Draft Chat 2014

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Draft Chat 2014 

Post#201 » by Icness » Sat May 10, 2014 1:21 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:F* you NOL, baptiste off the board

The Lions were not interested in taking him, they were not that high on SJB. Not real high on Desir from what I gather either.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#202 » by Icness » Sat May 10, 2014 1:21 am

The Lions were not interested in taking him, they were not that high on SJB. Not real high on Desir from what I gather either.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#203 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:29 am

Icness wrote:

Even in the 3rd round? i would think that would have been tremendous value. Is nix in play?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#204 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:04 am

tuitt should be there Rams took DT in the first round
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#205 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:06 am

Injury concerns and problems with Weight, Fairley 2.0. Talent there though and our lions and their draft boards
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#206 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:10 am

Center, fill a need, love the pick, had the highest grade of centers left on the board. Rather have had martin, however who ever we picked would have been behind Railoa , glad we didn't give up value.

We got 2 fourth rounders, back up QB and S should be the pick
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#207 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat May 10, 2014 2:21 am

Icness wrote:Very happy with the move for Van Noy.

The player I hinted at yesterday was Liberty CB Walt Aikens. With the way things are going he could wind up being there in the 3rd.

Or the 4th
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#208 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:29 am

i'd hope we trade next years fourth and this years 6th rounder to move up to grab a corner. 3 4th round picks in this draft could plug some holes.

next pick has to be a corner or safety, if a good QB is there, you grab him.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#209 » by Piston Pete » Sat May 10, 2014 1:13 pm

CB Walt Aikens would be an intriguing pick in the 4th.

Is QB Logan Thomas still available?

Will WR Martavis Bryant make it to the 5th round?
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#210 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:21 am

TJ Jones WR- Special Teams player, may have the speed to be 3rd receiver. Expectations not high

Caraun Reid ,DT- Could be our starting DT in 2 years, really raw, but young and athletic. can play inside and outside

Nevin Lawson ,CB- Supposedly a play maker in the secondary, gots some speed, he wasn't graded high. There wasn't much left to pick from. Makes me question if we could have addressed the backup center roll later in the draft

Larry Webster- Freak athlete, Devin Taylor 2.0, i think as this kid gets stronger, he'll get better. I think we got good value with this pick
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#211 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 am

Undrafted Signings:

QB James Franklin (Missouri)- Really like this signing, diff type of QB.

WR Andrew Peacock (Appalachian State)-

TE Jacob Maxwell (Louisiana-Lafayette)

OT Cornelius Lucas (Kansas State)- This guy is huge, low risk high reward

S Gabe Lynn (Oklahoma)

S Jerome Couplin (William & Mary)
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#212 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun May 11, 2014 12:39 am

Also Report is that Swanson can also play guard. I'm happy with the selection as it adds depth to our OL, and we have a potential replacement in railoa or Sims next year. They had the same mindset when they draft Warford, and that turned out well, hopefully this does too
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#213 » by ajaX82 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:18 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:Undrafted Signings:

QB James Franklin (Missouri)- Really like this signing, diff type of QB.

WR Andrew Peacock (Appalachian State)-

TE Jacob Maxwell (Louisiana-Lafayette)

OT Cornelius Lucas (Kansas State)- This guy is huge, low risk high reward

S Gabe Lynn (Oklahoma)

S Jerome Couplin (William & Mary)

Typically not a list one cares about much but after Fauria and Waddle last year, now I'm looking for that diamond in the rough. Franklin could take the 3rd QB spot from Moore....he was really good last year when healthy.

Blkbrd671 wrote:TJ Jones WR- Special Teams player, may have the speed to be 3rd receiver. Expectations not high

Caraun Reid ,DT- Could be our starting DT in 2 years, really raw, but young and athletic. can play inside and outside

Nevin Lawson ,CB- Supposedly a play maker in the secondary, gots some speed, he wasn't graded high. There wasn't much left to pick from. Makes me question if we could have addressed the backup center roll later in the draft

Larry Webster- Freak athlete, Devin Taylor 2.0, i think as this kid gets stronger, he'll get better. I think we got good value with this pick

You seem to like the 2 D-linemen we drafted and aren't as high on the other two; I'm the complete opposite. Jones will play ST and hopefully be WR3 or WR4. I actually do have some expectations for him; solid, unflashy WR that is going to catch the ball and be a nice target for Matt. Great value.

Lawson should compete with Bentley for slot CB. Very fast, agile and perfect for the role. Again, with so many corners on the roster, someone has gotta step up, right?

Webster is PS material for at least 1, if not 2, years. Complete project and I don't have super high hopes given his one year of college football experience.

Reid is interesting, should slide into the DT rotation. Will rush the passer decently, hopefully DL coach can mold him
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#214 » by ajaX82 » Sun May 11, 2014 4:21 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:Also Report is that Swanson can also play guard. I'm happy with the selection as it adds depth to our OL, and we have a potential replacement in railoa or Sims next year. They had the same mindset when they draft Warford, and that turned out well, hopefully this does too

From what I have read he seems to be a smart, passionate player that needs some time to bulk up and work on some quickness. What better way to be ready than to learn for a year with a phenomenal OL coaching staff, a mentor in Raiola and to get to work out with an NFL strength coach? Like Reiff, by next year I bet he is much further along and ready to plug and play. Very good foresight with this pick
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#215 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:28 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Also Report is that Swanson can also play guard. I'm happy with the selection as it adds depth to our OL, and we have a potential replacement in railoa or Sims next year. They had the same mindset when they draft Warford, and that turned out well, hopefully this does too

From what I have read he seems to be a smart, passionate player that needs some time to bulk up and work on some quickness. What better way to be ready than to learn for a year with a phenomenal OL coaching staff, a mentor in Raiola and to get to work out with an NFL strength coach? Like Reiff, by next year I bet he is much further along and ready to plug and play. Very good foresight with this pick

I think its a good pick, my only problem with that is that we could have gotten better value at the CB position in the 3rd than the 4th, but got similar value for a center in the 4th as oppose to 3rd. Our secondary needs so much help. Now this is based off of someone elses scouting reports, and Lions have their evals. If one of our OL get injured and he's able to get good reps, this pick is going to look even better
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#216 » by Blkbrd671 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:40 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
Typically not a list one cares about much but after Fauria and Waddle last year, now I'm looking for that diamond in the rough. Franklin could take the 3rd QB spot from Moore....he was really good last year when healthy.

Feel the exact same way, Franklin is a very interesting prospect, he's a dual threat QB, which is only thing that our offense is lacking.

You seem to like the 2 D-linemen we drafted and aren't as high on the other two; I'm the complete opposite.

Jones will play ST and hopefully be WR3 or WR4. I actually do have some expectations for him; solid, unflashy WR that is going to catch the ball and be a nice target for Matt. Great value.

He'll look to compete with Broyles in the slot, good ST player. I did a little more research about him and he's prime for diamond in the rough pick. He's known for good route running and has strong fundamentals, i tend to believe guys who play the game right will produce. Lombardi is so spoiled

Lawson should compete with Bentley for slot CB. Very fast, agile and perfect for the role. Again, with so many corners on the roster, someone has gotta step up, right?

Bentley is farther along than lawson and Bentley is also a lot bigger. Its always nice to have talent and depth at the CB position. One thing i find very interesting is that Austin and our FO did not have CB at the list of top needs to address. Be interesting to see what a former secondary coach can do to our secondary, because i do believe we have talent back there.

Webster is PS material for at least 1, if not 2, years. Complete project and I don't have super high hopes given his one year of college football experience.

We don't have much depth at the DE position, and this kid is huge and athletic, i think he'll be a situational pass rusher.

Reid is interesting, should slide into the DT rotation. Will rush the passer decently, hopefully DL coach can mold him

I'm always curious about players that dominate at a not so infamous conference. Learning behind suh and fairley will help
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#217 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:05 am

Ian Rapoport ✔
@RapSheet
Follow

#Lions take an interesting sleeper: #Princeton DT Carun Reid. Veteran DL coach: “At the Senior Bowl, he was kicking everyone’s ass.”
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#218 » by Piston Pete » Tue May 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Any news as to how we plan on using Larry Webster?

Do we see him as a DE or TE?

In many of his pre-draft workouts, he did a lot of TE drills too. I heard he was pretty impressive as well. He's raw as a DE, so maybe we switch him to TE? At 6'7", 250 and as athletic as he is, he could be a very interesting TE to groom as our TE4/5.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#219 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:03 am

Piston Pete wrote:Any news as to how we plan on using Larry Webster?

Do we see him as a DE or TE?

In many of his pre-draft workouts, he did a lot of TE drills too. I heard he was pretty impressive as well. He's raw as a DE, so maybe we switch him to TE? At 6'7", 250 and as athletic as he is, he could be a very interesting TE to groom as our TE4/5.

He did some TE drills on his pro day, that was about it. He's being drafted to play DE. While lombardi is a offensive guru and i would not be surprised to see him in offensive packages, we have 3 TE's who are all capable, and we need depth and talent at DE, risking a player in a offensive package when we have more than enough capable bodies would seem like a unnecessary risk.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#220 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:27 am

Interesting piece

Despite the national media’s insistence, the Lions’ secondary was not as bad as advertised in 2013. They gave up a fair amount of yards, but last time I checked yards didn’t equate to wins. The Lions had the best third-down defense in the NFL last year, and one of the best of the last decade. They were also the best defense in the red zone and ranked in the top half of the league in almost every major category graded by ProFootballFocus.com, including several top 10 rankings.

Ebron isn’t Graham, but they have similar skill sets and will be used in similar fashions. Pettigrew will line up as a traditional tight end, in most cases, and Ebron will line up in the slot just like Tony Scheffler did. This allows the Lions to maximize Pettigrew’s blocking and intermediate route running while threatening the defense with Ebron in the slot. Ebron will either draw a linebacker in coverage, which is a speed mismatch, or a defensive back, which is a size mismatch. Ebron isn’t a great blocker, but he’s not terrible, and if he has to block a nickel corner or a safety he will easily overpower them. This gives the Lions a big advantage in the running game because defenses will have to respect Ebron’s receiving skills, but doing so will give the Lions great matchups in the running game.

Most fans don’t realize how difficult the center position is mentally. The center has to read the defensive front and call out the protection scheme to the other linemen. He has to understand the tendencies of all the players in the front seven and know where blitzers could/will come from. He also needs to be able to change the calls on the fly based off any pre-snap movement by the defensive front. That responsibility is very difficult for a rookie to pick up and handle while adjusting to the speed and strength of NFL defensive lineman. Swanson will be able to sit for a year and learn the nuances of the position and then take over next season. Swanson, like Larry Warford last year, had a very impressive track record against some very good SEC defensive tackles, so this pick could certainly give the Lions one of the best young offensive lines in the league.

Return to Detroit Lions