ImageImageImageImageImage

POLL: Masai Ujiri Approval Rating - Mid-Season Poll

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Masai Ujiri Approval Rating

Poll ended at Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Strongly Approve
13%
Approve
31%
Neither Approve Nor Disapprove
20%
Disapprove
24%
Strongly Disapprove
12%

Total votes: 198

hankscorpioLA
RealGM
And1: 10,007

POLL: Masai Ujiri Approval Rating - Mid-Season Poll 

Post#1 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Masai Ujiri is handling his job as General Manager of the Toronto Raptors?

Past results:

Dec 31-Jan 1 - 73% Approve - 14% Disapprove
Dec 8-11 - 91% Approve - 3% Disapprove
Oct 26-28 - 62% Approve - 14% Disapprove
Sep 3-5 - 66% Approve - 9% Disapprove
July 24-28 - 73% Approve - 11% Disapprove
July 10-13 - 79% Approve - 6% Disapprove
July 9 - 75% Approve - 5% Disapprove

Full results:

July 9: 222 votes (77-89-44-5-7) 35% Strongly Approve, 40% Approve, 20% Neither Approve nor Disapprove, 2% Disapprove, 3% Strongly Disapprove

July 10-13: 182 votes (49-94-27-4-8) 27% Strongly Approve, 52% Approve, 15% Neither Approve Nor Disapprove, 2% Disapprove, 4% Strongly Disapprove

July 24-28: 149 votes (35-74-23-11-6) 23% Strongly Approve, 50% Approve, 15% Neither Approve Nor Disapprove, 7% Disapprove, 4% Strongly Disapprove

Sep 3-5: 162 votes (28-80-40-11-3) 17% Strongly Approve, 49% Approve, 25% Neither Approve Nor Disapprove, 7% Disapprove, 2% Strongly Disapprove

Oct 26-28: 165 votes 22% Strongly Approve, 40% Approve, 24% Neither Approve Nor Disapprove, 10% Disapprove, 4% Strongly Disapprove

Dec 8-11: 240 votes (137-34--6-3-0 - 57%-34%-6%-3%-0%)

Dec 31-Jan 2: 210 votes (73-79-13-10-4 - 35%-38%-13%-10%-4%)
The absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence.
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Re: POLL: Masai Ujiri Approval Rating - Mid-Season Poll 

Post#2 » by dTox » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:35 pm

I think he can potentially be a good GM, but I disapprove of his work so far. We've squandered a way a high lotto pick to make a run with a squad that lacks star talent and a go to scorer. He's been evaluating this team for almost half the season when other new hires such as Sam Hinkie have come in and already positioned their team in a much better situation with better assets and coaching staff.
At the same time, I also don't know how much pressure Masai is facing from a cash grabbing corporate ownership to keep the status quo as the recent TV ratings and attendance have been improving, but that same excuse can also be used to defend Colangelo and so you can see where i'm going with this.
TBZ for the win
changes
Head Coach
And1: 9,124

Post#3 » by changes » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Same as it's always been, dissaprove.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#4 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:41 pm

After a fairly stable offseason, the approval rating swung pretty widely once the games started getting played. The biggest swing can be accounted for by the fact that most of the pro-tank squad believed the Gay trade would further their cause. They abandoned Masai once the trade made the Raptors better.

Still, at this point, I think we can say that a good 70-75% of Raptors fans have supported Masai from the beginning.
BBS22
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,076

Post#5 » by BBS22 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:46 pm

I've voted disapprove for a very long time and maintain my stance. What differs us from the elite and contenders is a superstar. At this moment Ujiri hasn't acquired one or made movement in my opinion. Now you can theorize he's clearing cap space, raising the value of his players and etc. Great - when that happens he'll get my approval. Right now we're not contenders or elite, we're on the bubble missing a significant piece. And a head coach who is prone to mistakes, who may get an extension. Go get me a superstar because without trading or drafting an elite talent we're not going anywhere.

Right now we're running Colangelo's core + minor Ujiri pieces. I didn't approve of Colangelo's team and I don't now that it's Masai's. I keep bringing this up, he has a 5 year contract, something GM's dream about. He has job security to tank and he chose not to.

Thanks Tubrozone!
Scase
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#6 » by Scase » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:54 pm

BBS22 wrote:I've voted disapprove for a very long time and maintain my stance. What differs us from the elite and contenders is a superstar. At this moment Ujiri hasn't acquired one or made movement in my opinion. Now you can theorize he's clearing cap space, raising the value of his players and etc. Great - when that happens he'll get my approval. Right now we're not contenders or elite, we're on the bubble missing a significant piece. And a head coach who is prone to mistakes, who may get an extension. Go get me a superstar because without trading or drafting an elite talent we're not going anywhere.

Right now we're running Colangelo's core + minor Ujiri pieces. I didn't approve of Colangelo's team and I don't now that it's Masai's. I keep bringing this up, he has a 5 year contract, something GM's dream about. He has job security to tank and he chose not to.

Bingo, everything I feel summed up nicely.
Props TZ!
Crazomali
RealGM
And1: 38,984

Post#7 » by Crazomali » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:56 pm

casted my vote in the disapprove lot for the first time in all 4 polls. his wait & see backfired and now we are paying the price ( sliding down the standings & not spinning of assets that peaked)
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#8 » by neurotik » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:06 pm

BBS22 wrote:I've voted disapprove for a very long time and maintain my stance. What differs us from the elite and contenders is a superstar. At this moment Ujiri hasn't acquired one or made movement in my opinion. Now you can theorize he's clearing cap space, raising the value of his players and etc. Great - when that happens he'll get my approval. Right now we're not contenders or elite, we're on the bubble missing a significant piece. And a head coach who is prone to mistakes, who may get an extension. Go get me a superstar because without trading or drafting an elite talent we're not going anywhere.

The 5 year contract is a great point. This is why the wait and see strategy surprised me. Even after he took that approach, I was still expecting Masai to start the rebuild by the trade deadline or off season. He can still accomplish the latter (although it will have been at the compromise of the value of our 2014 pick), but I don't like the fact that him electing to retool or accelerate the rebuild (in other words treadmill) is more likely at this point.
(1 of 10)
TheTorontoGM
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#9 » by TheTorontoGM » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:08 pm

He blew it. Inaction and lack of conviction towards a specific direction has set us back for another season at least.
Throwback24
RealGM
And1: 41,651

Post#10 » by Throwback24 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Disapprove. I'm slowly losing hope.
Remember when’ is the lowest form of conversation.
raptors2016
Banned User
And1: 115

Post#11 » by raptors2016 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:53 pm

can't tank. can't win playoffs.

we've arrived.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#12 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:57 pm

Wow...the early results here are pretty shocking...

With only 46 votes, there are already 21 disapproving votes....that is already more than in any previous poll.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,441

Post#13 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Approve.

We are free of two contracts we convinced ourselves were unmovable in Bargnani and Gay,
We actually have players on the roster that I would consider to be assets rather than simply "moveable"
The team is watchable
And we have flexibility and assets walking into the off-season.

Considering where we were July 1st and where we are now its been an impressive shift.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#14 » by pbj » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Approve - he's cleared up Bryan's mess while making this team entertaining and competitive.

With cap space, young improving talent on cheap deals and draft picks, we're in a great position to acquire the talent needed to win long-term.
Scase
General Manager

Post#15 » by Scase » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:Wow...the early results here are pretty shocking...

With only 46 votes, there are already 21 disapproving votes....that is already more than in any previous poll.

Large shift, yes. Shocking, no.

Quite a few of us have been spamming the strongly/disapprove options for months waiting for people to finally open their eyes and see the team for what it is. Later than I'd have liked but, better late than never.
Props TZ!
Scarface844
Banned User
And1: 7,859

Post#16 » by Scarface844 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:06 pm

Once again people are over reacting. He hasnt even been on the job more then 7 months. Lets wait till the off season before we judge his performance. He got rid of 2 horrible contracts, gave us some cap space, decent players and movable assets so as of now I approve.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#17 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09 pm

btw....just a scenario for you to chew on.

Lets suppose the Raptors sign long term deals with Lowry for $10 million and Patterson for $6 million a season. Lets also assume they take on new other long-term deals other than their draft picks this year and next year.

In 2015-16, their committed payroll would be:

Derozan: $9.5 million
Lowry: $10 million
Patterson: $6 million
Novak: $3.75
Jonas: $4.6
Ross: $3.6
Draft pick 1: $1.25 million
Draft pick 2: $1.25 million

Total: $39.95 million

With a salary cap expected to be about $60 million, that means the Raptors will have 8 players under contract AND enough space to sign an elite player. Derozan will be 26. Ross will be 24. Jonas will be 23.

Of course...this would require not bringing Amir Johnson back...but I think we can overcome that.
hankscorpioLA
RealGM

Post#18 » by hankscorpioLA » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:11 pm

Scase wrote:

Quite a few of us have been spamming the strongly/disapprove options for months waiting for people to finally open their eyes and see the team for what it is. Later than I'd have liked but, better late than never.

We'll see....while there has clearly been some move to the negative, I'm pretty sure this poll will shift more to the positive later in the day.

Lets see where we are tomorrow.
Scase
General Manager

Post#19 » by Scase » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:17 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
Scase wrote:

We'll see....while there has clearly been some move to the negative, I'm pretty sure this poll will shift more to the positive later in the day.

I'm sure in the end it will still lean to the positive, especially due to the recent run they've made. However in the end I fully expect there to be significantly more disapproves than in previous polls.

You can already see the significant drop in strongly approve from the initial poll, as well as the gradual shift from approve to neither one nor the other and I expect the trend to continue.
Props TZ!
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#20 » by dTox » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:18 pm

hankscorpioLA wrote:
Scase wrote:

Translation: "Let's wait and see, we are still evaluating this poll"
TBZ for the win

Return to Toronto Raptors