ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards in the Media Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,322

Re: Wizards in the Media Thread 

Post#981 » by Kanyewest » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Jordan Crawford was interviewed on the Dan LeBatard show. His conversation starts at 9:51.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8928234
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,254

Post#982 » by doclinkin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
fishercob wrote:You play 5 guys at a time though. Adding Beal and Webster -- and maybe some more shooters this summer -- and it seems to work ok.

I still think the solution is to get a quality stretch-four and start him. Play Nene off the bench to carry the second unit, and bring him back with the starters during crunch time at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters. He would still average about 28-30 minutes a game a la Manu Ginobili.

Or a similar back-up big with range and passing skill. I'd take a flyer on Mike Muscala of Bucknell with a 2nd round pick.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#983 » by closg00 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:19 pm

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#984 » by fishercob » Wed Apr 3, 2013 7:20 pm

From Rob Mahoney at SI.com:

Examining the habits of the league’s most potent shooters

You know, guys like Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, Ryan Anderson....and Martell Webster:

Webster has proved to be one of this season’s most pleasant surprises. He’s rebounded wonderfully from a season of injury and underwhelming outside shooting in Minnesota to become one of Washington’s most important players. Nothing that Webster does may seem all that crucial to the casual observer, but his ability to space the floor has been essential for a team that often uses a range-less point guard (John Wall) alongside two conventional, basket-centric big men (Emeka Okafor and, to a lesser extent, Nene).

He accomplishes that feat largely by camping out in the right corner, a valuable piece of real estate for right-handed shooters to take advantage of the slightly shorter bend of the three-point arc. In a league with many skilled long-range threats, Webster ranks as the most accurate shooter from the right corner, according to Vorped, making an astounding 59.7 percent from that spot. Durant’s return on every attempted above-the-break three may have been impressive, but Webster in the right corner is so efficient that it’s batty. Set him up with a look from that tiny hardwood nook and Webster offers a jaw-dropping 1.8 points per shot in return — as sure a bet as you’re likely to find in the NBA this season.

Paired with Bradley Beal on the opposite wing (who, interestingly enough, leads the league in accuracy from the left corner), Webster opens up tons of room for Wall to work off the dribble. Coach Randy Wittman still has some spacing kinks to work out before these Wizards can climb above the league average on offense, but Webster helps contribute to a terrific foundation — provided that Washington can re-sign him as a free agent this summer.

Amazing about Webster's accuracy from the right corner and Beal's from the left. Also another mention of spacing issues. Would love to nab Ilyasova and execute nate's plan of bringing Nene off the bench.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#985 » by Nivek » Wed Apr 3, 2013 7:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:
fishercob wrote:You play 5 guys at a time though. Adding Beal and Webster -- and maybe some more shooters this summer -- and it seems to work ok.

I still think the solution is to get a quality stretch-four and start him. Play Nene off the bench to carry the second unit, and bring him back with the starters during crunch time at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters. He would still average about 28-30 minutes a game a la Manu Ginobili.

Or a similar back-up big with range and passing skill. I'd take a flyer on Mike Muscala of Bucknell with a 2nd round pick.

Even if Muscala ends up below average in length, strength, leaping and agility, he'd still rate as being worth a 2nd round pick in YODA. He made a big jump from his freshman and sophomore seasons.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,903

Post#986 » by DCZards » Wed Apr 3, 2013 8:01 pm

There you go. I think the Zards have built a decent nucleus...especially if you add Ariza, assuming he doesn't opt out. There's a definite need for more depth and that stretch 4 posters here keep talking about. And, of course, it would be nice if Booker, Ves or Seraphin could become a solid contributor off the bench. But what I've seen the last couple of months has indeed been encouraging.

It's noteworthy that the Zards seem to be getting a lot of good press lately, particularly Wall and Beal.
Upper Decker
Rookie
And1: 166

Post#987 » by Upper Decker » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:48 pm

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to comment on the NBA draft coverage by BSPN.

1) I hated Shane Battier, he was so terrible. I muted every minute he was on air. Could the four letter word not come up with a better person to ask terrible interview questions?
2) I know the uproar has been pretty negative against Simmons, but I don't think he did a bad job with the draft coverage. I find it refreshing that someone is an actual fan on the coverage. I really disliked the way Doc called Simmons an idiot in such an insulting passive aggressive manner. It really made him look like a douche.
GhostsOfGil
General Manager
And1: 899

Post#988 » by GhostsOfGil » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Just tried to listen to the Tony Kornheiser pod cast about the draft. Wow.. The guy is clueless. Is every ESPN NBA personality terrible? It sure seems that way.

Upper Decker I agree. Bill Simmons was great (although I've been a big fan of his for some time).
fishercob
RealGM

Post#989 » by fishercob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Bump to give Michael Lee a little dap. I have thought that does an okay job as the Post's beat reporter, but he is elevating his game. Consider today's article about Eric Maynor's struggles. The first few paragraphs are your fairly typical banalities typical of this type of article, but then he actually goes a step deeper and gets to the heart of the matter:

The Wizards’ struggles without Wall last season made finding a backup imperative but the former VCU standout has played so poorly that he has left many wondering why President Ernie Grunfeld was in such a rush to give him a two-year, $4.1 million contract, with the second year a player option – especially when alternatives such as Mo Williams, C.J. Watson, Nate Robinson and Darren Collison were available at a similar price tag. Players who filled in for Wall last season – Shelvin Mack and Shaun Livingston – are both having more productive seasons as more than half the cost.

Consider that along with the next passage:

Maynor’s lack of productivity has placed a heavy burden on Wall and the rest of the team to dig out the holes that occur under his watch. The Wizards (9-11) have been outscored by 113 points in Maynor’s 196 minutes on the floor this season. Wall has the best plus-minus at positive-93 in his team-leading 755 minutes played, but Washington has a negative differential this season of negative-0.8. Maynor’s plus-minus per 48 minutes is negative-27.7.

I don't think you would have seen either of those two paragraphs in a Lee piece a year ago, let alone three or four . This where you see the cumulative effects of Bullets Forever, Truth ABout It, here, Nivek's blog, etc., and it is particularly fueled by Twitter. The conversation is (finally) elevating a bit. This matters -- a lot! It's going to harder and harder for certain executives to hide behind bullsh*t excuses and rationale for non-performance. Keep up the good work, Mike!
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#990 » by nate33 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Good point, fishercob. Mike deserves some credit for writing these things in the Post, although it's really just a rehashing of what Prada put out on BulletsForever a few days ago, which is just a rehashing of what we've discussed on this board for weeks.

It is indeed notable that there is now a fairly direct pipeline starting from intelligent, informed fans like us and leading directly to the mainstream press.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#991 » by fishercob » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:59 pm

nate33 wrote:Good point, fishercob. Mike deserves some credit for writing these things in the Post, although it's really just a rehashing of what Prada put out on BulletsForever a few days ago, which is just a rehashing of what we've discussed on this board for weeks.

It is indeed notable that there is now a fairly direct pipeline starting from intelligent, informed fans like us and leading directly to the mainstream press.

Twitter has changed everything. The information has been out there for years -- here, BF, TAI, Nivek's various blogs. But Twitter elevates the importanr bullet points to where guys like Lee can't help but notice them and needs to write about them.
— Steve Martin
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#992 » by tontoz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Pretty rare to see stuff like that in the paper.

His last possession before getting benched for the rest of the night was an eyesore that ended with him firing a one-handed shot from the “W” on the “Wizards” near center court that went about five feet to the left of the basket and was batted down by referee Eddie Rush to protect the cameraman seated along the baseline.

:lol:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#993 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:29 pm

tontoz wrote:Pretty rare to see stuff like that in the paper.

His last possession before getting benched for the rest of the night was an eyesore that ended with him firing a one-handed shot from the “W” on the “Wizards” near center court that went about five feet to the left of the basket and was batted down by referee Eddie Rush to protect the cameraman seated along the baseline.

:lol:

To be fair, I thought that was a pass; not a shot. He expected the screener to roll to the basket, and he didn't.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,811

Post#994 » by tontoz » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:09 pm

I thought it was one of his patented floaters.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#995 » by dobrojim » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 pm

I keep meaning to ask MLee if he is on RealGM. His spot just over the tunnel
where the Wiz player enter/leave is just a few rows down from where I
sit.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
fishercob
RealGM

Post#996 » by fishercob » Wed Jan 8, 2014 7:04 pm

Chad Ford with a great shot at Ernie in today's chat!

Ben Mehic (New York)

Hey Chad: What's going on with the Wizards? They've had an up and down season thus far, but they've managed to stay out of the trade rumor mll.
Chad Ford (1:23 PM)

Ernie Grunfeld looks at the standings, sees the Wizards as a 5 seed, knows given the Hawks injury woes and Toronto's willingness to keep dumping players that a 3 seed is in reach. Looks at his owner and says mission accomplished.
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#997 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 8, 2014 7:07 pm

fishercob wrote:Chad Ford with a great shot at Ernie in today's chat!

Ben Mehic (New York)

Hey Chad: What's going on with the Wizards? They've had an up and down season thus far, but they've managed to stay out of the trade rumor mll.
Chad Ford (1:23 PM)

Ernie Grunfeld looks at the standings, sees the Wizards as a 5 seed, knows given the Hawks injury woes and Toronto's willingness to keep dumping players that a 3 seed is in reach. Looks at his owner and says mission accomplished.

Lol, Chad nailed it. He may not know talent, but he knows GM's - which is more important for filling his niche.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#998 » by keynote » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Forbes.com article on the upside of John Wall's brand:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitn ... a-players/

It's not an in-depth or well-written article -- it's kind of a Mad Money-level of analysis, and a typo currently has Wall averaging 8.3 rebounds/game this season -- but it's shine for Wall nonetheless:

The guard has also paid more attention to his online persona than many other notable athletes. He launched a new website a year ago with the help of Los Angeles-based digital agency NCLUSIVE, Inc., which has consistently been updated with fresh content and is directly tapped into Wall’s social media platforms. Wall has almost 500,000 followers on Instagram, 1.4 million Likes on Facebook and 1.01 million followers on Twitter. It is unique for any person to attract that type of following on all three major social networks – John Wall does it with precision.

Perhaps the most important element to John Wall’s future off-court success is the fact that he has not over-saturated himself with partnerships and associated himself with companies he does not admire. The doors will be swinging wide open as Wall continues to contribute exceptionally on the court, build his online persona and excel in competitions like the Slam Dunk Contest. It would not hurt for the Wizards to become a competitive team, but it is not necessary for Wall to take his brand to the next level. The kicker is that while Wall is turning into one of the most prominent players in the league, his cost is still relatively low. He is not yet on the top 10 list of NBA endorsers, but it may not be long before Wall cracks the list. Companies would be wise to see his “buy rating” and act now.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#999 » by Illmatic21 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:38 pm

keynote wrote:Forbes.com article on the upside of John Wall's brand:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitn ... a-players/

It's not an in-depth or well-written article -- it's kind of a Mad Money-level of analysis, and a typo currently has Wall averaging 8.3 rebounds/game this season -- but it's shine for Wall nonetheless:

The guard has also paid more attention to his online persona than many other notable athletes. He launched a new website a year ago with the help of Los Angeles-based digital agency NCLUSIVE, Inc., which has consistently been updated with fresh content and is directly tapped into Wall’s social media platforms. Wall has almost 500,000 followers on Instagram, 1.4 million Likes on Facebook and 1.01 million followers on Twitter. It is unique for any person to attract that type of following on all three major social networks – John Wall does it with precision.

Perhaps the most important element to John Wall’s future off-court success is the fact that he has not over-saturated himself with partnerships and associated himself with companies he does not admire. The doors will be swinging wide open as Wall continues to contribute exceptionally on the court, build his online persona and excel in competitions like the Slam Dunk Contest. It would not hurt for the Wizards to become a competitive team, but it is not necessary for Wall to take his brand to the next level. The kicker is that while Wall is turning into one of the most prominent players in the league, his cost is still relatively low. He is not yet on the top 10 list of NBA endorsers, but it may not be long before Wall cracks the list. Companies would be wise to see his “buy rating” and act now.

Nice. Post that in the thread on General forum about Wall's "brand" (I can't post in general forum)
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#1000 » by Illmatic21 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 pm

Return to Washington Wizards