2014 Draft Prospects Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Re: 2014 Draft Prospects Thread 

Post#141 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 4, 2013 4:12 am

JDR720 wrote:Exum can play SG, Kemba's job would be safe if we got him

Exum is more Shaun Livingston ( the bright athletic tall PG before that catastrophic injury ) than anything. If a team drafts him it wont be as a SG. Draft sites only list him as a potential SG because of his immense size and length since hes 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan. He will hardly play any SG in his career in my opinion.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#142 » by catch20two » Mon Nov 4, 2013 4:57 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:

Exum is more Shaun Livingston ( the bright athletic tall PG before that catastrophic injury ) than anything. If a team drafts him it wont be as a SG. Draft sites only list him as a potential SG because of his immense size and length since hes 6'6 with a 6'9 wingspan. He will hardly play any SG in his career in my opinion.

I agree that Exum is more of a PG than SG but he would make a great complimentary player in the backcourt with Kemba. The same way I liked the prospects of Oladipo and Marcus Smart with Kemba I will like with Exum, just I believe that Exum has the potential to be a better perimeter shooter than either of those guys. If we could draft Exum that also would help us continue our defensive persona. Exum look like he could become an elite perimeter defender with his length and quickness.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#143 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 4, 2013 4:58 am

catch20two wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:

I agree that Exum is more of a PG than SG but he would make a great complimentary player in the backcourt with Kemba. The same way I liked the prospects of Oladipo and Marcus Smart with Kemba I will like with Exum, just I believe that Exum has the potential to be a better perimeter shooter than either of those guys. If we could draft Exum that also would help us continue our defensive persona. Exum look like he could become an elite perimeter defender with his length and quickness.

If we draft Exum or Smart than Kemba will be relegated to a Sessions role. Is that something that this fan base can deal with? Im not so sure. Maybe Walker is better than either one of them. This draft is loaded, but its not loaded at the positions that we need necessarily.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#144 » by catch20two » Mon Nov 4, 2013 5:42 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:If we draft Exum or Smart than Kemba will be relegated to a Sessions role. Is that something that this fan base can deal with? Im not so sure. Maybe Walker is better than either one of them. This draft is loaded, but its not loaded at the positions that we need necessarily.

Why would Kemba have to be relegated to a Sessions role if we drafted Exum? I don't think that has to be or should be the case. Kemba can start at PG while Exum start at SG. There's nothing wrong with having more than one capable ballhandler/playmaker on the floor at the same time. If anything that should open up our offense more.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#145 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 4, 2013 6:58 am

catch20two wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:If we draft Exum or Smart than Kemba will be relegated to a Sessions role. Is that something that this fan base can deal with? Im not so sure. Maybe Walker is better than either one of them. This draft is loaded, but its not loaded at the positions that we need necessarily.

Why would Kemba have to be relegated to a Sessions role if we drafted Exum? I don't think that has to be or should be the case. Kemba can start at PG while Exum start at SG. There's nothing wrong with having more than one capable ballhandler/playmaker on the floor at the same time. If anything that should open up our offense more.

You should watch more of Exum. Henderson looks like Ray Allen compared to him. Exum is specifically a playmaker with the ball in his hands.
catch20two
RealGM

Post#146 » by catch20two » Mon Nov 4, 2013 7:24 am

Liver_Pooty wrote:
catch20two wrote:

You should watch more of Exum. Henderson looks like Ray Allen compared to him. Exum is specifically a playmaker with the ball in his hands.

I heavily disagree with your innuendo that Exum's perimeter game would make Henderson look like Ray Allen. I've seen him play in the Hoop Summit and I've watched a few highlight clips. That's not to say that I've seen him extensively and know the ins and outs of his game but I've seen him as much as you can say that you have unless you've attended some of his games personally. I already understand that he's a playmaker but that doesn't mean that he can't shoot. Like most prep players transitioning into a more pro style of basketball he'll have to improve his range. In fact I could actually use your phrase and say that Exum looks like Ray Allen compared to how Kemba's perimeter game coming out of high school. However I can envision a Kemba and Exum starting backcourt.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#147 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 4, 2013 7:47 am

catch20two wrote:
Liver_Pooty wrote:
catch20two wrote:

I heavily disagree with your innuendo that Exum's perimeter game would make Henderson look like Ray Allen. I've seen him play in the Hoop Summit and I've watched a few highlight clips. That's not to say that I've seen him extensively and know the ins and outs of his game but I've seen him as much as you can say that you have unless you've attended some of his games personally. I already understand that he's a playmaker but that doesn't mean that he can't shoot. Like most prep players transitioning into a more pro style of basketball he'll have to improve his range. In fact I could actually use your phrase and say that Exum looks like Ray Allen compared to how Kemba's perimeter game coming out of high school. However I can envision a Kemba and Exum starting backcourt.

We shall see. Exum has to have the ball in his hands just like Walker does to be effective. Hes played the lead guard his entire life and to all of a sudden be an off guard would be a reach. Either way he would be a fantastic addition for his Aussie accent alone.
AussieMJ
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#148 » by AussieMJ » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:27 am

A guy from my school has aparently played against Exum before so I may try and get hold of him and ask. (Probably not really a great resource seeing it was only limited time and he would have seen him not versing high caliber competition)

Sent from my iPod touch using RealGM Forums
MPM
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,706

Post#149 » by MPM » Mon Nov 4, 2013 10:27 am

A bit early to start this discussion, but I'm a sucker for the draft. Let's say we get two picks - ours and a #13. My guess is we land 5-7. Of course, anyone in the lottery can flame out or light it up this year (for instance, a Selden or Harrison) and I have a feeling that mocks are going to look very different come June, but based on current DX rankings, I'd probably do a Jabari Parker if he can play SF, and either Wayne Selden or WCS. Parker and Selden would provide some much needed offensive punch, while WCS could provide legit length, consistent defensive presence, hustle and boards. No more short guys, please. I like Harris' and Harrell's games, but they are both undersized.
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,132

Post#150 » by Snidely FC » Mon Nov 4, 2013 3:16 pm

Doug McDermott with the pick in the teens. Play him at SG. 6'8 SG. He can be our Klay Thompson.
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#151 » by mrknowitall215 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 4:25 pm

Snidely FC wrote:Doug McDermott with the pick in the teens. Play him at SG. 6'8 SG. He can be our Klay Thompson.

I like this idea. Worst case scenario he should be able to replace Jeff Taylor and give Charlotte a consistent 3-point shooting wing off the bench
MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#152 » by MPM » Mon Nov 4, 2013 6:50 pm

mrknowitall215 wrote:
Snidely FC wrote:Doug McDermott with the pick in the teens. Play him at SG. 6'8 SG. He can be our Klay Thompson.

I like this idea. Worst case scenario he should be able to replace Jeff Taylor and give Charlotte a consistent 3-point shooting wing off the bench

I want to like him. I really do. But after getting date-raped by AMMO, I can never love another unathletic white guy tweener again. I shudder to think of him defending at the pro level.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#153 » by Eoghan » Mon Nov 4, 2013 6:51 pm

I think McDermott is more of a 3/4 like Battier, he seems too slow to play a lot of 2.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,336

Post#154 » by MasterIchiro » Mon Nov 4, 2013 6:58 pm

It's super early but I'm starting to see how Jabari Parker makes sense. He's a well-rounded player and scorer with a strong makeup. He definitely profiles as the type of high character player Charlotte has been targeting throughout the rebuild. Plus he will be showcased on TV in Carolina. Seems like a good ticket seller.

With our pick, I'd like Parker so I hope he comes out. With any other picks (DET/POR) plus MKG I'd like to bring in an established young shooting guard, a real star player to go after a playoff spot with Kemba and Jefferson.
It has been written...
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,132

Post#155 » by Snidely FC » Mon Nov 4, 2013 8:13 pm

MPM wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:

I want to like him. I really do. But after getting date-raped by AMMO, I can never love another unathletic white guy tweener again. I shudder to think of him defending at the pro level.

I think of him more as a young fellow Creighton grad Kyle Korver than AMMO. back to back years of 48% from 3 pt land? We draft another young all-around star like Exum or Parker with our early pick then go for the best 3 pt shooter in the draft to spread the floor so our athletes, Kemba, MKG, Exum, etc, can go to work.
Did you know he played high school ball with Harrison Barnes? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... next-level
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mpuXZq-hQo[/youtube]
Liver_Pooty
RealGM

Post#156 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Nov 4, 2013 8:19 pm

Snidely FC wrote:
MPM wrote:
mrknowitall215 wrote:

I think of him more as a young fellow Creighton grad Kyle Korver than AMMO. back to back years of 48% from 3 pt land? We draft another young all-around star like Exum or Parker with our early pick then go for the best 3 pt shooter in the draft to spread the floor so our athletes, Kemba, MKG, Exum, etc, can go to work.
Did you know he played high school ball with Harrison Barnes? http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... next-level
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mpuXZq-hQo[/youtube]

He also reportedly did quiet well in practices with team USA this past Summer.
MPM
Assistant Coach

Post#157 » by MPM » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:02 pm

Snidely FC wrote:I think of him more as a young fellow Creighton grad Kyle Korver than AMMO. back to back years of 48% from 3 pt land? We draft another young all-around star like Exum or Parker with our early pick then go for the best 3 pt shooter in the draft to spread the floor so our athletes, Kemba, MKG, Exum, etc, can go to work.
Did you know he played high school ball with Harrison Barnes?

If we land him around #15, I wouldn't be destroyed, but man I've been scarred. Would love for him to prove me wrong - let the healing begin. He did star off the bench for my 2K13 Bobcats, so there's that :D
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,523

Post#158 » by HornetJail » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:34 pm

I have no problem picking McDermott in the second half of the first round, where you're expected to pick up role players, and not much more, which is what McDermott will become. If we're picking him in the lottery, then that's a bit of a problem.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,214

Post#159 » by amcoolio » Mon Nov 4, 2013 9:48 pm

McDermott is a no brainer with the Detroit pick (if they make the playoffs). I doubt he lasts that long though.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
mrknowitall215
RealGM
And1: 2,384

Post#160 » by mrknowitall215 » Mon Nov 4, 2013 10:33 pm

As far as draft prospects go, I'm just waiting for the November 12th showdown of Kansas vs Duke aka Andrew Wiggins vs Jabari Parker. That's going to be a interesting game to watch and gauge their talents

Return to Charlotte Hornets