ImageImageImageImageImage

Getting Granger? [UPDATE: Got Him!]

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Re: Getting Granger? 

Post#21 » by LACtdom » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:07 pm

The good thing the Clippers have is that we can offer Granger a starting spot whereas MIA and SAS probably won't. However it depends what he wants more; a ring or PT.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#22 » by Forte IV » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:15 am

LACtdom wrote:The good thing the Clippers have is that we can offer Granger a starting spot whereas MIA and SAS probably won't. However it depends what he wants more; a ring or PT.

You saying we can't get him a ring? Shame on you.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
okpistolpete
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#23 » by okpistolpete » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:47 am

If he wants to come here I say we do it, if for nothing else to block him going anywhere else. His worst case scenario is that he's a 40% shooting SF who's lost a step defensively and can't get it back, in which case he plays a few minutes a game, replacing Jamison. Best case scenario he's the ultimate buy-low and keeps improving.

I would hate for that "best-case" scenario to happen in Oklahoma City, San Antonio, etc.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Instagram Love 

Post#24 » by Ranma » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:13 pm

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

In Praise of Geezy 

Post#25 » by Ranma » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Candace Buckner, The Indianapolis Star (2/21/14)
Nine years ago, Indiana Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird drafted Danny Granger, who would become one of his most beloved players. But on Thursday afternoon, Bird needed to make a quick decision regarding the future of his "favorite."

Though Bird recalled this story in his regular matter-of-fact tone, he couldn't help but express some emotion about the departure of the 30-year-old Granger, who helped carry through the dark days after the brawl, several losing seasons and finally the dawn of the Paul George era...

"It's just a tough deal," Bird said. "Danny's always been my favorite. I understand the disappointment. A lot of people say that I've been trying to trade him for a year and I haven't been doing that. I even told Danny that. I did tell him if a great opportunity arises, you can't say you'll never trade somebody."

Bird did not know if Granger's recovery from left knee surgery affected his jump shot – he made 36 percent through 29 games this season. While Bird empathizes with Granger needing time to recover, the move indicates that the Pacers do not have the luxury of time.

"My goal is to put the best team I possibly can out there right now," Bird said.

"Guys have knee injures and a lot of times it takes a full year. He was out a full year. I was out a full year one time. I know how hard it is to come back but we felt we (could) get a young kid at 25 years old and plays multiple positions and does a little bit of everything, it's just a better fit right now for what we're trying to do."

Larry Bird is 'excited' about direction of Pacers following Granger trade

Read the article below in its entirety to see how much his former teammates and other members of the organization truly like and appreciate Danny Granger beyond the following quote.

Candace Buckner, The Indianapolis Star (2/22/14)
The connection between George and Granger goes deep. The two worked out together during George's pre-draft process. They share the same agent, Aaron Mintz, partially because the he dropped Granger's name in the pitch so that George could picture himself having the same success. Also, Granger advised Bird to take George with the 10th pick in the 2010 draft. As fate would have it, the move meant that Granger was campaigning for his replacement. However, even as George ascended, he said that their relationship remained tight.

Coach Frank Vogel smiled and chuckled to himself when asked how Granger had helped the Pacers. Granger might have averaged 17.6 points through his nine-year career but Vogel knows better than most that the numbers do not show how deep Granger's impact went.

"I'm probably not the coach of this team if not for Danny Granger," Vogel said. "I want to thank him publicly for being my biggest supporter when (I was) the interim coach here and trying to turn that team around back then and obviously trying to earn a job. To have your best player be your strongest supporter is something I'll always be grateful for with Danny."

Vogel: 'I'm probably not the coach if not for Danny Granger'
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,046

Post#26 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:30 pm

That above, what Larry Bird did, is guts. Sometimes, the only way you can win is you have to give up the greatest thing that's dear to you, and for the Pacers, it's Danny Granger. Clips will have to realize this down the road. One day, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and/or Doc Rivers will be gone. I know their hearts are in the right place, but nothing lasts forever. Can the franchise keep a cool head when that untimely day comes?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#27 » by Neddy » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:That above, what Larry Bird did, is guts. Sometimes, the only way you can win is you have to give up the greatest thing that's dear to you, and for the Pacers, it's Danny Granger. Clips will have to realize this down the road. One day, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul and/or Doc Rivers will be gone. I know their hearts are in the right place, but nothing lasts forever. Can the franchise keep a cool head when that untimely day comes?

if that day ever comes, we better hope it doesn't go down like it did in Toronto a decade ago.

after drafting well with their first 5 picks since its birth, the raptors selected Damon Stoudamire, Jimmy King, Marcus Camby, T Mac, then turing Antawn Jamison into Vince Carter, they flat out made one bad decision after another. after deluding themselves that the raptors were bigger than Vince Carter to continue its little success Vince brought to that franchise, they traded Vince, making him the villain, and have never recovered since.

what i am trying to get, is that a team like the Pacers have history and tradition to let Danny Granger go and still hang on to the glory days of Reggie's era or Jalen Rose's pacers days and fans will be just fine, and other players around the league will still sign on to play with a team that is well built top to bottom. if we let go of CP3, Blake, and Doc? we are right back at being the tonight show's punch line and we are only left with Donald Sterling.

we are better off letting these guys age into Yodas and let them all retire and hang their retired jerseys. we will not recover from trading any of these guys and their wrath just because we think this little success we've had is somehow a validation of our beloved clippers becoming a legit franchise around NBA in the eyes of star players. the players who comes here comes here because we have CP3, Blake, and Doc, and that is final.
ehhhhh f it.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#28 » by TheNewEra » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Hopefully he signs and has a strong chip on his shoulder rather than sulking the entire time.
Ranma
RealGM

Clips in the Mix 

Post#29 » by Ranma » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:25 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/437282423785525248[/tweet]
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#30 » by mttwlsn16 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:36 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers and Danny Granger have been in discussions on a contract buyout and sources tells RealGM that management has given their complete cooperation.

Granger was traded by the Indiana Pacers to the 76ers at the deadline for Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen.

Should Granger receive a buyout, sources tell RealGM that he will likely decide between the Miami Heat, Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago Bulls and Dallas Mavericks.

Granger will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,027

Post#31 » by twix2500 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:40 am

If bought out then he should go to the Clippers. Perfect situation and can revive his career playing with Chris Paul. Granger would make the Clips a legit NBA Finals caliber team.
LACtdom
Sixth Man
And1: 341

Post#32 » by LACtdom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 am

SuperNova854 wrote:
LACtdom wrote:The good thing the Clippers have is that we can offer Granger a starting spot whereas MIA and SAS probably won't. However it depends what he wants more; a ring or PT.

You saying we can't get him a ring? Shame on you.

We can definitely give him a chance to get a ring but we are kidding ourselves if we think we are favourites to win a ring this year.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#33 » by TheNewEra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:30 am

Wish they would hurry up and do buyout so he can clear waivers.
Ranma
RealGM

First thing's first. 

Post#34 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:00 am

TheNewEra wrote:Wish they would hurry up and do buyout so he can clear waivers.

I don't get it but:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/437445128337104896[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Persona Non Grata in Miami 

Post#35 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:48 am

Barry Jackson, Miami Herald (2/23/14)
Danny Granger, 30, acquired by Philadelphia, reportedly wants a buyout so he can sign with the Heat or a Western Conference contender, and Caron Butler, 33, also will welcome Heat overtures if he gets a buyout from Milwaukee, as many expect. (It's too early to tell if Granger will get the buyout.)

So who would be better for Miami? Heat players would clearly prefer Butler; he and Dwyane Wade are close from their days as Heat teammates, and Granger irritated the Heat’s stars by getting in their faces after fouls in the 2012 playoffs. At the time, LeBron James called Granger’s conduct “stupid.”

Granger, 6-8, is shooting just 35.9 percent; Butler, 6-7, is shooting only 38.7 percent. But players guarded by Granger are shooting 30.9 percent, compared with 47 percent for Butler.

“They’re very comparable,” an Eastern Conference scout said. “Granger is better off the ball, Butler a little tougher.” The scout said Granger has lost a step, but Butler isn't clearly better, and the scout would lean toward Granger for Miami because the Heat could pick his brain on Pacers’ personnel and tendencies, adding “that definitely has value beyond what you get studying film.”

Ryan Williams ready to prove himself to "doubters"; Dolphins, Marino, Heat, Marlins
Ranma
RealGM

Granger Still Of Versatile Utility? 

Post#36 » by Ranma » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:35 am

Steve Perrin, Clips Nation (2/22/14)
As for Granger, I think there's little doubt that the Clippers would love to sign him, but they will have to get in line, and unlike with Davis, they don't hold all the cards. The Heat and Spurs, last year's NBA Finalists, could both be interested in his services, and the Thunder could certainly use a bench scorer. Granger could actually be very useful for the Clippers -- Rivers likes to play small, and Granger is certainly as viable as a stretch four as Turkoglu. Granger played the four for Team USA in the World Championships a few years back and spent significant time defending Blake Griffin after David West was ejected from the Pacers-Clippers in Indianapolis last month. If Granger could provide the versatility to play the three or the four and also stretch the floor (he's a career 38% three point shooter) he could be great for the Clippers. There's no guarantee that Granger will even be bought out, but I expect Rivers to make a pitch if he is.

Browsing for bargain ballers in the buyout bin
okpistolpete
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#37 » by okpistolpete » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:27 am

I want him. It's a shame Doc is on a road-trip right now, because he can get anyone on board with a 1-on-1 meeting like nobody else. Essentially trading Byron Mullens & Antawn Jamison for Glen Davis & Danny Granger, without even giving up a 2nd rounder or taking on extra salary beyond this year would be absolutely huge.

Today's win at Oklahoma City on ABC came at the perfect time. I'm sure many available players took notice, including Granger.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#38 » by QRich3 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm

We did have to give up a second to unload BJ, but that's alright. I'd definitely love to get Granger, even if his performance might have fallen off a cliff since his injuries (and that's the only reason we have a chance to sign him at all). A great shooter at the wing that can play adequate defense is now this team biggest need, he'd fit like it's nothing.

Why is he even considering Miami btw? didn't he personally hate all of them? Apparently the Heat are signing Liggins soon to their last empty roster spot and the Spurs could re-sign Shannon Brown, and are said to be interested in Jamison as well. If any of that happened Granger would have to choose between us, the Bulls and the Mavs. It should be a no brainer.
TheNewEra
RealGM

Post#39 » by TheNewEra » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Hope this is not another long drawn out process like Bynum.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#40 » by Forte IV » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Well March 1st is the deadline to sign players and them be eligible for playoffs, so I'd assume it gets ton sometime this week.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM

Return to Los Angeles Clippers