2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#801 » by Icness » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Grover wrote:Since your on the topic of running backs I have been wondering about your pre combine positional rankings where you named six and mentioned David Johnson at #11. Do you update the positional rankings before your last mock? Thanks Jeff.

Yes! Being done over the next few days. Hope to have offensive final rankings up Mon., defense up Tues. Top 406 will be posted Friday but that's more of a list, will do a little more detail in the positional breakdowns.

Final mock draft will be posted by midnight next Wed.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

2013 Ask Jeff Risdon a Question 

Post#802 » by Twolf16 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Icness wrote:
hermes wrote:hey jeff, any vikings news/rumors?

how likely is it my man schreff falls to 11 and would the vikings consider taking him?

I hope you like Trae Waynes 8-)

They're looking at a lot of the mid-round RBs, guys like David Cobb, David Johnson, Jeremy Langford, T.J. Yeldon. I'd expect one of those guys too.

I think Scherff will be there at 11. I also think the Vikings would take Andrus Peat instead of him. Sorry bro

Thanks for the responses, I know your busy. I'd rather have Peters, hoping Waynes is a smoke screen.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
aàaSzccevtdvpp
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#803 » by Icness » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:26 am

Some stream of consciousness "insider" info, courtesy of your drunken favorite (I hope) draftnik.

The Todd Gurley in Top 10 stuff is real. I don't buy the Jets at 6. I do buy the Bears at 7 but I really buy Atlanta at 8 if Beasley and Dupree are gone. San Diego at 17 is Gurley's floor, but I know Miami is very legitimate interested at 14.

I have been advised the Trae Waynes love exuded by Minnesota is a smokescreen. I implicitly trust the person who told me this, he's the same person who has tipped me off to them drafting Phil Loadholt, Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith, CPatt, and Barr in years past. This person told me the object of desire is Brandon Scherff, but they would also be quite happy taking Andrus Peat there. Look for a CB like Eric Rowe (that's my draft crush) or Jalen Collins in the 2nd. He did mention Breshad Perriman as a potential stunner too.

On those corners...the more I talk to people actually employed by NFL teams, the more I think the class as a whole slides later than expected. Trae Waynes is going pretty high--Houston, San Diego, maybe SF. Byron Jones could go to MIA or SF. Beyond that the Bengals might take one (my somewhat educated guess is Rowe). Pittsburgh and Kevin Johnson are the worst-kept secret in draft land this year, we'll see if everyone is right on that. My Lions are in the mix but they'll go OL over it unless Johnson or Jones are sitting pretty. Jones falls no later than Dallas, and don't rule out them trading up to land him.

I don't know exactly what Detroit is going to do, but I have a pretty strong idea of who and what they're looking at. Left tackle (to move Reiff to LG, where they currently have a black hole), outside CB with speed, 1-technique DT and speedy WR in that order are the potential picks at 23. DT or CB at 54 looks pretty realistic.

I wrote about it last week but this SD moving Rivers talk is very real. It could happen even if it doesn't land them Mariota. The Jets and Rams will call and talk. I'll still believe it when I see it but the Chargers are not going to lose Rivers without compensation unless they absolutely have to, and he's not moving to LA with them in 2016.

Don't be surprised if both Green Bay and Baltimore trade out of the first round. Baltimore is so commonly linked to either Melvin Gordon or Marcus Peters I'll be surprised if one of them isn't the pick. Peters will be there if they fall back a few spots. Packers interest in Stephone Anthony is real and they know they can get him at 40 if need be.

I'm writing this here just so I have a record, but a person I respect told me Benardrick McKinney is in play at #10 overall to the Rams. Same person also told me Kansas City is taking Cam Erving. We'll learn together if I can trust his info :football:

Houston is Bud Dupree's draft floor, unless by some freak of nature Devante Parker is still available to them. He's an incredibly divisive prospects for NFL teams. Some love him, others really don't see it. He will not be a 49er or a Lion.

For the Packers fans here--you will get a QB but it's not going to be I think y'all will like. It will not be oft-injured Bryce Petty, who will be almost 30 when Rodgers' deal is up. My money is on either Jake Waters or Taylor Heinicke. I like Waters and he's got the mobility, deep arm and testicular fortitude that org values.

Time for another Modelo. :beer:
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#804 » by Grover » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Awesome stuff Jeff. When the caffeine hits keep em coming.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#805 » by SpeedyG » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:44 am

Awesome stuff as always Jeff. Its' fun to hear these rumors and see how much of them actually stick come draft night :)
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,476

Post#806 » by Karmaloop » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:14 am

Always interesting to see other outlets.

I've heard from a few people that Dupree isn't getting past 6 unless Dante Fowler is miraculously still on the board. And speaking of Fowler, don't be surprised if Atlanta moves up to three or four to draft him assuming Jacksonville won't take him. Atlanta has a history of being aggressive and getting their guy (Julio Jones in 2011, Desmond Trufant in 201, and rumored to have been working on a deal with Jacksonville had the Texans taken Blake Bortles).

And speaking of Jacksonville, more of a gut feeling than anything else I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Amari Cooper at 3. Again, more of a gut feeling than anything else but Caldwell's history (both from Jacksonville and Atlanta) have shown a preference towards offense. Could see Atlanta and Jacksonville striking a deal there.

Everything I've heard is that Miami is getting extremely antsy. They want one of the top WR (Cooper, White, or Parker), so don't be surprised to see them wheel and deal on draft day despite not having a 3rd round pick. Giants could be a potential trading partner.

Right there with you on the Kevin Johnson to Pittsburgh connection.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#807 » by Icness » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:26 pm

Karmaloop wrote:Always interesting to see other outlets.

I've heard from a few people that Dupree isn't getting past 6 unless Dante Fowler is miraculously still on the board. And speaking of Fowler, don't be surprised if Atlanta moves up to three or four to draft him assuming Jacksonville won't take him. Atlanta has a history of being aggressive and getting their guy (Julio Jones in 2011, Desmond Trufant in 201, and rumored to have been working on a deal with Jacksonville had the Texans taken Blake Bortles).

And speaking of Jacksonville, more of a gut feeling than anything else I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted Amari Cooper at 3. Again, more of a gut feeling than anything else but Caldwell's history (both from Jacksonville and Atlanta) have shown a preference towards offense. Could see Atlanta and Jacksonville striking a deal there.

Everything I've heard is that Miami is getting extremely antsy. They want one of the top WR (Cooper, White, or Parker), so don't be surprised to see them wheel and deal on draft day despite not having a 3rd round pick. Giants could be a potential trading partner.

Right there with you on the Kevin Johnson to Pittsburgh connection.

I've heard rumblings with ATL moving up. Wouldn't surprise me.

I have three very strong MIA sources. All three have told me completely different things. I've heard D. Parker, I've heard Kevin Johnson, I've heard Gurley, I've heard Breshad Perriman is their #2 wideout, I've heard they'll move up for Scherff. I'm gonna wait and see :nod:
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#808 » by Icness » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Three tidbits I got today:

STL picked up the option on Michael Brockers. I was told they did this in order to facilitate a trade. Asking for a 2nd, might get it too. More likely they give up a 7th with him to get the 2nd or else it will be a 3rd if anyone bites. Saints (with all their picks) and Cowboys (who LOVED him in his draft) would appear to be the interested parties. I can factually verify they nearly dealt Brockers to Detroit at the trade deadline but the Lions couldn't extend his contract at that time. That door still open with Detroit too but my sense is they've made their DL trade for the year already with Ngata.

There is one mock draft selection beyond Winston and Mariota going 1-2 that I'm very confident with: Cameron Erving to Kansas City. That was reaffirmed to me today.

I don't agree with this, but look for the Bears to take a wideout at 7. They'd prefer Amari Cooper but be perfectly happy with Kevin White. If they're both gone--and they are in my final mock--it's Leonard Williams (he's the dropper if the WRs rise) or pray for a trade. And Landon Collins to CHI in the 2nd is a safe projection if he lasts that long.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,764

Post#809 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:18 pm

If St. Louis takes McKinney at #10, I will faint.
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#810 » by Karmaloop » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Sorry, not believing the Brockers rumors. The Rams finally have a good defense,and they're moving one of their young pieces? Just doesn't make sense.

This might sound odd, but I think Trae Waynes could be in for a mini-tumble on draft night. He's not getting out the first round, but I think if he gets past New Orleans at 13 he slips into that late 1st round range. This corner class doesn't have any clear definition, and it's going to be a "pick your flavor" of corners. Some teams will have certain guys rated differently. I anticipate Byron Jones being the first corner taken, possibly to Houston at 16.

I've resigned to the fact that Beasley and Gregory are going to fall. For Beasley, he's not having the McShay/Kper fall but he's going in that 12-20 range IMO. I've heard New Orleans really likes him, and teams like Houston would see too much value there. Gregory is falling out of the first IMO. Too many red flags and reports that's he's off of team's boards. Justin Houston 2.0

I anticipate a run on OT starting in the 12-25 range.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,764

Post#811 » by Cammo101 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:18 pm

I can't see a scenario where Waynes falls past New Orleans, but if he does Miami and San Fran right behind them could easily snatch him up.
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#812 » by Karmaloop » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Cammo101 wrote:I can't see a scenario where Waynes falls past New Orleans, but if he does Miami and San Fran right behind them could easily snatch him up.

From everything I've heard, Miami is going RB/WR with their first pick. They've been linked to Gurley, but I still maintain they want one of the top 3 WRs (Cooper, White, or Parker). I think they'd even take Perriman before Waynes. As for San Francisco, I think they're going Armstead assuming he makes it to them.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 928

Post#813 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:50 am

You're cutting it pretty close to your 11:59 EST deadline...
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#814 » by Icness » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:40 pm

Final mock is up. My laptop decided to spontaneously update itself at about 10:45 last night as I was on pick 227. Of course it froze for almost two hours.

Most of the first 100 or so picks were done on Monday so this ignores much of what we've heard this week. The only one I changed was moving Armstead to 15, I had Mario Edwards there.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,557

Post#815 » by El Turco » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:40 pm

anymore trade chatter?
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,410

Post#816 » by Slava » Mon May 4, 2015 7:57 pm

I've checked a few depth charts but is Johnny Football the default starting QB in Cleveland now?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#817 » by Grover » Tue May 5, 2015 4:02 pm

Many thanks for all of your insights over the last several months Jeff. I was wondering which site best tracks the mockster's hits and misses? Thanks again.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#818 » by Icness » Tue May 5, 2015 8:43 pm

[quote="Slava"]I've checked a few depth charts but is Johnny Football the default starting QB in Cleveland now?[/quote

Josh McCown will start, probably all of 2015. Then they'll see where Manziel is at.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#819 » by Icness » Tue May 5, 2015 8:46 pm

Grover wrote:Many thanks for all of your insights over the last several months Jeff. I was wondering which site best tracks the mockster's hits and misses? Thanks again.

The Huddle Report tracks those who enter their contest. Guys like Kiper and Mayock don't do that however. I missed the deadline this year because of PC issues, otherwise I would have finished 10th this year after being tied for last in '14.

I think maybe Walter Football does? Honestly I don't know that site very well.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#820 » by Icness » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Quick status update:

I am now doing my draft writing (aside from what I do here) at Draft Breakdown instead of Detroit Lions Draft. More national in scope and more tools to work with. The new ownership at Draft Breakdown has some interesting things in the works and the financial backing to do some really cool stuff.

Return to NFL Draft