ImageImageImageImageImage

Getting Granger? [UPDATE: Got Him!]

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Getting Granger? [UPDATE: Got Him!] 

Post#1 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:15 pm

Retweeted from Ralph Lawler's Twitter, but none of the legit media members have confirmed as of yet. Would make sense that Doc is opening up spots to sign buy-out candidates. I'm also sure Doc and company have been talking with players' agents to get a feel for their respective situations as well as lay groundwork for signings.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealFrank13/status/436608491633917952[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,143

Re: Getting Granger? 

Post#2 » by og15 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:17 pm

That's what I also thought. He hasn't been so good this season, but for cheap, there's little harm in it
Ranma
RealGM

Same Wavelength 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:21 pm

I thought, for sure, the Clips would pursue him in the offseason but that his contract would also prevent getting him this year. A buy-out would solve that, plus, it is more likely for Philly to buy him out as they are going nowhere as opposed to Indiana, where he could have still contributed in a meaningful way.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
RiversideClips
Rookie
And1: 72

Post#4 » by RiversideClips » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:21 pm

My 19 year old has been hoping for Granger in a Clips uni way before his injury! Get'er done....... if we can.
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#5 » by Don Tommy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:50 pm

I've been wanting him since the day we passed him up in the draft. I still remember the guys doing the draft saying Koralev had a promise to get drafted. We never thought Granger would be gone, and instead of drafting the guy the FO wanted, they stuck with their predraft promise.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#6 » by Forte IV » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Koroslev was so awful. Oh the Dumbleavy days
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Don Tommy
Senior
And1: 283

Post#7 » by Don Tommy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:11 pm

But without MDSr, we would still have the same old Donald Sterling as an owner. The guy that vetoed a trade involving Danny Manning because he had a dream where Manning led us to a championship. Dunleavy helped to turn Sterling into a decent NBA owner. I still can't root for him as a person however.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#8 » by mj_shoefanatic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Acquiring him will make up for the 05 draft debacle.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,089

Post#9 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:10 am

If Granger is acquired, he becomes the starting small forward. Clippers would finally have a True Big 3. He could be the Paul Pierce for this team.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#10 » by Neddy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:05 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:If Granger is acquired, he becomes the starting small forward. Clippers would finally have a True Big 3. He could be the Paul Pierce for this team.

if we get Granger and Davis, we are

CP3-------------Collison
JJ---------------Jamal---------------Green-----------Bullock
Granger-------Barnes-------------Dudley
Blake-----------Davis----------------Hedo
DJ---------------Hollins

15 strong!!!

well... 14 strong!!!
ehhhhh f it.
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#11 » by mttwlsn16 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:32 am

is it known yet if Granger will be bought out? i cant imagine philly actually keeping him. they have 9 draft picks :lol:

i assume next years roster for them will be- MCW, Noel, and a ton of rookies
Ranma
RealGM

Granger Zone 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:20 am

mttwlsn16 wrote:is it known yet if Granger will be bought out? i cant imagine philly actually keeping him. they have 9 draft picks :lol:

i assume next years roster for them will be- MCW, Noel, and a ton of rookies

Nothing confirmed as of yet but with Philly looking to be in full-tank mode, it would seem likely a buy-out would be in order. However, I hear Miami is a consideration for him and, looking closely at the tweet in the original post of this thread, it mentions the Clippers as the runner-up to sign him. Does that mean we lose out on him because he'll be in Miami? Who knows? Does he have any ill will for being passed over by the organization because of the drafting of Yaroslav Korolev? Again, who knows?

All I know is the dude has an underground Batcave underneath his home in Albuquerque, NM.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#13 » by Neddy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:30 am

damn. i missed that part about being a runner up. granger to heat would suck for us, but if that is the case i hope the pacers and heat are tangled up in a heated (no pun intended) contest where they go to game 7 with preferably a few key injuries
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Lowe & Simmons on Granger's Prospects 

Post#14 » by Ranma » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:48 am

The Trade Deadline Diary

Bill Simmons, Grantland (2/20/14)
But Granger looks done to me – we just watched a 24-game sample size of someone who couldn’t shoot anymore and lost his brakes. You lose your brakes in the NBA, you’re done. They couldn’t have relied on him against Miami … and who knows if he would have broken down before then?

Zach Lowe, Grantland (2/20/14)
They couldn’t flip Granger for a player who carried money into next season, since that would imperil Indy’s ability to re-sign Stephenson without going into the tax.

[Evan Turner] should be an upgrade over Granger, who has lost his jumper and off-the-bounce oomph...The Sixers get another second-round pick, a buyout candidate in Granger, and they hit the salary floor. Hooray! Thaddeus Young is weeping somewhere right now. Philly might not win five games the rest of the season.
Ranma
RealGM

Will Bat Granger Employ the Use of Lazarus Pit for Revival? 

Post#15 » by Ranma » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:04 am

Rob Mahoney, Sports Illustrated (2/20/14)
Granger, 30, has been a mere accessory for the Pacers since returning from lingering knee injuries. In limited minutes over the past two seasons, he’s averaged 7.9 points while shooting 35 percent — a far cry from his once-lofty numbers as Indiana’s first-option scorer. (He’s averaging 8.3 points on 35.9 percent shooting in 29 games this season.) The team’s natural evolution and Granger’s $14 million expiring contract presented an opportunity to move him, and the Pacers found a suitable trade partner in the ever-active Sixers.

Philadelphia is simply along for the ride as a means of securing yet another second-round pick, the sixth it acquired on Thursday. Granger will either play out his contract or be bought out before the end of the season, all for the cost of an expensive pending free agent Philadelphia didn’t have any interest in re-signing (Turner) and a big man who didn’t influence their plans much one way or another (Allen).

...Granger is now 22 months removed from playing even replacement-level basketball. His 49-percent true shooting and shaky floor spacing weren’t going to help a championship contender, setting the bar for an upgrade rather low.

By rule, every NBA team must pay its players $52.8 million in total salary this season, a mark which Philadelphia had yet to meet. The penalty for that deficit isn’t very severe; even in the case that the Sixers didn’t reach the salary floor by the end of the season, they would only be required to pay out the surcharge among the players on their roster. This effectively negates any reason why adding Granger’s larger salary would matter. If they hadn’t acquired him through this deal, the Sixers would be paying the same amount to other players on the roster regardless.

Trade grades: Pacers deal Danny Granger to Sixers for Evan Turner, Lavoy Allen
Angel strike1
Lead Assistant
And1: 641

Post#16 » by Angel strike1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:37 pm

He looks done to be honest
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#17 » by TheNewEra » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Any word when the buyout will become official
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#18 » by mj_shoefanatic » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Rumor is that he's pissed @Indy and will sign with MIA or SAS. :nonono:
Angel strike1
Lead Assistant
And1: 641

Post#19 » by Angel strike1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Why? Heat will lose to Indy and Indy will lose I clips. Come here get revenge
Ranma
RealGM

Plenty of Room on Roster 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Wait...whatcha talkin' about, Willis?! We currently have 3 open roster spots. Is it a money thing?

Marc Stein, ESPN (2/21/14)
Securing his release from the Sixers by next Saturday undoubtedly appeals to Granger, who is said to be miffed about the manner in which he was exiled from Indiana and is understandably intrigued by the possibility of signing with an Oklahoma City or a San Antonio or a Memphis -- or maybe even a Miami -- if he becomes a free agent.

Phoenix is an interesting option for a Granger buyout if you believe in the mystical powers of the Suns' athletic training stuff and what they might be able to do to get Granger's body right. Ditto for the Dallas Mavericks, who possess an equally adept training team, only without getting any semblance of the Phoenix fanfare. The Clippers, meanwhile, would naturally be at the top of Granger's own list, since he's an L.A. resident, but there's a sense out there that Doc Rivers and Big Baby Davis essentially already have an understanding that will bring Davis to Clipperland as soon as he clears waivers next week.

Will Sixers let Danny Granger go?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers