Thad Young

Moderators: BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers

dlex33
Sophomore
And1: 3

Thad Young 

Post#1 » by dlex33 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:31 pm

Looking for a realistic deal for Thad Young. As a fan I'd like to see Thad on a contender. What can we get for him? I don't want to see Thad go through this rebuilding process when he can help a good team get over the hump.
sixers all day!
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,356

Re: Thad Young 

Post#2 » by jowglenn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:24 pm

He should have value. Good rebounding defending forward, maybe a tad overpaid but not by too much, still only 25.
76erFixer
Bench Warmer
And1: 17

Post#3 » by 76erFixer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:34 pm

This board underrates Thad considerably. I expect some low ball offers
F1uxCapacit0r
Sixth Man
And1: 209

Post#4 » by F1uxCapacit0r » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Pshhhh, not much. He has like a 77 2k13 rating
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,567

Post#5 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Wizards have Ariza (Efficient, Versatile, young, expiring). We could offer Chris Singleton as well. If you want something for the future (and you do not consider resigning Ariza/Singleton) then you could make it a 3-way...something like:

PHI IN: C. Frye, Singleton, PHX 1st (protected)
PHI Out: Thad

WAS In: Young
WAS out: Ariza, Singleton

PHX IN: Ariza
PHX out: C. Frye, Protected 1st

Why: Sixers save 1M immediately, 2.5M the next year, and 10M in 2015 while getting a future 1st. Was gets a quality piece to contend. Suns upgrade their wing dramatically while dropping a year off Frye's contract.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,503

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:44 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Wizards have Ariza (Efficient, Versatile, young, expiring). We could offer Chris Singleton as well. If you want something for the future (and you do not consider resigning Ariza/Singleton) then you could make it a 3-way...something like:

Why: Sixers save 1M immediately, 2.5M the next year, and 10M in 2015 while getting a future 1st. Was gets a quality piece to contend. Suns upgrade their wing dramatically while dropping a year off Frye's contract.

You are stealing value from Phx.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,363

Post#7 » by M-C-G » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:21 pm

Holy $hit, Ariza worth Frye and a 1st???

Roughly the same age, similar stats per 36. That's just crazy.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,567

Post#8 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:27 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Wizards have Ariza (Efficient, Versatile, young, expiring). We could offer Chris Singleton as well. If you want something for the future (and you do not consider resigning Ariza/Singleton) then you could make it a 3-way...something like:

You are stealing value from Phx.

Frye had a better year than I thought. I assume you could switch him and Beasley. Or use Memphis instead of PHX and send Prince and a 1st. Thoughts?
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#9 » by mlloyd10 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Jennings for Young
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,818

Post#10 » by giberish » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Young is quite good, but there's two big problems in finding a trade for him.

First, he's an undersized PF without 3-point range which isn't what people are looking for.

Second, the PF spot is full around the league, and he's too good and too expensive to just be a limited minutes backup.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#11 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:22 pm

giberish wrote:Young is quite good, but there's two big problems in finding a trade for him.

First, he's an undersized PF without 3-point range which isn't what people are looking for.

Second, the PF spot is full around the league, and he's too good and too expensive to just be a limited minutes backup.

He has the 3pt range in which he proved in his first 3 seasons. Like any PF it isn't recommended to live out their unless your Dirk or Love. Thad is a more efficient but less athletic Josh Smith. You don't have to worry about boneheaded plays with him. Thad plays within his limits and does what a team asks of him. A perfect fit for a contending team .
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#12 » by Golabki » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:25 pm

I've liked Young for a long time. I'd love to see him on a contender.

An long athletic forward who and strong and physical enough to play the 4 and is a good defender against big wings. Back in 2010 he was a pretty good on corner 3s, but schematically Philly went away from that the past couple years. He's a really good 2-way role-player.

I think he's be a great fit on SAS or HOU.

HOU could offer Asik to a third team and use some of the value from him to send to Philly.

SAS could offer Diaw/Bonner expirings + a future first.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#13 » by NashtyNas » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:13 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:
giberish wrote:Young is quite good, but there's two big problems in finding a trade for him.

He has the 3pt range in which he proved in his first 3 seasons. Like any PF it isn't recommended to live out their unless your Dirk or Love. Thad is a more efficient but less athletic Josh Smith. You don't have to worry about boneheaded plays with him. Thad plays within his limits and does what a team asks of him. A perfect fit for a contending team .

Then he's undersized to be a PF - which has always been his problem. If he's not a consistently good 3 point shooter (which he isn't), he can't be a stretch PF. He's small, so he can't play inside - therefore he's a tweener. That has been the knock on him forever, which is why no one wants him, especially not at that price tag. Players that don't have defined positions and don't excel at any one thing aren't huge trade commodities - he'll likely get a late first and an expiring at best. If he could shoot the 3 consistently, he'd be a good fit in Houston. If he could play the SF consistently, he'd be a good fit in PHX - but I still would be concerned with the price point.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,508

Post#14 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:28 pm

I would hold onto him if I was PHI. That team with no Thad would have 5-55 Nelson "HA HA" potential. Tanking is fine but I don't think PHI wants to be so bad that it's a national story.

Plus Thad could pad stats this year and increase his value
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#15 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm

I_Socrates wrote:Then he's undersized to be a PF - which has always been his problem. If he's not a consistently good 3 point shooter (which he isn't), he can't be a stretch PF. He's small, so he can't play inside - therefore he's a tweener. That has been the knock on him forever, which is why no one wants him, especially not at that price tag. Players that don't have defined positions and don't excel at any one thing aren't huge trade commodities - he'll likely get a late first and an expiring at best. If he could shoot the 3 consistently, he'd be a good fit in Houston. If he could play the SF consistently, he'd be a good fit in PHX - but I still would be concerned with the price point.

I'd say that he excels at scoring inside.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#16 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:20 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
I_Socrates wrote:Then he's undersized to be a PF - which has always been his problem. If he's not a consistently good 3 point shooter (which he isn't), he can't be a stretch PF. He's small, so he can't play inside - therefore he's a tweener. That has been the knock on him forever, which is why no one wants him, especially not at that price tag. Players that don't have defined positions and don't excel at any one thing aren't huge trade commodities - he'll likely get a late first and an expiring at best. If he could shoot the 3 consistently, he'd be a good fit in Houston. If he could play the SF consistently, he'd be a good fit in PHX - but I still would be concerned with the price point.

I'd say that he excels at scoring inside.

I say a team like Houston would suit his game really well next too Dwight Howard. Golden State as well.
Kupchak9
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,492

Post#17 » by Kupchak9 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:52 pm

The Bucks need a wing scorer at the 3 and with OJ + Ersan already spreading the floor, his inability to shoot should be masked.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#18 » by the_process » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:39 pm

I still happen to think Thad can play the three even though he really hasn't done so in the past three years. Doug Collins is the kind of coach who would let his PG shoot every time down the court so they could go a whole game without turnovers.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#19 » by the_process » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:45 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Jennings for Young

Jennings is not even close to getting Thad. A Thad/Moultrie/little sweetener for Henson/Udoh swap is more like it. MIL should be able to take that extra salary now that they amnestied Gooden. Thad would be perfect up front with Sanders and Ilyasova.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#20 » by freshie2 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:05 am

I'd like to see the Sixers hang on to Thad for the rebuild...this year will be rough, but they should be on the upswing next year, and he's a low demand/high output player. That being said, I could see the Thunder making a play for him...he's not a Jordan-esque scorer, but probably the best garbage man in the league.

Return to Trades and Transactions