RealGM TnT Board Top 25 Most Valuable Players - Final list

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Re: RealGM TnT Board Top 25 Most Valuable Players - Final li 

Post#2 » by loserX » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:01 pm

Thanks for doing the polls, Dr. P!

Interesting list as always...from my personal POV, the things that leap out at me are:

1) Aldridge is too high. Fine player having a great season, but still too high.
2) Dwight is too low. Big star, elite player, no contract worries any more. Blake is also too low.
3) I tend to think youth gets over-served when measuring value, and this year's poll is no different. That is probably just because I am old.
4) I'm a big Kawhi Leonard fan. But I don't think he belongs on this list at all. Even if I were fine with the rest of the list I'd have to think there was someone closer to Al Horford in value than him.

Will be curious to hear what the rest of y'all think now that this is said and done!
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,333

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:24 pm

Chris Paul is too high. Damien Lillard is probably too high. Marc Gasol is too low.

As another old it makes me a little sad to see no KG, Kobe, Dirk, or Duncan on the list and to realize that is absolutely correct. Its totally Lebron and KD's league now with Paul George and Anthony Davis looking for their shot.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Br0ken_Sp0ke
Rookie
And1: 745

Post#4 » by Br0ken_Sp0ke » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Love got ranked too high with 1.5 years remaining before his opt-out. Should be pretty straight forward that 3+ years of Harden/Westbrook/Griffin gives you way more security to offer up more assets.

Not to mention that Love is overrated as far as superstars go. His defense as a big is a major liability, and a big reason the Wolves are 1-11 in close game situations is because of his inability to take over games down the stretch. Name of the game is winning and Love just doesn't impact it as much as the box score would indicate.
baki wrote:Robinson and Olajuwon are about equal, but I'd give Robinson the edge for being far more critical to the team's success than Olajuwon was.

baki wrote:I'm not sure if Harden is really that much better than Lin.

baki wrote:I call everything as I see it and I'm always right
Ian Kognitow
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#5 » by Ian Kognitow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:28 pm

Nothing too egregious here.
-- Griffin and M. Gasol should each probably be half-a-dozen slots higher.
-- Aldridge and Lillard are maybe half-a-dozen slot too high.
-- Drummond is too high. He's a great young player and certainly deserves a spot on the list, but not above guys like Griffin, Gasol, or Hibbert. As good as he is, the FT shooting (which also entails being a liability in actually finishing important games) is a major problem that will likely last for his career. It would take a big improvement for him just to get to *Shaq* like proficiency.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#6 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 1, 2014 12:10 am

- It feels like Blake should've about 9th right behind Curry and Harden, who I'm not sure anymore would go over him in a redraft. But that's easier to say with how he's been dominant the last few weeks. I'm sure if it was done again now he'd go higher.

- Durant would get the #1 to himself if we voted again

- I don't agree with none of Wade, Melo, Dirk making it just because they're FAs. There is a lot of value in getting one of the best players in the league even for 1 playoffs, plus some teams would be more confident in resigning them
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#7 » by JasonStern » Sat Feb 1, 2014 12:51 am

I'm not getting the hate on youth players. the poll wasn't "who is the better player?" but rather "what player has more value?" and players like Davis, Drummond, and Lillard are on the second year of their rookie contracts, meaning not only are they paid less than fair market value for seasons to come, but a team has their restricted free agent rights once the rookie contract is up.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#8 » by Mykhyn » Sat Feb 1, 2014 1:19 am

Melo should have made the list, Noah is too high, MCW is too high

I'm a big Blake hater but hes still too low

Kawhi Leonard clearly should have been top 10 /green font
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,484

Post#9 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Feb 1, 2014 1:20 am

By draft:

2001 - 1 (Tony Parker)
2003 - 1 (Lebron James)
2004 - 1 (Dwight Howard)
2005 - 1 (Chris Paul)
2006 - 1 (Lamarcus Aldridge)
2007 - 4 (Kevin Durant, Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, Al Horford)
2008 - 4 (Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Roy Hibbert, Serge Ibaka)
2009 - 3 (Stephen Curry, James Harden, Blake Griffin)
2010 - 3 (Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall)
2011 - 2 (Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard)
2012 - 3 (Anthony Davis, Andre Drummond, Damian Lillard)
2013 - 1 (Michael Carter-Williams)
eliasrapp98
Assistant Coach
And1: 381

Post#10 » by eliasrapp98 » Sat Feb 1, 2014 2:08 am

Ian Kognitow wrote:Nothing too egregious here.
-- Griffin and M. Gasol should each probably be half-a-dozen slots higher.
-- Aldridge and Lillard are maybe half-a-dozen slot too high.
-- Drummond is too high. He's a great young player and certainly deserves a spot on the list, but not above guys like Griffin, Gasol, or Hibbert. As good as he is, the FT shooting (which also entails being a liability in actually finishing important games) is a major problem that will likely last for his career. It would take a big improvement for him just to get to *Shaq* like proficiency.

Max contract vs Rookie Contract
PG: Russell Westbrook, Reggie Jackson
SG: Andre Roberson, Anthony Morrow, Jeremy Lamb
SF: Kevin Durant, KJ McDaniels, Perry Jones
PF: Serge Ibaka, Nick Collison, Robert Covington
Cc: Al Jefferson, Steven Adams, Kendrick Perkins, Mitch McGary
ADoaN17
Lead Assistant
And1: 312

Post#11 » by ADoaN17 » Sat Feb 1, 2014 2:22 am

Melo should of made that list.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#12 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Feb 1, 2014 3:01 am

Blake Griffin 14 was absurd. (And it was when it got voted that way, as I said then.)
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,472

Post#13 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Feb 1, 2014 3:03 am

Dr Positivity wrote:RealGM's Trades and Transaction Board Top 25 Most Valuable Players, 2013-2014 edition

Incredible work doing this, start to finish was awesome.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#14 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Feb 1, 2014 3:15 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:RealGM's Trades and Transaction Board Top 25 Most Valuable Players, 2013-2014 edition

Incredible work doing this, start to finish was awesome.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

+1

And even more thanks for taking on the Least Valuable list.
That is going above and beyond.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Feb 1, 2014 3:19 am

And thanks for all the participants.
Your votes really do count here and you are allowed to defend them and perhaps influence others.

I wish everyone would participate, especially the fellow mods (not just the TnT board) who could be setting an example and encouraging greater participation and site traffic.
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
Knosh
Starter
And1: 921

Post#16 » by Knosh » Sat Feb 1, 2014 7:39 am

8 PGs in the Top 25 is just wrong. There are so many quality PGs in the league right now and it seems like you can replace a max level PG with a guy making half the money and don't lose all that much. That should affect the value of those guys...

On the other hand no centers in the Top 10 and only one SG in the entire Top 25 (two if you want to count George). Feels like scarcity of postion wasn't considered much.

I don't get LMA at all.
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 73

Post#17 » by Napoleon7 » Sat Feb 1, 2014 6:12 pm

Overall not a bad list.

1. Aldridge should be higher. A legit MVP candidate, great contract value and contract ends next year.
2. Hibbert & Gasol should be higher. Big defensive anchors that correlate directly to team wins.
3. Horford should be higher. His injury hurt his value in this pole.
4. Griffin should be slightly lower. Yes his marketability rates him higher than what his production would say.
5. I like Leonard, but top 25 he is not.

Great Thread!
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Feb 1, 2014 6:57 pm

Knosh wrote:8 PGs in the Top 25 is just wrong. There are so many quality PGs in the league right now and it seems like you can replace a max level PG with a guy making half the money and don't lose all that much. That should affect the value of those guys...

On the other hand no centers in the Top 10 and only one SG in the entire Top 25 (two if you want to count George). Feels like scarcity of postion wasn't considered much.

I don't get LMA at all.

Agree 100%

I had a hard time voting for PGs and think SGs should have had more love. For example I think Oladipo who is having a comparable season to MCW should be at least as valuable because he is a SG that can play PG. There are so many good PGs in the NBA, while SG is.probably the weakest position. It's much easier to have a clear advantage at SG than PG.

Howard was much too low despite being the best center locked up long term.
Mykhyn
General Manager
And1: 2,232

Post#19 » by Mykhyn » Sat Feb 1, 2014 8:32 pm

Trader_Joe wrote:
Knosh wrote:8 PGs in the Top 25 is just wrong. There are so many quality PGs in the league right now and it seems like you can replace a max level PG with a guy making half the money and don't lose all that much. That should affect the value of those guys...

I don't get LMA at all.

Agree 100%

I had a hard time voting for PGs and think SGs should have had more love. For example I think Oladipo who is having a comparable season to MCW should be at least as valuable because he is a SG that can play PG. There are so many good PGs in the NBA, while SG is.probably the weakest position. It's much easier to have a clear advantage at SG than PG.

Too be fair I'm pretty confident MCW could play SG if needed.

I think Leonard has more value than Oladipo(MCW too for that matter). I'm not sure any of the 3 really deserved to be on the list.

I'm not sure Howard is the best center any more. Anthony Davis maybe have passed him(assuming Davis plays C with Anderson at PF when everyone healthy). That combined with the fact that fans still remember the dwightmare caused by him for the last 2 years. I'm sure GMs remember that too. I'd definitely rather have drummond than him
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Trader_Joe » Sat Feb 1, 2014 10:54 pm

Cklbmk wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:

I don't get LMA at all.

Agree 100%

Too be fair I'm pretty confident MCW could play SG if needed.

I think Leonard has more value than Oladipo(MCW too for that matter). I'm not sure any of the 3 really deserved to be on the list.

I'm not sure Howard is the best center any more. Anthony Davis maybe have passed him(assuming Davis plays C with Anderson at PF when everyone healthy). That combined with the fact that fans still remember the dwightmare caused by him for the last 2 years. I'm sure GMs remember that too. I'd definitely rather have drummond than him

Maybe on D MCW could play SG (hes awfully skinny tho) but offensively he's a PG for sure who shoots 40/30%. How effective you he be without the ball?

And while I like Drummond's contract, he is no where near the C Howard is and I don't know when he comes close. Hibbert is close as is Gasol but Gasol only has 1.5 years left. Howard is locked up 4 years so he's not going anywhere anytime soon and I'm sure there are plenty of teams what would offer the farm for him. I wasn't thinking of Davis as a C but could see that argument.

Return to Trades and Transactions