[url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=35][img]/banners/was_wizards.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=124][img]/banners/was_nationals.png[/img][/url][url=/boards/viewforum.php?f=233][img]/banners/was_capitals.png[/img][/url]

Official 2015 Free Agency & Draft Thread

Moderator: LyricalRico

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Official 2015 Free Agency & Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by LyricalRico » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:39 pm

First shots fired:

The Redskins have signed defensive lineman Ricky Jean-Francois to a three-year deal, his agent Drew Rosenhaus confirmed.

The pact is worth $9 million with $4 million guaranteed, according to ESPN.

Jean-Francois, 28, spent the last two seasons with Indianapolis before getting released this offseason in a cost-saving move.

Last season, the 6-foot-3, 297-pound Jean-Francois recorded career highs in tackles (28), sacks (three) and passes defended (six).

He spent the first four years of his career in San Francisco, where new Redskins General Manager Scot McCloughan drafted him in the seventh round out of LSU in 2009.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... -francois/

Not earth shattering, but adding a solid player on a reasonable contract.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Re: Official 2015 Free Agency & Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by LyricalRico » Thu Mar 5, 2015 9:48 pm

Bears looking for a mid-round pick for Brandon Marshall?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... story.html

Problem is he makes $7.5M. Would probably be easier to just keep Garcon.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#3 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:54 pm

The latest on the status of the folks that could be on Washington's wish list:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... sports_pop

Safety
Devin McCourty (re-signing with Patriots)
Rahim Moore
Da’Norris Searcy
Kendrick Lewis
Louis Delmas
Mike Adams
Antrel Rolle
Marcus Gilchrist
Tyvon Branch (cut by Raiders, signing with Chiefs)

Cornerback
Darrelle Revis
Byron Maxwell (leaving Seahawks for Eagles)
Brandon Flowers (re-signing with Chargers)
Chris Culliver
Davon House (leaving Packers for Jaguars)
Walter Thurmond III
Tramon Williams
Kareem Jackson (re-signing with Texans)
Rashean Mathis
Cary Williams (cut by Eagles, signing with Seahawks)

Tackle
Bryan Bulaga
Doug Free (re-signing with Cowboys)
Derek Newton (re-signing with Texans)
Joe Barksdale
Orlando Franklin (leaving Broncos for Chargers)
Jermey Parnell (leaving Cowboys for Jaguars)
Michael Oher (leaving Titans for Panthers)

Interior O-line
Mike Iupati (leaving 49ers for Cardinals)
Franklin
Rodney Hudson (leaving Chiefs for Raiders)
James Carpenter (leaving Seahawks for Jets)
Clint Boling
Justin Blalock
Todd Herremans (cut by Eagles, signing with Colts)

Outside linebacker
Jason Worilds
Brian Orakpo
Trent Cole (cut by Eagles, signing with Colts)
Pernell McPhee (leaving Ravens for Bears)
Brandon Graham (re-signing with Eagles)
Sean Weatherspoon (close to leaving Falcons for Cardinals)

Defensive line
Ndamukong Suh (leaving Lions for Dolphins)
Nick Fairley
Jared Odrick (leaving Dolphins for Jaguars)
Dan Williams
Vince Wilfork
Terrance Knighton
Stephen Paea (close to leaving Bears for Redskins)

Lots of names already crossed off.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:46 pm

Here are the signings so far:

Stephen Paea - 4 year/$21 million deal. $7.5 mil in guaranteed money. 26 years old, and will probably be Cofield's replacement.

Terrance Knighton - 1 year/$4 million deal. This is a steal, he's the best man at Chris Bakers wedding and has been friends with him since they were kids. Elite run stopper.

Just signed, Chris Culliver to a 4 year/$32 million signing. Just 26, he's had off field issues but Pro Football Focus ranked him the 13th best corner in the league last season.

I really like these signings, these kids are young and they fill a need. If we can get one safety in free agency, I'd give our offseason an A.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Jeron Johnson, 2 year/$4 million deal. Probably our starting safety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by LyricalRico » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:12 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Jeron Johnson, 2 year/$4 million deal. Probably our starting safety.

Not overly excited about this one, but still an upgrade I guess. Still need a free safety badly.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#7 » by LyricalRico » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:22 pm

What's the plan at free safety? A few draft options:

Picking early in each round means Washington won’t have to spend pick No. 5 or 38 necessarily to get a crack at a free safety prospect. CBSSports.com has Ole Miss’s Cody Prewitt as its 64th-best prospect overall, and the best free available in the draft. Not far behind are No. 75 Damarious Randall of Arizona State, No. 94 Derron Smith of Fresno State and No. 110 Gerod Holliman of Louisville. Those are players who can be drafted in the third or fourth.

And while selecting one seems like a logical plan, remember that Washington went this route in 2013, drafting Thomas in the fourth and Bacarri Rambo in the sixth. Rambo has since been cut, and Thomas has been beset by injury. Those who have been fans for longer will recall the promise and quick fades of 2011 fifth-rounder Dejon Gomes and 2008 seventh-rounder Chris Horton.

Poking around a few mock drafts that go beyond the first round, Draftsite.com has Washington selecting Syracuse free safety Durrell Eskridge in Round 3. The San Diego Union-Tribune has them taking Prewitt with pick No. 38 in the second. Walter Football has Virginia’s Anthony Harris in the third.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... xt-season/

A pass rusher at #5, a guard or tackle in the 2nd, and then a free safety in the third? I could live with that.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Fri Apr 3, 2015 1:59 pm

Skins traded a '16 6th rounder for Dashon Goldson and a 2016 7th rounder from Tampa. So we have our starting safeties, at least for next season.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#9 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 3, 2015 7:36 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Skins traded a '16 6th rounder for Dashon Goldson and a 2016 7th rounder from Tampa. So we have our starting safeties, at least for next season.

Nice move, especially since they reportedly only take something like a $4M cap hit (TB picks up the rest). Add in a pass rusher with the first round pick and the defense will be ready to roll. After that, focus on the right side of the OL.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#10 » by Ruzious » Sat Apr 4, 2015 6:02 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Skins traded a '16 6th rounder for Dashon Goldson and a 2016 7th rounder from Tampa. So we have our starting safeties, at least for next season.

Nice move, especially since they reportedly only take something like a $4M cap hit (TB picks up the rest). Add in a pass rusher with the first round pick and the defense will be ready to roll. After that, focus on the right side of the OL.

If they add that pass-rusher, that's virtually a complete make-over of the D in one off-season. Pretty amazing. And they kept the few guys with talent from last year's roster.

Beasley would be the rush OLB that I'd want - he's the fastest and most productive of the group. Fowler is rated higher by some folks, but he's got pass rush issues similar to Orakpo. I'd prefer Ray over Fowler. And if Gregory slips to the second because of his marijuana issues - I think he has more potential than Fowler.

If Mariotta is there at 5, I'd be surprised and disappointed if they don't trade down.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#11 » by Wizardspride » Wed Apr 8, 2015 4:31 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/585593546465533952[/tweet]
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#12 » by LyricalRico » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:20 pm

Wizardspride wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlGaldi/status/585593546465533952[/tweet]

If he's talking about the Larry Michael interview, then I'm not so sure about that. Griffing didn't specifically he'd run the read-option. He said he'd do the things he does well, which may only be things he thinks he does well. I'd actually be surprised if he ever goes back to the 2012 offense.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Rafael122 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:04 pm

24 hours until the draft and no one seems to have a clue where Scot is going to go. I think he wants to trade down, but it sounds like that's contingent on what happens at 2, 3, and 4.

If no one trades with the Titans, I have to think the Browns would come up with 12, 19 and maybe another pick and get Mariota. If we stay at 5, I like Cooper. Surround RG 3 with weapons and figure it out.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:33 pm

Rafael122 wrote:24 hours until the draft and no one seems to have a clue where Scot is going to go. I think he wants to trade down, but it sounds like that's contingent on what happens at 2, 3, and 4.

If no one trades with the Titans, I have to think the Browns would come up with 12, 19 and maybe another pick and get Mariota. If we stay at 5, I like Cooper. Surround RG 3 with weapons and figure it out.

Most mocks have us taking Fowler - and GMSM does seem to like big OLBers. I just want them to pick BPA, and if Marshall is there, he's the BPA. Maybe Marshall being there is more of a reason for a trade down than the small chance that MM is there at 5. I'll predict a trade down to about 10, and they pick Bud Dupree - who's very much like Fowler.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#15 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Rafael122 wrote:24 hours until the draft and no one seems to have a clue where Scot is going to go. I think he wants to trade down, but it sounds like that's contingent on what happens at 2, 3, and 4.

The latest:

Selecting No. 5 overall, new general manager Scot McCloughan could be a seller for a team looking to jump up to nab a player.

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported on NFL AM that the Redskins are aggressively trying to trade down from the No. 5 spot, to add more picks to their current tally of seven selections.

"There's no question that the Redskins would like to trade down. The question is whether or not they're going to get value in doing that," Breer said. "They have seven picks right now over the next three days. Scot McCloughan said himself on Monday that he'd like to get that number closer to 10. The problem is the way this draft shakes out, you don't want to drop out of the top 15. They're limited to as how far they'd be willing to drop down and they'd still like to fortify those lines of scrimmage."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000489058/article/washington-redskins-looking-to-move-out-of-no-5-slot

Can't wait to see what happens!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Rafael122 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:26 pm

Man if Mariota drops....that's my big hope, doubtful that it happens at this point, but if he's there at 5 and Cleveland comes calling, give me your 12, 19, a 4th and next year's 1st.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by LyricalRico » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Man if Mariota drops....that's my big hope, doubtful that it happens at this point, but if he's there at 5 and Cleveland comes calling, give me your 12, 19, a 4th and next year's 1st.

I heard somebody on the radio earlier saying that 12+19 for #2 was technically overpaying going by the "point system". So to get 3 firsts for the #5 seems like a huge markup. But it is Cleveland, so anything's possible. :D
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by Rafael122 » Fri May 1, 2015 12:45 am

They selected Scherff, not a sexy pick but he improves the offensive line tremendously. From most accounts he was the top o-line prospect in this draft, so we'll see. Looks like Scot built the defense in free agency and is trying to build the o-line in the draft.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 1, 2015 12:56 am

Rafael122 wrote:They selected Scherff, not a sexy pick but he improves the offensive line tremendously. From most accounts he was the top o-line prospect in this draft, so we'll see. Looks like Scot built the defense in free agency and is trying to build the o-line in the draft.

They were talking about him playing guard next to Trent, but if you take a guy #5 he's gotta fill that hole at RT IMO.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by LyricalRico » Fri May 1, 2015 12:58 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/andypollin1/status/593938609209741313[/tweet]

Return to Washington Football Team