Bluefield Blue Jays
Appalachian League (A)
Roster | Stats | Schedule
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Re: 2014 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by Graham's Cracker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:27 pm

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140331&content_id=70493552&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t422&sid=t422

Bisons announce opening day roster

The 25-man squad will feature 17 players who have already played at the Major League level, including 16 that reached 'The Bigs' a season ago. The club will also feature four of the top young players in the Blue Jays minor league system.

The Bisons pitching staff fits that ideal formula of having exciting top prospects and established veterans. The rotation will include RHP MARCUS STROMAN and LHP SEAN NOLIN, who are rated the #2 and #10 top prospects in the Blue Jays system respectively, according to Baseball America. Stroman struck out 129 batters in only 111.2 innings last season for New Hampshire (AA), while Nolin enters his fifth year as a pro with a career .676 winning percentage (24-11). RHP KYLE DRABEK was the Blue Jays #1 prospect a few seasons ago and is healthy now after 2012 'Tommy John' surgery. LHP RICKY ROMERO tossed 81 strikeouts for the Bisons last year and was an American League All-Star in 2011. RHP LIAM HENDRIKS won 17 International League games as a starter with Rochester, 2011-2013.

SP
Stroman
Nolin
Drabek
Romero
Hendricks

RP
Wagner
Stilson
Storey
Jenkins
Walden
Rasmussen
Tepera

OF
Gose
Pillar
Nanita
Carroll
TUIASOSOPO

IF
Dan Johnson
Laroche
Goedert
Diaz
Kawasaki
Getz

C
Nickeas
Murphy
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#3 » by Graham's Cracker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:32 pm

Top Prospect, NH Native Headline Fisher Cats Projected Roster

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140331&content_id=70493288&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t463&sid=t463

The new group of players is headlined by the Blue Jays' top overall prospect, RHP Aaron Sanchez, and New Hampshire native and 2013 Fisher Cats All-Star Kevin Nolan. That duo is part of a team that features a host of Double-A veterans as well as some key newcomers, all with the hopes of bringing the Fisher Cats another Eastern League Championship.

SP
Sanchez
McGuire
Lawrence
Bibens-Dirkx
Scott Copeland

RP
Gracey
Boone
Ybarra
John Anderson
Tony Davis
Richard Bleier
Gregory Infante

C
Jimenez
Aaron Munoz

IF
Nolan
Burns
Jaobo
Berti
Schimpf
Mooney
Fermin
Yusuf Carter

OF
Brad Glenn
Kenny Wilson
Crouse
Jon Jones
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#4 » by Graham's Cracker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Lugnuts announce prospect-loaded roster

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140331&content_id=70494398&vkey=pr_t499&fext=.jsp&sid=t499
In conjunction with the Toronto Blue Jays, the Lansing Lugnuts announced a loaded 2014 Opening Day roster headlined by center fielder D.J. Davis, third baseman Mitch Nay and frontline pitching talent.

Third-year manager John Tamargo, Jr. will direct a Lugnuts squad that features eight returning players alongside 10 of Baseball America's Top 30 Blue Jays prospects - including six of the Jays' 12 best minor-league talents

Piggyback Tandems
Tirado/Labourt
De Jong/Cardona
Robson/Gabryszwski

Rest of the pitchers
Graveman
Murphy
Gonzalez
Jimmy Cordero
Silverstein
Espinosa
Dragmire

Position Players
DJ Davis
Carlos Ramirez
Loveless
Parmley
Nay
Dean
Atkinson
Nessy
Thon
Lugo
Saez
Leblebijian
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#5 » by Graham's Cracker » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:59 pm

Dunedin hasn't released their roster yet from what I can see.

Just based on the Lansing lineup, I'm guessing some of the players listed below will be starting the year with Dunedin:

Smith Jr
Chris Hawkins ?
Knecht
Newman
Baligod

Hobson
Patterson

Klein
Chung
Rankin ?

Sweeney
Lopes
Flores
Guerrero
Opitz
Pierre

Daniel Norris
Matt Boyd
Taylor Cole
Ben White
Jesse Hernandez
Justin Jackson
Girodo
Danny Barnes
Wil Browning
Meyer
McFarland
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#6 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 pm

So Jenkins doesn't even get a starting spot in Buffalo over a guy like Hendricks? I would have thought he'd be at or near the top of the list for an early-season spot starter.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#7 » by dagger » Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:34 pm

Graham's Cracker wrote:Dunedin hasn't released their roster yet from what I can see.

Just based on the Lansing lineup, I'm guessing some of the players listed below will be starting the year with Dunedin:

Smith Jr
Chris Hawkins ?
Knecht
Newman
Baligod

Pompey?
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM

Post#8 » by dagger » Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:35 pm

I guess this thread is where we will retreat for some comfort and hope. So drool a little.

Interesting bit about Smoral and his finger issues last season and how they might have impacted his performance negatively.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... b&sid=milb
At the crossroads: Matt Smoral, Left-handed Pitcher
Two years ago, the Blue Jays lured Smoral away from a commitment to North Carolina when they selected him with the 50th pick in the Draft. Injuries have stifled the lefty's development since, though, and Toronto has seen just 25 2/3 innings out of their $2 million investment, all in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League.

Smoral and the Jays are confident 2014 will be different. After a stress fracture in his right foot robbed the towering 6-foot-8 prospect of most of his senior year of college and all of his potential first professional season, Smoral debuted in 2013. Then another injury hindered his development. A problematic fingernail led to an infection and a nagging array of blisters that kept Smoral from ever feeling right on the mound.

In November, the Jays took a page out of San Francisco Giants reliever Jeremy Affeldt's playbook. Affeldt underwent surgery early in his career to remove part of a similarly troublesome fingernail, and last fall, Smoral did the same. This spring, the 20-year-old has been blister-free.

"[The blisters are] no longer an issue. He's a big guy with a great arm, and he's had a couple bumps in the road health-wise," LaCava said. "It just takes a little longer sometimes for these [big] guys to put it together. Smoral is a guy who has been frustrated with it, but we still believe in him."

If he's able to stay healthy, Smoral excites the Blue Jays with serious stuff. The long-limbed southpaw can rev his fastball up to 96 miles per hour and couples it with a solid slider and changeup.

"Hopefully he's turned the corner, and this year, we'll get to see him, particularly this summer, get out and do some things," LaCava said.

Toronto can afford to take things slowly with the young Smoral, who will head to another short-season gig in 2014.

Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#9 » by Graham's Cracker » Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:46 pm

dagger wrote:I guess this thread is where we will retreat for some comfort and hope. So drool a little.

I was thinking the same (similar to last year). Today I was thinking, I'm sure glad that AA didn't deal Sanchez and Stroman in the off-season.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#10 » by Graham's Cracker » Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:49 pm

dagger wrote:
Graham's Cracker wrote:Dunedin hasn't released their roster yet from what I can see.

Smith Jr
Chris Hawkins ?
Knecht
Newman
Baligod

Pompey?

Right, I knew I forgot someone. Probably more than one actually.
dagger
RealGM

Post#11 » by dagger » Tue Apr 1, 2014 5:13 pm

Graham's Cracker wrote:
dagger wrote:

Smith Jr
Chris Hawkins ?
Knecht
Newman
Baligod

Pompey?

Right, I knew I forgot someone. Probably more than one actually.

It shows you how the system was vacated by the trades in the winter of 2012-13. Last year, there was very little to take an interest in at BUF, a bit of pitching and Burns to watch in AA, and almost nothing of interest besides Sanchez at A. Real interest was in Lansing, down. This year, a bit more at AAA, not much besides Sanchez and Burns at AA, but more to watch at A Advanced and down. Next year, hopefully AA watching will be a must, too.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#12 » by Graham's Cracker » Wed Apr 2, 2014 1:38 am

So the official D-Jays roster was released.

Pitchers (13 + 1 DL)
Barnes, Danny
Boyd, Matt
Browning, Wil
Champlin, Kramer
Cole, Taylor
Girodo, Chad
Hernandez, Jesse
Jackson, Justin
McFarland, Blake
Meyer, Ajay (DL)
Nieves, Efrain
Norris, Daniel
Sikula, Arik
White, Ben

Catchers (2 + 1 DL)
Chung, Derrick
Rankin, Pierce (DL)
Reeves, Mike

Infielders (7 + 1 DL)
Flores, Jorge
Guerrero, Emilio
Hobson, K.C.
Lopes, Christian
Opitz, Shane (DL)
Patterson, Kevin
Pierre, Gustavo
Sweeny, Kellen

Outfielders (5)
Baligod, Nick
Knecht, Marcus
Newman, Matt
Pompey, Dalton
Smith, Jr., Dwight

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140401&content_id=70615090&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t424&sid=t424
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#13 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Apr 2, 2014 1:47 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:So Jenkins doesn't even get a starting spot in Buffalo over a guy like Hendricks? I would have thought he'd be at or near the top of the list for an early-season spot starter.

I'm not a fan of that move either. Three of the five starters in AAA cannot get MLB hitters out (Romero, Drabek, and Hendricks). That's not good for depth purposes. Jenkins is probably a #5 starter at best, but he's at least proven he can get through 5 innings at the MLB level without imploding.
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#14 » by There There » Wed Apr 2, 2014 3:18 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:So Jenkins doesn't even get a starting spot in Buffalo over a guy like Hendricks? I would have thought he'd be at or near the top of the list for an early-season spot starter.

I'm not a fan of that move either. Three of the five starters in AAA cannot get MLB hitters out (Romero, Drabek, and Hendricks). That's not good for depth purposes. Jenkins is probably a #5 starter at best, but he's at least proven he can get through 5 innings at the MLB level without imploding.

He really hasn't though.

If 15 hits and 4 walks in 10 innings isn't living on the brink of implosion, then I don't know what is.
Those were his two starts last season that didn't happen in PETCO.

His recent track record starting in AA/AAA has been terrible. If he's unable to get minor league hitters out, why would you expect anything differently against major league hitters.

However, once they moved him to the pen last year, his walk rate dropped, his strikeout rate increased slightly and he started to induce a higher number of ground balls.

He definitely added a couple of mph on his FB, sitting more consistently in the 90-93 range out of the pen.

I'm usually not a fan of prematurely moving guys to the pen, but everything we've seen from Jenkins indicates that if he's going to have any success at this level, it likely will be out of the pen. So I don't see the issue moving him now.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#15 » by Michael Bradley » Wed Apr 2, 2014 5:05 pm

There There wrote:
Michael Bradley wrote:

He really hasn't though.

If 15 hits and 4 walks in 10 innings isn't living on the brink of implosion, then I don't know what is.
Those were his two starts last season that didn't happen in PETCO.

His recent track record starting in AA/AAA has been terrible. If he's unable to get minor league hitters out, why would you expect anything differently against major league hitters.

However, once they moved him to the pen last year, his walk rate dropped, his strikeout rate increased slightly and he started to induce a higher number of ground balls.

He definitely added a couple of mph on his FB, sitting more consistently in the 90-93 range out of the pen.

I'm usually not a fan of prematurely moving guys to the pen, but everything we've seen from Jenkins indicates that if he's going to have any success at this level, it likely will be out of the pen. So I don't see the issue moving him now.

His sample size as a starter is very small, and by no means am I saying he's going to perform at a high level without improvement (K rates in particular), but he hasn't embarrassed himself.

For example, in his relief outings that lasted 3 innings or more last season, he gave up 1 earned run in 14 innings (7 K, 2 BB, 8 H) against Boston, Baltimore, and Kansas City (IOW, not Petco). Does that mean he would have been able to go 5-6 innings with similar results? Maybe not, but as an emergency starter, I'd trust him to get through 5 innings and keep the team in the game before I feel comfortable with Drabek, Romero, or Hendriks to do the same, especially if his improved velocity can stick when stretched out.

Ultimately, I agree his future is probably in the pen, or a #5 starter, but unfortunately, he's probably the 3rd best starter (in terms of MLB rotation depth) in AAA behind Stroman and Nolin. Drabek is coming off two TJS's and couldn't find the plate when he was healthy (he is destined to be in relief, IMO) and Romero is just about done barring a miracle, so my main concern is having to watch them start MLB games this season if injuries start to pile up again.
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#16 » by There There » Wed Apr 2, 2014 6:02 pm

Michael Bradley wrote:His sample size as a starter is very small, and by no means am I saying he's going to perform at a high level without improvement (K rates in particular), but he hasn't embarrassed himself.

For example, in his relief outings that lasted 3 innings or more last season, he gave up 1 earned run in 14 innings (7 K, 2 BB, 8 H) against Boston, Baltimore, and Kansas City (IOW, not Petco). Does that mean he would have been able to go 5-6 innings with similar results? Maybe not, but as an emergency starter, I'd trust him to get through 5 innings and keep the team in the game before I feel comfortable with Drabek, Romero, or Hendriks to do the same, especially if his improved velocity can stick when stretched out.

Ultimately, I agree his future is probably in the pen, or a #5 starter, but unfortunately, he's probably the 3rd best starter (in terms of MLB rotation depth) in AAA behind Stroman and Nolin. Drabek is coming off two TJS's and couldn't find the plate when he was healthy (he is destined to be in relief, IMO) and Romero is just about done barring a miracle, so my main concern is having to watch them start MLB games this season if injuries start to pile up again.

I really think you're glossing over his inability to get minor league hitters out, which is a much larger sample size. There's about 150 innings over 2012/2013 of incredibly mediocre pitching; a significant drop in his already underwhelming strikeout rate from his first pass through AA and a large spike in his home run rates. Jenkins was supposed to be a guy with solid sinking action on his FB which is what, even without the strikeouts, would have let him survive in that back of the rotation, innings eater kind of role. His fly ball rates are a big red flag.

I would guess his increased velocity would not carry over to a starting role and is a result of being able to have more effort in his delivery because of the role. And you can't extrapolate 3 innings of work over five. Even going three innings, he's barely turning the lineup over. Outside of his outing against Houston, he didn't have any other relief appearances where he had to face more than two batters twice.

Stroman and Nolin are clearly ahead of him on the depth chart.

There's not much else you can do with Romero unless you cut ties with him.

Drabek's ultimate path back to the majors may be as a reliever, but he did enough in his minor league stint last year that you want to give him another shot in AAA this year.

And Hendriks has a fairly similar profile to Jenkins, with more sustained minor league success.

It's not clear yet how they plan to use Jenkins out of the pen, so he could wind up going 3-4 innings at a time to try and keep him stretched out in case they need to go to him in an emergency. But, if this team has to go through Redmond/Rogers/Happ/Stroman/Nolin and still need Jenkins to make a start, then none of this really matters because it will only amount to another tremendously disappointing season.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#17 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Apr 2, 2014 6:42 pm

Jenkins' minor league numbers are marred by one season at AA in 2012, a level that he had performed very well at in a similar sample size the year prior. The following article makes a case for not putting much stock in his 2013 minor league numbers:

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/ar ... r&c_id=tor

In an admittedly small major league sample of 65 innings, Jenkins has been an above-average pitcher. Which isn't to say I think he figures to be an above-average pitcher. Rather I'm saying he deserves to be at the forefront of the conversation for a call-up if/when a starter goes down. Putting him in the bullpen is another slap in the face, especially when guys like Hendricks and Romero get the nod instead. (FWIW as long as Romero is with the organization he should be starting, but IMO it should be at lower levels).
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#18 » by Kaizen » Wed Apr 2, 2014 10:50 pm

http://jimcallis.mlblogs.com/2014/04/02 ... 7-percent/

The Jays have $9,458,500 to spend on the draft this year and $2,852,900 to spend on international players.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst

Post#19 » by Graham's Cracker » Thu Apr 3, 2014 2:38 am

Season starts tomorrow

Clearwater @ Dunedin 6:30 PM
Matt Boyd

Fishercats @ Trenton 7:05 PM - on Milb.TV
Sanchez

Rochester @ Bisons 2:05 PM - on Milb.TV
Stroman