ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft/ International Signing Day?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Draft/ International Signing Day? 

Post#1 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:39 am

looks like we went with the college arm theory. Maybe we're trying to fast track live arms to the big leagues?

I like the Buehler kid though. Live arm. Nice change up and slider.
People had this kid coming up out of the bullpen THIS SEASON before he was ever attached to us.
the MLB Network guys said his delivery was too quick.
I dunno…Ned you're pretty good with spotting mechanics.

Internationally.
I just hope all the Yadier Alvarez talk is true and we can pick him up.
I think Ranma was big on Lucius Fox? I haven't checked him out.

thoughts? where you'd like us to go with international signings?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dodgers Draftees and Upcoming Targets 

Post#2 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:27 am

The Dodgers had a solid draft overall even though we didn't get more higher upside prospects. I was disappointed we missed out on LHP Brady Aiken and OF Garrett Whitley at 24th overall, SS Kyle Holder at 35th overall, C Lucas Herbert at 74th overall, and that we didn't take a gamble on RHP Tristan Beck with a Day 3 pick even though he's a hard Stanford commitment. I usually prefer prep prospects with more potential but I'm fine with selecting RHP Walker Beuhler over RHP Mike Nikorak.

RHP Kyle Funkhouser is reportedly seriously considering going back to school but I'm also fine with losing him in favor of getting the 36th pick in next year's draft as compensation. Funkhouser supposedly has potential as a preseason #1 overall pick possibility for 2015 but his control issues and having Scott Boras as his agent aren't exactly selling points. Still, he'd probably be a top-10 prospect in the Dodgers' developmental system right now along the lines of Chris Anderson.

I particularly like the drafting of prep prospects OF Mitch Hansen, SS Brendon Davis, and RHP Imani Abdullah. Hansen is getting Shawn Green comparisons with solid projections across the board. Davis is really lanky and looks more like a 3B but was a former elite CA prospect before breaking his wrist. The Dodgers think highly enough of Abdullah to have Magic Johnson recruit him with a congratulatory phone call. I also like that the Dodgers drafted multiple C prospects on Day 3.

I guess the drafting of more advanced college prospects will stabilize our organizational depth and should complement our upcoming international signings. Speaking of which, yes, I'm fairly sold on SS Lucius Fox, who I've read somewhere might have been a top-10 consideration in the just concluded 2015 draft had he remained stateside. Personally, I'd have rather had either Aiken or Whitley over Fox and neither was selected that high. The Dodgers are rumored to be the current favorite to sign Fox, Yadier Alvarez, Starling Heredia, and Ronny Brito as well as being in play for whomever interests them due to their spending power. Notable prospects include OF Eddy Julio Martinez and RHP Vladimir Gutierrez.

Martinez is arguably the top prospect in the upcoming July 2nd international talent pool with comparisons to a young Andruw Jones, however, there are conflicting reports as to how athletic he really is. Plus, it was just recently reported that the Yankees made a run to sign him before the signing freeze. Having failed that, NYY is now basically locked out of the next two signing periods for high-level prospects. There are also some conflicting reports as to whether Alvarez is even the best pitching prospect in the upcoming international class with some arguing that Gutierrez is better, but since the Dodgers passed over Yoan Moncada, in large part to sign both him and Heredia, I have faith that both prospects along with Fox will be the big 3 signings that will spearhead our 2015 international class.

An interesting turn of events concerns the Gourriel brothers given their absences from their respective teams leading to speculation that one or both may be making themselves available for either the upcoming signing period or the next one in 2016. 3B Yulieski is 31 years-old and is considered to possibly be the most talented Cuban prospect not yet in the US, however, he's also exhibited motivational issues due to the lack of competition and is fond of the Yankees, particularly idolizing Alex Rodriguez. In any case, I'm actually more interested in his younger brother, Lourdes, anyway. While the elder brother is ranked 1st among Cuban players, Lourdes Jr. the shortstop is 21 years-old and ranked 4th. Keep in mind that if the Gourriels were to make themselves available in either of the next two signing periods, the Yankees--as well as the Red Sox--would not be able to offer either of them more than $300,000. Hopefully, the Gourriels will apply for and establish eligibility for the 2015 international signing class in order for the Dodgers to be able to add to their anticipated haul. As I mentioned, I'm quite interested in Lourdes Jr., but I'd obviously take both in a package deal.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Kiley McDaniel's Sortable July 2nd Prospects Board 

Post#3 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Click on image to access table.

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Draft/ International Signing Day? 

Post#4 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:26 am

Fox looks so tiny.
I see he can hit from both sides of the plate. Anything on how his hit tool is projected to turn out once he gets stronger?

Next Furcal?
I see he can fly too. I see why you were so big on him. He could be the SS option when Seager inevitably moves over to 3rd.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Fox Projection 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:54 am

Fox is indeed skinny but he reportedly gained about 15 lbs. of muscle to his current listing. While this weight increase has improved his power and arm strength a bit, he's still projected to be a contact hitter with maybe doubles power. Scouts like him currently at SS but some feel he will eventually move to CF or possibly 2B given that his current fielding actions don't seem to indicate a long-term fit (at least without further development). Also, it's doubtful that he'll develop the same cannon-arm as Rafael Furcal's.

I mentioned before that some felt that he was a possible top-10 consideration for the 2015 draft, but I personally feel he's not worthy of such a selection slot. In fact, I wanted the Dodgers to go after SS Kyle Holder after the 24th overall selection but he was selected by the Yankees with the 30th overall selection. In hindsight, the Dodgers were better off going with Kyle Funkhouser at the 35th draft slot and Mitch Hansen at 67th.

In any case, I liked Holder at SS more than Fox since Holder is actually major-league-ready right now with the glove for that position even if his bat is questionable. Holder would have immediately replaced Esribel Arruebarrena as the organization's top defensive SS prospect even though I'm not sure who actually has the better glove between those two, but given Arruebarrena's discipline problems, Holder would have easily vaulted ahead of him. Like you said, Holder would have at the very least provided reliable insurance for Corey Seager's expected eventual move to 3B.

In any case, I'd be happy to get Fox regardless as he'd be a nice pick-up for the organization. I miss Dee Gordon and Fox could provide a reasonable facsimile even if I don't think his speed is quite as good as Gordon's, though his bat could be better than Dee's. However, the shortstop that I am most intrigued by is Lourdes Gourriel, Jr. but we just don't know what exactly is going to happen with him and his brother right now.

The Dodgers are long thought to have secured an agreement with SS Ronny Brito, whose development a scout purportedly is comparing to Phillies prospect J.P. Crawford's. He looks to be a solid prospect who will need developmental time. Brito supposedly has a good glove but needs work with his bat.
Ranma
RealGM

MLB's Top 30 International Prospects 

Post#6 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:29 am

Top 30 2015 International Prospect Rankings
(click on profile images for respective videos)

Ranma
RealGM

Losing Lucius Fox? 

Post#7 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:07 am

Giants are supposedly now the front-runner for Fox with extra $1 million price tag. Let's see if the Dodgers will up the ante. At least Alvarez looks to be locked up.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#8 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:07 pm

Ranma always on top of things.
Props.

looks like Heredia is here as well as Brito.
We need to outbid SF for Lucius Fox. He's a guy that will probably terrorize us for years to come.
Ranma
RealGM

International Signings 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:31 pm

Thanks, Quake. :D

Looks like Lucius Fox jumped to our archrival Giants for $6 million while the Dodgers reportedly only offered $4 million, which was $1.5 million less than what was initially projected by McDaniel. Either the Dodgers didn't meet his asking price or were not pleased with Fox reneging on handshake deal.

In any case, while I'm disappointed in losing out on Fox, I'm really hopeful that we get Lourdes Gourriel, Jr. Haven't heard anything lately about him and his brother, but they may be in hiding trying to establish residency in another country. Also, with the US and Cuba opening embassies in each other's territory, it does look promising that the Gourriel brothers will be in play during this signing period albeit later. Lourdes is the international SS prospect I am most interested in.

Top-ranked international prospect Eddy Julio Martinez is still in play and won't decide until later on in the process. The Dodgers reportedly scouting OF Yusniel Diaz and 3B Luis Yander La O sounds intriguing but likely to be unavailable for this signing period.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Yusniel Diaz 

Post#10 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Jon Heyman, CBS Sports (7/2/15)
They also have been scouting Cuban outfielder Yusniel Diaz, also 19, who had a big year for the Industriales team in the Cuban League and might have been an MVP candidate had he not defected. He is seen as another future star. The Tigers are among many other teams to take a peek at Diaz ...

Inside Baseball: 12 Possible Sellers, Who Might Go and Proposed Deals
Ranma
RealGM

Summary of Signings So Far 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Eric Stephen, TrueBlueLA.com (7/2/15)
Ramon Rosso

The Dodgers also apparently signed right-handed pitcher Ramon Rosso, a 6'4, 190-pound 19-year-old, though the bonus is unknown and again the club hasn't announced any of these deals yet officially.

Starling Heredia, Yadier Alvarez, Ronny Brito Highlight Day 1 of Dodgers International Signing Period

Duston Nosler, DodgersDigest.com (7/2/15)
Even if the Dodgers don’t sign Martinez, the signing period is off to a fantastic start, and it’s just the first day! There are still 349 days left in the 2015-16 international signing period, and there are some guys no one really knows about (not even yours truly) who will become available at a later date.

But, there are some known commodities who either are available and unsigned or should become available sometime in the next 11-plus months:

RHP Vladimir Gutierrez (19, Cuba)
RHP Norge Ruiz (21, Cuba)
RHP Yasiel Sierra (23, Cuba)
3B Luis Yander La O (THAT NAME, 23, Cuba)

There are others, and McDaniel said on the most recent episode of the FanGraphs podcast that there are 7-8 guys awaiting MLB approval, and he figures the Dodgers could sign at least half of them. This doesn’t even account for the Olivera/Yoan Moncada types who could pop up later in the year.

The period runs from July 2 through June 15. The Dodgers have $2,020,300 to spend on bonuses for international prospects without any penalties. As you can plainly see, they’re way past that. They might be able to trade some of their slot amounts to teams that don’t want to incur financial penalties, because what’s a couple million bucks less on their final spending amount. As of now, they’ve committed $21.55 million to the four guys who have reportedly agreed to deals.

They can acquire more slot money in trades, but they won’t. If they were to, they could not acquire more than 50 percent of their original bonus allotment, or $1,010,150.

Yadier Alvarez, Starling Heredia Highlight Dodgers’ July 2 Signings

I guess Luis Yander La O might be in play for the Dodgers, after all. I'm hoping the Gourriel brothers will be among the mystery signings awaiting MLB approval. Plus, I get the sense that Vladimir Gutierrez will be another Dodgers signing. Also, as Nosler predicted, the Dodgers traded some of their international signing slots for Blue Jays prospects, which is a little surprising because I figured they would be more inclined to acquire more signing slots, which is still possible given that the Angels, Red Sox, Rangers, and Yankees can't use the entirety of their respective pool money.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Cuban Defection and More Prospects for Salary Slot 

Post#12 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 3, 2015 7:37 am

Now I know why La O may be available for the current signing period with word of his defection being reported. The Dodgers trade another signing slot for a couple of prospects in OF Jordan Paroubeck and RHP Caleb Dirks. Paroubeck was drafted by the Padres during Byrnes and Gasparino's time with San Diego.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Byrnes' Thoughts on 2015 Class of International Signings 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:55 am

Alvarez is 6'2, 170 pounds, and the Dodgers were enamored with his live arm dating back to December.

"He's one of the more talented teenage right-handed pitchers we've seen. A lot of us have been doing this a long time," said Josh Byrnes, Dodgers senior vice president of baseball operations. "He has a prototypical body, with high-end velocity. We've seen him consistently 92-97 mph, occasionally touching 99-100. There is very little effort, a pretty good feel for secondary pitches, and he's a pretty good strike-thrower.

"He's got a long way to go, but his foundation, his ingredients for his age are pretty rare, so we're excited to have him."

Yadier Alvarez Likely to Remain in Dominican Republic for 2015 Season

Dominican outfielder Starling Heredia got $2.6 million from the Dodgers. The Dominican Prospect League called the 6'1, 190-pound 16-year-old "one of the strongest players in the 2015 class and one of the most aggressive in all phases of the game."

Byrnes had high praise for Heredia.

"He's very comparable at least in physique to Kirby Puckett. A fireplug body. They call him 'The Pitbull' down there," Byrnes said. "He has a real strength and speed combination with a very strong body, and he can really run."

"Brito has a real chance [to remain at shortstop]. He's a nice combination of tools and skills, to be able to play short and swing the bat," Byrnes said. "Cruz with his body type probably won't stay there, and may or may not go to the outfield. He's tall - 6'4, 6'5 - a left-handed hitter, with Gregory Polanco-type comps. He may have a hard time staying at shortstop."

In addition to the six signings covered earlier on Thursday, the Dodgers signed three more players - 17-year-old Dominican outfielder Carlos Rincon, 16-year-old switch-hitting Venezuelan shortstop Luis Rodriguez, and 16-year-old Nicaraguan second baseman Aldo Espinoza.

Josh Byrnes on Starling Heredia, Ronny Brito, Oneil Cruz & More

Jon Weisman, Dodger Insider (7/2/15)
“A lot of times, it’s first and foremost the tools, but also getting to know the player as a person, then seeing him as much as we can in game situations,” Byrnes said. “At the end of the day, it requires some imagination (and) some experience, because at 16, there’s not quite as much information as we’d have drafting a college junior.”

“Whether it’s this arena, the draft (or) trades,” Byrnes said, “since I’ve walked in, from Stan Kasten and ownership on down, we’re going to do everything we can to build our own talent flow through our own system. We all know the benefits of that, so any place we can be aggressive, scout and find players, we’ve tried to take that approach.”

By breaking their limit this time around, the Dodgers will be capped in their ability to offer high bonuses to international players over the next two signing periods, but they are prepared for the consequences.

“You’re never satisfied — you always want more players,” Byrnes said, “with the end result that you want impact players, guys that are real difference makers, and you also want depth, and that requires a little bit of a balancing act. I think we’ve inherited a system in very good shape, and we’re constantly going to try to improve it.

“It’s sometimes hard to foresee what the next wave of talent is going to look like, so we saw enough from this group that we decided to act on it.”

Teenagers are No Wasteland for Dodger International Scouts
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#14 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:08 pm

Is Eddy Julio Martinez still in play or we're capped out?
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#15 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:40 pm

Looks like the Giants are in on Eddy Julio Martinez as well.

We can't be out bid for that guy.
Ranma
RealGM

Lucius Fox vs. Eddy Julio Martinez 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Fri Jul 3, 2015 6:28 pm

To be honest, I'm more bummed about losing out on Fox than I am at the prospects of missing out on Martinez even as EJM has the higher upside. I miss the dynamics of Dee Gordon and Fox has similar characteristics that I would welcome back into your organization. However, like I said before, signing Lourdes Gourriel, Jr.--assuming he'll be available--would alleviate my disappointment.

While multiple teams are pursuing Martinez, I get the sense that the Cubs and Giants are our biggest challengers to signing him. I wouldn't be heartbroken in losing out on him despite his potential, but it's always nice to add high-end prospects into our developmental system even if only for having eventual trade assets. The Dodgers are not going to be outbid for anyone they really want. After all, the organization traded its entire salary slots for the international pool to acquire prospects from other teams in order to be taxed more in their spending. Money will not be an obstacle, it'll just be a matter of value and mutual fit. Although it does seem odd that we were outbid by the Giants by maybe $2 million ($4 million including taxation) for Fox.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#17 » by Neddy » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:56 pm

buying prospects for essentially cash and hoarding them, has all the looks of a big name trade coming up soon.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Dealing Package of Prospects 

Post#18 » by Ranma » Sat Jul 4, 2015 10:38 pm

I had similar feelings but Buehler and Funhkouser remain unsigned so dealing the likes of Chris Anderson and maybe Zach Lee doesn't seem feasible until we do. I'm fine with building a package that includes Scott Schebler, Darnell Sweeney, Chris Reed, and Anderson. Hopefully, we can hold onto Jose De Leon and Julian Leon.

Personally, I'm hoping to make a deal with the Reds for Johnny Cueto and Aroldis Chapman.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Re: Dealing Package of Prospects 

Post#19 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Jul 5, 2015 1:29 am

Ranma wrote:I had similar feelings but Buehler and Funhkouser remain unsigned so dealing the likes of Chris Anderson and maybe Zach Lee doesn't seem feasible until we do. I'm fine with building a package that includes Scott Schebler, Darnell Sweeney, Chris Reed, and Anderson. Hopefully, we can hold onto Jose De Leon and Julian Leon.

Personally, I'm hoping to make a deal with the Reds for Johnny Cueto and Aroldis Chapman.

Wouldn't you want a younger pitcher, like one of those Mets guys, that we can control?
I don't want to deal with trying to re-sign Cueto after the year is over….but Aroldis DOES make that deal worth it.

I dunno. My buddy and I toy around with which guy we want at the deadline and he is right in your camp and with the Cueto/ Aroldis rumor.

I'd be happy either way but ya know…just asking.
Ranma
RealGM

Controlled Assets 

Post#20 » by Ranma » Sun Jul 5, 2015 1:57 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Wouldn't you want a younger pitcher, like one of those Mets guys, that we can control?
I don't want to deal with trying to re-sign Cueto after the year is over….but Aroldis DOES make that deal worth it.

I dunno. My buddy and I toy around with which guy we want at the deadline and he is right in your camp and with the Cueto/ Aroldis rumor.

I'd be happy either way but ya know…just asking.

I actually agree with you in preferring young pitchers over rentals who are pending free agents, generally speaking, but I don't see any young pitchers on the market who are available and worth pursuing by giving up assets since I also prefer to rely on our farm development over going after someone outside the organization. However, the Cueto-Chapman package, like you said, makes it worth it since we're also getting another year of Chapman, I believe.

While I'm confident that we would re-sign Cueto, I really don't like giving up valuable prospects for a guy we could get for free. Having said that, both Chapman and Cueto would help our postseason chances even as our stalled offense is the culprit for our recent struggles. I'm really also interested in pursuing a trade if we can get those two without giving up our high-quality prospects. I'm hoping to explore a deal where we give up more quantity than quality. I can live without the aforementioned prospects of Schebler, Sweeney, Reed, and Anderson in our system.

I'm not saying that we have to make a deal. Just that I'm inclined to make one for Cueto and Chapman for a quantity package of prospects. Do you have another deal in mind? What available young pitchers are you keen on? Outside of Matt Harvey, I don't know enough about the other Mets pitchers to be enamored with them.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers