ImageImageImageImageImage

The Colin Kaepernick Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 19,472

Kaep signs 6 year extension 

Post#1 » by Mamba Mentality » Wed Jun 4, 2014 7:59 pm

The #49ers have agreed to terms on a 6-year mega-extension with star QB Colin Kaepernick that could eclipse $20M per year, source says.

For #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick: It’s a 6-year extension worth up to $126M with $60M guaranteed, source says. Under contract through 2020
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Re: Kaep signs 6 year extension 

Post#2 » by dr3am » Wed Jun 4, 2014 8:28 pm

GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#3 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jun 4, 2014 9:35 pm

Interested to see to more of the details from some of the cap guys out there, given their reputation when it comes to crunching numbers, I think the 49ers know what they are doing.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#4 » by thesack12 » Wed Jun 4, 2014 10:18 pm

Kaep getting some serious bank. Thats a lot, but when 2nd/3rd tier guys like Flacco and Cutler recently signed similar caliber extensions, this is a relative bargain for Kaep.

The side effect on this, is now its obviously going to be a lot tougher to continue to compete for championships because they no longer have a bargain QB on the salary cap. So that obviously is going to make it tougher to retain the talent/add talent throughout the roster. Kaep's massive looming extension is one of the main reasons I have been so critical of Frisco's past 3 drafts. They didn't do much to "win now" in any of those drafts. Their best chance to win a super bowl was when Kaep's cap number was miniscule, thats now no longer the case.

But, I'm quite happy they got the deal done. There was no chance they were going to let him walk, and they got the deal done without having to use the franchise tag and all that stupid stuff. I'm also glad they got the deal done prior to the QB market exploding when guys like Wilson/Newton/Luck are coming due shortly.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,728

Post#5 » by gswhoops » Sat Jun 7, 2014 6:42 pm

With all the details about the contract coming out, this is looking like a great deal for both sides.

Niners can get out of this contract at basically any point if they want/need to. And for Kap, if he plays like an All-Pro he's going to get paid like one.
VirtualGM
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#6 » by VirtualGM » Wed Jul 2, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm glad we locked him up we need stability at the QB position. His work ethic seems to be off the charts and when your making that type of money it's always good to see them go out and work for it every day and prove the doubters wrong as I think he definitely will do
generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

The Colin Kaepernick Thread 

Post#7 » by generaldreedle » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:55 am

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: 49ers ruined Kaepernick 

Post#8 » by I_am_1z » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:38 am

How come no one's talking about what Joe Buck said? He met with Geep Chryst and he has Chryst on record saying, (Paraphrasing, maybe) "We're willing to run Kaepernick, because we like Blaine Gabbert so much." This completely goes against the Tomsula presser that said players aren't disposable. Which I think is a snide at Harbaugh not caring about his players health.

How soon is too soon for Gabbert? Or should he already be in?
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#9 » by RedneckNiner » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:00 am

I don't think the Niners ruined Kaepernick. I think we as fans and I was guilty of this with the hate for Roman's playcalling were not fully cognizant of how the offense was designed to protect Kaepernick and play to his strengths and hide his weaknesses. Last year I think with increasing pressure from Baalke they tried to open up the playbook for Kaep and his weaknessess became more apparent. And now with a new staff his weaknessess are glaringly obvious. Harbaugh and staff were smart and savvy enough to build the offense that showcased the best of Kaep and hid the worst. Now we are seeing the real Kaep. Teams know who he is and will continue to stack against the run and force Kaep to beat them... until the season is over or until he shows he can improve and starts beating them.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Post#10 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:20 am

Lets not pretend that Kap was as his best when Harbaugh left. The offense has been trending downward the past couple of years. When Harbaugh took over in 2011, the 49ers probably had the most talented roster in the NFL or close to it. The 49ers dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, While the oline might not have been the best pass blocking line, they were excellent run blockers and the QBs had the support to win. the defense remained strong throughout but the offense began to get worse a couple of years ago. The 49er oline had injuries last year and Harbaugh started his guy Jonathan Martin who was awful. The 49ers should have been 10-6 if it not for the offense caving in last year.
badazzk9
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#11 » by badazzk9 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:45 am

I_am_1z wrote:How come no one's talking about what Joe Buck said? He met with Geep Chryst and he has Chryst on record saying, (Paraphrasing, maybe) "We're willing to run Kaepernick, because we like Blaine Gabbert so much." This completely goes against the Tomsula presser that said players aren't disposable. Which I think is a snide at Harbaugh not caring about his players health.

Where is this sound bite? Id like to hear it.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 816

Post#12 » by arich35 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:59 am

I_am_1z wrote:How come no one's talking about what Joe Buck said? He met with Geep Chryst and he has Chryst on record saying, (Paraphrasing, maybe) "We're willing to run Kaepernick, because we like Blaine Gabbert so much." This completely goes against the Tomsula presser that said players aren't disposable. Which I think is a snide at Harbaugh not caring about his players health.

That was extremely weird. Sorry to say it but I don't think any coach would say that. Joe Buck probably decided to take out some words because Joe Buck
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#13 » by NinerSickness » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:06 am

I don't remember the last time people made so many excuses for a quarterback than our own DumbDumb.

The dude is LOST out there as a QB. Anyone who can't see that simply doesn't understand football. He has a fast start just like other mobile QBs who ended up sucking (RGIII, Cam, Vince Young, etc), but he's been figured out.

He's not going to be the starting QB next year. He's proven that he isn't a good QB. Even Baalke will realize it's time to move on after this year. He'll go to some other team & maybe start, but he'll be below average there too. The dude just doesn't have the brains to be good. Time for all the homers to admit they were homers and move on. They're embarrassing themselves.
generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

Post#14 » by generaldreedle » Mon Oct 5, 2015 1:56 pm

Whatever is going on with him, and no matter who's fault it is, he looks completely befuddled out there.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#15 » by I_am_1z » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:37 pm

badazzk9 wrote:

Where is this sound bite? Id like to hear it.

https://youtu.be/CSHecZd29gM?t=1h38m

It'll be in its own thread
I_am_1z
Starter

Geep Chryst in a meeting with Joe Buck said... 

Post#16 » by I_am_1z » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:40 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSHecZd29gM?t=1h38m[/youtube]

"We're not scared to run Colin Kaepernick on the read option, because we like Blaine Gabbert so much"

1 Hour 38 minute 00 second mark
B-King
Rookie
And1: 204

Re: Geep Chryst in a meeting with Joe Buck said... 

Post#17 » by B-King » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:17 pm

Got to love the new leadership. Promoting Chryst was probably the worst mistake the Niners made among HC, DC and OC.
badazzk9
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Geep Chryst in a meeting with Joe Buck said... 

Post#18 » by badazzk9 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:35 pm

When does Boone mouth "Quarterback"?
B-King
Rookie
And1: 204

Post#19 » by B-King » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:52 pm

I hope (even though I don't know how) that Kap turns it around. The worse indicator to me was watching him on the sidelines after throwing the picks to Arizona. He was the sideline rather emotionless. It looked like the second coming of Rex Grossman. A guy who could throw picks in a game and still look stoic.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#20 » by MHSL82 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 7:08 pm

B-King wrote:I hope (even though I don't know how) that Kap turns it around. The worse indicator to me was watching him on the sidelines after throwing the picks to Arizona. He was the sideline rather emotionless. It looked like the second coming of Rex Grossman. A guy who could throw picks in a game and still look stoic.

I think he looks stoic out there because he cares too much what others think. I often think the people that like to put it out there they don't care, care the most.

I know I always bring him up and he is not great quarterback, but Alex Smith said that after that "we want Carr" chant, that's when he stopped really caring what people thought about him. He finished that season with 10 touchdowns and two interceptions after that. Part of that was Mike Johnson being the offensive coordinator (not saying that Johnson's a great OC, just saying that there was less film on what he was going to do), and obviously taking a safe approach to playing, but not caring what other people think can't get you out of a funk.

Return to San Francisco 49ers