Memphis waives Fab Melo

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

The4thHorseman
Head Coach
And1: 4,384

Memphis waives Fab Melo 

Post#1 » by The4thHorseman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 14m
Memphis has waived center Fab Melo, league source tells Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m
Memphis traded a non-guaranteed contract and cash to Boston to acquire Melo, the 22nd pick in 2012 NBA Draft. Melo's owed $1.3M this year.
Bo Outlaw
Pro Prospect
And1: 225

Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo 

Post#2 » by Bo Outlaw » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Why didn't they just waive Donte Greene?
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#3 » by Nolan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:38 pm

He sucks but I don't get this. Why'd they deal an non-guaranteed deal for him in the place if they were thinking of waiving him?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#4 » by Fat » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:41 pm

the owner of the grizzlies must of thought they acquired the other melo and waived Fab out of disappointment
Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
aboogie
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#5 » by aboogie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:42 pm

I'll take him on the heat
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#6 » by loserX » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Nolan wrote:He sucks but I don't get this. Why'd they deal an non-guaranteed deal for him in the place if they were thinking of waiving him?

Didn't they also get cash from Boston? Depending on how much they got (Boston should have been willing to pay more than the difference since they get out of the tax), Memphis may actually have ended up financially ahead of where they would have been by just cutting Greene.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Bo Outlaw wrote:Why didn't they just waive Donte Greene?

for some reason donte has this reputation of being able to shoot. idk, neither are NBA players.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
franktony
Analyst
And1: 1,492

Post#8 » by franktony » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:55 pm

Dude has poor work ethic ! Probably got delusional after he was taken in the 1st round. Yeah, he made 2m but he could have made way more.

Now he has to work twice as hard to become a min player in the NBA
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#9 » by Paradise » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Melo is going to LA!
MKG35
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#10 » by MKG35 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:16 pm

franktony wrote:Dude has poor work ethic !

Where did you get this information from? You got a source, did Doc or other players mention him during an interview? Would love to hear more.

All I know is or what I made up from all the things I read, is that this kid develops really slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I don't know if it's worth it for an NBA team to be this patient. I would say give him 4 years total and then he can be someone to fill up the roster.
Shamrock
Head Coach
And1: 5,011

Post#11 » by Shamrock » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Not surprised, Melo was one of the worst players I've seen in a while.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#12 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:21 pm

He is complete trash... but some people were going **** over his meaningless block record in the Dleague. The stupid **** can't even walk thru a door without getting a concussion.
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#13 » by Bskey » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:23 pm

Heh, I never really got to see him play this last year, he was that bad? Some people were pretty high on him pre-draft.
franktony
Analyst

Post#14 » by franktony » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:28 pm

MKG35 wrote:

Where did you get this information from? You got a source, did Doc or other players mention him during an interview? Would love to hear more.

All I know is or what I made up from all the things I read, is that this kid develops really slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I don't know if it's worth it for an NBA team to be this patient. I would say give him 4 years total and then he can be someone to fill up the roster.

Well he is brazilian and I've heard it from people involved with basketball in Brazil.

Considering what happened (1 year in the NBA and waived as a 1st rounder) I'd say I believe them. Authentic 7 footers with good shot-blocking skills don't get waived that easily, even if they're raw.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#15 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:31 pm

MKG35 wrote:

It is pretty damn hard for teams to give up on bigmen.... and he was just waived after his 1st season in the NBA. It reflects on your work ethic and your ability that two teams that they gave up on you.

There isn't a long list of players who get waived after their 1st season and have great work ethic after being drafted in the 1st round.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#16 » by Nolan » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:42 pm

loserX wrote:
Nolan wrote:He sucks but I don't get this. Why'd they deal an non-guaranteed deal for him in the place if they were thinking of waiving him?

Didn't they also get cash from Boston? Depending on how much they got (Boston should have been willing to pay more than the difference since they get out of the tax), Memphis may actually have ended up financially ahead of where they would have been by just cutting Greene.

I thought Memphis sent cash to Boston? But if it was the other way around it does make sense.

*Edit found this:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press_release/celtics-complete-trade-memphis

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired forward Donte Greene from Memphis in exchange for center Fab Melo and cash considerations.

So I guess you were correct.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
sambenno
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#17 » by sambenno » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Send the young fella overseas so he can work on his attitude and his game.
MKG35
Bench Warmer
And1: 401

Post#18 » by MKG35 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:16 pm

franktony wrote:
Well he is brazilian and I've heard it from people involved with basketball in Brazil.

Considering what happened (1 year in the NBA and waived as a 1st rounder) I'd say I believe them. Authentic 7 footers with good shot-blocking skills don't get waived that easily, even if they're raw.

(If all this is true) it still blows my mind how someone can throw away an opportunity like this .

They love the game or are just in it for the money (either reason is ok I guess), you are able to play in the NBA, all you need to do is work out which is something you've been doing your whole life and you get paid a lot of money for it. How hard can it be?

I don't get these guys.
franktony
Analyst

Post#19 » by franktony » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:47 pm

MKG35 wrote:
franktony wrote:

(If all this is true) it still blows my mind how someone can throw away an opportunity like this .

They love the game or are just in it for the money (either reason is ok I guess), you are able to play in the NBA, all you need to do is work out which is something you've been doing your whole life and you get paid a lot of money for it. How hard can it be?

I don't get these guys.

It's not the 1st time and it's not the last. Do you remember Joe Alexander? 8th pick in the 2008 draft.

The guy with crazy athleticism that was more worried about the Bucks cheerleaders than with his career. Last time I've heard he was in China.

Those guys just learn when their pockets are affected. I don't feel sorry for them.
kyphi
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,596

Post#20 » by kyphi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 am

but he has such an awesome name! Still, if he doesn't love the game, then he won't work hard. He should pursue other opportunities, imo

Return to The General Board