San Antonio and Detroit trade suggestion

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Laimbrane
Ballboy
And1: 0

San Antonio and Detroit trade suggestion 

Post#1 » by Laimbrane » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Hello, all.

Full disclosure: I'm a Detroit Pistons fan (yes, there are still a few of us left).

My suggestion:
Detroit trades: Greg Monroe, Tayshaun Prince
San Antonio trades: Stephen Jackson, Kawhi Leonard, 1st round pick (2013), 1st round pick (2014)
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=c6c5a2k (+ picks)

Benefit to the Pistons:
1) Right now the argument can easily be made that Drummond is the best player on the Pistons' team (even if he comes off the bench). The kid needs to play, but I just don't believe Monroe is going to mesh well with Drummond. This allows the Pistons to get value for Monroe while moving Drummond into the starting rotation with Maxiell, who's shown to be more effective paired with Drummond than Monroe has.
2) Tayshaun Prince is a great veteran presence, but the style he's accustomed to is different than the up-tempo one that the Pistons currently thrive in (a fact that Frank doesn't recognize) and that I'd like to see them change to.
3) They return Kawhi Leonard, who's a very good young SF that gives them a scorer and defender that they can build around, who's been having some issues this season but has the talent and the skillset to complement the direction I'd like to see the team go in.
4) They get a couple extra 1st-round picks for the rebuilding process.
5) They clear up over $10 million in cap space for next year.

Benefit to San Antonio
1) They immediately upgrade their starting five to Parker/Green/Prince/Duncan/Monroe, and re-stake their claim as the team to beat in the West.
2) They add a young, up-and-coming, all-star-caliber C to their team that will fit right into their philosophy, whose skills will perfectly complement the rest of the team. Monroe can learn from a player (Duncan) very similar to him in style and temperament, and replace him when Duncan retires in a couple years.
3) They add a veteran SF with championship experience that is signed for a reasonable salary for a couple more years, one that fits in with SF's style and improves their production at the position.
4) They only lose out on two low-value late-round firsts in doing so.
5) It actually decreases their cap number this year

I think this benefits both teams. As a Pistons' fan, part of me thinks Prince and Monroe are worth more than an unproven-but-talented young player, an expiring, and two late-first-round picks, but I'm not sure they would necessarily get that. I'm also not sure what an outsider's perspective of Monroe is, but I think his value added would be greatest to a team like San Antonio, and that they'd probably give the most in return.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Re: San Antonio and Detroit trade suggestion 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Well, first of all, a team isn't allowed to trade two consecutive 1st round picks unless they have one from another team...so it would have to be 2013 and 2015 picks.

As for the substance of the deal itself, I think it's good overall though I don't think the Pistons would pull the trigger. The upside of Drummond/Monroe, if they can get it to work, outweighs whatever value Kawhi and the picks have IMO.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#3 » by vege » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:28 pm

So Detroit is taking Stephen Jackson and trading Monroe in the process? And the great prize are 2 very low picks? Yeah sure...
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#4 » by gswhoops » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:40 pm

vege wrote:So Detroit is taking Stephen Jackson and trading Monroe in the process? And the great prize are 2 very low picks? Yeah sure...

Kawhi Leonard...?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#5 » by FNQ » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Only way I see DET doing this is if Monroe conclusively fails at PF... and I mean a spectacular failure. Because at C, he's around break-even as far as impact goes. So he'd at minimum retain that value. And I think that value is still more than what's being offered here
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#6 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 pm

So det trades monroe in his 3rd season and befor we get to see dre/monroe start together and a good vet in prince,for leonard/jackson and a couple low 1st rd picks.No thanks.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#7 » by vege » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 pm

gswhoops wrote:
vege wrote:So Detroit is taking Stephen Jackson and trading Monroe in the process? And the great prize are 2 very low picks? Yeah sure...

Kawhi Leonard...?

Monroe >>>>>>>> Leonard so the prize for the downgrade are 2 late picks.
Jase
RealGM
And1: 158

Post#8 » by Jase » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:06 pm

DET could do better than this if they REALLY wanted to unload Monroe. Kawai is nice, but Monroe is one of the best young bigs in the game.
"A winner listens. A loser just waits until it's their turn to talk."
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:37 am

It's a breath of fresh air reading a proposal from someone who doesn't overvalue his team's players, but I do fear you have swung too far and entered deep into the undervaluing zone.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#10 » by Blame Rasho » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Jase wrote:DET could do better than this if they REALLY wanted to unload Monroe. Kawai is nice, but Monroe is one of the best young bigs in the game.

The thing is that, I can't see Detriot unloading Monroe. They basically have the frontcourt set for the next 4 to 5 years. There is no reason whatsoever to break it apart.
Laimbrane
Ballboy

Post#11 » by Laimbrane » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and bet that the prevailing opinions on this have probably changed. (And yes, I'm just bringing this thread back up to bask in the glow of my own foresight.) :rock: :rock: 8-) 8-)
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#12 » by Mykhyn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Laimbrane wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and bet that the prevailing opinions on this have probably changed. (And yes, I'm just bringing this thread back up to bask in the glow of my own foresight.) :rock: :rock: 8-) 8-)

Nothings changed, the Spurs still won't trade Kawhi for Monroe. Kawhi is worth way more.
Laimbrane
Ballboy

Post#13 » by Laimbrane » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Laimbrane wrote:I'm gonna go ahead and bet that the prevailing opinions on this have probably changed. (And yes, I'm just bringing this thread back up to bask in the glow of my own foresight.) :rock: :rock: 8-) 8-)

Nothings changed, the Spurs still won't trade Kawhi for Monroe. Kawhi is worth way more.

Well I know that, but I'm having my little cup of victory tea here - everyone in response said that Detroit was giving up way too much. You just proved that the prevailing opinion changed.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#14 » by Kilo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:40 pm

And Detroit wouldn't trade Greg Monroe for Kawhi Leonard. Monroe is worth way more.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
VintaGe36
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 88

Post#15 » by VintaGe36 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Kilo wrote:And Detroit wouldn't trade Greg Monroe for Kawhi Leonard. Monroe is worth way more.

That's debatable.

Moving forward Leonard/Smith/Drummond looks better than Smith/Drummond/Monroe if you ask me.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#16 » by FNQ » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:54 pm

Only reason I think DET should do it now is because of the Smoove signing. I think the value is equal, and it becomes a matter of fit

Return to Trades and Transactions