Kyle Lowry VS Kyrie Irving

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

Boogie-Boogz
Rookie
And1: 9

Kyle Lowry VS Kyrie Irving 

Post#1 » by Boogie-Boogz » Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Who do you take? Who would you offer a contract to first in free agency?
Quotatious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,142

Re: Kyle Lowry VS Kyrie Irving 

Post#2 » by Quotatious » Tue May 27, 2014 12:26 pm

Right now, I think that Lowry is quite easily the better player, but Kyrie is much younger, and has more potential. It's an especially difficult question because of the way you asked - "who would you offer a contract to first in free agency" - I'm leaning slightly towards Irving, although like I've said, Lowry is the better player right now.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Re: Kyle Lowry VS Kyrie Irving 

Post#3 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue May 27, 2014 12:26 pm

From a personal standpoint, I like Lowry's game a lot better. I think Irving still has a lot of growing up to do before he's a big time contributor, and really he hasn't yet topped his rookie campaign, which is a huge red flag.

Lowry was the better player in 2014, by quite a bit IMO, but you still have to factor in that this is the first time Lowry's played at that level, and he's 28 years old. If I'm getting this version of Lowry for the life of the contract, I'll take that, but it's no guarantee.

Irving obviously trumps Lowry in scoring talent, but he's yet to figure out how to apply those skills to the team concept. We've seen a lot of decent scorers (Deng, Waiters) actually struggle next to him. How much of this was brown's offense and how much is irving's mindset we don't know, but that's another thing that would absolutely make me hesitate.

Finally, the contract. If I am paying Irving the max vs. Lowry at around $10-12 million, this is a no-brainer for Lowry. There are far too many risks for me to commit to Irving at the max at this point, as I'm not very high on him at all. Of course, knowing NBA GM's, Lowry will likely get paid a lot more than $10 million.

Tough comparison, but I'd probably go Lowry depending on how much money is involved.
ā€œIā€™m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.ā€

Return to Player Comparisons