interviews.

Whats he gonna do? stop doing interviews? Fine. Your team will be discussed even less than it already is.

You're right, I was probably a little hard on Sparky but It's only because I know he checks this message board and cares like we do.
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,413

Post#11 » by th87 » Fri May 3, 2013 12:21 am

I've written them an email or two commending them on their criticism of the organization. Maybe if we do this on a regular basis for the other media entities, they'll start to talk about it more?

The tipping point has to start somewhere.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#12 » by blazza18 » Fri May 3, 2013 12:27 am

Not sure if I could listen to these guys everyday but there really is some quality throughout the show.

DanoMac wrote:This is gold. It's pathetic that it's taken 25 years to get to this level, but thank God we're here now.

So much this.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
JBucks
Analyst
And1: 393

Post#13 » by JBucks » Fri May 3, 2013 12:28 am

It really is the truth that EVERYONE in this organization needs to go and things need to start anew. Yes, that means everyone - from Kohl, Steinmiller, Dan Kohl (the heir apparent), McKinney and his scouting staff, Stu Robinson - the whole ossified power structure that is rotting to the core.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#14 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri May 3, 2013 12:31 am

I love to hear them talking about RealGM.

Can't believe I'm listening to Homer and Thunder on podcast.

Edit: Thunder read my post! "My god that was refreshing"

:lol: 8-)
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#15 » by blkout » Fri May 3, 2013 12:43 am

This is awesome. The more attention RealGM gives this the better, it sounds like they read the board so the more we talk about it the more they'll talk about it.. hopefully
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#16 » by AussieBuck » Fri May 3, 2013 12:49 am

Man is it hilarious that Kohl/Hammonds' happily backing into the playoffs has backfired this well. Instead of another moronic 9th seed that is forgotten about outside of the board as attention quickly shifts to baseball NFL, they've been publicly humiliated by Miami treating themselves to 4 games of playoffs practice.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,429

Post#17 » by blazza18 » Fri May 3, 2013 12:53 am

AussieBuck wrote:Man is it hilarious that Kohl/Hammonds' happily backing into the playoffs has backfired this well. Instead of another moronic 9th seed that is forgotten about outside of the board as attention quickly shifts to baseball NFL, they've been publicly humiliated by Miami treating themselves to 4 games of playoffs practice.

Who would of thought that making the playoffs was a good thing ? :D

Really did put the spotlight on the franchise.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#18 » by Ill-yasova » Fri May 3, 2013 1:00 am

blazza18 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Man is it hilarious that Kohl/Hammonds' happily backing into the playoffs has backfired this well. Instead of another moronic 9th seed that is forgotten about outside of the board as attention quickly shifts to baseball NFL, they've been publicly humiliated by Miami treating themselves to 4 games of playoffs practice.

Who would of thought that making the playoffs was a good thing ? :D

Really did put the spotlight on the franchise.

My favorite part of making the playoffs was watching all of the Halftime show guys, who have probably never even seen a Bucks game this season, wonder out loud how a team as bad as bad as ours could even be in the post season. Just hearing them ripping our guards to shreds on national TV was music to my ears. Hell, it was probably the only thing that brought attention to the futility of this team. If we miss the playoffs we probably don't even hear a rant.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,834

Post#19 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri May 3, 2013 1:01 am

Side note: when did not losing the team to another city become one of the standards of ownership? The Bucks are over 40 years old, and they were a good brand when Kohl bought them. Best all-time winning percentage in the NBA through the mid-80's. To turn that into this and then get credit for not moving the team, when you have great fans and when you're not the smallest market in basketball by any stretch of the imagination, is akin to beating the sh*t out of an innocent kid and then getting credit for not stealing his wallet.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#20 » by bigkurty » Fri May 3, 2013 1:01 am

It won't play on my iPad. I hope they read that and fix it.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks