ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Patrick Paterson the Next Amir Johnson

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Is Patrick Paterson the Next Amir Johnson 

Post#1 » by sweetcity » Fri Jul 4, 2014 3:30 pm

Let me first say, I love Amir Johnson - he is the Udonis Haslem of this franchise and I hope next summer we can retain him for a reasonable term and price

On to Patrick Paterson

4 years ago around this time of the year the "decision" happened. Chris Bosh left the franchise and Amir Johnson's extension at $6m a year seemed like a huge overpayment...

Patrick Paterson came to us as a throw in, just as Amir Johnson did. A diamond in the rough trade so to speak.

PP fits perfectly with this lineup, he's young, and he plays the stretch 4 perfectly which is ultimately the fit we need beside JV.

I think we need to gamble on Patrick Paterson that he will earn his contract, just like Amir Johnson.
Rejected
Veteran
And1: 2,741

Re: Is Patrick Paterson the Next Amir Johnson 

Post#2 » by Rejected » Fri Jul 4, 2014 3:34 pm

I think Pat is a really key piece for this team. I'd like to stay around 4/20 but I could see 4/24, anymore is a huge risk and over pay, but Pat is vital to our team going forward. Love his game and his personality and temperament, has the trust of the coaching staff and likes the city and situation.
Cold Logic
Banned User
And1: 328

Post#3 » by Cold Logic » Fri Jul 4, 2014 3:47 pm

Rejected wrote:I think Pat is a really key piece for this team. I'd like to stay around 4/20 but I could see 4/24, anymore is a huge risk and over pay, but Pat is vital to our team going forward. Love his game and his personality and temperament, has the trust of the coaching staff and likes the city and situation.

I would do between 5-6 mil, but over 3 years with the 3rd a team option.
TheSamMitchell
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,864

Post#4 » by TheSamMitchell » Fri Jul 4, 2014 3:54 pm

Cold Logic wrote:
Rejected wrote:I think Pat is a really key piece for this team. I'd like to stay around 4/20 but I could see 4/24, anymore is a huge risk and over pay, but Pat is vital to our team going forward. Love his game and his personality and temperament, has the trust of the coaching staff and likes the city and situation.

I would do between 5-6 mil, but over 3 years with the 3rd a team option.

2Pat wouldn't take that. Remember he has Orlando "courting" him.
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#5 » by HeartBreaking » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:00 pm

amir sitll has a lot to give if he can somehow stay healthy. He impacted game 7 like crazy, i can only imagine what this guy would do if his body allowed him to push that hard every game
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#6 » by SHFT » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:01 pm

Same as in potential diamond in the rough from trade filler - yes.

Same as in impact on the court - helllllll no Amir defense is way to good.

That being said I hope we keep The Patman.
Roland Brice
Banned User
And1: 2,705

Post#7 » by Roland Brice » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:01 pm

Take 4 per season or GTFO. Yes, he was key for us but let's not act like he's more than he is. His biggest asset to us is being a stretch 4 and those aren't exactly rare in the modern NBA.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,490

Post#8 » by bboyskinnylegs » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:10 pm

I hope the days of us gambling on contracts are over. Either offer him what you believe is fair value, or make the decision on matching a deal he signs from another team.
EnterpriseSol
Junior
And1: 656

Post#9 » by EnterpriseSol » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:11 pm

Would rather have PP as a back-up not a starter, and get a "name-brand" PF.
Hard to name names on this one, but ever since Bosh has left Raps have been weak at the 4 spot.
Amir Johnson was very fragile last season, Hansbrough is a liability on the court (setting all-time records on fouls per minute).
Raps are a joke at the PF spot truth be told.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#10 » by IMAN5 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:11 pm

Roland Brice wrote:Take 4 per season or GTFO. Yes, he was key for us but let's not act like he's more than he is. His biggest asset to us is being a stretch 4 and those aren't exactly rare in the modern NBA.

There is no way he comes back for 4 a season, shaun livingston as a back u pg just got 6 mill a year, ben gordon who was waived and hasn't done anything relevant in years got 4.5 mill a year, kaman coming off his worst year and with only a few good years remaining got 5 mill a year.

patterson's deal starts at a minimum of 6 mill. nothing less.
instagram.com/510movement
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#11 » by Dalek » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:11 pm

2Pat is a very likeable player but he is nowhere near the defender that Amir is.I am more intrigued by Al Farouq Aminu who rebounds better and is a better defender. He could fill in for some of the things that Amir does. I give credit for 2Pats floor spreading ability, but he is nowhere near a starting PF in the NBA. He is more of a bench player.
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#12 » by Rhythm043 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:12 pm

I like Patrick Patterson. I've followed him and Ed Davis since they were both a Raptor draft target back in 2010. It would be interesting to see the type of numbers Ed Davis would have put up with a similar role. It's sad he was rarely used in Memphis. I think hes a 10 and 10 guy for sure if given a good amount of minutes but PP was a better fit last year than Davis would have been. That being said, if Amir is going to have ankle problems all year maybe they would want to look into bringing Ed back.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,998

Post#13 » by kalel123 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:15 pm

MLE type contract would be about max I would give him. I think somebody would reasonably offer him that. Anything over it would be overpayment.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using RealGM Forums mobile app
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#14 » by LastNameEver » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:17 pm

PP was a lottery talent at one point, big man usually take longer to come into their own. He's still young by NBA standards, but Amir was a veteran at 24.
Roland Brice
Banned User

Post#15 » by Roland Brice » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:23 pm

IMAN5 wrote:
Roland Brice wrote:Take 4 per season or GTFO. Yes, he was key for us but let's not act like he's more than he is. His biggest asset to us is being a stretch 4 and those aren't exactly rare in the modern NBA.

There is no way he comes back for 4 a season, shaun livingston as a back u pg just got 6 mill a year, ben gordon who was waived and hasn't done anything relevant in years got 4.5 mill a year, kaman coming off his worst year and with only a few good years remaining got 5 mill a year.

Like I said...

Roland Brice wrote:Take 4 per season or GTFO.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,313

Post#16 » by mtcan » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:26 pm

His place in this league is stretch 4 off the bench for instant offence. He looked bad as a starter while Amir was out.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#17 » by IMAN5 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:34 pm

Roland Brice wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:

Like I said...

well how about we don't tell the best player off our bench to GTFO because you want Masai to lowball him with a terrible offer. He deserves a pay increase, and will get a fair offer from us. If it starts hitting 8-10 then yeah obviously I would let him go, but if the deal to match is 6mill a year we should retain him.
instagram.com/510movement
Roland Brice
Banned User

Post#18 » by Roland Brice » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:39 pm

IMAN5 wrote:
Roland Brice wrote:
IMAN5 wrote:

Like I said...

well how about we don't tell the best player off our bench to GTFO because you want Masai to lowball him with a terrible offer. He deserves a pay increase, and will get a fair offer from us. If it starts hitting 8-10 then yeah obviously I would let him go, but if the deal to match is 6mill a year we should retain him.

You pay guys what they're worth. Like I said, his biggest asset is his ability to stretch the floor which isn't a rare commodity in this league, even from bigs. Offering Patrick Patterson any more than 4 per season is going to come back to bite us in the butt. It's no coincidence that he didn't show any value until his contract season, and then in the exit interviews he mentioned how it hopes it gets him paid. Fishy.

Also, he's NOT our best player off the bench, that goes to Vasquez who played in our most successful lineup combinations.
Sandman88
Head Coach
And1: 6,527

Post#19 » by Sandman88 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 4:57 pm

Patterson will be better than Amir
yassillio
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#20 » by yassillio » Fri Jul 4, 2014 5:11 pm

4 Million ? Let's be real.. He will get Livingston money at approx. 19/3years
Also , where did the fascination with Aminu come out from ? I'd rather use Fields for the same purposes. Got size, good passer, can't shoot a 3 if his life depended on it.

I'm telling you, Vas+Lou+ PatPat on the second line up is plenty of shooting. Fields will compliment them quite nicely.

Klo, DD, Ross, Amir, Val + Lou, Swaggy V + PatPat is a very good 8 man rotation.
Leo: I tell players all the time

Return to Toronto Raptors